Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
You want the best power metal out there? You can't go past the first four Manowar albums. I know its cool to hate on them, and the cheese definitely gets bad on the later releases (although there is a shitload of cheesier stuff out there) - but the first few discs? The truest of True Metal. :colbert:

Also you could try some Omen, first three albums are great, especially Battle Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I still think if Hvist Lyset Tar Oss was a 2012 release I'd love it. Same with Hammerheart or The Return. Besides why should we just forget about the context? These guys broke new ground! I've always been impressed mostly by how young many of the trailblazers were. The first four Burzum albums were recorded when Varg was 19! Bathory S/T and The Return when Quorthon was 18-19.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Vektor and Toxic Holocaust are both tubular.

I did manage to come across these though... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIg6CTB-0DA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_04VtQ8Vb4

Yessss

Wow thanks for the first video. Listening to the album and it's like hearing Show No Mercy for the first time again.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bc-ZC1EF18

Its only a fan made video, but all Metal videos should look something like this.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love that Fenriz and Nocturno basically said, "gently caress it, we'll do whatever we want because we're goddamn Darkthrone."

Agreed. Its like the statement on The Cult Is Alive was 'Not black enough? Shut the gently caress up, black metal is what we say it is.'

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't get the Slayer hate at all. Show No Mercy, Reign In Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are all loving awesome (Not all that fond of Hell Awaits) and I still play Seasons and South of Heaven pretty regularly despite first hearing them many years ago.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The list really could use Manowar's Battle Hymns. Pioneering American power metal. Not sure I'd put Ride the Lightning over Kill Em All too.

Edit - Yeh and I'd put Bathory or possibly Hellhammer/Celtic Frost over Venom. If it was a top 15 I'd like to see Hammerheart or Blood Fire Death on there too.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 21, 2013

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
For me Red In The Sky is probably one of my top 10 albums ever released. I just love it! The guitar work just sounds perfect to my ears, memorable riffs everywhere.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Wish Manilla Road had other material that stacked up to Crystal Logic. To my ears nothing else they've released is anywhere near as good.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Seconding The Crimson Idol and of course Operation Mindcrime. Stay away from Mindcrime II.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

I have been summoned. As resident Swole Dude, here's a good list of bands that provide some incredible gym tapes:

Death (Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic)
Vader (Everything. Seriously. Start with XXV and their latest for maximum INCREDIBLE GAINS)
Insomnium (Above the Weeping World and Across the Dark)
Edge of Sanity (Crimson 2)
Amon Amarth (Pretty much the entire discography)
In Flames (The Jester Race)
Gorod (Perfect Absolution)
Obscura
Opeth (Still Life, some slow parts, but great overall for the gym IMO)
Ouroboros
Be'Lakor
Skeletonwitch (Entire discography)
In Mourning

Seriously though man. Vader. Just have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGYB66S9SEo

Im not even a huge Death fan, but Symbolic gets me going at the gym too. Also seconding Be'lakor.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
How are the Manowar guys aging? Can Eric Adams still sing at 61? Also I mainly lurk the metal thread but when I do post its usually to remind everyone that the first 4 Manowar albums are some of the best metal ever recorded!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I get hating on new metallica, although I thought death magnetic was pretty good - but I can't handle when guys start making GBS threads on stuff pre-black album because they don't like new Metallica. Or when as said above (jokingly?) people give all the credit of their earlier works to Mustaine and Burton. If Mustaine was such a good song writer why did it so rarely show up on Megadeth albums! :nyd:

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
How the gently caress did Twisted Sister get second billing?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Only listened through once but I thought the second last track on the new Agalloch would have been a ripper of a track if some vocals had been thrown in. First impression is its not bad, just a bit boring at times and falls short of The Mantle.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
City of Evil is a fine album so go ahead and listen to that one if Avenged Sevenfold is grabbing you.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was having trouble getting into the album then I realized it was because I don't like the first track at all and I have this weird dumb insistence on playing albums like this from start to finish. The rest of it is great though, although I don't think it'll convert anyone who doesn't like their earlier stuff.

