Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Wasabi powder.

Also add soy sauce maybe, Blue Diamond has an almond mix like that and it's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

I bought a pork shoulder to make adobo and now I have this bone that I don't know what to do with. Assuming I only have this bone and am unlikely to have enough other bones to make stock in the near future, is there anything I can do with it other than throw it in the trash?

It appears to be uncooked. You could trim off all remaining meat and give it to a friend for their pooch :3:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

I've got a get together coming up on Saturday and I'm making tacos for it. Need some help with planning and food storage/heating. I'll have access to a BBQ and I have a chimney starter, but I don't think I'll have any electricity.

Here's my gameplan so far:
Chicken for the tacos (pollo pibil) - Cook and shred on Friday, put it in the fridge in an disposable aluminium tray. Transport in a cooler with ice. Heat on the BBQ on Saturday. Desperately hope it doesn't end up dry.
Salsa roja - Make on Thursday, fridge, throw it in a thermos on Saturday
Pico de gallo - Make on Friday, fridge overnight. Put it in a bowl on Saturday in the cooler with the chicken.
Refried pinto beans - Soak Thursday, cook Friday, fridge. Heating these is my biggest concern. Any ideas?
Red cabbage slaw - Make Friday, in tupperware in the cooler on Saturday.
Corn tortillas - Make Saturday morning, throw them in a small cooler to keep warm. These should keep warm/moist for hours.
Flour tortillas - Make Saturday morning, wrap 5 to a foil parcel. Throw parcels on the grill to heat on Saturday.

Not super sure about the beans and the chicken. Open to suggestions!

Obviously you're doing a cookout; where? Depending on location you may be able to put a few hot coals in a fire pit or a park grill and do the beans over that with a grate or even just rocks to support your pot. Be creative (and safe), maybe.

Hell, you may even be able to use the chimney starter for it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Extremely lazy dinner cleaning out some of the frozen stuff my mom gives me, so I'm making chicken fried rice. Onion, bell pepper, peas, chicken. What should I spice the chicken up with? I have plenty of spices, soy sauce, even some stir fry sauce I may use.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Any kind really but if you want to make sure it doesn't turn into glue buy a more-waxy variety. Fingerlings or golds come to mind.

E: fingerlings would be a pain in the rear end to use if you don't like skins

Not necessarily. You could parboil them, then the skins would come off easy just peeling by hand after they've cooled a bit.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain to me why a diet would restrict someone from consuming vinegar? Health reasons, nutritional reasons, weird homeopathy?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It feels wrong to me because I don't buy the idea of sulphur particles sticking to the steel. Were that the case, the steel should smell like sulphur, right? Seems more likely that there's some kind of exchange of electrons causing the sulphur molecules to lose their grip/charge.

And now you see why I'm not a scientist.

The surface of stainless steel has a higher oxygen content than non-corrosion resistant steel. My first hypothesis would be that those smelly ions are reduced by free oxygen at the surface, rendering them inert.

This is a very superficial metallurgist's guess at what's going on. I'm almost positive it's significantly more complex than that.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a ~4.5 lb pork sirloin roast defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow. I'd like to prepare it on the grill, as the weather tomorrow is supposed to be about perfect. No dietary restrictions, and I think I can get most any ingredients I need here, and in fact I'd like a recipe that might push me to do something less traditionally Midwestern. Any suggestions?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

Maangchi is always a great guide for korea foods.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/napa-cabbage-kimchi

One tip though, always give your veg a taste after the post-salting rinsing step since depending on the size of your cabbage and the fineness of your particular salt, your cabbage might absorb more salt than maangchi's did. It says to rinse 3 times but you should rinse more if it's still very salty tasting, as you'll be adding back in more salt through the fish sauce. Don't rinse off all the salt or anything, just if it is already tasting a bit too salty after the rinse step, it's only going to be saltier after applying the paste.

Speaking of maangchi, this is super tasty, usually done with fattier pork but since it's sliced thinly and grilled quickly it should work with the leaner cut too: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi

Slicing it thinly and making Vietnamese style grilled pork skewers would also be good, made into noodle bowls or rice paper rolls:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Grilled_Meat_(Th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng)

Lettuce wraps sound perfect, thanks dude! I always like when I can make something that's easy to assemble from ingredients I can keep separate. Bachelor life.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Any general tips for taking the "edge" off of cruciferous veggies like rutabaga, kohlrabi etc. if you want to incorporate them into sweeter dishes?

My mom makes mashed rutabaga all the time and I never noticed any "edge" to the flavor. They're basically like whipped potatoes, butter and milk/cream included. Don't know if that works for your desired application, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ekster posted:

Given that it's tomato season I'm thinking about making full use of fresh tomatoes. I ofcourse plan to make a simple tomato sauce for pasta dishes and some tomato soup but I can't think of other dishes where fresh tomatoes will make a big difference.

