Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

thepitgoddess posted:

If you have to ask...well basically what everyone else said. It's good that most of those dudes have a sense of humor about what they do (please tell me this is true for more than just Alestorm!) but they could just...write/do poo poo that's less gimmicky.

Speaking of Alestorm, I was going to see them last night but a ticket on the same day of the show was like $42 and I was like, fuuuuuuuck that. I still haven't (been sober enough to remember having) seen Swashbuckle yet, but I've met all of the guys from it and they're pretty cool.

FrankenVader posted:

time for some real metal. My favorite thing about Metal was the singers.....ya know, people that actually sing....oh, and the guitar solos \m/ \m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHku19fQck

Rock on Mr. Dickinson..you glorious bastard

Eh, I've made my peace with Iron Maiden and their fans, though I do get your point about singing. As far as clean vocals go, I tend to like weird over "good" (Dave Mustaine, for example), and I like both over Bruce "Cat Being Murdered" Dickinson.

Anyhow, clean vocal-ed metal ahoy (going to see these guys in a little under 23 hours, dying of excitement):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QmQRhCLtXU

edit:

Gorilla Radio posted:

If you like this, you might like Kiuas. More Kiuas

Kiuas is awesome. Here is an extremely cheesy tribute song to Dimebag Darrell by them that occasionally gets stuck in my head for days at a time.

If you like Kiuas, might I suggest Falconer?

Radio Paranoia posted:

I also enjoyed Finntroll's "Under Bergens Rot" video, cos it was... umm... cute?

That song is only good when I'm in an advanced state of drunkenness, which I'm pretty sure means that I don't ACTUALLY like it. Den Frusna Munnen is probably my favorite song on Nifelvind.

Anyone here like Equilibrium? They're like Finntroll, but a little heavier and are consistently less gimmicky (don't listen to "Met" though).

Man, I am just full of recommendations this morning. :)

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Am I going to have to find the article where a classical voice coach wrote about how good Bruce Dickinson's voice was, or can we just agree that you don't appreciate voices with ridiculous range, and he doesn't actually sound like a cat being murdered?

We can do that last thing. I fully expected to get poo poo on for not liking Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson, so whatever.

Speaking of singers, I saw Diamond Head last night and their current lead singer sounds weird, but the show was still very nice. The setlist was like 85% Lightning To The Nations, which the crowd went crazy for.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

BSchlang posted:

I really liked Endgame :colbert:
or at least half of it

I really like three songs from Endgame, and the rest are good and listenable, though not great. I have high hopes for the new album, and I think each Megadeth album after Risk has been increasingly good. Who knows though, maybe I'm a fangirl or something

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hellwuzzat posted:

I see The Offspring at the bottom of your list. Would that be the delicious self-titled album?

I think it's probably a random assortment of songs off Smash, Ignition, and their self-titled, mostly for nostalgia. When I was 12, I used to spend most of my free time playing The Offspring (and sometimes Metallica) on my cheap guitar, thinking I was hot poo poo. Memories...

Haggins posted:

I'm curious to know what other people's all time charts look like. This is from 3 years of mine:

Here's my all-time chart, and I've been a member since 2006 (I listened to David Cross routines while I did homework, and I graduated college in '09 -- I can't really explain the mc chris though):

Fun fact: My top overall tracks contains three Megadeth songs. My top tracks from the last 12 months contains 14 (and the one straggler is a Metallica song).

Another fun fact: I am so stoked for the Big Four show that I had a dream about it. :blush:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Rumors are floating around that Megadeth has canceled on the Big Four show, in which case, SOMEBODY might have a spare ticket soon...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Welp, guess I'm gonna be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Revolver Magazine posted:

In an interview with Zakk Wylde for RevolverTV, backstage at tonight’s Metal Masters 2 clinic, bassist David Ellefson revealed that Megadeth would not be playing the Big Four concert on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. When Zakk asked him whether he was excited about the big show, the bassist said that it was hard for him because it looked like they wouldn’t be playing. Vocalist-guitarist Dave Mustaine had injured his shoulder while playing on the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour and was unable to play. He did say that there were two more days and he asked everyone to pray for the Megadeth frontman and maybe somehow they would be able to play. Revolver will keep you posted of any developments as they happen.

edit: :smithicide:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IRQ posted:

Within Temptation even still plays at metal shows? Why?

