Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I've been really enjoying "The Purple Stuff Podcast." It's a comedy podcast hosted by Matt from DinosaurDracula.com, and Jay from SexyArmpit.com. It started as a Halloween countdown show, but they decided to keep it going. They focus mostly on nostalgia humor, and so far it's been a delight.

I've been a huge fan of Matt for Dinosaur Dracula, and before that, X-E Entertainment, and his sense of humor translates well to the podcast format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I have been greatly enjoying Hello From the Magic Tavern.

It's an improvised comedy podcast with the premise of human Arnie Niekamp falling through a portal behind a Burger King, and landing in the magical land of Foon. He had his podcasting equipment in his trunk so he records each week with his friends Chunt the Badger (shapeshifter) and Usidore (Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr’akkas. The elves know him as Fi’ang Yalok. The dwarves know him as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. And I am also known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar. And there may be other names of which you do not yet know!)

The show is hilarious and part of the fun is how great the hosts are at building the universe and making call backs. My favorite running joke is when Arnie fell through the portal he left behind his wife and infant daughter, and Chunt regularly hassles him about not being more concerned about getting back to them. I'm 25 episodes in and it just keeps getting stronger.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I've been enjoying Talking Simpsons, it's a Simpsons episode by episode retrospective that is currently in the middle of season two.

The hosts really know their stuff, especially regarding production details I didn't know about like animation and directors, and the podcasts are generously loaded with audio clips from the show. Season 1 is behind a Patreon paywall, but season 2 is free.

It's a very nice background podcast when working or driving, and I appreciate SA's own Bob Mackey's burning hatred of anything past season 8. I don't think it would appeal to non-fans, but for anyone who grew up with the show it is a lot of fun. Especially as they are starting to hit the really good episodes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Could we do a podcast roll call? What are you guys currently listening to? Particularly interested in the lesser known.

Currently on my phone:

Abject Suffering
Hosts Kole and Gary play terrible old games and discuss them. Frequently self-derailed when they don't have much to complain about. Charming and funny, with nice banter and no AVGN screaming. Fantastic background listening in the car.

The Dana Gould Hour
Comedian Dana Gould talks to his friends and presents historical tidbits about Old Hollywood. Probably the best edited and produced comedy podcast.

Hello From the Magic Tavern
Incredible improv podcast in the fantasy world of Foon, check out the thread for more info. My current favorite.

Judge John Hodgman
I'm not a regular listener but it is pretty solid, I have a few episodes backlogged for family friendly listening in the car.

The Purple Stuff Podcast
Creator of X-E and Dinosaur Dracula chats with a friend about nostalgia. Their Halloween episodes were phenomenal.

Retronauts
Chat about old games with experts. Well produced, super knowledgeable, and the hosts are funny with pleasant voices. Insanely huge episode archive, and they bring on great guests like the Maniac Mansion creator.

Serial
It's pretty good this season? I need to catch up.

Talking Simpsons
Comedy podcast going through each episode in order. Highly recommended for fans, with generous episode audio clips.

The Truth
Short radio plays. The first few dozen or so episodes were great, seems to have fallen off a little since then but still good. Excellent variety.

Watch Out for Fireballs
Kole and Gary (also of Abject Suffering) go in depth on games and describe their playthroughs and comments. Really relaxing and funny.

We Hate Movies
Hilarious podcast making fun of bad movies. The hosts are comedy geniuses and I always look forward to new episodes. Great back catalog.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Alvie posted:

Anybody know a decent Call of Cthulhu podcast? I tried searching through the thread and found a few to avoid but there's gotta be at least one decent one out there. I lean towards the goofier shows like Adventure Zone more than a totally dry game session. I tried listening to the first episode of the Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program, but it just seemed a bit dumb. If not Call of Cthulhu, I'd settle for something at least in the Lovecraft ballpark. I'm trying to find a decent podcast to listen to with my friend, who loves CoC but has no other RPG experience.

Role Playing Public Radio has some fantastic CoC episodes, both stand alones and campaigns. I think their best episode was a mini-campaign, "Call of Cthulhu – U-Boote Heraus Part 1 & 2". It's long, at about 11 hours, but was tightly run with a strong story and ending.