Anyone know any other dishes that really benefit from fresh tomatoes? For example, I'm afraid most curries would overpower that herby smell of fresh tomatoes but I could be completely wrong about that.

Fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a balsamic vinaigrette is one of my favorite summer salads. Dead simple too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

Maangchi is always a great guide for korea foods.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/napa-cabbage-kimchi

One tip though, always give your veg a taste after the post-salting rinsing step since depending on the size of your cabbage and the fineness of your particular salt, your cabbage might absorb more salt than maangchi's did. It says to rinse 3 times but you should rinse more if it's still very salty tasting, as you'll be adding back in more salt through the fish sauce. Don't rinse off all the salt or anything, just if it is already tasting a bit too salty after the rinse step, it's only going to be saltier after applying the paste.

Speaking of maangchi, this is super tasty, usually done with fattier pork but since it's sliced thinly and grilled quickly it should work with the leaner cut too: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi

Slicing it thinly and making Vietnamese style grilled pork skewers would also be good, made into noodle bowls or rice paper rolls:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Grilled_Meat_(Th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng)

This turned out absolutely amazing. I have about half of the pork left in the marinade that I'll grill tomorrow; maybe it will be even better.

Thanks a ton! I had to make some substitutions (Bosc pears instead of Korean, honey instead of rice syrup) and I didn't measure hardly anything, and i don't know that I'd change the "recipe" I used.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I'm on vacation, I've got plenty of time for preparing food. I don't *need* to use the pesto but I'd like to if anyone has an idea for something that uses both ground beef and pesto in its recipe.

You could just make burgers, slather with pesto and serve on, like, toasted brioche. It's not a recipe but it probably wouldn't be bad. Especially if you add fresh tomatoes and some complementary cheese.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have left over uncooked corn on the cob from a bbq. 5 ears. Any ideas? I just used some of what I had left to roast up and throw into a bean chili.

I know chowder is obvious I feel like that's a little too thick considering it is a scortcher here today

Succotash. Cut the corn off the cob, add some pierced cherry tomatoes (or plum or whatever small size tickles your fancy), then coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. I like to add diced green chiles from a can for some heat and a bit more depth of flavor. I typically just throw this in a foil packet and let it cook on the cool side of my grill while doing the meat on the hot side, but you can also just throw it all in a covered pan and cook until the tomatoes pop and the corn is a nice bright yellow.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tyson Tomko posted:

Crock pot question.

We've had this crock pot for over 5 years and it's worked like a champ since day one. I'm not sure if it's been this way the entire time, but today I noticed the insert doesn't seem to fit the base (part that has heating element) very tightly, it kind of floats above it if that makes sense. The walls seem to make contact but I'm not sure how snug the bottom part is.

Like I said it could have been this way for years but either way I just now noticed it. I'm just doing some meatballs so it isn't a life or death situation, but I thought I'd throw the question out there while I wait to see what happens. Is this normal? Is it warped and I need to buy a new one?

I doubt that the "pot" part of the crock pot has warped, as I'm fairly sure that's a ceramic that will hold up to high temperature just fine. The heating element may have become a bit warped, though. I'd probably try it, and if it gets hot without smoking or otherwise indicating something isn't right, you're probably fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tyson Tomko posted:

So far so good (and smelling awesome), thanks!

Addendum: were the heating element not in contact with the pot, you'd likely start to hear some popping noise during heat up as the element can't dissipate heat into the pot and instead starts to overheat and locally expand. Doesn't sound like anything's wrong though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

How well does pork sirloin roast hold up to slow cooking? I grabbed some on special and I was thinking to make Serious Eats's chile verde recipe using it.

For the record, I had a pork sirloin roast last week and made pork bulgogi with it. It was terrific. In case you want to try something sorta unique with a strange (at least to me) cut.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, the Hannibal tv series is being cancelled. I'm hosting a series finale dinner at the end of the month. I'd like some advice on the menu, whether the order needs to be changed or if there's something that doesn't fit and should be replaced, etc:

- fruit plate
- oyster with chardonnay
- batter fried lamb brain with parsley sauce
- roasted (lamb?) heart with carrot and potato
- punch romaine (champagne rum and orange juice on shaved ice)
- lamb merguez sausages
- smoked roast (lamb? pork loin? pork belly? beef?) with some sweet sauce
- bone marrow ice cream on blood brownies

Questions:
Should I go with a salad instead of a fruit plate?
What vegetable side would go with the lamb sausage?
Is there a particular beef cut that would fit inside a cake dome and lends well to being smoked?
What side would go well with a smoked roast?

I am seriously disappointed that I have to be the first to suggest you prepare ortolan.