They don't even consider THEMSELVES metal, as far as I know. The mind boggles.

Also,

Blabbermouth posted:

**UPDATE** BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received word that MEGADETH will, in fact, take part in this Wednesday's concert as scheduled. A brand new video message from MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson confirming the band's intention to play the show can be seen below.***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5ILniUYuU

Okay then.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ThePutty posted:

I think you should have a Classic/NWOBHM Metal section in that list. Throw all the NWOBHM bands and Sabbath into that and you have a complete coverage, unless you're just recommending the more extreme varieties.

I could make a couple of recommendations, but I'm no expert whatsoever. My musical preferences are going back in time, from folk to death to thrash to NWOBHM. It's weird. Without further ado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5L8RrphXRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236Lquwq22A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpavSXoAPC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNUyjRRjxM

Okay, that's a little more than a couple.

edit: Also I found this amusing.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 2, 2011

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Capitulator posted:

Endgame (Type B): Two really solid tracks, rest not bad either.

Out of curiosity, which two? I have two favorites myself (title track and the one right after it), but I really like all the tracks on the album and wouldn't necessarily call the ones I like "standouts" or anything.

Neurosis posted:

Gotta disagree with this one. Blessed Are the Dead, You're Dead and Amerikhastan were all kind of eh but the rest of the tracks were pretty good (sans the A Tout le Monde track which I just mentally parse out because it does nothing new).

I've always hated A Tout Le Monde, but song for song, I like United Abominations much more than The System Has Failed. Sleepwalker, Washington Is Next, Play For Blood and You're Dead are all loving great.

Happy national metal day, everyone! :rock:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

dxt posted:

going back to the metal shirts discussion,

I was going out somewhere and my only dry t-shirts were my Kill 'Em All shirt and a shirt repping a local band (Hypoxia -- check them out, they're awesome). After much deliberation, I decided to wear my Hypoxia shirt. I wasn't even halfway down the block when I saw this obscenely hot guy wearing a Master Of Puppets t-shirt and cursed myself for not having an easy conversation-starter.

What might have been... :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ingram posted:

Anyone here been listening to the new Megadeth album? I've avoided them in the past because I can't stand Dave's voice but this album is kinda growing on me. Has good riffs and the lyrics aren't half bad.

If only Metallica were still going strong like this.

I love the new album! "Public Enemy No. 1" is kind of a low point, which is surprising considering how much of a hit it's supposed to be.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Not that I can afford ANYTHING since I bought my Gigantour ticket, but I really wish they had a wider women's selection. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Vintersorg posted:

I am sick to death of Dimebag Darrell worship.

I don't know if it's "worship" as much as it is using him as excuses to do things. A bar in Brooklyn is having a guitar raffle and donating the proceeds to some charity, and I'm definitely going, but only because it's my favorite bar and I don't have anything better to do.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

QPZIL posted:

I know at least 3 people who got tattoos of him after he died... it's kind of "worship".

I interpreted Vintersorg's comment as a direct reply to that Dimefest image. Dimebag tattoos are pretty loving over-the-top. :stare:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

MrBling posted:

Slayer are playing Copenhell 2012 next summer. Are they still worth watching?

I saw them at Yankee Stadium in September and they were amazing, and I don't even care for them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DEAR RICHARD posted:

No one liked the new Mastodon, Megadeth, Anthrax and Opeth albums?

I loved the new Mastodon and Megadeth albums, I haven't listened to the new Anthrax and I've always found Opeth boring.

I tried to make a top ten of 2011 list, but then I realized I'd only listened to four 2011 releases. Most of my year was spent listening to and falling in love with Motörhead, Exodus, Saxon, Overkill, and Diamond Head. :corsair:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Qu Appelle posted:

Tyr has a new release, I need to rectify that omission in my music collection.

As a die-hard Týr fan, I disliked their newest release. Apparently a lot of people in this thread really liked it, but I really really didn't.

edit: Every time I listen to their cover of "I" (not often, because it sucks), I laugh at the way Heri says "I'm a WHOOORE!"

