Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Uneven Structure - Februus

The best Djent

https://youtu.be/bbLz5lNcHi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vargatron posted:

Like handing out... cassette tapes?

I'd buy the cassette tapes to support the band directly and download the mp3's / listen on Spotify (if they're on there)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Really liking the new Omnium Gatherum. It's a good album from start to finnish.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Gamma Nerd posted:

i don't mean to be snippy but really babymetal is so overdiscussed, and word of mouth is exactly what gets them popularity whether it's positive or negative discussion. best to just avoid talking about them because what's the point?

I have heard of band-who-must-not-be-named and can agree that you-know-who is indeed terrible

;)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

A human heart posted:

Are you angry about something?

I mean he's a metal fan so he's got to be angry at something amiright

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Mar de Grises - Streams Inwards is one of my favorite BM albums ever, from start to finish.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Gamma Nerd posted:

isnt that more death/doom?

I always thought it was more f that shoegazey atmospheric BM sound but I'm not an expert or anything

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Nowadays the music is so ephemeral that it almost seems disposable. Sometimes I'll listen to an album once and then never again -- and from bands I like! It's weird.

That's the problem with saturation.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

It's absolutely true that the sheer amount of different music that is readily available these days has the downside of saturation. Even still, at any given time there are usually a few albums I'm fixed on listening to repeatedly. The better the album the larger a chunk of my weekly listening it will take, and the slower it'll fade out from rotation, but eventually everything will drop into "reserve" so to speak, to be replaced with other new discoveries. Then of course there are the permanent favourites that I will keep going back to time and again.

This is probably true for a lot of us here. I'll sometimes spend a few hours going through youtube links, or spotify related artists, trying to find new stuff that I like and I very rarely have much luck with it. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff out there, but there's something about the core group of bands in their respective genre. So, I end up listening to the same stuff on heavy rotation, with an occasional new album every once in a while.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Pesmerga posted:

New Amon Amarth video out, for At Dawn's First Light. It's a bit bloody.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-krHfdmGg:nws:

Not sure what I think, First Kill is a much stronger track.

First Kill might be a stronger track but drat this song is good. Love the lead. The music video is great too. I bet they had tons of fun making it. They just keep on making good stuff.

What's great also is that, even with their rise in popularity, they're not changing what they do.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think I like it even more than first kill tbh. Don't get me wrong first kill is great, but this one is completely different to anything they've done before, it's very iron maiden-y in a good way.

New sylosis single is rad as gently caress by the way, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QAcUws7BP8

Saw them play it live on saturday and it was the tits. They were filming for the music video there as well so I'm hoping I'll be able to find myself in it when it's out!

I know right. Love the Maiden vibe going on. I hope there's more of it on the new album.

That Sylosis was good. Will have to add it to my workout playlist.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
We all know Batman = Death Metal

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

cool cartoon pictures for children.

Yeah man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatmJtIJAPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53HDr0-Qew

But anyways the new Amon Amarth is really good from start to finish. I like it more than their last one (what was that called again?). Plus the song with Doro on guest vocs kicks rear end.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

pants cat posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed at some point in this thread and I've gone back about 15 pages and can't see anything - I keep forgetting there's a metal thread here damnit, but omg the latest Amorphis album 'Under The Red Cloud' is incredible, easily my favourite from the last few years.

I travelled a lot of miles around the country and saw them twice on tour last week, exhausting but worth every second. I wish I had a current passport and serious cash to keep following them around Europe. Still on a serious post-gig high and can't. stop. listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sEwiQ7gdc&list=PL0uf1MtUvQN4bB785JnN_8tQqcGuOBIaS&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5Ez5q7j2M&index=6&list=PL0uf1MtUvQN4bB785JnN_8tQqcGuOBIaS

Yeah man I like this album a whole lot. Better than their previous ones actually. Not sure what makes this one different though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

COOL CORN posted:

I'm liking the new Amon Amarth album a lot more than I thought I would, but phew that song with Doro is terrible.

Yeah I think I liked it a lot on first listen just because it's Doro.

As for vocals / lyrics, Hegg's vocals have more range in this album, but that also means I can understand the lyrics more which isn't always good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you've never told someone "if you are a false, do not entry," you're not a real metal fan.

I had a guy on the metal subreddit tell me he was the shreddit elite and that I am a false. Unironically.

In a thread about silly metal pictures.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

A human heart posted:

Maybe he was telling the truth

Lol yeah maybe :jerkbag:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Totesmoker
Totegod Apocalypse
Tote Pricipium Est
Decapitoted

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Not all pirates sing in pirate-metal bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eblFOXlHDs

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Also I actually have a vague memory of some youtube retards trying to lump it under "pirate metal". You know, because of the vague nautical theme and I guess because Johansson sounds a bit raspy or something? loving lol anyway.

While I agree that arguing over metal sub genres is silly, I have recommended them to others looking for" more pirate metal"and gotten good feedback. Also he does sound like a real life pirate and I'm not convinced he isn't.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

H13 posted:

I think I might like Gamma Ray more than Blind Guardian when it comes to Power Metal.

