Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

6 years old. Terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Things you don't like to see in your 50' bow truss:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Builders, more like buildurrrrrrrs

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm having trouble reading angles. Are those joists toenailed to a header board bolted to a wall, or are those studs toenailed to a sole plate bolted to a foundation? Because one of those is not okay.

In either case, no, it didn't look like that. I couldn't see exactly how the boards were connected -- that would have required climbing up to the second floor. I assume they were either through-nailed into the joists or attached with some kind of bracket. But the joists should already be being supported by some other method, since the 4x14s are a later addition. I guess it's possible that they're planning to remove an interior load-bearing wall and therefore need more support at the ends of the joists...but I live in a copy of this house, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any interior load-bearing walls. Either way, why would you need a x14 beam to support a joist that's maybe x10 at most?

If they were redoing/expanding the second floor, the existing foundation was probably woefully inadequate and the beams were going to carry the new floor/walls/roof down to posts at the corners.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

If they removed that weird asymmetrical second story part with the builder window it would almost look nice.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 23, 2018

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

No HOA should be involved in anything aesthetic ever, just repairs.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I'll take 'owner-designed home' for 4.5 million, Alex.

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/2300-SW-103rd-Ave-97225/home/26678122

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Saw this while making a punch list today. It passed inspections, who am I to argue :shrug:

Edit: img tags not working for some reason:

Thanks goon below!

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 15, 2019

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

peanut posted:

White boxy house is not the worst thing in that neighborhood.

Yeah that hip roof monstrosity on the right is 100x worse. Somehow Crappy Construction attracted the picket fence and vinyl column crowd.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

This staircase is a horror, and the building around it is just bizarre. It looks like it's a pile of concrete blocks in the middle of a field.

Did you find more pictures somewhere? I like the concrete. Their website is some of the worst architectural word vomit I've ever read though.

http://www.disguincio800.com/

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

A 2x4 is ~1.5"x3.5". A 2x6 is ~1.5"x5.5". 2x8 is ~1.5"x7.5". And so on. Take the nominal dimensions, then you lose however much material the lumbermill removed to make the board more or less flat and smooth.

So it's not a straight multiplication, it's "subtract half an inch", except that isn't guaranteed to be precise.

Even worse, for 2x8 and larger you actually lose 3/4" in the long direction, so it's 1.5" x 7.25" for a 2x8, 1.5" x 9.25" for a 2x10, etc.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

It's crappy construction because besides being ugly and inhospitable it has to be ungodly expensive to heat in the winter.

Here's a listing with more pictures. I like it overall, lots of good detailing. The wide-angle shot didn't do it any favors though.

If it was designed and built with any sort of rigor (likely, given the quality of detailing) it's probably quite energy efficient.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

By an odd coincidence, the same truck with the same license plate is used by cob when he shows up to bid a job.

Incidentally this is a huge issue for cities with a known bidding process. They know the assholes who underbid the job to win are useless, but they can't go with the people who can actually finish the job, because by statute they need to go with the lowest valid bid. Most of them now have a "in business for X years in the same area, with at least XX million in gross revenues in a 5 year period" to avoid the Bob's Builders' Cobs Constructions Dobs Demolition, Ethan's Excavation, Franks Foundation works, and Greg's Garage Construction Shop from wining bids.

I've got a well-rehearsed speech and a plethora of examples for clients about why they should never take the low bid contractor. Maybe 50% listen. The bar for a contractor's license is way too low imo.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Yooper posted:

The rest are now "clear rebar".

There's an old motorcycle helmet inside my front stoop. Someone in 50 years will be very confused.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Get rid of the overhead cabinet to the right of the stove, and and that weird narrow counter section and it's pretty ok.

The MC Escher bathroom ceiling is more fun:

Ceiling rules, too bad the rest of the bathroom is so terrible :barf:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although not nearly as bad as the McMansions posted, for just being a generic suburban home, there is some slight window horror here on this house I walk by frequently

Those 2 top windows on the right are, for some reason, smaller than the ones below and not lined up at all, but also there's a random top window that IS like the first floor ones...and then those two random :sideways" windows with the fake square window panes.

Not to mention that giant blank gable end. They should have just continued the front eave all the way to the back of the house.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I narc'd out a guy down the street doing an unpermitted addition with really lovely construction (3.5" wide stem wall :psyduck:). I'm exploring my feelings currently, between feeling like an overbearing nosy neighbor but also the professional obligation for HSW protection. The tipping point was when I googled the owner and they came up with a conviction for bike theft. I loving hate bike thieves, and knowing that that bike theft will end up costing them thousands in permit and contractor fees is assuaging my conscience somewhat.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Windows are cheaper than walls (I'm not kidding.)

Single pane windows from the free section of Craigslist maybe

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Leviathan Song posted:

That's bad enough in a regular slab but can you even jackhammer a tension slab? Wouldn't you have to carefully avoid the cables?

Yes, you x-ray it, or something similar. Looking forward to 30 years from now when yahoos are making repairs and modifications on all the lovely multifamily being built now.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

I'm the booblight over the sink

Thanks, time for some pills. Jesus christ.

Edit: Are those drawers mounted sideways, or are the handles just wrong

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 4, 2020

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

That poo poo's all photoshopped up, come on guys.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

BonerGhost posted:

My 1962 prefab MCM in Nebraska has walls that are no more than 6 inches thick including drywall and sheathing/cladding.

We're undoing a lovely unpermitted and uninspected reno and every day is an adventure.

