Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bonk posted:

\/\/\/Okay, that's especially odd then, because every room in the house has THREE of them right next to each other. What was happening here that required three phones in every room?
My apartment has a shitload of outlets and a phone jack next to each set because some former tenant ran a small business from there. It must have been cramped as gently caress but it actually comes in very handy for us these days, what with all the gadgets we have. Maybe your former tenants were in the betamax bootleg business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Breaker panels, eh. The one in my apartment was fun for a while. It was very neatly and clearly labelled: living room, bedroom, spare room, bathroom, toilet. It doesn't go to my credit that I didn't see anything wrong with this until I managed to trip the main breaker while hanging up ceiling lamps, checked closer and realized, hold on, this is a studio apartment. And the toilet's right in the bathroom.

I did think the different breakers might be for different ceiling light fixtures, as there's one on each end of the room, but nope. Got an electrician to come around and in the end, there's one breaker for all ceiling light fixtures except the bathroom, the one labelled "bedroom" was for the fridge, the one for the washing machine is also for the kitchen hood (because the kitchen is adjacent, and they drilled a hole in the wall and led the hood's power cord through there), and the one labelled "toilet" was hooked up to a circuit properly but flipping it on or off did not make any difference anywhere in the apartment. I have a mystery breaker now.

Thing is, this is a brand newly built apartment, finished only last year. But there are so many issues here that this wasn't a surprise. There's a whole other post in there.

sidenote: still don't have proper ceiling lights up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sadly, because I would have loved to label it something interesting, we later determined it must indeed be an exterior light. Originally there was supposed to be a separate front door for this apartment and there's a light fixture left over from when that was the case. There are just windows there now. Apparently the whole interior of the building got replanned and restructured something like 2 or 3 times; the story goes that it was supposed to be wheelchair-accessible, but someone hosed up and it wasn't built remotely according to accessibility specifications, so the owner cut his losses and made it into regular apartments. That's how I got a pretty kickass bathroom with a floor drain for the shower. It's awesome, basically cleans itself. I did mention the numerous issues, yes?

This is all in Germany by the way so don't go thinking too hard about US building code when I tell stories. :) I'm just used to breakers being, very broadly, one per room + kitchen appliances so it came as a bit of a surprise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dillbag posted:

I would have guessed that this was an "access panel" for your water main shutoff valve (particularly if you have sprinklers) if it didn't appear to be directly above your electrical box...
If this thread has taught me anything it's that this is no reason to assume it wouldn't be the water valve, and that in fact it almost certainly is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always did wonder about theory vs. practice with squat toilets. You only ever see the clean ones.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man in my apartment all the outlets are at one end of it where I can't actually put any electronics. I had to buy some power strips with ridiculously long cables. Whatever his other faults are, I can get behind the outlets everywhere. You never realize all the places you need them unless there isn't one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

T.Worth posted:

Seriously, the guy got zapped twice by electrical inspectors
Literally, I like to think. Took a look at the wiring, pulled out two cables and just let him have it yelling "NO! BAD!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm in New York so I'm afraid I win this horrible competition. I really want an over-the-range microwave because between the sink and the stove, I have 14" of lateral counter space (one dish rack). That's it. That's also directly above the one drawer I have.
8.7".

Technically I have another 16" to the other side of the range but that's where the toaster and rice cooker are and have to be. The range has to double as storage area and workspace, with a cutting board on top. Cooking is pretty much a game of Sokoban.

Surprisingly, not the largest issue with the apartment by a long shot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mine is something like 5.9' by 6.8', about the same area.

What gets me is the actual floor plan, here incompetently rendered in Paint:

There's one window from the kitchen to the rest of the apartment in line with the window to the outside. That space is totally unused (and indeed not easily usable due to a lack of outlets). Why even have that wall when you could have made the kitchen literally twice as wide? For that matter, why have the kitchen enclosed at all, because the kitchen smells get everywhere anyway, except of course where the red X is they absolutely had to put the fusebox and a radiator.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 6, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing is, the apartment was finished in 2012. And the apartments in another part of the complex all have open kitchens (with counter space :argh:). In fact, they have open everything except the bathroom. They're little square maisonettes where the ceiling is too low to stand up on half the upper floor area.

