Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is "Wall of Shame" listing all the contractors he has cleaned up after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I live in a residential development built in the late 1950s in Concord, CA. The box is on the side of the house, but it's on the street side of the fence that fences off my back yard. It's a couple feet from the meter and directly below the drop where pole power enters the house. Seems like a pretty convenient place for it, really.

I'd want to at least lock the breaker while I'm working on that circuit:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The need for a sump pump has more to do with the level of the water table than the level of the storm sewer.

For example, my parents house has a pump for the utility sink, but doesn't need a sump pump to prevent drainage, as the soil is sandy and the water table is low. Head west a mile or so, in the same town, and everyone needs a sump pump.

I find the water-powered backup sump pumps cool. They use the city water supply in a venturi vacuum generator to draw water up out of the sump.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I guess that the exhaust flue doesn't count as ventilation? (It goes to the outside, right?)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

It was already a pigtail going into that wire nut, why not just use two wires? At least it wasn't two wires on the screw terminal, like I thought it was going to be.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sbyers77 posted:

Also, the one-part urethane foam in the cans will not cure properly in a sealed space. They react with the air to cure. For a large cavity like a door its basically a sealed container and will only partially cure and the insides will be gooey.

You would need a 2-part foam that has its own catalyst to cure in a sealed container like a hollow door.

Wont there be plenty of air once the door busts?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I enter my zip code and it just says "We're Sorry but we can't give you a quote", though the page does say I can call their agent and maybe get a quote that way unlike all the other ones. Progress I guess!

Try an independent agent in your area, one that represents more than one company.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Turns out, adding any number of sine waves of the same frequency will result in a sine wave.

http://2000clicks.com/mathhelp/GeometryTrigEquivPhaseShift.aspx

The special case where the amplitudes are equal, and 180 degrees out of phase resulting in total destructive interference is also a sine wave, with amplitude = 0.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I wrote the documentation for some industrial equipment. We specifically mentioned High-Leg Delta as not compatible. It would require 3 Phase 400 VAC in 50 Hz regions, and either 3 Phase 208/230 VAC or 277/480 VAC for 60 Hz regions.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Trick for tracking down which circuit outlets are on: plug in a radio and turn it up until you can hear it at your breaker box then start flipping until it turns off. If you have a helper have them mark the plugs and move the radio from plug to plug as you figure out which outlet is which. This is much faster than having a light on and having to go back and forth, and even faster than yelling back and forth to a helper because you hear instantly when you get the right one. Once you have all outlets labeled you can pull all the outlets and figure out where the hot is coming in. DRAW A DIAGRAM IN INK. It isn't fast and would have been easier to do when you were replacing everything but you''ll only have to do it once.

Just make sure the radio doesn't have a battery backup. That was a frustrating experience and I felt so dumb when i figured it out.

Or use your phone, then you can talk to your helper.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My cellphone works just fine in the basement?

I helped my dad figure out what circuit a given outlet was on by yelling across the house a few times when I was a kid, but the last time we realized we could just use our phones and save the yelling. Still frustrating.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Cant be that hard to do!

:staredog:

I like how the manufacturer made no attempt at all to hide the edge of the squares. Could have made it some kind of tessellated pattern, but no, glaring vertical and horizontal lines in that wall.

Although, if I had to install that abomination, I would have at least put the small strip at the top so the overhang of the upper cabinet hides it to some extent.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

They tried.

Where are the partition walls?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'd love pictures of all of this.

Not my house but go nuts: https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...39d6c901b5fad43
If you go to the street view on Baumer Pl, it's mid-construction. On Main, it's completed.

E: They have a 4 car garage and still park cars in the driveway.

Guy Axlerod fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 14, 2016

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Haha, yeah, I'm not really that surprised, it was just a moment of thoughtlessness. Forget testing tools (which I already own) I could have just flipped the switch to make sure the circuit was dead. :downs:

Flipping the switch is a good positive test, but a bad negative test. That is, if the disposal comes on, the circuit is on for sure. If it doesn't come on, it doesn't tell you much. Remember, you're probably opening up the box because something is broken. You're not sure what is broken quite yet. This is the crappy construction thread, you should expect backfeeding, 5 circuits in a box, and live, abandoned knob and tube with asbestos wiring in the box.

Learn to use a volt meter (the kind that gives you numbers, not just a yes or no), and test it using similar voltage before each use. Working on 120 volts? Test it on a working outlet first. That way you know the 0v reading you see is true, and not just because your meter is broken.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

kizudarake posted:

For the turbine in the toilet drain. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, chopping up the solid waste, but wait until the poo poo really hits the fan.

Crappy Construction indeed.