We did an addition remodel on very nice 1920s Craftsman a few years ago. The walls were 2x4...framed flat :psyduck:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

We stayed at a mostly lovely but clearly unpermitted Airbnb this weekend. Showering while drunk and trying not to scald/freeze yourself was a real rush.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

I hate to interrupt fan chat, but I told my family about the tiny digger and somebody found this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-hp-towable-backhoe-62365.html

It's so CUTE!

Also don't put recessed cans in your roof dummies, use the pancake boxes with LED flush-mounts or some nice track lights. :colbert:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Elviscat posted:

No, don't do that, track lights look like poo poo, pancake boxes were spit directly from Satan's rear end in a top hat.

Do this

*Some* track lights look like poo poo. Good ones are :discourse:

Those 12v kit will be cool when they make a trim ring that isn't from a Kmart ceiling. The electrician took it on himself to sub one of those in on my remodel and I vomit a little every time I look at it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

The final escape of the decorative, too-short-to-cover shutters, taking their surroundings with them.

"decorative"

Which is the equally horrible 'bloodied rice' brick color

god i hate it so much.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Someone cheaping out on the $1 fasteners to hold the brick facade in place. Or more likely some laborer forgot to place them and it was load bearing gravity .

Actually it looks like the whole wall is buckled outwards and not just a failure of the facade so maybe some idiots dropped a pallet of roof tiles on the roof and the walls buckled out.

What do you see that indicates the whole wall is failing? The windows seem to not have moved.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Friend of a friend is wrapping up a full renovation, like down to the studs and beyond in some places. Their master bathroom was a major piece, and the owner spent a TONNNNNN of time laying out the floor tiles just the way she wanted. Anyhow, the tiler came in and did a lot of prep and part of the job, but was apparently hard as hell to get to come back to finish the job, but eventually it was completed. And now, a month or two later, the grout between the floor tiles is dying like mad.

Turns out, the tiler forgot one key step when building the floor.

No thinset under the underlayment. It's currently a loving floating tile floor. They stapled the underlayment down here and there. Literally step 1 from the manufacturer: https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Membranes/Uncoupling-(DITRA)/Schluter%AE-DITRA-&-DITRA-XL/p/DITRA

This is why I always strongly advise clients to be extremely wary of the lowest bids (they rarely listen). Holy poo poo.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I was like 'haha photoshop' and nope, there one is on Amazon. :psyduck:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

that's the "Romeo and Juliet" balcony

I worked for an architect who always called them 'Julien' balconies. He was a dick and pretty sensitive to being corrected so I never bothered.

stone soup posted:

oh wow they finally figured out how to dehydrate a mcmansion bravo

:hellyeah:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I really like this as a concept, less so the execution.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh god those "walls" are just plywood aren't they.

I assumed metal plate to be rigid enough, but given the thread...you're probably right :v:

Edit: looks like the hand rail brackets are welded (no bolts showing through)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

Yep.

Before - 3BD 1.5 BA 1790sf sold for $1.09 million in 2019. A fixer-upper for sure, but the original details are there.

Original details like faux shutters, single pane glass,and...what? With the mold and water damage that house is lucky it wasn't a teardown, and the remodel was tastefully done.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

corgski posted:

It’s trendy yes but it’s also destroying the original character of the house because they wanted low investment with lovely builder grade finishes and a fast sale over doing a proper restoration with the higher selling price that would net. Arts and crafts and craftsmans are trendy right now and they threw it away in pursuit of a quick profit.

I see expensive casework, expensive cable rails, trim and siding choices that mirror the original. The only part that I question (and I can't see into the bones so there was probably a good reason for it) was getting rid of the nice little glassed in upper area on the front. All the 'original character' you mention looks like 60s grade big box stuff from a past remodel, nothing I'd associate with an actual nice example of Craftsman (of which there are many, and I also love and would hate to see destroyed). There's plenty of examples of lovely soulless modern replacing lovely history, but this ain't it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

corgski posted:

Color me corrected, it’s mid grade tacky and they actually pulled permits for that atrocity.

E: Actually I’m having a really bad week and I’m going to take a step back from this thread for a few days.

Now I feel bad for being so cranky about it. Feel better goon!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"This fine example of a Trump House comes complete with a artist's rendition of the dictator's reptilian soul"

Built with Freedom from libtard building codes

Although I'd imagine a Trump house would have more vinyl columns and gold paint.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Thought it was a poor texture alignment in Photoshop at first.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

This sort of thing: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Version-Pyle-Portable-Capacity/dp/B01MAVR8UW

We had one when I was a kid. Clothes don't really come out dry, they come out about as dry as from a normal washing machine, then you hang them to finish drying. Better then washing by hand if you are too poor or have no hookups for normal laundry machines and the nearest laundromat is too far away.

My partner has one and stuff comes out dry, it just takes longer than a regular dryer. I imagine the tech has advanced quite a bit.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

GallienKruger posted:

I'm only sharing this so that you can see all the wonderful treasures, and on the condition you don't buy it before I can.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6432-Leighton-Ave-Lincoln-NE-68507/6609412_zpid/

And she used to be such a nice classic brick home, before the meth

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

live
laugh
duck

live
laugh
skull fracture
die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Ashcans posted:

The architect was a big fan of xenomorphs, obviously.

Odds of an architect being involved on that house are minimal :v:

Photoshopped? Lots of artifacts on the handrail / right edge of stair.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 22, 2021