Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

there wolf posted:

Has this blog ever come up before? http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/?p=37564

Realtor posts photos of the strange/bad listings he finds around town. Some gold but you have to wade through a lot of "why would you put up pictures of a messy house when you're trying to sell it?"

The one that you linked is a doozy. Like, they really had trouble defining uses for each room. You've got a bedroom with a bath in it (not a bathroom, a bath. the sink is literally next to the bed), a bedroom with a kitchen in it, and a bathroom with a laundry room in it (or vice versa). The kitchen is pretty ill-defined as well, what with the doorless cabinets and big TV on the counter.
They certainly went all in on the "western" theme.
Bonus points for being in Canada.

edit:

edit2: I tried. The page doesn't support https.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ad infinitum
ad naseum

It's like the shuffle you do wen someone's on the wrong side of the hallway, and you both try to move, and end up getting back in each other's way repeatedly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

That's why I always rinse my fire.

Rinse WITH fire. It's the only way to be sure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I also never understood drying dishes, but apparently in some places the water is all hosed up and leaves stains if you just let them dry on their own? Also putting wet dishes away in the cupboard is a good way to gently caress up your cabinets. When I was a teen I knew some dudes who had rotting moldy lovely cupboards because they'd just throw their wet poorly washed dishes right in and close it up. Oh they also stored bread and cereal and poo poo in the same cupboards they'd be loading with dripping wet dishes.

Yeah, hard water will leave spots everywhere, even in the dishwasher. That's why you've got stuff like Jet Dry.
If it's only a few dishes, we've got a drying rack. Lately, we've just taken to doing a light rinse, and putting them in the dishwasher, all to be washed at the end of the day. Keeps the sink from filling up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I can't help but watch people wash their hands at sinks next to mine in the corners of my eye because I think I've seen single digit people wash their hands properly in my life. Most people put soap on their dry hands, immediately rinse it off, and then pointlessly rub water on their hands for a few seconds. It's pretty crazy how common this particular wrong way of handwashing seems.

Worse still are the fuckers who just walk out of the bathroom without washing. You're the reason we have the little tissues to open the door with, fucker. I don't want to touch the door handle you just put your dong-hands all over.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ashcans posted:

But I just got done rinsing my hands at the urinal, why would I need to do it again at the sink?

Oh, eeeeeewwww.

FCKGW posted:

Windows go over the sink. I can't mount a cabinet on my window

Well, you CAN, but it's just inconvenient to open the cabinet to let fresh air in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kid sinister posted:

No need to waffle stomp!

In other news:

....I just know someone has replicated this in Minecraft. I will be disappoint if there isn't a Dong Room inside the Vagina Room (or Butthole Room?) inside the front half or the structure.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Facebook Aunt posted:

The best thing to do with an old church is a gay bar. Every time the churchy people go by they shake their heads disapprovingly.

Fixed that for you.

Call it 'The Priest's Hole'.

Collateral Damage posted:

Put a glory hole in the confessional.

Masterful.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't know why, but this made me literally laugh out loud. It's probably the showmanship, as Splicer said. Thanks for that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

JBark posted:

This is at my house:

To the left is the shutoff valve for our incoming water main, and then the pipe goes back down underground. As you can see, the original owners planted what would become a decent sized tree directly above the water main, and right next to a brick dividing wall. So not only did the tree take out the dividing wall, it also took out the water main. Their fix was to just take out the bottom bricks of the wall, stick in a steel beam to support to top half of the wall, then run the water main back above ground along the wall.

I'm sure at this point the water main is a structural support for the wall.

I'm going to assume that you live where there is no cold.
That poo poo would freeze up solid even her in TX, in the winter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Last_Taste posted:

Coworker of mine is being sued for a snake infestation in a home they sold last year. I haven't pried too much, but they have been served papers and are prepping to go to court. Home buyer didn't inspect the home, and did construction work that caused a temporary open space below ground level in the fall. Still going to court.

Hopefully they get a judge that will take one look at that and tell them to get out.

That seems suboptimal.

there wolf posted:

I've driven to northern Georgia to sit on an outdoor recliner, get drunk, and watch men wrestle a goat. Try harder Texas.

In other news there's a mysterious grinding/clawing noise coming from the air vent above me. Wish me luck.

I, for one, am perfectly happy to let Georgia and Alabama fight for the crown of "most redneck." We've got enough here in Texas to be entertaining, but not an overwhelming state identity. I hope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

In Soviet Russia, urinal pee on you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

It's not my cup of tea but I like that they went all out with it.

Yeah, someone really loved "Better Homes and Gardens" circa 1971.
Examples for comparison:
http://lileks.com/institute/interiors/index.html

edit: note that the title of that section of Lileks is "Interior Desecrations."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

AAAHHHH THE CREEPY SUN FROM CBS SUNDAY MORNING IT'S REAL AND GOING TO EAT ME

QUICKLY, TO THE CRAFT ARMORY

That is an odd choice for the wall of one's sewing room.

there wolf posted:

I'd peg it a few years earlier what with all the Rococo revival stuff; it think that was out by the seventies everywhere but a grandma's formal sitting room where it would remain frozen in time for decades because no one was allowed to actually sit there.

