Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi is open source. It is not free source, as in other people are not allowed to take the source and fork it / use it for other things. If you are a free software fundamentalist that's a problem, but in that case you're not using "Firefox" right now either. You're using Iceweasel, on a linux machine with no closed source parts, and eating your toe jam.

And the core of the browser is chromium which is free open source of course.

Thank you for those very informative posts! I just joined the thread a few days ago on a justified hunch that it'd have a lot of reverts for the latest update. As a former terminal nerd who swapped over to Ubuntu ~10 years ago and is busily trying to forget what a command line looks like, are there any low-effort, GUI-mature browsers that you'd recommend with a solid user base (for the inevitable googling of bugs...)? I've been using Firefox out of mostly inertia ever since the Mozilla suite and have been dreading the swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KozmoNaut posted:

Or you know, realize that a slight change of UI appearance is not the end of the world.

I hope someone moves your toothbrush every few days.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For gently caress's sake, really? The article even lists why it's an annoying change: No, I don't need to clutter my DL folder with small disposable files like pdfs and torrents.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm cautious of updates on these alternative browsers.

Like Vivaldi didn't even finish setting up before getting a fatal bug. Iceweasel has been renamed (never a good sign), and its front page has a timestamp that's years outdated. Yikes, people.

Waterfox installed cleanly, has an updated github page, and looks like it's pulling updates from the main firefox branch, so maybe there's hope there? It also restored Unity UI functionality, something that I didn't know how much I missed and is probably a killer feature for me on Ubuntu.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

astral posted:

Please keep the program you use to access and interact with the internet up to date so it gets useful things like critical security updates.

People burn out on that though; lots of software has 'security updates' that have bloat piggybacked onto it (Microsoft was terrible for this a while ago, unsure about nowadays). Even stuff like some email clients don't have legacy support, devs understandably only want to maintain one rolling release.

The 'correct' thing to do is just update and accept any and all changes, but people have breaking points.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I suspect that it's prompting without clicking on the link first, but you'd have to ask Im_Special. The mailto: links have been around for ages and have known behavior so I'd be surprised if people didn't want/like them working as intended.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh for gently caress'S SAKE. Firefox just updated to 94.0, and changed a bunch of small look&feel stuff, AGAIN. I'm on Ubuntu so I may be behind in the curve, hopefully you've all seen & dealt with this crap already.

New page / tab shortcuts are all shrunk, with micro-sized icons in them instead of fullsize previews or expanded icons as per before. Other small stuff on the SA forum in particular include dropdown menus being different (no biggie) [edit: removed], and a few other image/buttons look wrong. All minor stuff compared to the new page / tab thing looking fugly for no reason.

If I find a fix to that only firefox/unity menu issue I swear I'll hop to waterfox and never look back, this is really antagonizing constantly having to fix things.

vv edit: cheers, after testing it's only the megathreads suffering from slowdown which apparently I never noticed before. But yea, that's not really an issue compared to constantly have to arm-wrestle to keep the new page tab and navigation bar acting the same.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Goddamn, what lovely, petty thing to do.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Klyith posted:

There is definitely an aspect of the typical power-nerd super compact "no wasted space" UI that is getting unsustainable, between high-DPI screens and aging eyes. On my desktop I userChrome'd FF back into an almost-exact replica of what my FF has looked like for the last near decade. But on my laptop I did a much smaller set of tweaks. It's a denser screen so a little bit of padding wasn't a bad thing.

I was about to say that "as long as the UI has a scale setting it shouldn't matter", then realized that I don't know of any way of doing that to the browser's UI. System-wide yes, webpage content yes, but not the browser UI. I guess it's not needed if your OS's UI is consistent across applications, but webrowsers are often their own ecosystem so that may not apply to everyone. Or anyone.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've lightly used waterfox since it reverted the UI and basically felt like "firefox, but five years ago". I've not fully migrated yet due to a UI bug in linux I'm too lazy to hunt down and squash.