Browsing their archive I'd also strongly recommend:
-Lover in the Ice
-Bryson Springs

They also did a campaign on The Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man, which I enjoyed but I wouldn't recommend as an entry episode.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So since Worst Episode Ever sucks dong are there any actually good podcasts about The Simpsons?

Talking Simpsons is fantastic, they are going through each episode in order and are up to season 3. The hosts are super knowledgeable, the episodes are tightly edited, with a generous heaping of audio clips. They aren't gushing fanboys and will criticize episodes when needed, but will also give mega-episodes their due. Season 1 is behind a Patreon donor wall (worth it) but 2 & 3 are free.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

I've been listening to and liking Watch Out for Fireballs and Abject Suffering and liking them a lot when I had a harder time getting into other gaming podcasts. Each episode is focused on a single game and there are just two guys so it isn't nearly as meandering, and neither of them actually work in the games industry so you don't get any self-promotion or back-patting.

Absolutely, Gary and Kole banter is fantastic. Be sure to check out Monster in My Podcast, and DuckFeed Presents has some nice random chatter.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Embedded is cool and good.

Thanks for recommending! This is a great listen.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

There's also Watch Out For Fireballs!, where every episode two guys play through a single game (along with the occasional split ep where they do two games or a primer where they do a sampler for a niche like interactive fiction or game books) and then spend about 90 minutes to two hours discussing it in depth from a modern perspective, with the occasional exception like their annual WRPG/JRPG deep dive where they can spend two or three episodes discussing a single game like Fallout: New Vegas or Final Fantasy VII. I like it a lot and find the hosts enjoyable for the most part, I like Retronauts for the broader historical perspective but I actually prefer Fireballs because of how focused it is and the fact that they actually play through the game in its entirety immediately beforehand instead of just going off of their memories of reviewing a title years or even decades ago like a lot of the professional reviewers on Retronauts are wont to do.

Seconding this recommendation, the WOFF hosts also do a bad games show Abject Suffering (start at episode 5) and the D&D Monster Manual retrospective, Monster in My Podcast (released in bite sized five minute long episodes.)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Ah yes mister "Have I told you I was poor once yet today"

Hahaha I used to contribute articles to Cracked, and that nails Cheese perfectly (I just googled to double check his name, and typing in "Cracked John" suggests "cracked John cheese poor".)

David Wong was an good editor to work with, he kicked some of my article pitches to the approved queue so he is fine folk. Kinda a high school newspaper editor with a larger fiefdom. I think attempting to moderate their boards broke his brain a bit, they have a large userbase but no :10bux: screening fee or decent mods so closer to reddit than SA. I still have no clue why John Dies at the End was popular, I only saw the movie.

Regarding Simpsons Podcasts, I've been enjoying Talking Simpsons. Henry Gilbert and Bob Mackey are hilarious and have tons of insider knowledge. Lots of good drops, so far no guests from the show yet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any other good D&D podcasts? I'd prefer a group that's funny. I like Harmontown, and I like Nerd Poker. I've tried Critical Hit, but get bored by the rulebook chats and they're slow to start adventures. I only play 5e, and I know enough about 4e, but I'm honestly down for any other editions, or even roleplaying games outside D&D.

I really enjoy Role Playing Public Radio's set up. They play a huge assortment of games.

One Shot is also good, their episode 92. Legend of Five Rings was one of the best storytelling podcasts I've ever heard. And I went in knowing nothing about Five Rings.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Hilarious World of Depression is an odd duck. The host talks to comedians about mental health issues, but Mental Illness Happy Hour has been doing that for years.

The host is Generic Man and I don't like how he butchers up the interviews and keeps cutting in with solo narration to explain points his guest is making. Just let the interview flow! The interviews jump from the guest making a point to the host talking, and it takes a moment to realize the host cut that in after the interview and the guest isn't in the room.

The highlight is the quality of guests, they've had Andy Richter and Paul F. Tompkins. I suspect the host is less concerned about promoting mental health, and more about raising awareness that he knows comedians. The AV Club loves it for some reason.

I'm guessing this will fade away in a few months after the host runs out of big name guests. A key strength of Mental Illness Happy Hour is Paul Gilmartin having such a diverse slate of guests, regular people like police or social workers are the most fascinating.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Snowy posted:

Is there any particular revolution I should start with on Revolutions?