Fair enough, I was thinking late '60s, early '70s.

edit: Lileks.com is an awesome resource for how bad that era was. The recipe books/cards are truly frightening. So much aspic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slurry_curry posted:

And this is in a couple year old hotel/restaurant that is pretty nice.

This could flip back around to reasonably awesome if the cut out piece of the door was affixed to the door frame so that it slotted back in when the door was closed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

baquerd posted:

I too like being hip-checked as I enter the bathroom.

gently caress, didn't think of that.

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe it's on a spring hinge as well, so it's like having weird saloon doors.

There you go. Problem solved!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

I'd use a union, but they make sliding fittings for this sort of thing. I don't have any experience with the latter, though.

Yeah, in a pinch you can even file, cut, or grind out the stop in the middle of a normal union. You just have to mark the pipe to make sure that the fitting is centered. They make the same kind of thing for copper.
PVC is pretty easy to work with, once you learn the tricks, like the quarter twist when gluing joints. I learned right quick that makes a huge difference in not leaking. The fact that it's flexible makes a lot of stuff so much simpler.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Now do it with inches.

Not that bad, but I will admit that mm/cm is much easier for smaller or more precise measurements. It's tough to overcome a century or more of imperial inertia.

Also, I just accidentally learned how to multi-quote in the noble app.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but the rest of the world didn't have a hundred years of inertia. They had thousands of years of inertia.

I think you underestimate the sheer weight of American inertia. Please note how much of the American South is still, well, The South.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah I forgot how immensely fat they are :doh:

I'd like to reply indignantly, but I really can't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Too bad if you want to take a shower. Or ever get away from that reek you just created. Or sleep dry. Or, you know, live like a human in a first world nation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Why is that a need? Lots of things about old homes suck. The people who are living in a space get to make that space one they feel comfortable in, they shouldn't be beholden to a bunch of dead people.

I think the worst part is that they already made the mistake and learned nothing from it:

What a perfect reason to buy impulsively a second time.

How dumb are these people?

(Gets to the part where they hand $3000 in cash to a crack-addicted squatter.)

Oh, that dumb. Poor old Julian, thought of remodeling and died.

This is loving hilarious. How did these people ever accrue enough money to purchase a house in the first place? I'd have thought all their money should be in the hands of a Nigerian prince.

Yeah, I can't figure out why these clueless idiots get $$, and I have almost none.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

My partner showed me that the same couple bought a fixer upper cottage, and the writing is INSUFFERABLE.

http://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000

They impulse bought a $59k cottage after spending over a million on their "city house", and they have the audacity to complain about being strapped for cash.

My ire is boundless right now.

Oh Jesus gently caress. These shits have no idea what hardship is, not that I'm exactly poor or anything. I bet these fuckers have never worked fast food or retail, even. Or, you know, *worked*.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yep. Every rental property I've seen built in the last 30 years had those horizontal sliders, so I assume they must be cheaper than the old fashioned vertical windows. My guess is that there used to be a normal wooden vertical window there wasn't maintained properly and eventually rotted from the damp. They measured the size of the window hole, and then bought the cheapest window they could find that was the right dimensions. Once they installed it and realized why it was a bad idea, it was too late to return the window so the just caulked it and called it a day.

I got the 24"W x 12"H horizontal sliders in my shed cheap as returned items at Lowes. I think someone bought them as narrow vertical sliders and returned them when they discovered that they wouldn't stay open in that orientation. They were perfect for my needs. Saved me quite a few dollars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Should have turned it the other way around so guys could save time and pee while they shower.

Guys in a shower can already do that without the toilet. Probably shouldn't, but *can*.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NancyPants posted:

What the hell, now peeing in the shower is wrong all of a sudden?

Some people get weird about it. I'm with what's his name from Seinfeld - it's all pipes.

e: f, b

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn’t exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anybody or anything.

They were in the basement, with a locked door, and broken stairs, and a non-functioning light!

edit: or was it a locked filing cabinet?

edit 2: yep. http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/40705-but-the-plans-were-on-display-on-display-i-eventually

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure that there's a nice log home in there somewhere, but it's been completely covered up by cat pictures, and some idiot painting the logs.
Also seconding the ammonia atmosphere.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Let's set aside the cat stuff for a second and ask how can you have a 2500 sq ft home that's only 2 bed, 1 bath?

I'm over 1000 sq ft less and I've got 3 'official' bedrooms, and two "sort of basement" rooms that legally can't be bedrooms, but who am I to care if someone sleeps there?

Still just the one bath, though...one of these days I'll get around to making the "laundry corner" in the basement a fully-fledged half bath w/ laundry.

Really big living room(s) and/or bedroom(s).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Presumably they are just there for looks, like everything else in her house, and no one ever uses them.

You know, I get a little jealous when I see a house as organized, and clean, and pretty as that, and then I realize that mine is a mess because we actually USE the house, and have stuff in the house that likewise gets used on a regular basis, rather than being a museum of Interior Design. In other words, I have a comfortable, warm, lived in space, where she's got a store display. Then I'm OK with my mess, mostly.

kid sinister posted:

Something something always leave plenty of slack

Oh, Jesus Christ get that the hell away from me! No, nope, nein!