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 23, 2011

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

het posted:

I would have expected Turisas to go in this sort of direction before Tyr really. Monkeytime was the one who spurred me to really give this album a chance, and I think he said he'd read an interview where they said they made a deliberate decision to go for a catchier/poppier angle.

Turisa maybe OUGHT to go in that direction. Stand Up And Fight was almost completely unlistenable.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nordick posted:

Stand Up And Fight is actually a loving fantastic album. Vikings on Broadway sound ftw.

Vikings on Broadway is exactly right, for better or (much, MUCH) worse.

Orbital Sapling posted:

Heljareyga (Henri's side project) kind of fulfills what I was looking for, but it's just not the same :smith:

I enjoy Heljareyga, but I'm sad that they'll probably never get to play here. They would have fit in perfectly on the Paganfest 2012 bill.

quote:

I was also kind of disappointed with what Turisas decided to do as well, that album did not do it for me at all. The Varangian Way was awesome with its weird prog hintings, but the band decided to go for the ultra catchy chorus route instead of fleshing the prog elements out a little more.

This sure didn't help out my enjoyment of the album.

The Varangian Way was so, so awesome. I liked Battle Metal too, but in The Varangian Way, they really let loose with the fiddle and accordion in a way that was a lot of fun.

As for your lyrical concerns,

maybe my favorite Turisas song ever posted:

Six regular edges and six vertices
Six equilateral triangles
Six square faces in another direction
Plato's earth transparent

So their lyrics get a little weird. Leave them alone, they're Finns and they make metal. There are so many things to complain about in Stand Up And Fight -- the words are the least of its problems.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I saw Turisas at Tuska this year and had a moment in which I thought to myself "Do I even like this band?" Seriously, after the third Stand Up And Fight song in a row, I started to think that maybe I was only standing at this stage out of sheer force of habit. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Perfect Element posted:

For the people who are yearning for a decent way to hear about shows, if you use last.fm much they compile a pretty comprehensive gig list for you, which includes bands you actually listen to as well as ones that you... might listen to.

Songkick does the same thing and even emails you alerts about artists/bands that you track. I found out that Onslaught is playing in Brooklyn in April that way.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Neither GOD nor cancer will keep me from this...

Decibel Magazine Tour dates w/BEHEMOTH, WATAIN, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE:

Apr. 11 - Columbus, OH - The Bluestone
Apr. 12 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls
Apr. 13 - Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge
Apr. 14 - St. Paul, MN - Station Four
Apr. 16 - Lawrence, KS - Granada Theater
Apr. 17 - Denver, CO - Summit Theatre
Apr. 18 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
Apr. 20 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
Apr. 21 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw
Apr. 22 - Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theater
Apr. 23 - San Francisco, CA - Slims
Apr. 25 - Los Angeles, CA - House Of Blues
Apr. 26 - Phoenix, AZ - Nile Theater
Apr. 27 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
Apr. 29 - San Antonio, TX - White Rabbit
May 01 - Tampa, FL - Orpheum
May 02 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
May 04 - Charlotte, NC - Amos Southend
May 05 - Baltimore, MD - Rams Head
May 06 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero Theatre
May 08 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
May 09 - Montreal, QC - Club Soda
May 10 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial
May 11 - Worcester, MA - Palladium
May 12 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza

I have to go to the May 6 show in Philly because Overkill is playing on the 12th in NYC. First world problems, I guess, but still :argh:

aliencowboy posted:

Speaking of Satan, there's also King Diamond North American tour dates forthcoming.

:derp: ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod :derp:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Wow, Megadeth's setlist was powerfully lame tonight. :smith:

Also, all Megadeth fans other than me are horrible. I almost got into three fights tonight, and I am generally a very agreeable person!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

uncle jimbo posted:

I googled the setlist and you indirectly saved me probably $100 or so, thanks

was this it?

Trust
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Sweating Bullets
Angry Again
Poison Was the Cure
Dawn Patrol
Public Enemy No. 1
Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)
Guns, Drugs & Money
A Tout Le Monde
(with Cristina Scabbia)
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Encore:
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

eh

Yes. I don't understand -- are they allergic to KIMB or something? What I would give to hear Last Rites/Loved To Deth and Chosen Ones at a Megadeth show... :allears:

Dave Mustaine brought his daughter out and had the band play Happy Birthday for her about 3/4 of the way between Peace Sells, which was kind of cute. Then some meatheads right behind me started chanting "gently caress YOUR DAUGHTER!" after the song was over. Then (slightly more justifiably, but still hella rudely) the same meatheads booed Cristina Scabbia when she came out for A Tout Le Monde.