Also I love the fact that the album's highlight is a LONG instrumental post-rock track

Agreed. Really odd choice for an opening track, and just nowhere near as good as the rest of the disc.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't leave out the first two albums - they are probably my favourite Blind Guardian output.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
On the Manilla Road chat earlier - Does anyone else feel that Crystal Logic is head and shoulders above any of their other material? I can't get into their other work at all but Crystal Logic is probably amongst my top 20 albums ever.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Surely the best metal video has to be One. Johnny got his gun fits in so perfectly. I actually prefer listening to one with the film quotes over it.

Close second is probably Seasons In The Abyss.

Metal videos in general are pretty cringe worthy, especially when they try to get some proper production values behind them. Just throw together some black and white shots of the band playing and splice it with old war footage. Bam, you got yourself a sweet video.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

They were considered the nu metal of the early 80s for a long time and then Bruce came back about the time people stopped pretending they weren't rocking out to Seventh Son.

Is this legit? First I've ever heard of it, although I wasn't around in the early 80s. How many of all our favorite bands from the 80's onwards are pictured in the album liner/on tour/promo pics etc wearing Maiden shirts?

Also I'd say the only not so good Maiden album is Virtual XI. No Prayer, Fear Of The Dark and The X-Factor are all fine.

Edit - Ok the last couple are nothing special either.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I don't see why Manowar are some kind of comedy pick for best metal band...especially when junk like Pantera, Testament, Anthrax (lol), Meshuggah and Lamb of God sit in the list without irony. Ok they only have 4 stone cold classic albums, but so do Metallica. Even At The Gates and Celtic Frost only have 2 or 3.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Everything up to Seasons In The Abyss rocks. Hell Awaits less so.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
First four Manowar discs have lyrics that are as good as 90% of metal lyrics out there.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I always thought Reinventing the Steel was a really great album title though.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I cant understand why Exodus or Overkill weren't part of the 'big 4' but somehow Anthrax was.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I kinda think peak Overkill is Feel the Fire and Taking Over.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Most underrated track is Total Eclipse. People call it filler but it actually rocks as much as the rest of Number Of The Beast.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
New Maiden isn't embarassingly bad or anything, and you can get a few real gems on every new album - but they really do need to work on the 4x, 8x, 16x repetition. Seems like its been getting worse and worse since The X-Factor. Also sometimes the new lyrics and song titles are a bit, well not cheesy but awkward in a way. The old lyrics were much cooler. (With obvious exceptions....Alexander the Great. Sounds like those lyrics were taken from a did you know on a cereal box.)

Edit - No More Lies is a good example. Track does a lot of things right, but did we really need to hear those 3 words 200 times?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfekV7e9YUE

Even the stuff that gets panned as filler still really rocks.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Darkthrone is probably the best answer. Maiden too - especially when it comes to live stuff. Blind Guardian could have been included except the last couple of albums are not so good.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Octavarium as one of your first albums. Way to make everyone feel old hehe. First album I remember buying was Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie. Not a huge step from there to more heavy stuff. Initially Metallica, Maiden, Manowar and Pantera. First 'extreme' band was probably In Flames as others have said.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Best Motorhead album is Bomber - so try that one if the last 7 or 8 (which are all essentially the same album) dont do much for ya.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Total Eclipse rocks. One of the best tracks on Number of the Beast.

Edit - I've also always loved 2 A.M off of X-Factor.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 4, 2015

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I didnt think it was too bad in the repetition. Worst track for that is No More Lies off Dance of Death.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

How much did the song Demon's Gate by Candlemass influence Iced Earth?

I'm guessing a lot because they sound very much alike.

Im not a guitar guy but I don't hear the Iced Earth riff style they use in every song on demons gate. Although the vocals are similar.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The Euro stuff can be hit or miss, but old American power metal totally rips.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

muike posted:

i remember when i got a tape of siamese dream

Hey friend :hfive:

Mellon Collie was the first CD I ever bought.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I wouldn't worry about the lyrics too much. 99.9% of all music has terrible lyrics if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
On the other hand I found the old style of moderating the reviews a bit strange. Like they wouldn't accept more then a few positive reviews because after a while they are all saying the same thing. You'd end up with certified classic records given like 77% average on the reviews because it would have 3 90%+ reviews and one dissenter that hates it. Made it hard to find good stuff you havent heard before.