Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anotherone posted:

Hey speaking of Benny Schwaz apparently he and Bill Hader voiced BB-8 in the new Star Wars.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/wait-a-minute-who-played-the-voice-of-bb-8-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens

I hope Paul F. was at least asked to read for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvyCWLnoKg

Ben Schwartz is friendly with JJ Abrams, probably met on Undercovers, so it's not surprising he's getting a "role" in the new star wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

see: that one time they tried something other than Suicide House and the forums went berserk and now it's Suicide House until the end of time

I think the problem is not enough ghost boy raps

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

cams posted:

i feel like it has come up before.

Yeah, I think it started on the episode with Jason Mantzoukas during an ad for howl or something.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I would also accept Daly just flouting improv rules and shutting down attempts at that direction in the future. "No, But" anything related to murder cults.

He did do that this time, they kept leading him down the suicide path and he kept "No But"-ing them.

I love Andy Daly and I love where Jason leads his characters, it's always funny to me. I'm sure it will get boring at some point, but so far Andy is still one of my favorite guests, in large part because of the crazy satanist/murder/suicide stuff.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I stopped listening when Daniel Kinno stopped being the co-host, Todd is just a bit too much sometimes and it gets uncomfortable for me. I love the guy but he really has some control issues. Restarting a bit when everyone is tense is no fun. It was one of my favorites too early on.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Boston tickets were $47 with fees. I better get a drat timekeeper appearance

I expect the very same in Seattle!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1U1Yy-1C0

Listen to this and cry a bunch today I guess. :(

The ending of this always makes me cry, gently caress man.

Shnooks posted:

Wow the beat boxing was pretty seamless.

I really enjoyed that part, it went from silly show tunes to legit music for a bit, I was really impressed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Scott really loves doing that kind of bigger storyline thing (like that whole good vs evil golly thing they did) but yeah I'm not really into it

I did enjoy it, but I'm ok if they don't keep doing it. The Wompler stuff is really the only ongoing character stuff that I'm a bit burned out on.

I really loved Betsy Sodaro though, she was great this episode, I wish they had focused more on her during the episode.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

turtleface posted:

It was corny as hell but the one woman being consistently out of sync with the rest of the group killed me every time.

That's Betsy Sodaro, she's a gem. She's great on i4h and has done a couple High and Mighty eps.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

HH has become so popular in this thread that we're now experiencing the classic SA popularity backlash??

I found them unfunny since they were doing their other crappy show, but maybe I'm just being a comedy hipster. I disliked them before it was cool to dislike them.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

isn't the answer to this usually to put episodes and not shows behind a paywall? MaxFun has a bunch of bonus content behind a paywall, and sites like Giant Bomb will have premium streams and VODs and podcasts that build on their basic podcast. Like if you just put all of CBB's Thursday shows and live shows behind a paywall I feel like you'd have a ton of people signing up

Doesn't MaxFun also hold donation drives? It's very NPR style, they probably aren't making (or hoping to make) what ear wolf is.

I think having an option for people like me who hate ads and want a way to donate while also receiving bonuses is great. Also they should really advertise and put more focus on all the included comedy albums and other content. My only problem right now is the lack of fully ad free content, they should also do stuff like other subscription services do (marvel unlimited etc.) and send out a little package of goodies about once a year. Also I dislike the app, they need to add a queue and other useful features, they should partner with a company like beyond pod.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Also legit cracked up at Matt Gourley's surprised "oh I love you too"
How is that show? The clip they played at the end of the last CBB sounded pretty...bad. I couldn't actualy hear what they were saying over all the sound effects...

It's good if you're a fan of Jemaine Clement, I think he's great and so far the podcast is great. It's a radio play, so it's kind of hard to passively listen. Each episode is quite short though so it's not bad during a commute or something when you can just listen.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm at the Seattle show right now, been listening on howl since the start of the tour. I'm expecting them to barely move on stage.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mike Hanford introduced a new character, he was the best. They all seemed energized, Scott didn't even complain about not having anything to talk about. I'm sure the 11 year old in the front row helped.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I thought it was a great show. Hilarious all around. Was Lauren's character new, as well?