I know Blind Guardian are meant to be THE definition of amazing Power Metal (which is fair), but there's something about the ridiculousness of Gamma Ray that appeals to me more.

As much as I love BG, I also can't get enough GR. They're also just so goddamn fun. Also Edguy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

Last year was pretty extraordinary for me, as both BG and Nightwish released new albums and neither one made it to my "best of 2015" list. I really tried to like BtRM but I just couldn't get a grip on it. Trying to think back to it now, I can't remember a single goddamn thing from it. :(

I actually like it a whole lot. It's like listening to a movie, or am epic fantasy novel.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vulture Culture posted:

This was my feel on Nightfall, which was a much better album. (I get that most bands can't do that twice.)

Well I mean yeah obviously NiME is a much better album, but still I don't get all the hate for BtRM. Although it's not as good as NiME, At the Edge of Time, Somewhere Far Beyond, it's not as bad as A Twist in the Myth.

I think it's a really solid album.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It's going to be a hot and smelly summer.

Who the hell is going to the TN or KY dates? I seriously want to go.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AstroWhale posted:

Also, the new Gojira single is garbage. All my favourite bands turn to poo poo (Mastodon, Kvelertak, Gojira ...) :smith:

Funny what happens when people get older, have kids...

We can't all be Lemmy

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Gojira is so tame, I don't get the hype.

Nordick posted:

Gojira shmojira, Tarja shmarja, here's some new goddamn Be'lakor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izaxvm9dK_k

Thanks.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Coincidentally how I feel about Be'lakor/most melodeath

Yeah but I don't go around talking about brutal and ferocious Be'lakor/most melodeath is. Gojira has always been knock off Meshuggah riffs (but what prog metal isn't am I right?)

I mean poo poo I've been listening to a whole lot of Omnium Gatherum and Amorphis lately so, there's that. :cheers:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

B33rChiller posted:

Emperor
Ihsahn

But seriously you should listen to Leprous

edit: Also I really like the new Haken

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Defiant Sally posted:

It's leaked. I just finished my first listen. It didn't blow my dick off like Weight of Oceans did/does. It's quite a bit different but it's still a great album and im sure it will get better the more i listen to it.

How many PR's did you break listening to this? If you didn't break at least 2, I'll pass. 1 if it's deadlift.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Defiant Sally posted:

I'm going for 340 on bench tonight so I will let you know how it goes.

:vince:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Holy gently caress guys new In Morning what the gently caress this is so good

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I haven't seen much talk about Ihsahn's new one Arktis, which is pretty drat good. It's been on heavy rotation alongside Haken's Affinity ever since they both hit spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_ak5pGQjs

edit: gently caress I just discovered the instrumental Affinity is on spotify. It's weird hearing it without vocals, but you can hear the intricacies of all the instruments that are woven throughout. I have a whole new appreciation for this album. Listening to the last half of the instrumental 1985 is practically like listening to the Rocky IV training montage.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 12, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Gojira - Magma song by song review

The Shooting Star: zzzzzzz
Silvera duhnuhh dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga duhhh-nuhhhhhh dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga and then zzzzzzz
The Cell intro is about 30 seconds too long and then uninspired riff and then zzzzzzzz
Stranded dugganuh-dugganuh-dugganuh-dugganuh-dugganuh-dugganuh-weedledeeweenee repeat x ? then zzzzz
Yellow Stone I'd rather just listen to Sleep
Magma dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-nuhh-nuhhh-nuhh-nuhh-nuhh-nuhh x ? then zzzzzzz
Pray I think I've heard this before only better oh right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatmJtIJAPw and then zzzzzzzzzzzz
Only Pain so basically Stranded again and then zzzzzz
Low Lands dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga x infinite zzzzzzzz the whole time
Liberation probably the best song on this album

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

s0urc3 posted:

So, like, you didn't like it, is what you're saying?

Not really, but I figured I'd give it a fighting chance and listen to each song thoroughly. Unfortunately, I fell asleep several times.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Sometimes their guitars sound kinda weird man.

Yeah man when they're not chugging they got some real weird weedlyboop guitar sounds that are so prog

Anyways speaking of real prog, Haken is touring the US and of course skipping my state entirely and only playing closeby for Power Prog Fest, which is sold out. Meanwhile they tour in the UK with loving Leprous

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The most obvious ones, Mastodon and Tool.

He said "prog bands"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Mayhem being Mayhem

Mayem's facebook page posted:

Tag someone that HATES the "new" The True Mayhem. You know that guy that complains about TRVE bands being on Facebook, while on facebook himself, etc etc

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

xzzy posted:

Deathgasm popped up on Netflix for me over the weekend, it didn't spend much time on metal music itself but it drew me in anyways. Probably the highlight of the movie was when the main character was trying to explain metal to a girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPiL8v19-uI

Killing demons with sex toys was the second best part, I think.

Oh poo poo yeah watching this tonight

Edit: hahaha dudes this movie loving rocked. Serious Evil Dead vibes going on. Laughed my rear end off. BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

the yeti posted:

Right yeah like of course it's muddy, the state fair is "muddy", but this was a boulevard of shin deep mud and standing water and a bunch of tents in a small pond, ugh.

Brutal