Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

About time on that Absolute Top 10. We'll finally be able to see all of the tiny references in the panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

So did anyone get this? What's it like? Any cool extras?

I got it. I didn't notice anything really off about it but nothing really special either. It's just your standard well-executed OSHC. Good if you don't have the material (I didn't) but I wouldn't upgrade any existing hard covers for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got the new Uncle Scrooge collection in the mail only to find that someone had defaced it. They stuck a foreword by George Lucas in the book. :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yes, Ducks are way more popular in Europe.

Fantagraphics has set out to reprint all of Carl Bark's work, but it will take something like 15 years to complete.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=699&Itemid=62

I think it's six years to complete, actually. They just released the second volume this month (my post about it is on this page, in fact) and the next Donald centric volume is due out in November.

I do wish more Rosa stuff would be collected. Those are some handsome volumes the Swedes are getting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only thing worse than reshelving your collection is getting part way through and realize you've skipped a few Showcase Presents volumes that go on the very first shelf.

That and how you keep going, "Oh, I never finished that. I should order the last couple of volumes."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

After I spent all of Sunday getting my shelves in order I feel the need to post some pictures too:

(That's in a really tight spot that's hard to get a clear picture of.)

That gap is all of the free space I have left after I freed up the glass case in the third picture by moving an entire collection to another room. And I got two more books in the mail today...

And I still have two to three shelves worth of manga that need to be put away...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

Random Stranger your collection is awesome! Nice variety.

Not as much as I'd like. I'm a big fan of the medium in general (as opposed to being a fan of superheroes or certain creators or characters) and I always feel like there's huge swaths of it that I'm just missing out on. I don't have any 1950's SF or monster comics in my collection, for example. I don't have nearly enough European works in my collection, newspaper stuff going up to about the 1960's, and other golden age works.

But expanding the variety is tough when there's always a hole that needs filling. Every time I finished a shelf I had another two books that I needed to get more of to follow up what I had already enjoyed.

Edit: I just got an e-mail from I wasn't expecting from Amazon. I have a very old pre-order for Essential Captain Marvel volume 2 from years ago when it was on the schedule but it got yanked. Now it's back on the schedule for early next year. I've been waiting for this Jim Starlin cosmic action for a long time...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 19, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

Amazon is well known to get books 1-2 weeks after comic book shops.

Yeah, Amazon gets their books through a book distributor rather than Diamond which is understandable given how Diamond cost them a couple of million a few years ago (that was such a great weekend... :spidey::hf::flashfap: ).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Absolute Sandman is basically golden, right? I really want to buy Sandman because what I've read is amazing, and while Annotated Sandman seems pretty awesome it doesn't really seem like a great way to read most of the comic for the first time.

The only thing I'd balk at is that it's a huge investment if you've never read the series before. It's a masterpiece and the Absolutes are by far the best way to get it between the scaled up art, the extras, and how they restored everything to the correct order but that doesn't mean that you'll definitely love it enough to get six volumes like that. There are some unfortunate, sick, delusional people out there who don't like Sandman (probably degenerates as well) and even one volume could be too much for them.

Basically what I'm saying is yes, the Absolutes are perfect but be sure that you want to commit to getting the whole set (volumes 1 to 5 and Absolute Death) before diving in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

And yes, very awesome. It's actually what got me reading comics again as an adult- well, that and Flight.

Awesome is selling it short. Maus is among the best works on the Holocaust I've encountered. It's one of the most significant works of comics as literature. It's gained massive respect and critical praise; it won a Pulitzer prize.

Basically you need to read Maus; it's one of the high water marks of the medium.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

There are so many omnibuses that need to be reprinted. I'm just not going to hand over $200+ for PunisherMAX or Fantastic Four volume 2, sorry.

Still waiting on Alias here...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the Grendel omnibus yet but I'm pretty concerned about it. The back cover tells me that it will be "following the story chronology" which is something I don't care for (publication order is always better for getting the context and artistic development) but that's something I can live with.

A few years ago I picked up Grendel: Black, White, and Red thinking that short stories about the character would be a good way to get into the series. The problem was that almost every story in it was a follow up to some other part of the Grendel series and it jumped around a lot. I got huge blocks of exposition in these eight page stories about when exactly it took place. That made it a really uninviting way to get in.

So the Grendel Omnibus with it's stories in some semblance of order seemed like a better option for me. Except the very first comics in the omnibus (after what looks like a prose recap): Black, White, and Red. And not even with the stories rearranged chronologically; it's exactly the same as the trade. Looking up where the storylines fall the other material in the omnibus apparently comes in at the end of the story (both in publication order and chronologically). It feels like this should have been volume 3 or 4 in the omnibus set but they accidentally put the cover to volume 1 on it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've read almost all the Hunter Rose Grendel stories before, but I don't own them anymore so I've been looking forward to the Omnibus. Does it include the earliest three issues that predated Devil By the Deed, or Grendel #16-19, with two short Hunter Rose stories from the original Comico run (after the Christine Spar and Brian Li Sung Grendel sagas)?