I know that's not the in-depth review you might like, but I suspect that anyone who's fully migrated no longer checks this thread.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nono, I'm on linux too and firefox's spellcheck is something truly special. It's not a localization thing as all of those are installed correctly, it's sometimes not knowing commonly used words, or perhaps it knows the word you misspelled but won't suggest it, like for (fake-) example if you typo "aggresife" it'd suggest "alimony".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's this about youtube performance?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Aw jesus christ, firefox changed it's UI again, breaking Unity integration even more, yet again. So I'm not sure if I'm ahead or behind the curve with 106.0.2, but does anyone know ways of reversing this so I get my menus back?

Why the gently caress am I still messing with this POS instead of just migrating to waterfox/etc I do not know.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea it's probably time to upgrade the OS again, I've been putting it off. Turns out waterfox classic is no longer getting security updates so I'll have to jump ship properly rather than using this hacked up 20.04.

I know it sounds like a contradiction, but I'm both greatly irritated by Firefox's constant tweaking of the UI while also being disappointed in how the Gnome desktop still works every time I try it, trapped in a shinier version of win95's sensibilities. It's been a few years, might have to give it another go...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
(Sorry about the Linux derail btw)

The Merkinman posted:

Why used a hacked 20.04 install where there isUbuntu Unity ?
I mean, no duh, except one required a flatten and reinstall for a new fork in 2020 while instead I could have (and did) just hit a button to upgrade my existing install and then flick a switch to re-enable Unity. I'm lazy, and will eventually look into doing it 'right'.

I suppose I should be thankful? Firefox, like many other software niggles before it, eventually gets so thorny and uncomfortable that I have to get off my arse and fix things.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 2, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there a way to disable that HTML (?) feature that tracks if the page/tab is in focus and being viewed? I remember finding out it's name a while back when I was puzzled at why certain youtube pages refused to play in the background, but I've since forgotten the name and can't seem to find it again.

I've already murdered a lot of functionality on my browser, so losing this won't change much except make my life easier as I've never noticed the feature except when used maliciously against the user.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

karoshi posted:

It's the "visibilitychange" event.

Beautiful, thank you. Slam that into the Firefox Extension search, comes up with one hit which does exactly what I need it to do, great stuff.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not seen a youtube ad since... ever? on my own machine. I am continually shocked to find out that they exist when I hear them when another person pulls out their phone. So in other words, if you're hearing them then something's gone wrong with your main adblocker.

Facebook ads apparently where a more slippery moving target and I eventually got sick of occasionally seeing them so I grabbed a dedicated extension and it's been fine since.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh joy, firefox's UI got modernized again for me. /s

All of the menus (eg. menu bar and context both), are now rather "bubbly" with rounded corners and dead space, and need more mouse movement to select the first option. Any ideas on how to disable this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

astral posted:

Can you post a screenshot of what you're talking about?
Entertainingly, both context menus and dropdowns (File, Edit, etc.) don't seem to show up in screenshots. The menus use more pixels now, for slick rounded corners and a bit of dead space between the highlightable options and the edge of the list, likewise with spacers. Menu options also have a weird colour bar underneath them when their menu is opened. It's the most minor, frivolous of annoyances, but it means my muscle memory is now thrown off and I'm being very petty about it. It is, of course quite different than the OS/DE defaults and so firefox is now rocking its own unique ugly look.

Klyith posted:

Well, my first useful hint would be to update your goddamn browser more often. Running a browser with known vulnerabilities is a stupid idea no matter how much you hate change. (And if you were updating you'd have been following along 30 pages ago
My DE's set up to check daily, apply security updates immediately, and the rest weekly. I'm pretty sure it's just a repo/snap vs windows difference, heck it might even be a regional one, but thank you regardless.

------
I'll take a look at the css stuff, and see if it's easier than just jumping ship to waterfox or whatever the hell is the current fork.

edit: vvv Yea, but there's also a horizontal displacement and more aggressive corner rounding. Just checked that waterfox doesn't do it, it uses system defaults (but waterfox is apparently filled with vulnerabilities? yikes). I'm just surprised there isn't an option somewhere to disable the (broken) self-theming and use defaults, it's odd.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 11, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Weird name for it, is there a story there?