I'd recommend 3.1, the start of the French Revolution. The English revolution episodes are well made but the events are hard to follow (not the fault of the podcast, was an odd revolution), and the American revolution is good but the French one is outstanding.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

If anyone has any interest in classical music, listen to Classical Classroom. Premise is simple: the host works at a classical music station, but doesn't know anything about it outside of cultural osmosis, so each week she has "experts" (musicians, composers, etc.) come in and they both listen to a famous piece of classical music and talk about the composer, why it's famous, why the person chose that piece for the show, the techniques behind the music, etc. The show's pretty short; the longest episode is around 40 minutes.

Really any episode with a recognizable name is a good one to start, but Episode 4 with Brett Mitchell goes over John Williams' Star Wars score and explains the ins-and-outs of why it's lasted the test of time and how it uses leitmotifs to fuel the story in ways most people don't notice.

Thanks for recommending this! It is an excellent show, four episodes in and I'm learning a ton.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lowtax launched a podcast. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but his Gaming Garbage is funny.

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/883820530377338881

Link to SoundCloud: https://m.soundcloud.com/murder-the-internet/ep-001-how-to-make-a-podcast

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mrfart posted:

Doesn't work in overcast. I'll listen to it on SoundCloud if I don't forget (probably will)

I listened today, it was funny stuff. If you like Lowtax on YouTube or from the front page it might be up your alley. If they put out more episodes I'll continue to listen, hopefully on iTunes for easier downloading.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

Lowtax's Murder the Internet is addable on PocketCasts now. Looks like he's putting out an ep every other day.

Don't burn yourself out now!

Episode 1 wasn't great, but since then they have been on fire. I think the religion episode was the best so far.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’ve been enjoying Canceled Too Soon. Two TV critics take a light hearted but well researched look at TV that lasted one season or less, then decide if it were cancelled too soon.

I went in expecting them to tear apart bad concept 80s pilots like Cop Rock, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised that they take the concept seriously and give tons of background on each show’s creation, era, and production crew and actors. They don’t take low hanging fruit and call it stupid for an hour, they really discuss episodes and give well considered opinions, and don’t come off as snobbish, meme yelling, or try to offer indefensible weird ideas.

I was surprised to hear their opinion that Police Squad! wasn’t cancelled too soon, as they explained how they thought the concept was fantastic for the six episodes we got but would have been impossible to sustain. Or that Adam West’s Lookwell, while an interesting relic, didn’t have good foundations and wasn’t too funny. I don’t agree with them all the time but they argue in good faith.

So far my favorite episodes have been on Bucky O’Hare and Police Squad!, and Mann vs Machine is good too. I especially like when they pitch ideas about how shows could have been saved. Highly recommended!

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 7, 2017

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

To save anyone worry, if you can't find it, it's because Canceled only has one L in the podcast title.

Whoops, good catch.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Can anyone recommend a good/funny actual play podcast?

Role Playing Public Radio is a good listen.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

HIJK posted:

a summary of every play podcast ever: *action and talk is interrupted by 5 minute stretches of fwipfwipfwipfwipfwipfwip as the GM looks something up in the book and the players start messing with their phones to distract themselves*

I was listening to an actual play podcast with iffy audio levels so I turned the sound up. They were going through a horror campaign and the scariest part was a dog barking into the microphone at deafening volume

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

I found a new podcast I've really been enjoying. https://darknetdiaries.com Every episode is a different story about computer security/hacks/leaks/pen testing, etc. I found it to be a lot like the stories in Kevin Mitnick's books. I'm not super computer savvy myself, so this might be quite basic for those in the know, but it's approachable for the regular Joe. I find the show quite entertaining and informative. The host just recently quit his day job to pursue this full time. I'm guessing he could use more listeners, so why not check it out?

Sounds like a good listen, downloading now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

I've been listening to the Gimlet Podcast We came to win which just picks a cool story about a country/story/person in previous world cup. Subjects like:
-Englands 1990 campaign after the the Liverpool FA Deaths
-Diego Maradonna/Hand of God
-First all black team in World Cup (Congo/Zaire in'74)

That sounds excellent, downloading now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Are there any podcasts that focus on pointing out the insane illegal/unethical poo poo in romcoms/Hallmark movies/etc like how shows like Breaking Mayberry break down Andy Griffith? There has to be one right? Everyone knows how nuts they are, someone had to make a podcast for it.

