Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Time to bring back duck-and-cover drills, 'cause that's an icy B.M.

I don’t know if you already have kids but if you don’t, you or your spouse should get tested ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fish a line through and measure that. They probably did some inspection prior as well to make sure the old pipe was suitable for this, so determining the length may have been incidental to that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lager posted:

One of my wife's favorite gifts I've given was a cast iron skull that lives in our fireplace and glows red when we light a fire.

That sounds rad and now I’m shopping.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I was curious if that might cause trouble or not. Like if it might damage the fake logs over time, or create some funny airflow down by the burners that leads to soot buildup or what have you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

They just glow red from black body radiation, right, same any material at equal temperature? They’re not doing anything more interesting with physics or chemistry.

Not worried about funky chemistry. Ceramic fireplace logs are notoriously fragile and only get worse over time. Something heavy on them could cause problems after a while, not sure if a constant weight would accelerate their degradation noticeably.

And messing with the airflow mechanics inside a gas fireplace can lead to different air-fuel mixing characteristics, which can lead to soot build up, which leads to huge carbon carbuncles. Maybe other concerns along those lines as well.

Like, a little too much rock wool on the ports can have remarkably profound effects. I want the skull, but would worry about it affecting the burner mechanics.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And that’s all on top of the fact that you’d have to live in Texas.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Darchangel posted:

I want to be mad at you for this, but... yeah
:smith:

On the plus side, any concerns about shoddy electrical work are largely alleviated by the loss of electrical service every time the weather is entirely typical for that area and season.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sash! posted:

I grew up north of Pittsburgh and it amazes me that there are million dollar new build townhouses there now.

Even more so because if you drive literally ten minutes past that million dollar townhouse, you can get a new build house with the same number of bedrooms and bathrooms for $300k.

Another 10 minutes and you're out in the woods where I lived and they're like $100k.

And another thirty minutes past that and you’re getting dangerously close to the Erie event horizon, which explains everything about pricing in that area you may need to know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I volunteer for the corpse hole

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nenonen posted:

Archeologists would be thrilled to excavate such a site!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

they'll loving deserve what happens next

Grave robbers

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://www.wsaz.com/video/2024/02/15/team-coverage-target-store-collapse/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peanut posted:

Did your mom go to Target

You think she’s got Target money?!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

corgski posted:

How the hell is any lot in Alaska worth 400k

Existing utilities/infrastructure can go a loooooong way toward pricing, depending on where it is.

But that listing is definitely insane. They probably paid top dollar to be on that river, and now they’re expecting someone else to do the same, in spite of the obvious issues it brought.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s no way that wasn’t on their way to tearing the counter out for a remodel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Floating dock best dock. Then, even when the pond loses two feet because we’ve entirely hosed up the planet, you still get a floating ramp at water level.

Bonus, unclip it from the shore and paddle around. Picnic taco dinner in the middle of a lovely pond is kinda rad.

That stupid suspended platform is the worst possible solution in all cases.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sorry, unscheduled detour, this is now the Crapper Construction thread

https://i.imgur.com/OoGYyws.mp4

Thank you, you may now return to your regular content.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The fridge can be found in the bonus room.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the way it was stated, though, was that the only person who was noted as having been there 30 years was the one whose house was on his own lot anyhow. He thought he owned a little more than he actually does, but that’s just driveway.

I don’t think we know how long the other two houses have been there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Soon to be ex-girlfriend. Way to go!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A #8 drywall screw, Philips, completely cammed out

But, like, one of the 4” ones, that nobody knows why they exist

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HycoCam posted:

A cardinal rule in building is to never open any mud bucket after the drywallers leave. Good builders screw scrap plywood over any hvac registers on the floor. Sure, it keeps debris out, but the main reason is so the drywallers don't pee in them.

But I thought piss was stored in the walls? :confused:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s no slip hazard, that’s why the cling wrap is there. Basically impossible to slip at this point.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For something that big maybe but for small stuff, really no. You have a 6” hole in the wall, you feed a 12” stick in, screw it to the drywall on each end of the stick, and then fix the patch to the stick.

Your example photo would be a bit excessive, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apologies for TikTok but oh my god

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLVRgwR9/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It looks like it was landing on an air return duct, so it may have actually spread the water out enough for them to not immediately notice, especially if it’s in an oft-unused space.