There's also no basement, and I don't think that's a load-bearing wall unless Grover built this house. I think this used to be a warehouse and the interior was partitioned into apartments; more or less haphazardly, the way one of the construction workers told me, these were originally supposed to be wheelchair-accessible, but someone hosed up the interior planning big time so they quickly reconfigured things into somewhat regular apartments.

Which in a roundabout way leads to this beauty.

Big old cutout in the exterior wall that I think was supposed to be the entrance door for this entire part of the house and is now filled in with some sort of plastic slab thing. That would make the unused area between kitchen and exterior window the intended hallway, and the neighbor's kitchen does have a similar window into what is the hallway now.

kastein posted:

Is there any suspicious cracking or indication of patching/rework along the ceiling continuing along where the wall would have been between "the not really great indoors" and the room that isn't well used?
On the other hand, yes, there is in fact a massive beam running across the ceiling along that very line. May have been the spot where they meant to put the apartment door?

It looks just like an entrance from outside as well. There's a wire out there for an exterior light. The fuse for that is in my box.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 6, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This list seems to contain a lot of ideas that are in fact a magnificent amount of effort for anyone who has to become aware of them on facebook, and also quite a few that are just "use a design element according to its intent."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got interconnected smoke alarms in my apartment building and a few months ago they all went off at 5 am. I was like 95% sure there wasn't a fire but called anyway. Obviously for the 5% chance but admittedly mostly

Motronic posted:

forcing the management company/owner to fix the malfunctioning system
Because they went with the cheapest poo poo building this hellhouse in every aspect of it and anything I can do that sends the message "FIX YOUR poo poo" I will.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Could be worse. It does not actually visibly bend upwards at any point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My apartment was newly finished when I moved in and had only capped wires hanging from the ceiling. Nevermind the bulbs, you bet your rear end I'm taking the fixtures.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DNova posted:

This is a thing in parts of Europe and I find it really bizarre. Apartments can come without any kitchen cabinets or a sink or anything, as well. So sometimes you find an apartment and the previous renter wants to sell you all that crap that THEY had to buy, so you have to pay a transfer to them to buy it all. Then when you move out, you have to try to get the next sucker to buy all that crap from you.
That's where I am, just to clarify :)

I once looked at an apartment where the company lady told me, no, they didn't rent units with furnished kitchens, but they could get me a great financing deal on one with a local shop! I bet that works out great for the landlord and that shop but now if you move out and you haven't paid it off yet, you're not just selling the next guy your physical kitchen, but also your deal. And if he doesn't take it you still get to pay off everything in full.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jamus posted:

We had a engineer come by to inspect it and he said that every apartment in the building is the same way.
The ability to just have an engineer come by is what I'm jealous of. When it transpired that there was basically no noise insulation between apartments in my building that all had to go through the management company who, of course, proceeded to sit on it for months and years, and rather than hire an actual engineer they eventually came round themselves with a siren and a decibel meter, even though I'd told them time and time again that the issue wasn't so much the airborne noise as the structural.

Still isn't fixed, either. And that's why I'm taking the light fixtures. Just don't much feel like leaving even one cent's worth of material to these lazybones.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Found on German local news, where they like to be protective of their images so I had to manually screenshot these, apologies for the quality: a houseowner has a damp basement, wants to put in an external moisture barrier and hires the dwarves of Moria to dig up around the foundation. They dig too greedily and too deep and an entire corner of the house just sags.

Another theory is that the foundation was faulty in the first place. Article's a bit inconclusive but does quote a structural engineer saying it's very possibly a complete loss.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From the PYF gif thread:

Every time the angle grinder comes up I flinch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Same setup as my old dorm room except where the wall is, there was the door, opening directly into the common area. The common area was also tiled and contained the bathroom and kitchen, simultaneously.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My landlord is finally fixing my nonexistent noise insulation issue, after two years, and two weeks before I'm due to move out. Before rather than after, because the next tenant is keen to go in on the 1st. So I get to live on a construction site for a few days. They are paying me back the rent for those two weeks and I'll be out of town Thursday-Sunday so it might not be all that awful, but I still can't help but feel apprehensive that some unforeseen issue will turn this into a disastrous venture.