I don't think it's banned in the U.S. at least!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cook them in a Dutch oven. The single pot I would take to a desert island.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FetusSlapper posted:

It probably isn't new, but rolled ice cream(appears to be a milk/cream smoothie made with custom ingredients played out on a slab of some kind of super chilled metal(like an anti-griddle)) seems to be in vogue. What is the history of this, besides somebody taking the term"shave ice" to an unexpected and welcomed end-point. It reminds me of watching people make fudge on marble table on Mackinaw Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybb57frsdKk

Are you lucky enough never to have stepped foot in a Cold Stone Creamery?

like it love it GOTTA HAVE IT

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I made that sloppy joe recipe posted a couple pages back, but scaled up for a bit over 2 lbs of ground beef. It turned out really acidic, to the point of irritating my mouth after eating one. Obviously I have plenty left; what's the best way to cut that acidity? Sugar? Honey?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

More ground beef?

Feed it to a dog?

I suppose I could add ground beef and simmer it all some more. Probably easiest/best.

I was going to ask more questions about sloppy joes but then I realized they're loving sloppy joes

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

If you're having a question regarding them, someone will likely have some advice.

You could also try adding like, caramelized onions and cheese into the mix. The suggestion of more meat is probably the best advice, though. You'd ruin the taste of the joe if you tried to cover up a too vinegary flavor with sweetener - those should be flavor accents, not the full flavor itself. Unless you enjoy eating meat ice cream.

More meat and more stock to simmer. I'd maybe pull out the meat and reduce the original liquid down and thicken it a bit before adding the other things back to it. You could always use beer instead of extra stock, to add moisture.

Hm, the recipe I followed didn't call for any liquid other than the ketchup, vinegar, and a bit of mustard. And it turned out so acidic that it both made me gag from the scent and also irritated a giant portion of my gums. I'll try adding another half pound of ground beef and a can of beer and see how it turns out. I figure I can't make it worse than it already is.

God, for someone who considers himself a better cook than most, I'm embarrassed to have hosed up sloppy joes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

What kind of vinegar did you use? Hard to believe that 1 Tablespoon of it would make it that sour...
It's been a while since I made that recipe, but I used Gulden's spicy mustard, I suppose if you used dijon it would be more sour.

Next time google up a different recipe and see if you like it better.

I used apple cider vinegar and some generic hot brown mustard from the store. I wonder if I absentmindedly mismeasured the vinegar or something when I added it.

Oh well, my Mom likes some Rhea Drummond (sp?) recipe quite a bit so I'll give that a try next time I have some leftover ground beef and little to no inspiration.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Is it a bad idea to leave something in the crock pot on low for like, 12-13 hours? I want to start some shredded beef for tomorrow, but will probably want to sleep in sort of late. I haven't had a time in the past where I've had something in there for more than maybe 8 hours so I don't want to gently caress it up, but I imagine it shouldn't be a big deal?

Edit: Actually this is probably a bad idea isn't it? I'm going to wake up to flavorless mush if I do this aren't I?

If you have an analog crock pot (switch for high/low/off rather than buttons or something) and an outlet timer you could just delay the start.

That said, I doubt your food would be flavorless, but it might be mushy. I've never done a 12 hour crock pot session before.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got some turnips at the farmers market today, and they came with the greens. I know I can cook them, but I've never done it. In fact, I haven't really hard cooked any leafy greens, maybe ever. Anybody have a good recipe or some tips on cooking method? I was thinking maybe a braise with pork shoulder or something would be good, but that's a wild guess. I've never eaten the greens before.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Radish greens are absolutely amazing for saag. Beet greens, chenopodium, whatever you have are a good addition. My favorite saag is sarson ka saag, but you can go a lot of ways with it. I'd use some spinach and kale if you don't want to seek out special greens and don't have any. Radish greens on their own can be a little plain, though they have an excellent texture and taste.

Sweet, I'll ask my Indian friend (:goonsay:) if he knows how to make saag and has a recipe. Else I'm sure I can find something online. I'll check the wiki.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

Anyone have a bomb-rear end recipe or tips for homemade tomato soup/grilled cheese? I've never done a non-Campbell's soup and lovely Kraft singles variant but was looking to branch out.

When I was in college I used to make grilled cheese with Kraft, but I would add deli salami or roast beef and make it with rye bread. True, this may now technically be called a melt, but it's drat tasty and easy. Now I would make it with shredded cheddar or pepper jack or whatever you like instead of the Kraft, but the important point is to try different breads and/or meat fillings.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

I have three two pounds chunks of pork loin, what's the best way to use some of that?

Bulgagi.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

General Venereal posted:

Most no-bake cheesecake recipes call for lime or lemon to be added to the cream cheese. What exactly does the citrusy element contribute, and is there any good substitute if making a citrus-free cheesecake? Thanks in advance!