I don't think so but I'm not really familiar with the source. Here's what's in the table of contents:

Devil By the Deed
Black, White, and Red
Sympathy from the Devil
Red, White, and Black
Behold the Devil

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Marvels November Solicits

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1208/15/marveltrades.htm

Whoever buys the X-Force omnibus is an idiot or has OD'd on nostalgia. Might go for Iron Man but the material isn't that great and I'd happily read it in the Essential format.

I assume the Daredevil book is an OSHC. Might get it, just finding it had to give a poo poo about Marvel at the moment.

Speaking of mutant books from that era, I noticed that Essential X-Factor has reached the first Peter David run. Not actually gotten into it, mind you since he only wrote the last issue in the volume and it's an issue where he's clearing the decks for the new team that starts. I find it really amusing that half the Essential X-Factor volume is other books since that was the point where the mutant books started becoming intertwined in eternal crossovers. So I guess if you wanted a cheaper way to read the X-Tinction Agenda or the Muir Island Saga you're in luck (you're also deranged).

The DD OTOH is already ordered.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Let's be fair. It's not "Bleeding Cool gives you a way of getting DC Absolutes for 60% off." It's Barnes and Noble has a buy 2 get 1 free sale. Use this link and don't bother giving the rear end in a top hat any hits: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=42220 .

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

obi_ant posted:

It seems that Incognito: The Classified Edition is out. Anyone picking this guy up? I was a real fan of Criminal and I'm thinking of picking it up.

I've got it already. If you're a fan of Brubaker I'd say get it without hesitation. My only major complaint was where it stopped. The first miniseries is reasonably self-contained but the second was building storylines. Even though it's main plot was complete it goes into was is clearly supposed to be the hook for the next one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

West Coast Avengers Omnibus coming

Okay, someone at Marvel is high on something. Probably multiple people since someone had to come up with the idea and someone else had to approve it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found that some of the pages in the new Flash Omnibus 3 are reversed. The third to last and second to last page, to be exact. I wonder if DC is going to correct this...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Why did no one tell me that a new edition of the Ultimate Metabarons hardcover was coming out in two weeks? The last printing of it was commanding obscene and ridiculous prices when I wanted to pick it up about six months ago. At least I've got a copy ordered now...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

You know the expensive one, which is still available, is an Absolute style book, while the new edition due in a week is a standard style hardcover, right?

Actually, I didn't since Amazon has them listed with the exact same title. Also when I checked before Amazon didn't have any in stock so I thought that the $100+ price was the typical gouging that we've seen lately.

Still, I have no complaints about getting a nice 550 page hard cover with the only downside being a lack of slipcase and oversized pages.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Adam Strange posted:

So I'm thinking of picking up the second Criminal hardcover but some people are reporting that there are some missing word balloons in the first issue of The Sinners. Is this a widespread problem? I can only find two people on twitter and another on the amazon forums talking about it which makes me think it isn't but I'd like to make sure just in case.

It's a problem with mine. Some words are literally cut in half vertically which makes it look like they somehow cut off the layer that contained the lettering. Anything below that line (about 80% of the way down the page) is just unlettered.

It's about four pages where this happens and nothing really vital gets cut off but it is annoying to see such sloppy quality control for an expensive book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

We're definitely in the holiday shipping season. I got the Metabarons hardcover, the Donald Duck hardcover, and Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind box set on my doorstep all on the same day. That's a lot of good comics to get all at once...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

How big are the Nausicaa books? I've been debating pulling the trigger, but this month is a goddamn killer for me on trades.

They're a bit bigger than a normal trade. Two hardcover volumes in a really nice looking slip case and each volume is around 550 pages. I recall when First printed the series back in the 80's that they gave it really nice coloring job (though my memory may be faulty there since it's been more than twenty years since I've read that version) and these volumes are your standard black and white.

It's a really terrific set for the $33 I paid through Amazon but I agree that I wish November wasn't such a rough month for releases...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

How's the binding on the Nausicaa hardcovers? Viz isn't exactly known for doing big HCs like that, so I'm a bit worried...

It seems pretty solid. They open wide with no sign of tension on the binding; no stressed feeling on the pages or cracking sound. Feels very tight so I was concerned that it might be a problem. It does seem like it's glued, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wouldn't mind those Dredd annuals from the pictures since we don't get those on this side of the Atlantic but I'll just settle for the plain old Judge Dredd case files rather than spend £1500.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Despite claiming on the dustjacket that it was "collected in its entirety", it should come as no surprise that the 52 omnibus is actually missing quite a bit. Nothing vital, but I'd rather have the character write ups from each issue instead of the sketches. And while World War 3 was completely awful, it was created to spackle over a gap in the story.

