Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Lesley Appleby posted:

They're kinda buried on the "blog" section at the Earwolf site, but Scott's How the Bread is Made articles are worth reading.

I'm actually surprised people didn't like the Alan Rickman episode. It definitely wasn't James Adomian's strongest performance, but I remember it made me laugh quite a bit.

BTW, you always have the best avatars, caveman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kings Gold posted:

goes on way too long, there's no humour hits or redeeming aspects, there's a rap section.

Oh, so it's a novelty song. Gotcha.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kings Gold posted:

It's literally "We are the world sung" by LA comics poorly. It was for charity, to sell on itunes.

In that vid Kurt Russell actually says "it's a horrible song done even worse, seriously it's really bad and out of sync." Listening to it in the podcast there is no break from the line that it's in earnest, trying to be funny and touching, and of course it's two of the most deadpan comics featured in the episode, playing it completely straight. Goddamn it Scott Aukerman.

Although that ep is great for the dry humour competition between Nealon and Tig.

I dunno, I heard it once and got a couple of cheap giggles out of it, especially the Neil Hamburger schtick at the end. That's all something like that is good for. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's all I really get out of comedy music, especially since I turned 14 and outgrew buying "Weird" Al records. You could drat sure make a case for Ween or Zappa as far as funny music is concerned, but mostly you're being a bit silly if you're looking for more than a thimble's depth of meaning or artistic merit in the novelty song genre.

All that said, I can't hear "Birthday Sex" without thinking of "Weirder" Scott.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

But I definitely prefer songs that work both as jokes AND as songs. Loudon Wainwright's probably my favorite, although he's like 75% serious and 25% jokey.

Absolutely! A lot of Johnny Cash's American albums are full of funny, off-beat stuff that I love, I already brought up Ween and Frank Zappa, a lot of Weezer's catalog, even their more maudlin stuff, is pretty tongue in cheek. That's all great stuff that I listen to all the time (maybe not so much Zappa...). I'll take any of that over some clown with Garage Band recording "My Girl's Always Fartin' All the Time" or some crappy song about smelly pussies or something. Even a lot of the better stuff is lazy and hacky. I work with a bunch of comedy geniuses who like to sing along to the radio with their own wacky lyrics. It really goddamn grates on me.

I love "Weird" Al, I always listen to his new stuff and usually find it funny, but I'm pretty okay with just hearing it the one time and moving on. And hell, I used to be a Stern listener, and there are a bunch of great songs that have been wrecked for me thanks to their parodies. I mean that in a good way.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I haven't heard the new CBB, but the episode with Tom Scharpling, Weird Al & Garry Marshall is one of my favorites. The Herzog one was a bit of a let down, but it still wasn't bad. It just didn't really feel like he cut loose at all.

The only one of his characters that I just plain didn't care for was Mr. Brainwash, but even that wasn't without its charm.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jack Bandit posted:

As depressing as most of that story is I loved the part about them moving out and how they managed to get the guy out of the house.

It would be an extremely depressing story coming from most people, but he tells it in such an amazing way. His WTF is one of my favorite podcast things ever.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Nemo posted:

They clearly recorded this episode weeks ago right after the two-part countdown, and I love how punchy they get by the end of it.

It may not be a fantastic Werner Herzog impression, but I could still listen to PFT mumble for hours :allears:

Herzog is probably my least favorite PFT character outside of Mr. Brainwash, but it feels like the dude is incapable of being not funny. Any time Andy Richter and Paul are on the show together it's bound to be good.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Goose Halo posted:

I really enjoyed the sincere Nick Offerman interview.

He's an interesting guy. I love how schticky CBB is, but it's good to hear something relatively earnest every now and again.

Wasn't James Adomian's best appearance though. I usually really enjoy his Paul Giamatti impression, but I thought he was a little flat this time.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

I love everything Andy Daly does, I could listen to that guy read the phonebook.

I just bought "9 Sweaters" from iTunes. I'm only 5 tracks in, and it's fantastic (well, maybe not "Shooter's Bon Voyage Set", but I've never been a fan of the character). The last few minutes of "A Star is Born!" had me laughing so hard I almost vomited.

I almost watched Yogi Bear because of him and Tom Cavanaugh, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Nemo posted:

The whole point of the Shooter character is that his act is exclusively based around local LA references and he's going on tour a of the country. I don't think you need to get the references to get the character.

I get the bit, it just doesn't resonate with me.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Ice T. doesn't really come up with unfortunately named get rich quick schemes.

I have it on good authority that Ice T really does cause Crib Death.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Fezz posted:

Both of Kyle's characters were funny, the second sounded a bit like Andy Daly.

Enough so that I thought I missed his name when I downloaded it.