We Hate Movies has done some Lifetime films that made for hilarious discussion. Episode 74: Invisible Child and Episode 216: Cyberseduction: His Secret Life.

Weird Sandwich posted:

The guys from duckfeed.tv did an album by album podcast about REM:

http://www.fileunderwater.net/about

I haven't actually listened to it yet but the rest of their shows on the network are pretty good so its worth giving a shot.

I gave it a listen and can highly recommend. Gary and Kole do an excellent job going through the band’s history. I went in knowing nothing about REM and got good info about where to start listening.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Does I Don’t Even Own A Television ever get better than just..mildly interesting? Most of the episodes I’ve listened to have just been directionless rambling about random parts of the book broken up by unnecessary “breaks” and forced segments who seem to exist solely so the host can make a new jingle.

Granted, these are episodes from the beginning , so maybe the show finds its groove, but if this is the way it’s going to be I’d rather tap out now.

(Yes I’ve heard the RPO and Armada episodes)

That’s pretty much my takeaway too. They put in a lot of work but it’s not really the kind of show where you need to listen to every episode. Some books like RPO or Armada work great, but other times they pick books that are bad but not for interesting reasons. I dropped out at “Condominium” as it was an hour of pretty much nothing. I think the time commitment in reading a book is enough that it’s harder for them to scrap a book than it would be for a bad movie podcast to skip over a film.

I need to go back and listen to some more, “Cybernarc” looks fun.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’ve used Downcast for years but the regular crashes when plugged into car audio are annoying. What are recommendations for iOS podcast apps?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

101 posted:

I went from Instacast > Downcast > Overcast and haven't looked back since Overcast launched

Thanks! This does look a lot smoother, and I like the option to skip silences.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Holy cow, I've been out of the loop on Earwolf and didn't know Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project was back with a new season!

The first season is only eight episodes but is in the running for funniest all time podcasts, especially episode 4: The Travel Buy with August Lindt. They put the first season behind the Earwolf paywall so it was harder to recommend, but looks like they are all free again, with six brand new episodes in season two so far.

I thought this show would be a one time only mega-project, so glad it is back. Now we just need a new season of Mystery Show and all will be right in the world.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Thanks to whoever recommended Darknet Diaries here a while ago. That has become one of my favorites, especially the IRS episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

What’s a good starter episode?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

life is a joke posted:

Listened to the first 4 episodes of Running from Cops. Very glad to know that America's Largest Street Gang™ has normalized their bullying by curating and editing a wildly popular TV show for three decades, very normal country.

I had never heard of :siren:Live PD:siren: until today's episode, not even in passing in any way, he was very on the nose in saying that you either know it or you don't. Feel like I would have caught a glimpse of it considering ther 2 million bootlickers who watch it every week but don't feel like Id like it much anyway lol.

Sorry of this is TMI about my own non-pod opinions for this thread, but if you feel ways about cops (as a profession or as a show) you should check it out! Good rec thanks.

Yeah its a good listen. I used to live in Spokane, so when they mentioned they went there when they needed more white suspects it made sense.

A toxic coworker mentioned loving a show that was described as “live footage of police arresting people with no narrative,” so now I know what they were talking about. If they broadcast executions viewership would be easy seven figures and the staff would be celebrities.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any other podcasts like Mystery Show that are actually decent? Short, engaging, slice-of-life human interest piece sort of stuff. I just tried Heavyweight and it almost feels like a parody of Mystery Show. Could've just been the handful of episodes I listened to that might not be indicative of the general quality of the show, but it was self-important, unnecessarily ponderous, and ultimately unsatisfying in its conclusions.

Dang I was gonna recommend Heavyweight but sounds like wasn’t a good fit. Guess it comes down to if you like the host or not, I find him charming but yeah he can be a bit much sometimes. Episode #16 where he tries to learn if Rob Corddry broke his arm as a child is fascinating.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

sweet_jones posted:

I tend to just follow the same podcasts; how do people find out about series like these?

