Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have this thing in my head which is either a faint memory or a dream. In this memory/dream, I was reading blabbermouth about five years ago and I saw a split EP between four bands who all had comically similar names. It was something like, a warbringer/battlebringer/warcry/battlecry split. Did this happen? I hope this happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

With Oden On Our Side and Versus the World are their best albums.

You misspelled "The Avenger" twice, are you drunk?

But yeah, all Amon Amarth albums are a bit samey, they all have about two completely excellent tracks on them, and then a bunch that feel like filler.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Serbern posted:

Yes, that too. I'm not very good at describing this stuff. I mean heavier riffs used as a kind of breakdown in a song, more often than not playing triplets in some way. The kick drum also helps a lot in achieving what I'm looking for.

The point of posting those two clips was to show what i like from Dimmu especially.

To apply this to other genres, this is also in the same "style" that I'm looking for:
Tool - Stinkfist 4:20 until 4:40. Here it's more of a build up than a breakdown though.
Hope that helps!

Try some bolt thrower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T5Zo3wnHw

edit: also the style of drumming you dislike is a "blastbeat".

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 21, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What are some more bands like Mgla and Taake that just do that kind of formulaic 90s norwegian stuff, but do it well? In both Mgla and Taake's case I really like the production, too.

These days it feels like everybody wants to be DsO and all I want is to get drunk and listen to songs about forests and moons and fogs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Heaps of good suggestions, thanks guys. I haven't had any new :black101: to listen to in ages.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really want to buy that blood duster album and then nail it to my wall or something. I don't know.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Are Dark Funeral worth seeing live? I like their recorded stuff, I guess.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I HATED them when I saw them with Grave. The singer is a clown, trying to get into the School Of Nergal with his stage antics.

Their drummer, however, was a loving machine. I'd watch that guy play any day of the week.

gently caress that, then. Thanks.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why are all these fuckheads listening to the radio on Destroyer 666 day?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESicEzUtqk

There's the full show. Holy shitballs. Battery is the opener and they absolutely tear that song to pieces. It's a brilliant example of why Metallica WERE one of the best metal bands of all time.

I watched this fervently hoping that there was a single metallica show where they didn't gently caress up the cool bit in creeping death. NOPE

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

Are you talking about the "Die" bit? I didn't notice anything...

They always extend it out to five or six times the length of the album recording and talk over it and get the crowd to sing along, and it goes on a lot longer and it kind of takes all the impact out of that bit. Pet hate. The crowd would sing along correctly even if they didn't do it, and it would be a cool, badass little interlude.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Can you guys think of any music similar to Galaktikon or Ziltoid? I'm in the mood for some stupid sci-fi space laser poo poo, but I don't really know what I'm looking for I guess. Doesn't have to be metal.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thanks for all the sci-fi recommendations, plenty of good stuff in there. I'm almost embarassed by how much I like Keldian. It's like Sonata Arctica with better pop sensibilities.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

edit: post is smug and pointless, in retrospect

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

If you were going to listen to Satyricon, you would listen to which album?

First, Dark Medieval Times, The Shadowthrone and Nemesis Divina are all excellent black metal. Most people think Nemesis Divina is the best.

Second, Rebel Extravaganza is a black metal/rock/noise hybrid that's pretty cool.

Third, Volcano is pretty good in a kind of minimal rock way.

Everything after is enjoyable but it sounds like a different band, and isn't on the same level as their early stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

Cheers for the recommendations. I'll check out Dark Medieval Times because I've heard of that album before...

I probably should've been more specific: What stuff are they likely to play live that I should check out?

Unfortunately they act like their first four albums (the ones that are good) don't exist.

This would be an incredible concert:

Walk the Path of Sorrow
Dark Medieval Times
Hvite Krists Dod
Woods to Eternity
Dominions of Satyricon
Mother North
Du Som Hater Gud
Immortality Passion

Sadly, this is what you will get:

Fuel for Hatred
Now, Diabolical
K.I.N.G.
A New Enemy
Black Crow on a Tombstone
Tro og Kraft
Our World, It Rumbles Tonight
Nekrohaven

And then somewhere near the end they'll play Mother North as their one, lonely tribute to the fact that they were once amazing and relevant.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Seeing Satyricon on a bill with Amon Amarth, Gwar and Black Dahlia murder next week in Melbourne. Last time I saw them was years ago, not sure what to expect this time round, not a fan of the newer albums so much but Satyr is a weirdo these days so I'm hoping he does something weird to entertain me.