From a random internet article: "It’s called that because the new engine automatically sends information from web content processes to a cache in the browser’s main process for consumption by assistive technologies."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Nalin posted:

people just won't be happy until they can replicate the look and feel of windows 95

I'm very happy with new OS experiences. When I jumped ship to Ubuntu in 2012, I learned to love the Unity environment. They've tried to go back to a 'start menu' style recently I and refuse, not out of fearing change, but out of disappointment in regressing rather than trying to advance stuff. Heck, iOS doesn't seem all that terrible every time I get exposed it to (even though I can't stand the lack of functionality).

Similarly, when I've tried out a new utility, I'm really willing to learn it if it seems good & useful. It's why I still prefer mplayer shells to VLC (brainworms, I know), and still lug around irfanview via WINE; because I found something new and amazing years ago, learned to love it over what I was using previously, and the drat things don't constantly move poo poo around. As the poster put above me, the web browser is mostly an invisible backend to enjoy the wonderful internet. I only care about the browser itself when I need to fiddle with something, aka poweruser stuff; my preferred UX is 'invisible, until I need to use a menu for something'. So constantly altering menu orderings, visible options, etc, is aggravating.

I'm repeating myself here, but I will end on this: if Firefox does a huge freaking "new amazing style! opt-in to our sleek new poo poo" every 5 or 7 years while keeping a slowly aging legacy UI, I'd probably be at the forefront of trying it out. Instead I'm in this thread to keep abreast of whatever poo poo I need to revert.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pseudorandom name posted:

What level of enshittification is it when you have to gently caress with the tab completion because you're legally obligated to tell your users you're selling their suggestions?

FF does that? Got a link?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pseudorandom name posted:

Every single entry in your suggestions list has a ... widget on the right with the legally mandated warning link that's in the Tab order so now you have to press Tab twice as many times to navigate the list.

Ah, right, misunderstood what you meant. I never used tab to scroll down the autocomplete (I use down arrow) and so the ... widget escaped my notice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hrm, firefox is now displaying the address bar / URL in a greyed-out fashion. It's still perfectly functional and all, it's just yet another pointless cosmetic change that's currently annoying me. Especially as greying out entry fields actually means something in web UI parlance.

Any tips to revert this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I meant how the background of the address bar is now a pretty discernable grey instead of a more neutral white or off-white. Played around with a few themes, guess I'll just have to live with it.

I'd just wish they'd stop farking changing UI elements! Didn't someone mention some sort of LTS version of firefox that was coming online soon? I'd dig that, security-updates-only sounds like my sort of jam.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That was completely painless, migrated over with the profile intact. Bless you sir, a gentleman and a scholar.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Offtopic, but isn't adblock already crippled on Chrome? I quickly helped out a friend getting ublock on their stuff, but very specifically chrome-on-android doesn't seem to support it. Which is, y'know, most of the user agents on the web apparently.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'lil help if I could ask:

Firefox is reporting my time zone as UTC as of a few weeks ago. Looking into it, disabling extensions and privacy settings doesn't fix it, and privacy.resistFingerprinting.testing.setTZtoUTC is set to false (nor does toggling it help). Any ideas what else it could be?

^^^ also that's a neat extension, thanks!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I've narrowed it down to the in-browser tracking protection, but can't find which setting exactly will exclude time zones. Tried that link to no avail, cheers tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well no, never thought I'd need to do that, was just refreshing a page and seeing what it said my browser was sending it. Again, disabled all extensions and restarted FF-esr, still reporting UTC instead of local time, the only thing that changes that is toggling the tracking protection.

I might have some old config settings kicking around like old cruft that's disrupting things, but I'd rather not start making clean profiles every time an issue crops up. Kinda like this suggested change here, they're all in there for a reason.