Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Just a heads up, Top Shelf is doing one of its $3 sales for the next few weeks. Even if there's nothing you really want, for $3 you could just pick stuff at random and probably get your money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
God dammit. Speaking of forgotten orders, why did I forget that I pre-ordered "Holy Terror" in a fit of madness?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

krut posted:

Madman Atomica - $69.99
:byodood:

...I promise I don't work for Thwipster.

drat you.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Shameless posted:

It was solicited the other day. It's one of those smaller-sized Dark Horse paperback Omnibuses, not an HC.

drat. I assume this means I'll never get HC versions of "God and the Devil" or "Devil's Reign" to finish out my collection. I've got HC versions of nearly everything in the Omnibus, but I'll probably buy it anyway, just to have a convenient single-volume "reading copy".

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Happy Hippo posted:

Deathblow #1-3 (Is this that Jim Lee 90s book?)

It's almost certainly the Deathblow: Byblows mini-series, which is based on the same character, but is actually a crazy post-apocalyptic story where a female clone of the original character is running around in animal hides fighting robots.

Beyond that, it looks like this is mostly his Wildstorm stuff (previously collected in the Wild Worlds TPB) combined with the traditional "stuff Alan Moore wrote before Watchmen" content (previously collected numerous times, including the DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore TPB).

It varies from passable to pretty awesome. The Wildstorm stuff always seemed weaker to me because I had very little idea what the hell went on in the books before Moore got his hands on them. I could tell he was doing "Weird Alan Moore Things" to them, but was never sure exactly what he was subverting/improving in the process versus random stuff he was just creating new.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
If memory serves, that specific volume had a very small run for some reason. It's been ridiculously expensive for a long time now.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Pricey, but tempting:

$810 for six hardcover volumes of R. Crumb sketchbooks.

quote:

In the last 20 years Crumb's artistic output has slowed considerably, making new works more rare and highly prized. This collection of over 600 unseen drawings created between 1996 and 2012 makes this a must-have collectible for every Crumb fan.

* The slipcased set is made with loving attention to detail in a size and format selected by the artist.
* Each book in the boxed set contains 220 pages, for a total of 1,320 pages of prime Crumb.
* The set includes a hand-written introduction, and marbleized page edges from a design created by the artist.
* Each set of this 1,000-copy limited edition also includes a signed color lithograph of a Crumb original.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
FYI, Top Shelf is doing another $3 TPB sale (also featuring some things that cost less than $3 and some things that cost more).

Transformers fans are encouraged to check out Incredible Change-Bots.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Dear lord. I actually think I have two copies of Seasons for some reason. That's some utterly baffling mark-up nonsense.

[edit] It actually looks like it sells for $20-30 on eBay with some regularity.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
If you search for completed auctions, ebay.co.uk shows Volume 11 selling recently for around £20 (including shipping) and 12 for around £15 (shipped). The Crazy Prices are just what wingnut scalpers are asking, not what anyone is actually paying.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
You're keeping them from falling into the hands of innocent children. You're a HERO.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
It's not REALLY about "normal people" for very long. The relationship stuff is there in significant quantities, but it's basically a straight-up thriller.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

sporklift posted:

I wish this series had been a complete Mirage collection.

Me too. Cutting out a bunch of the "guest written" early issues was a bummer because some of those stories are really crazy and interesting.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
FYI, Top Shelf is running its annual sale again.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Has anything weird happened to the dust jackets of your copy of SiP? The glossy bits of mine managed to get stuck together and peeled off when I went to reread them a while back.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Glenn Danzig posted:

Same here, I asked Terry about it, it's an issue with all copies. :(

Well, at least I'm not alone.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
They're pretty decent. Definitely a huge step up in quality from the Essentials, though usually featuring fewer issues per volume. I actually prefer the lower page count, since the binding is just glued and I don't like bending glued TPBs too much to keep the art from getting cut off in the middle. The coloring on the couple of volumes I have is very nice, though clearly restored to some degree.

For something like Moon Knight which, to my knowledge, doesn't have a proper hardcover collection available, it's a solid deal.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I'd say go with the Absolute, simply because the art looks amazing at that scale (and it's still relatively cheap).

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Endless Mike posted:

Walt Simonson's Thor

This, a thousand times (though it may not count as "reasonably" priced at this point).

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

beergod posted:

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/IDW/RAGNAROK-HC-VOL-01-LAST-GOD-STANDING/AUG150450

Have heard good things about this run. I know nothing about Thor.

I love this series. It's clear that Simonson is having a blast creating it.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. Looks like Valiant's Shadowman HC and Book of Death HC are out of print and stupidly expensive.

ANyone got a line on these? I will offer up a still shrink-wrapped Cable/Deadpool Omnibus in trade.

I've got the Book of Death Deluxe HC, but not shrink wrapped (read it once).

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Rhyno posted:

Oh reallllly....

Yessir. Shoot me a PM.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
The new "BEHOLD... GALACTUS" collection is... big.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
No. It's 14 issues (FF #48-50, #74-77, #120-123 and #242-244).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder what they're doing for the art. If it's just great big pages of digital flat colouring on crisp white paper, that'd be a shame, but I guess it's not really some archival edition either.
Gimme some gigantic fuckin' misaligned cmyk dots!

It is, sadly, the former. I guess you can have 2/3 of "huge", "cheap", and "fancy".