These are a real thing though: http://www.vogelsangusa.com/products/solids-reduction/xripper/muffinmonster-replacement/overview/

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Or pre-cooled TP if you have central air.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I went to a conference in Las Vegas, and on check-in, they handed out a zipped sweat shirt as a gift. I was super confused by the logic there, but I saw plenty of people wearing them throughout the conference.

peanut posted:

I think we can all agree that the year-round clothing of choice for most Americans is pajama pants and a hoodie.

Is this supposed to refute the post saying Americans wear sweaters in Summer?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Motronic posted:

So you were are reinvent last year too?

2014, but yeah. I don't know what I did with the AWS branded socks they were also handing out.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Does the traffic light turn red when he opens the door?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm in NY, so my condensate pump turns on for about 10 seconds at a time, usually right after the A/C cycles off. If they had laid out my basement a little better, they could have skipped the pump and just done a gravity feed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
http://lifehacker.com/old-towels-are-the-best-material-for-cheap-diy-sound-ab-1785114646

Yeah, put a bunch of stuff up on the walls that will turn your house into a fire death trap.

quote:

Maybe just add more smoke detectors in key places? I don’t know. It’s only an idea.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe it's a place where there's a law or statute forbidding parking vehicles that aren't registered on your yard.

But not building them up into a luxurious extension.

It still appears to have a license plate.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
+ For a bridge and drive through tunnel
+ For matching windows
- For pointless height on the turrets
- Lack of moat

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think it's to keep people from continuing to the basement on their way out of the building. I've seen something similar to this:

The full door/wall is something out of the sims.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My take on that house is that it’s like if some indie game developer downloaded every free art asset they could find, then stuffed them all in the same house and cranked up the engine’s HDR.

Houston: the largest city in the U.S. with no zoning laws.

Look at those lamps. :eyepop:

This room is like the waiting room in The Man in the High Castle where the kempetai take people they’re going to murder.

I'll take 5 art please.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

legendof posted:

Bought a new construction house in July; spent some time last night relabeling the breaker panel.

Highlights include: The three spellings of "kitchen" on the original panel ("kitchien", "kithen", and "kithien"), all of which are incorrect, the two remaining mystery breakers (one of which was labeled "range", when in fact the stove/range is controlled by the breaker originally labeled "microwave"), "SePTiK", and the fact that not a single one of the left hand side breakers was labeled correctly, with the arguable exception that one of the three "bedroom" labels turned out to control the lights in the master bedroom and laundry room.

Is your fridge on a tandem breaker? Is it 240 volt?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

A White Guy posted:

My dad bought a really big house/former restaurant combo a while back. I wish I had gotten a picture of it before he started tearing everything out, but it had this interior garage which had a toilet, hooked up and everything, just sitting in the middle of the interior garage. And this wasn't the only thing odd about it: every living space had a toilet sitting smack in the middle of it. And it had the only kitchen I've ever seen ready made for someone who's seven feet tall(this being the one in the living space). I'm 6'3 and there was no way I could reach the top cabinets without a step stool.

Was there a toilet in the kitchen? For someone 7 feet tall?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I don't get the bathrooms where the counter extends over the toilet tank. Has the architect never had a toilet in their own home?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If we're going down the handwashing derail, we can talk about the lovely motion-activated sinks, soap dispensers, and paper towel dispensers / blow driers that never loving work. Just give me a drat foot pedal for the water, and I'm not afraid to touch the soap dispenser because I'm literally about to wash my hands. I've had to walk out without washing my hands because I couldn't get any drat water in some places. For drying, at least I can wipe them on my pants in a worse case.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They don't stop touching things with their poop hands once out of the bathroom.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Either that photo of the bathroom is distorted (Real estate photo, so likely) or that toilet paper roll is really far from the toilet.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Wouldn't it mostly just suck from the overflow in the tub/sink?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Crappy construction aside, some places have the meter inside.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that's how it is in my Parent's neighborhood. Just a cable going into the wall, like in the photo but properly secured. Anyone who had service upgraded or remodeled has the meter outside.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Wish I still had a picture of it, but the old owner of my townhome was putting screws in the wall of the garage and mistook a supply line as a stud.

They patched it with epoxy and something that looked like gaff tape/drywall patch tape. When my father properly cut the section off and patched it up, we noticed the end of the screw was still in the old pipe.

Yeah, it's like when you get stabbed or shot with an arrow, you leave it in there otherwise you bleed out.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

wait how they gonna empty it?

i mean other than literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Cut a hole in the tarp under the bottom of the railing.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Vintage 2017

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

So we've got offset stairs, but created by putting the star treads at an angle, made out of clear lucite, and only supported via cantilever, with a handrail that looks like it's a weird "inset" in the wall rather than a real handrail, that look to descend into a basement apartment where someone likely lives alone.

Rest assured, these stairs have killed before, and they will kill again.

The more I look the more I think maybe it's a weird render/concept?

You'll put your eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
A relatively practical Dahir Insaat invention?