The omnibus seems like its just the trades in one cover. There's nothing wrong with that; I was just hoping for more...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Sandman gets an Omnibus now too? gently caress you DC, this is just getting dumb.

That does seem a bit redundant with the Absolutes but I'm not going to shed tears on it taking a slot in the printing schedule. Between Solo (which I figured was gone down the hole forever) and a golden age Superman omnibus I'm thrilled. And Showcase Presents Jonah Hex volume 2! I've been waiting almost a decade for that one!

It's nice to see Kirby's OMAC coming back into print, too, but I don't need that one. I can only strongly recommend it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is it really that good of a series? A lot of Mike Carey's work at Marvel was hit or miss for me.

I don't care for it myself but there's a lot of people out there who love it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yay I found a copy of Starman Omnibus 3 hardcover at a shop in Annapolis, so I bought that and ordered the last three books since I guess they're going out of print.

That one won't surprise me if they do another printing. It may be just that the stocks of existing copies have run dry while they wait for a hole in the schedule.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

People who buy comics in general are a niche audience, people that buy collections of comics are a smaller niche and people that buy gigantic collections of comics are even more so.

Actually people who buy collections of comics are larger than the people who buy comics. It's been that way for about ten years now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

I did not know that. Also, has DC heard about this? Because their behavior indicates that they have not.

The book store market is a bit different from the superhero market. That said, no one will ever truly understand the madness at the heart of DC's trade department...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How often do you guys even read your Marvel Omnibus collections? I want the New X-Men really badly but it seems unwieldy.

I hold it in one hand while I curl 60 pound dumbbells with the other arm.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Actually, one thing that I am quite disappointed about is that I would need a small fortune to get any of the books in this series past volume 11. That's just the way it goes.

I bought all of the series a couple of years ago right before the price shot up on all of them to astronomical.

For what it's worth volume 11 is one of the more skippable of the series. It's worth reading, of course, but you can jump right onto Grasscutter, one of the best storylines in the series, without missing much.

My understanding is that Usagi is a bit of an evergreen for Dark Horse so I'm sure it'll be reprinted; it's just that it's such a huge series that the reprint schedule takes forever.

I am pretty sick of underprinted volumes skyrocketing in price. It's become absolutely absurd and somewhat random what will cost you an arm and a leg and what you can pick up cheap...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Colonel Pancreas posted:

My copy just came, and I was surprised it doesn't have a dust jacket. First Absolute I've gotten that that's the case with. I don't particularly mind--I hate those things. New trend with Absolutes?

Kingdom Come and the various Endless absolutes don't have dust jackets either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is a bunch of stuff already collected multiple times over including some high end premium reprints really the best way to inaugurate this line of wallet drainers? If it was Ennis's Punisher at least that would be a situation where the omnibus is out of print and there's still a lot of demand for the material.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I read it when it came out. Only bits of it are by Gaiman. It wouldn't be my first choice for a massive collection but as you'd expect the Gaiman parts are pretty good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Ummmm... This is tempting. But I assume you'd charge more to ship to me.

How big (physically) is the Sleeper omni? My store is sold out of it already, but they'll be ordering more in. I think I'd love to get it, but €75 seems a bit saucy.

About 600 pages with a healthy section of bonus material at the back. Definitely one of the better omnibuses I've gotten.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'll spoil this on the off chance someone is still going through the early part of Fables and enjoying speculation about a more awesome choice of Adversary:

That may have seemed novel to you, but I've read about two dozen "evil Peter Pan" stories. The concept is so inherently sinister that it seems like everyone goes, "Hey, maybe Peter Pan is actually a bad guy!" If it had turned out that way I would have rolled my eyes; the character it turned out to be was a much better choice though I think the build up and reveal could have been handled better.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 21, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sporklift posted:

I just ordered the Doctor Strange Masterworks V.5, is V.4 necessary at all? I don't really have that much experience with the character but I have heard good things about the crazy psychedelic art from this era.

The stuff in Masterworks v4 is probably the most skippable chunk of Dr. Strange stories from the era. That covers a brief period where they tried to make Dr. Strange into a standard superhero (the blue face era) and a really rambling Lovecraft pastiche where the storyline went through about four different writers in five issues. Right after this things improve dramatically as Englehart takes over and they do the Shuma-Gorath storyline. And that volume contains the first storyline of the 1974 series which is what made me love the character.

You chose wisely.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

onefish posted:

Re: InStockTrades-- wow. Hadn't heard of them. Went and looked, and better prices than Amazon or B&N (right now, at least). And apparently much better packaging according to reviews/commentary.

Fair warning though. The one time I used them they took fifteen days between placing my order and shipping it.

Nodoze posted:

Is there anything good that's in danger of going out of print soon

The way that comic book publishes handle their printing? Everything.