A good source is the Av Club posts Podmass each Monday highlighting 10 or so podcasts. Usually at least one has appeal, it’s how I discovered We Hate Movies and more recently Running from Cops. Plus their archive goes back a decade or so with tons of good stuff.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DrGonzo90 posted:

I recommend the Ologies podcast, I think most people in this thread would enjoy it. The host interviews a different scientist/researcher every week, and she's really great at finding people who can talk about their subject in an interesting way. It's also frequently hilarious

The second episode, primatology, is one of the best single podcast episodes I've ever heard so check that out to get a sense of whether you'll like the show.

That sounds excellent, downloading now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

life is a joke posted:

A while ago, I think people in here were talking about Missing Richard Simmons, It was really popular but there were reservations about the host butting into Simmons' private life. I might be combining a few conversations about it into this thread, but I know it was mentioned. Even though Im behind the times does someone wanna fill me in on the general opinion?

Consensus seemed to be that the host was being weirdly invasive into the life of a stranger who hadn’t done anything wrong and just decided to leave the public spotlight for his own reasons, and he doesn’t have to explain himself to the host.

I didn’t listen but sounds like the host thought he was going to be breaking a big story about Simmons, gradually realized that Simmons just wanted to be left alone, and the host released it anyway to get attention.

quote:

Richard Simmons, by his own account, and by the accounts of his brother, his manager, his publicist, and officers in the Los Angeles Police Department, is fine. The former home-fitness guru and television personality is not being held hostage by his housekeeper, nor is he suffering from debilitating depressive episodes. But he does want to be left alone, to live quietly and privately, out of the public eye.

quote:

Taberski, a producer who previously worked on The Daily Show, doesn’t seem to think of himself as a journalist, but he undertook journalistic work in investigating why Simmons might have decided to recede from public life, interviewing family, friends, and hardcore fans over the course of several months. He ambushed Simmons’s brother at his home in New Orleans. He showed up uninvited at Simmons’s own house, asking to see him, and was turned away. (“I’m creepy. I’m a creepy friend,” he confessed during the stunt.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/03/the-ethical-minefield-of-missing-richard-simmons/520407/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Splicer posted:

Aliens and JFK but I'm flexible. Oh No, Ross and Carrie! Isn't what I was looking for but I am enjoying it. Like, I'd love to hear someone explain flat earth theory like you'd hear someone describing the Norse cosmology.

I got to meet Ross and Carrie and can confirm they are super nice and that Ross looks like David Duchovny, but in a good way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Judge John Hodgman is a mainstay when commuting with family, and while it does sometimes have strong episodes (anything with Alton Brown, or when the case mutates to reveal one of the litigants is a horrible person), it’s generally a mid-tier show.

They’ve had recent episodes that seem like Hodgman is doing a parody of a middle aged insecure liberal trying to retain a younger audience. When the subject was a husband who BBQs too much, they put a trigger warning on the episode because it regards meat?! I can understand trigger warnings for American Life episodes about horrible crimes, but this was absurd.

Also had a weird moment when he referenced a quote by Anthony Bourdain about Tin Tin, then brought the show to a halt to apologize for the racism in Tin Tin, then apologized for mentioning Anthony Bourdain so soon. When he and his bailiff went on a rant to support this new idea of “tipping” for 15 drat minutes I was thinking “you’d pick up a probation for that on the forums.”

Anyway, I’ve pushed to start listening to then Adventure Zone instead and it’s much better.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 8, 2019

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I want to throttle 95% of the people in this week's This American Life.

:same:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Judge John Hodgman is in rotation in my carpool, but surely it can’t get worse than his non-stop shilling of his new book, right?

And here’s special guest Paula Poundstone to perform a rap she wrote about how they changed ingredients in Butterfingers.

:shepicide:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’ve seen Criminal live and that was a lot of fun. The McElroys were also fantastic, as were Ross and Carrie. But yeah agreed that listening to a live show isn’t much fun. One Dollop had soft whisper hosts and deafening Patton Oswalt.

One exception is LeVar Burton Reads, the live shows are fine and sometimes have musical accompaniment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Given the people's annoyance at one of the hosts of Reply All, how do you feel about Heavyweight's host? I like the stories fine but the intros and the points in the story when he interjects himself into the narrative bothers me a bit.

I like Heavyweight, it’s like pretty good Mystery Show but with a more sustainable concept. Episode #16 Rob is a delight, and #22 about Russian Ark is fun too.