Will see if I can get some pictures of things like "air where any insulation material at all should be" but I'm afraid it's going to be terribly unexciting.

e: I'm alternating really badly between "huge mistake, I sold out my evening peace and quiet" and "they'll have it half done over Thu-Sat and anyway I'm preparing a move, I wasn't going to have any peace and quiet"

Yeah, not happening. "Huge mistake" won out in the end.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 17, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're going all wrong about it, you're supposed to consider why he chose pencils as his preferred medium for this work, even though they're not traditional.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm honestly a lot more puzzled about the second door with the DO NOT CLOSE note.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Move over, German poop inspection toilet shelf, we're taking this thing to the next level.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm not a goon in a well
Well obviously, it's capped.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All that effort and he doesn't even have a CRT for his pre-HD systems.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gounads posted:

Is the meter to tell when the local grid is hosed and you shouldn't turn anything on?
I'm pretty sure you don't need the meter to know it's hosed and you shouldn't turn anything on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That looks like the worst case of encroachment in all history.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 21, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Same architect (Daniel Libeskind):

I guess if you've found your niche...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that particular one is the Museum of Military History in Dresden, and the polygon a) points to the spot where the WWII bombardments began and b) houses a special exhibition that interrupts the existing one on the inside, so it's not just for the hell of it but it also doesn't mean it looks any less like house parasites from space.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

LMBO at the mental image of eating under a loving sun.
"People on yelp keep complaining my lights are too dim to read the menu, well I'll show them all!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I once had a bathroom that was exactly as big as the toilet. Your knees would press against the door if you sat down. There was no room to turn, you had to stand in the doorway, pull the door closed and sit right down. Another bathroom I remember had the sink jutting out from the wall to the right of the toilet such that you had to fold yourself inbetween the two like the Z Tetris piece.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This thread has damaged me. There was a moment, right between you turning on the hose and water starting to pour down, where I was convinced it would turn out that it drained to the inside of the house.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chemicals: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006
Technology: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495621

quote:

unimproved property
That's the first time I've come across that phrase and I love it, especially in context. "It's unimproved and your water tower isn't helping."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I am a terrible person for hoping that the family photo captured them all at the moment of collapse.
That was the only reason I clicked the link.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RabbitWizard posted:

As far as I know in Germany my landlord has no right at all for "inspections". He has a key, but can only use it for emergencies (like water running out of my apartment) or while having the police with him. Otherwise he has to arrange an appointment with me and have a good reason.
It's pretty crazy that he has a key to begin with. He has to hand over all existing keys unless you agreed he can keep one. I guess it's handy for when there is an emergency.

e: if you are making GBS threads on the walls you only have to repaint them in a neutral colour once you move out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RabbitWizard posted:

An owner can't just quit the contract with a "meh" as justification, he has to have a legal reason, like personal requirements (his grandma gets sick and needs to live there so he can take care of her) or neighbors complaining about meth-explosions.
I'm learning aaaall about that right now. :argh:

But what's more, the landlord has to give three months notice when he wants to cancel the contract. So does the tenant, although if he moves out and someone else moves in during that time, he's out of the contract no problem.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Unfortunately (?) I'm learning about it from the other side, the landlord wants the meth den for himself and his eight children. But apparently doesn't know much about tenant's law so the next few months are gonna be really interesting!

And yeah, you don't automatically get out if you can introduce a potential tenant (a common misconception), but I moved out of two apartments in the last few years and each time they had a new tenant ready to go. Apartments go fast in reasonably big cities. One even moved in the same day I moved out. And they were really lovely apartments with no noise protection (I do mean none, in the sense of "the builders totally hosed up").

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Its a power plant.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, one of my first apartments hat a big old tile stove for heating that ran on coal. The windows were really drafty but they pretty much have to be. Seal the windows and you block the oxygen flow and that's how you get haunted apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

It's still not as completely loving hilarious as Big Bertha up in Seattle.
In a way, that reminds me of what happened in Germany 6 years ago, when they were building a new subway in the city of Cologne and managed to entirely collapse the city's historical archive.