Surprise! 2x4s aren't, either!
Wait - aren't 4x4s usually like fence posts and such?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

peanut posted:

Lol I found the mommy blog of an old classmate. She posted part of the floor plan of their new build house that they designed for homeschooling 4 kids. It's low resolution so I can barely figure out the rooms but it definitely says
2236 sf main floor
1679 sf flr 2
1046 sf garage

Maybe I can't figure out the rooms because the scale is outside my life experience. Maybe those rectangles were hummers, not beds.

I definitely want the 1000 sqft garage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Lizardmen army is coming along pretty well, I think you should add a couple bearded lizards for some heavy support.

<Cave Johnson> Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis lizard DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis lizard men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Man, the forums never forget your sins.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Does your home have an insufficient number of mannequins? Do you want a home with more mannequins? Well look no further:

http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894

Obviously, we have an ARETEEST, or a least a Decorator involved here. Congratulations on making 7000+ sq. ft. house more cluttered and crowded than my 1400 sq. ft.
It's like they hate open space or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sinky posted:

A child disappears while playing hide and seek, and the house gains another mannequin.

I think I saw that movie in the '80s. Maybe late '70s.

SoundMonkey posted:

what i don't get is the houses that are actual real houses but are designed to be identical to mobile homes.

my uncle lives in one on the prairies, it's 100% a double-wide trailer layout, big long half-separated kitchen/living room area, then one long hallway with all the other rooms off to the side. i was back there for a funeral recently and i was mentioning how i was surprised he still lived in a double-wide when he's pretty well off and they were like "uh he doesn't live in a trailer???"

i always just figured he added a garage to his trailer. it's not a bad place to live at all, but it does look like that.

Manufactured/prefab housing, just not technically a trailer. Slightly different in the structure underneath, I think, but pretty much the same construction technique.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GreenNight posted:

This one is well on it's way.

We've seen it before, but dear God that thing is truly horrifying in hi-res.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I remember this puzzle from Return to Zork.

I thought it was Myst.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

I think this rule applies pretty generally across a lot of fields.

Everyone I know who works in IT has a home network that's a mix of retired business gear and hacked together insanity.

Can confirm. It's me - that's my network. My PCs and Macs are all retired corporate machines, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

As an IT person, this was true when I was young, however now that I'm over 30, gently caress all of that maintenance. I have a single, good quality, bone stock router. I even quit buying AMD cpus because Intel just works.

Who has time for this?

poo poo, I even pay for things now because piracy is too much goddamned work.

I'm getting there. While my computers are all castoffs, they are essentially stock with upgraded RAM and SSDs, to stretch them out a bit longer. Stock windows and Macintosh OSes. The network is getting simpler as poo poo pisses me off, not that it was terribly complex to begin with, just old free-ish equipment.
I dig my flawlessly-functioning Unifi AP. AT&T finally replaced my aging 2Wire router with an Arris NVG589 trying to chase down a router reboot issue (that turned out to be the card in the DMARC.) It works, I guess. As long as I don't have to jack with it much, it's fine. I set the port-forwarding for Bittorrent, and that's about it once they figured out the actual issue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

I've acquired a more-or-less complete set of the DeWalt 20v MAXXXXXX stuff over the last 3 years since I bought a house and needed better power tools than my 15 year old Ryobi stuff, and they're really nice. Especially the brushless hammer/standard drill and brushless impact driver. They last absolutely forever. Even the other tools last only slightly less than forever and hold their power the entire time.

I don't have anything to directly compare them to except that ancient Ryobi stuff, so maybe cheaper modern stuff is also good, but if you're needing to replace things anyways they seem really nice. Zero complaints other than not having a good way to store/transport them all, since the only ones that came with a bag was that drill/impact driver set.

Neat thing about the ancient Ryobi's is that, if you have the 18V One+ system, they made the new tools and batteries use the same power interface, meaning that the old tools take the new 18V One+ LIons. I acquired a blue Ryobi impact screwdriver, with a NiCad, replaced that with a new LIon and smart charger, then, when I decided I liked them, and was damend sick and tired of my B&D NiCads not holding a charge, and having zero shelf life, bought a whole set of the blue tools minus the drill cheap on eBay, then bought a green drill with LIon and charger as well. For how I use them, I'm happy with the Ryobis.
NiCads: never again. n ow to find some fool to buy my B&D Firestorm drill, circular saw, and recip saw. Or wait until I have a 3D printer and make adapters for the new 20V Max B&D or Dewalt batteries.

edit: like this, but not $35. Actually, that's not a bad price if you don't have a 3D printer.
edit the second: forgot the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-adapter-for-Black-Decker-18v-Nicd-tools-to-lithium-B-D-20v-/252514355874

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, I think this is about the only time I've ever seen a house sold as-is that I'd consider.

This isn't crappy. This isn't crappy at all.

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2017/07/24/1936-modernistic-philadelphia-pa/

That's pretty cool. the only thing I really dislike is the institutional green bathroom color.