Don't avoid it. Also put orange zest in your graham cracker crust.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Here's an article where both an emeritus professor of chemistry and a professional toxicologist agree that heating non-stick pans to 500F can contaminate food with toxic chemicals :

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cooking-tools/cookware-reviews/a17426/nonstick-cookware-safety-facts/

Apparently if you somehow manage to get the pans to 660F, then they'll give off poison gas too! Still, it looks like the amount released will rarely be enough to actually do you any real harm.

In my personal experience, the main issue with getting them too hot is that they wear out faster. I definitely get my pans too hot, since I only have non-stick ones, and the surface starts to crack and lose effectiveness after a year or two. I really need to get a good quality, general purpose frying pan which I can get too hot, but they're not available in local stores round here and I'm not sure what to look for online.

A cast iron pan and an enameled cast iron Dutch oven. Congrats, now you don't have to use broken non-stick stuff now. Just make sure you season the cast iron.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Does Canary make a good substitute for Ortalan?

You probably won't taste the difference so long as your veil shields your eyes from your meal.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

Roasting a chicken tonight and cannot find my drat meat thermometer. How long should I roast a 6.5 pound chicken, or should I do something else tonight and just buy a new thermometer tomorrow

I cooked a chicken of nearly identical size about 45 minutes on each side, breast and back, over a roasting pan full of veggies with a tarragon/thyme butter mashed under the breasts, and spread over the back at flipping time. 450 F oven. You may want to overshoot that a bit just to be safe.

It's a roast chicken, so it won't necessarily be inedible dry and bad if it's overcooked some. You can and should make a pan sauce or gravy with the drippings to mask any overcooking. I was lazy and added about 3 oz of box white wine along with cutting board drippings from the rest period and about half a container of boxed broth, and thickened with some onions I caramelized then blended till slightly chunky and Wondra (told you I was being lazy).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I would not roast pork to 130ish unless you really, really, really like the texture of raw pork AND you're getting the pork from a trusted source.

A few years back the USDA revised the suggested internal temp for pork from something like 165 or 170 F down to 145 or so. The bacteria that caused the higher temp requirement has apparently been eradicated in the US pig population. That said, agreed that 130F sounds pretty low to me, and you don't really need to worry about cooking pulled pork to a certain doneness. If you're doing it properly, a hell of a long time in some fatty liquid at low temp will cook the meat through, and you'll know it's done by tenderness alone.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

Hurr. No, it's a local variety. I had tried a dry one at the winery, but they were out at the time, and later mistakenly grabbed its sweeter cousin.

I like the sabayon/zabaglione idea... solid... but also :effort:

Considering vinegar? Would have to get a mother... has anyone done it?

I've been told that you can actually just leave an uncorked bottle of wine on the counter for 6-9 months, and wild yeast will find its way in and do it's magic. No mother required.

I haven't fact checked this but if anyone can confirm/deny I would be interested.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Why do you need that insert?

So the bottles don't clang together, I imagine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bismuth posted:

It was really odd because it wasnt soot like I expected, it wouldnt rub off on my fingers and was genuinely metallic in luster, but jet black. The smoke was pretty bad but didnt stink and dad kept venting it; the food turned out very good. I'm sure we took a risk eating that chicken but its been a few days and so far no ones got a lacerated intestine yet so we might have made it through ok.

I wasnt sure if I should ask the cooking goons or the chemistry goons, but it was easier to find you guys so I thought I'd give it a chance, thanks!

You basically made some obsidian-like dust, I imagine. Probably generated a lot of tiny glass particles when the piece shattered, which then oxidized heavily at a relatively high temperature, resulting in the blackish powder you see. It's deposited onto the glass chunks but you may also find it on the floor of your oven.

I'm indulging my own conjecture here, so I'm sure chemmy will come by and insult then correct me soon enough.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

I'd like a little guidance here. I am a novice, to sometimes intermediate cook, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish here, but your help in nailing down the details would be much appreciated.

I'd like to take a flatbread, topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet onions, goats cheese, and basil, and a bit of bacon, bake it in an oven, then add arugula, basil, parsley(?).

What do y'all think?

Good plan? Ingredients play well? Eager to hear any suggestions or advice.

Your plan is missing cook it and eat it and then report the results

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

It is currently gas with a few different sized burners. Probably mid 90s model, cheapie looking.

Previously it was a glass top , and before that it was a few coil electrics.

I like the gas arrangement. Though I'm still getting used to it. I've noticed that the sides of the pans heat first as the flame wraps around the bottom.

Whoah, you've got your heat set way too high then. The flame should never lick around the sides of the pot or pan. Maybe consider thinking of "high" as "burners reach edge of pan," medium as middle, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Any tips for removing seeds from whole canned tomatoes? I made tomato soup yesterday, but the seeding of the whole tomatoes was easily half of my active time, which isn't what I want out of soup making.