I almost got into three physical fights during Megadeth's set alone, why are Megadeth fans such horrible people :smithicide:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nordick posted:

And folk metal, well, Korpiklaani are pretty boring as far as I'm concerned.

Korpiklaani are boring in your living room and fantastic in concert. Plus, I have an enormous and frankly embarrassing crush on their new violinist. :allears:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Golem II posted:

DOWN
EXODUS
GLORIOR BELLI (France)
MANILLA ROAD
MIDNIGHT
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PENTAGRAM
SPEEDWOLF
VENOM (UK)

Oh god oh god oh god I wanna goooooo :derp:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Turk February posted:

I don't know about you guys but I prefer not to support philosophically or monetarily bands who wish for the extinction of my friends, family and I because of our skin color happening to be darker than they would like. But that's just me.

I feel the exact same way. I was devastated when I found out about Atlantean Kodex. :smith:

As an unrelated aside, I have to wait five months to see Einherjer and I'm losing my mind.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
myGRAIN is done. I never got to see them live. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Non Serviam posted:

I'm OK with text in the back, like tour dates, etc., but I hate it when they're just rude things.
I don't care about curse words in my daily life, but I rather not walk around with JESUS IS A oval office written on my back, like an edgy annoying teen.

I had a local metal band's shirt for a while and it said "Long Island loving Metal" or something like that on the back. Why bother having a band shirt that literally can't be worn anywhere but a show?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Going to see Tengger Cavalry tonight. :toot:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I found out that one of my favorite coworkers died, and then like 30 minutes later, this. Mondays, amirite? :haw: :smith: :cry:

Geisladisk posted:

This is sad as hell, but not really a surprise, I guess. Dude was unhealthy as gently caress and been a raging alcoholic since his teens.

COB was my gateway drug into death metal.

Rip guy. :(

The last time I saw him, which was at least 10 years ago, he looked really terrible. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd died then, but by now he'd slipped off of my radar so it's more of a terrible surprise that it would have been.

Kvlt! posted:

I've never listened to CoB besides their Britney cover, what should I listen to to start?

That cover is dire. You should probably listen to anything else. Like probably plenty of other people, I've only heard "Kissing the Shadows".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This DragonForce/Firewind/Vision of Atlantis/Seven Spires show rejuvenated my whole spirit. If you're in their tour path and you like power metal, you should go.

edit:

Vargatron posted:

Visigoth does a cool fusion of power metal/trad metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQ7lOcZCUo

I should pay closer attention to this thread so that I can second recommendations like this.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 4, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kvlt! posted:

I wanna go to a DF show just to see if Herman Li is really doing all that cool shredding. I assume he is but I've read the debate online so many times.

Confirmed.

Nazzadan posted:

In the Inhuman Ramage era they were also completely shitfaced every single show, any comments I've seen about them from that time were extremely negative and old live footage isn't great. They did pull themselves together for that live album before they fired ZP and they sound great on it. Well maybe not great, but it's a fine live album for 2010 DragonForce.

The first time I saw Dragonforce -- the only time before last night that I'd seen Dragonforce -- was in 2007, and the band was terrible...with the exception of Herman Li. ZP is, to this day, the worst live singer I have ever heard. I can't even describe it, I've never even heard karaoke that bad. Herman Li was and remains loving amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Iceberg-Slim posted:

The Finntroll guy fell off a bridge and died IIRC, which is pretty in character

Literally stopped breathing when I read this

quote:

E:
Per wikipedia:
On 16 March 2003, shortly before the release of Visor om slutet, guitarist Teemu Raimoranta died when he fell off a bridge in Hakaniemi, Helsinki. Although they had lost their last remaining founding members in this tragic event, the band did not dissolve, but after some time decided to go on, touring Europe for two weeks, supported by the band Katatonia

Literally resumed breathing when I read this, then I felt bad for not feeling bad