Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Low brow cocktail question for the group - if I make negronis and boulevardiers with stuff like tanqueray and bulleit rye, is it really a huge step up shelling out for luxardo cherries instead of just the grocery store Maraschinos?

When I'm making home cocktails my main goal is simplicity so even though I have a mixing glass and a shaker I usually just pour poo poo into a glass with a big cube and stir it around then drink it...

I usually bring out the fancier stuff when hosting, which, over the course of the pandemic, happens a lot less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Thanks for the recs on some alternatives too - I've had luxardos in cocktails at bars and also use orange peel in my home negronis, but haven't decided to take the dive with fancier cherries. I'll give some mid-tier luxardalikes a shot to match with the mid tier liquors.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I found the lime to be a little better than the lemon for my tastes, and if you don't need the peel for something it definitely requires fewer visits to the grocer.

I'm not sold on the eco impact though, since you're buying chemicals that almost certainly have some nontrivial impact in extraction / processing. Less food waste, more industrial waste.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Got some toschi amerena cherries to accompany the negroni/boulevardier/manhattan making.

Trip report coming soon

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Tasty cocktail, the cherries added a nice finish to the drink that wasn't as apparent when it was more full, but I definitely got a bit of a halls cough drop vibe when biting into them on their own.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Wouldn't some simple syrup probably be a suitable rim prep rather than lime juice in this case?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Dunno if this is just local or wider but my Costco has a 32oz jar of fabbri amerena cherries for $15.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Buy some umeshu and mix those together

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Fly Eagles fly:

0.5 oz D-cell battery acid
7.5 oz yuengling
Green food coloring to desired hue

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

I wonder how many freezers are the final tombs of 80% full bottles of those horrible flavored Smirnoffs

A grocery store I used to go to had a whole aisle of them. Root beer. Gummy worms. Pecan pie. Cotton candy. Just endlessly stretching to the horizon

Not many - you forget about high school and college students.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

oh they got wine at your fancy city bar huh?! :v:

We got both kinds, white and white zinfandel

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Strange Matter posted:

QB Cooler soars with OJ too.

OJ was an RB

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Sashimi posted:

I think I'd struggle to tell the difference between a negroni made with M&R versus Dolin, but boy howdy does M&R make for a crappy Manhattan. In my opinion M&R is too sweet to be a good mixer in many drinks.

Honestly I like it in my Manhattan because of the sweetness - I pair it with cheap Jim beam rye and it's a good quaffable liquor-only cocktail.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Buy a decent bottle of umeshu and just add grapefruit juice and soda water if you want some fizz. Dunno what it's called but it's delicious.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Anyone thinking of joining the order just for the booze

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Hmm how do I get gin out of my tv?

As far as household items to get gin from, bathtubs are usually better.

Made a Negroni Bianco the other day with Lillet Blanc, Suze, and Tanqueray. Was pretty tasty, but should probably be a Negroni Giallo.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm a savage who uses Splenda - it dissolves easily enough at desired concentrations to not need a simple syrup of it at all

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

As far as household items to get gin from, bathtubs are usually better.

Made a Negroni Bianco the other day with Lillet Blanc, Suze, and Tanqueray. Was pretty tasty, but should probably be a Negroni Giallo.

Swapped out the gin for redemption rye tonight and I think I like it better. Presentation is a little less appealing though. Since I'm not sure this has an official name I present without further ado the UTI:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If you're not sterilizing the mixture in some way (boiling) you might want to get a yeast starter going first to speed up colonizing. Most fruit has natural yeast and bacteria on them that could yield funky flavors or make it go off if the wine yeast doesn't get a quick foothold.

Looks like that recipe has a boil step - follow it!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You can just bulk it out with orange juice ketchup packets and prunes

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
For those of you dealing with the chartreuse shortage, I have a solution:

https://youtu.be/de_n4Z5uIV0

Only requires a bunch of specialty spices and equipment and establishing a small liqueur making factory in your home bing bang boom so easy

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I've started using grapefruit zest instead of orange as garnish for my negronis and I don't think I'm ever going back.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Found this last week, decent low rent version of fancy dried cocktail orange slices

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
These ones are still fairly squishy and have some oils in them. They're not orange chips

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Splenda dissolves easier and won't be as syrupy - you can make it match the sweetness without even heating it up because of it's ability to dissolve and relative sweetness for amount used though. There's a sweetness conversion out there somewhere but I mostly have packets on a per drink basis since it dissolves so easily (one pack = 1 tsp sugar)

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

prayer group posted:

jesus christ, the post about putting stevia syrup in cocktails back-to-back with the one where Comb Your Beard casually mentions making orgeat with Coca-Cola was a lot to take in all at once

If you enjoy it and it gets you drunk, go for it is my philosophy. I'm not a fan of shaming or gatekeeping because someone doesn't adhere to "the one true way" to make cocktails.

I will absolutely drink the gently caress out of a Wisconsin old fashioned with gusto

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

If you drink anything other than straight glasses of OFTD I don't want to know you.

Well obviously, but if you only drink straight glasses of OFTD I doubt you'll be able to remember anyone's name long enough to know them.

Re my other post I got the impression from your language that you were being derisive of people who put weird poo poo together which in my opinion is the essence of cocktail making. I wasn't trying to tout how cool and accepting I am so much as note that people might not feel welcome if they share a story about their cocktail experiences and get laughed at.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 7, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

The Maestro posted:

Montenegro is almost $15 cheaper also

Pauper Plane - poo poo beaten

I've made some boulevardiers with Averna instead of Campari and they're pretty tasty.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
No effect on flavor but it can get cloudy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Was loving around with leftover stuff in my fridge and bar and find a nice combination - umeshu, gin, and averna with a splash of soda water.

Apparently averna and umeshu with rye is a "Geisha Manhattan"? Although that sounds more like a Japanese Boulevardier, maybe a "Tokyo Drift"?

Alucard fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 19, 2024