Pretty decent episode. Sarah can be hit or miss for me, but thought she and Kyle were fun together. Still can't get into Professor Blastoff, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Co-directed by Adam Scott and the guy who pukes in all the Jackass movies? Sold!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

This is the best way to get into CBB - the Doug Loves Movies where Don Dimelo, Cake Boss, and El Chupacabra competed made me binge on a bunch of Daly/PFT/Kroll episodes.

Do you know what episode number it is? I never really got into DLM, but this sounds amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Trujillo posted:

DLM doesn't have episode numbers and that one is old enough that you have to buy it in a season pack unless you have a link. Here's said link: http://dlm.libsyn.com/webpage/cake-boss-el-chupacabra-and-don-dimelo-guest)

And another one that's relevant. PFT vs. Garry Marshall vs. Sir Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber: http://dlm.libsyn.com/paul-f-tompkins-garry-marshall-and-lord-andrew-lloyd-webber-guest

Can't wait. Thanks!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I have a friend at work who does the "MY WIFE" schtick and he's never heard a podcast in his life. It's kinda weird.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Holy poo poo Marc Evan Jackson is bald? Did not expect that.

He's not bald. He doesn't have the most hearty hairline you'll ever see, but he's not bald.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Unmerciful posted:

Maybe it's just me but for me, Todd Glass is terribly unfunny

Based solely on his CBB/UTU2TM appearances

His stand-up special on Netflix is a weird mix of boring, meandering bits and bouts of uproarious laughter. This is how I feel about just about everything the guy's done. Just about when I start to get a bit bored with him, he pulls out something that really cracks me up.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I don't think any hatred of death metal could possibly be irrational.

I still think Amon Amarth is legitimately decent, and I dig Red Fang, though I'd say both bands are on the "softer" edge of death metal, if either even qualify. Beyond that, the whole death metal thing is only slightly less embarrassing than bronies or furries or whatever.

To echo what a couple of people have already said, Metalacolypse is pretty goddamn funny, but don't hold it up for comparison against Home Movies because that show was just brilliant. It's worth watching a few episodes on Netflix, if nothing else.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The episodes of Nathan For You that Comedy Central used to run on their website were abridged to about 12 minutes. Are they still running edited episodes, or are they finally running them uncut? The ending of the private investigator episode was hysterical, and it put a really fun, unexpected capper on the whole season, and it was completely cut out.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A bunch of Nathan Fielder's clips from "the Canadian Daily Show" This Hour Has 22 Minutes are up on YouTube.

Joking Around in the Work Place:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HeppiPzWX38

Buying an MP3 Player:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5rw-43W4Plg

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm doing a cross-country trip with my big sis in a couple months (New York to Oregon). If I had to pick a must-hear CDR/CBB episode to break her in with, what do you reckon it would be? I kinda think the first Time Bobby episode, maybe?

As much as I love Daly and Adomian, I think peak PFT is the way to go.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I used to love Weird Al, just like I loved Mad Magazine or Ace Ventura, but you kind of outgrow that stuff at some point, at least in my opinion. I still appreciate that sort of thing, I'm glad it exists, but I don't get excited for it outside some sense of nostalgia.

I think most people who aren't 11 year old boys who still talk about how great he is are focusing on how extraordinarily nice and decent he seems to be. I don't know that I've ever heard a negative thing about the guy, outside of him being corny and outdated.

I like him on CBB because he always seems to be having a lot of fun, and it's nice to hear stuff that's not edgy or cynical from time to time.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

If you don't like PFT maybe check out some other acts represented by Entertainment 4 Every 1, like Choo Choo the Hurkey-Jerky Dancer

You show up for Choo Choo, but you stay for Peanut Butter the Dressed-Up Dog.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

My daughter loves Tiny & Victor, but she'd never heard the original appearance. I forgot how much the phrase "farting fuckfaces" was used in that episode, not that she didn't find that absolutely delightful.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

THis episode is hard for me. The intro had me really emotional, Scott's eulogy felt really raw and not like him at all. I love Harris and Adam but I have always found Chelsea Peretti to be unbearably unfunny so listening to this episode is just not very entertaining and I so dearly want it to be. :( Harris is killing it though, as usual.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm actually a fan of all three, but for some reason F&P always left me a little cold. But whatever, it's a little more Harris than we would've gotten otherwise, and I can't be mad about his final appearance being something most of the fans love.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Scott has a pretty straightforward, interesting interview with Nick Offerman. It was a pretty refreshing change of pace at the time, and I really enjoyed it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

LOl i got Naturebox, birchbox and Harry's. I feel demographic-ed. I wanna be stereotyped, I wanna be classified.

Wrong Aukerman.

The Harry's razors are good. Never got anything else from a podcast ad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I distinctly remember the phrase "9/11 runoff pussy". It was the very first episode I ever heard, back when there was one podcast thread in GBS.