Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bad Munki posted:

Well then, you unstylish assholes, have a poorly lit bathroom in gold trim and black marble, and an upstairs bedroom's awesome ceiling/lighting!

Anyhow, looking at that first picture, it appears I was wrong: the laundry room window actually looks into the bathroom from above the tub.

I didn't realize the Winchester House was on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
My guess is the mortar is the perfect consistency to be easily workable and still cure in the time it takes to lay three (or however many) rows and take a smoke break while the scaffold monkeys bump it up a level. Probably also subject to climate, structure size, skill of the mason, etc.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The side gate to my backyard is falling apart -- the facing boards keep popping out of the backing boards (whatever you call them), presumably due to dry rot. I need to replace that gate. Is there more to it than just getting a bunch of 1x6s, cutting them to shape, nailing them together, and applying paint? It seems like a pretty straightforward job, but if there are any gotchas to it then better to know about them now.

That's about it, just make sure you leave an inch or two of clearance at the bottom of the gate. Also, if you're going for a curved top, it's easier to nail the gate together first, then draw a line and cut it to shape. I suggest using a nail and a piece of string to get a consistent curve.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Of course there's a chainsaw involved. Of course.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
So I've been enjoying Holmes Inspection on Netflix, and something caught my eye just now:

This is the same panel as virtually every house featured has had so far, probably half of which were installed without a permit.

Interestingly, at no point have they mentioned the danger of these panels, despite the fact that they always replace it for "future capacity" or some other reason.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leperflesh posted:

More importantly, in many cities, city planning commissions have to have public hearings before approving projects and they tend to listen to whoever shouts the loudest. NIMBYism is a real thing and it's a huge problem to getting new development done, here. Many planning commissioners are elected, the rest are typically appointed by elected officials, and small very noisy groups of people can be really effective at blocking poo poo.

Just google for "residents block new development" and you'll get thousands of hits.

The flip side of this is that without community members speaking up, zoning boards tend to be fairly willing to rubber stamp anything that'll increase tax revenue, which means that developers get away with buying up three or four adjacent single-family lots and cramming as many townhomes as possible on every square inch of land.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

GotLag posted:

If this DEFCON talk is to believed, pretty much all gun safes are designed by idiots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8

I really like this dude's closing message of "if you don't want your kids doing something stupid with a firearm, you should probably teach them how to handle one safely and appropriately."

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm with you right up until last week at my apartment complex, which was 'bored kids throwing rocks around the parking lot'. Of course the complex management has no idea who they are and is utterly uninterested.

I can't wait to move.

Why would you call the property manager? If kids are throwing rocks in such a way that it might cause property damage, you call the cops to come scare the poo poo out of them.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I suppose wiring for the lv lights won't change realistically and cat6 won't be unusable for a very long time, I'm just not the type to wire a house up like that personally. I just put up with mediocre WiFi :haw:

The key is that he ran it all in 2" conduit to a central location, which makes upgrading it in fifteen years a two beer job.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

there wolf posted:

It gets better. Apparently the owner of the Cheesecake Factory is part of a niche religion whose plans for a new house of worship ran afoul of a glorified HOA.

I mean, if a bunch of rich old white dudes wanted to build their 66,000 square foot underground apocalypse bunker (nominally disguised as a place of worship) in my neighborhood, I wouldn't be particularly happy either.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 18, 2017

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Jaded Burnout posted:

For a moment I thought you meant a truck which was moving, which seemed unnecessarily challenging.

This is how it generally happens when you hire someone to relocate all of your worldly possessions, yes.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That's the jankiest looking "walk-in" I've ever seen, but it's probably sufficient if they're only storing finished sauerkraut that's been properly canned.

e: That said, I guarantee the Health Department will make them fix it anyway, because there's no loving way you can clean that thing properly.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2018

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

peanut posted:

Ok now how about taking day-old alley pies to church potlucks? Totally fine yeah?

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage in salt and brine, and was a traditional way of keeping food shelf-stable over long periods of time for thousands of years in Europe. The pickling solution kills the bacteria, the refrigeration is probably just to preserve flavor and texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but do you really trust a company that built, shared, and defended that “refrigerator” not to gently caress up the canning process in some way?

To be fair, they didn’t share the refrigerator, it was posted by a professional HVAC/R tech that took the pictures. If they are selling their product retail in a commercial storefront, they are presumably subject to health code compliance. Canning for retail sale requires a shitton of HAACP and usually involves a written variance from the local health department since it’s low-oxygen packaging, so yeah, their operation is probably okay if they’ve been in business any length of time.