I saw them somewhere around 2006 and they played a 50% old stuff and 50% new stuff and I had the time of my life. I saw them again in maybe 2010 or so, and they played 95% new stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Angel Dust is basically the best record of the nineties

I don't know what you even call that 90s alternative scene thing (what does alternative even mean anymore?) but angel dust is definitely the best of it

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I heard Babymetal for the first time today, am I the only one that thinks it doesn't actually sound very different from your by-the-numbers metalcore/melodeth grey area crossover band? If the voices were a slightly lower pitch I doubt I would be able to tell the difference.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

hungry_mantis posted:

Haven't read the thread in awhile, so might be a little late

Didn't it literally come out yesterday?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like dinky folk metal 80% unironically. I was exposed to a lot of european folk music as a kid and I don't have trouble taking it seriously, so it's like a blend of ancient war music with modern war music. Trollfest are obviously a joke, but there are a couple of Finntroll albums I can listen to with near-complete seriousness. Is this weird?

Tangent: I feel like I'm going to die if I don't get to listen to the new Anaal Nathrakh soon.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Arkona are my jam and if you like folky stuff you should definitely check out the album Goi, Rode, Goi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXlUxDGFvU

I just caught up on ten pages or something and I'm convinced that VarDovoli is actually an alt account made by one of you. Maybe I've just been separated from the bad parts of the internet for too long and I've forgotten how bad people are, though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Josh Barnett is the most adorable dork. http://fightland.vice.com/video-blog/playing-magic-the-gathering-with-josh-barnett

"This is my favourite Magic the Gathering card because he looks like the dude from Ghost".

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I struggle to think of a genre of music other than rap where the lyrics actually matter. It's such a weird thing for people to fixate on.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

nerve posted:

haha what the heck this is a dumb rear end post

You know when people who don't like metal are like "This is bad, you can't even hear the words"?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gamma Nerd posted:

Basically it's about a future where data is uploaded to people in cryosleep so they can serve as supercomputers for directing collective human behavior. Something goes wrong, the main character Krighsu awakens from cryosleep, and he escapes the destruction of the universe to attempt to recreate humanity using the data stored in his brain. It's all very :catdrugs: but I love it when bands go all-out on concept like that, especially when their sound reflects their aesthetic and narrative.

Wouldn't machines be better supercomputers than lovely human brains? It's kind of the same problem as The Matrix. You could get more power out of yeast than human beings. And you wouldn't need to create the lovely artificial world either.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Lamb of God are the new Pantera in the way that matters most.

If I witness five fat racist pieces of whitetrash abusing an Indian guy on a train loudly and relentlessly for being foreign late at night, they used to wear all be wearing Pantera shirts. Now they're all wearing Lamb of God shirts.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

holy loving crap this new napalm death album is great

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The hardest grey area are those bands that write some dodgy racist lyrics when they're young and then grow out of it, and it hangs around as a smear on their record forever.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This makes me sad for 2 reasons:

1) I like Lamb of God
2) Randy Blythe does not encourage that kind of poo poo to my knowledge, he seems pretty progressive and such (regardless of how you feel about him killing the guy accidentally)

It wasn't my intention to accuse either band of racism. They just accidentally appeal to a sort of casually racist bogan crowd who want to be perceived as listening to tough-guy-music, and it's very accessible stuff so it's widespread. Also, I witnessed the scene I described about five or six years ago, and it's been stuck in my head ever since. It was one of those bystander effect moments, I was way outnumbered but I wanted to intervene, so I was trying to get eye contact going with a couple of big dudes near me but everybody was avoiding eye contact with everybody else, ugh

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Father_Johann posted:

Hitler was a German, Germany's flag has three colors, there are three sides to a triangle, the all seeing eye symbol has a triangle, ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED.

It is, sadly, not a joke. Here's what you get when you google image search those numbers.

http://i.imgur.com/4CzmDZy.jpg(NWS)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

name a metal band without a gimmick

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Gimmick 1: Being Foreign
Gimmick 2: Shirts Lack Sleeves

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uWIg5hI7hE

New Arcturus track. I checked back a couple of pages and it doesn't look like it's been posted yet? I like it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It doesn't blow me away, but I don't dislike it. My opinion isn't reliable though, If Arcturus took a dump on my chest and called it an album I'd buy it and call it album of the year

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Dave is literally the only person who contributed more to society while he was on drugs rather than off.

Trent Reznor: The Fragile -> Rehab -> With Teeth

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I liked using the term "post-black metal" to describe all those bands like Ulver who started out metal and then went flying off sideways into weirdness, but now people use that term to describe burzum clones who have a little shoegaze mixed in, so I don't think it applies anymore

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Forgive me if I've been beaten to the punch on this, I don't read this thread much, but Batushka is blowing me away right now. It's black metal with a little bit of a doom vibe, heavily mixing in a lot of gregorian (?) chant. Has the chanty vibe of Si Monumentum but in a simpler, more fun way. Fun is perhaps the wrong word. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhBykAA0D8

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Man, I had no idea how much I needed Enforcer in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Demons and Wizards did an album about those lovely Stephen King books