Yeah, I think so, but I think she's done a similar character before so it was a little confusing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Billy the Mountain posted:

Hard time getting into it. Don't know why. Gonna try again next week.

Have you listened to all the live episodes?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Scott's relationship with Todd was funny to begin with but even funnier after Kulap's social media posts today: Scott in a custom Uncle Scott shirt going on Disneyland rides with their rambunctious 5 year old nephew.

5? I thought he was middle school...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

How is the episode otherwise? I mean, it's cool that Bruun is a fan of CBB and all. But he wasn't much of a presence on his previous episodes, and even if he was I don't really need 3 episodes in a year with him.

JethroMcB posted:

I love Scott's completely arbitrary contempt for Murdoch Mysteries. "So, watch that, it's called Matlock..." "This is a kids' show? This is for dumbshits and kids."

I enjoyed the episode, it felt very much like a Scott and Mantzoukas episodes but with Scott playing the Mantzoukas part.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I've always enjoyed Dana Carvey, and even in Master of Disguise he has his moments (very few, but his Quint impression is great). The thing is I've always felt like he's another Robin Williams in his comedy style, which made his comment that he always tried to be like him not surprise me at all. He can have some really hilarious jokes and impressions, but the problem is that's about 20% of what he comes up with, and we still have to hear the other 80.

His Jay Leno fly fishing just killed me though. Everyone does the cliche Jay impression, but he adds enough to make it great. Could have done with much less "kids today" stuff though.

Still an awesome episode, Gemberling is always great, and Tarver definitely is finding his groove as a regular guest.

Master of disguise was probably the first movie I watched where I realized that movies could be bad. I used to enjoy everything, but this movie essentially taught me that people that you like can do things that are not good.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So it's like Howl for TV shows?

Yes, but you can subscribe to seeso through amazon video thus bypassing the poo poo interface and performance unlike howl.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

It was actually the Icona Pop special

I don't care

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It seems to me like the George and Gil characters have gotten a little stale. At least that is my impression of the latest stuff I've seen and heard of them. Back when they first appeared on CBB and the Kroll Show they were a lot funnier and had better patter.

I wasn't a fan of those characters to begin with, I never understood what was so great about them, even on Kroll Show they felt pretty directionless and boring. I think they just like playing those characters, which is fine, just not my cup of tea I suppose. I agree, the penultimate character for Kroll is the 9/11 firefighter run off pussy guy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This. There's a context to them that I feel some people are missing, so it's understandable not everybody finds them amusing. I think you need to have experienced one in real life to really get it.

I'm hispanic and grew up in Arizona, so my favorite character is Chupacabra

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I would say Ronna & Beverly are much more grounded. I'm Jewish and know quite a few women who are exactly like Ronna & Beverly, I can't say that for Gil & George.

Ronna & Beverly are racist, while Gil & George will casually mention that they participated in the Khmer Rouge ethnic cleansing while on a sex tourist vacation.

If it makes you feel any better I don't like Ronna & Beverly either

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

Saying racist things as a character that's basically a real person isn't that funny and is in fact, kind of racist, in my opinion. Saying racist things as a talking burger that loves to gently caress is, at least, clearly not to be confused with a real opinion.

Yo, is this racist?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Slightly broad question for the thread, how are all of the things that our well-liked improvvers have been plugging on all the podcasts lately?

I take it the reality show Seeso thing wasn't super good?
And I like Cameron Espositio quite a lot, so I've been meaning to check out her sitcom, but I haven't heard any buzz, good or bad...
And then there's that Mike Birbiglia movie ABOUT improvvers?
I think that's definitely just his actual personality.

I'm not really a fan of the whole make fun of reality shows by doing a reality show thing. There's a fine line between satire and just doing the thing that's annoying and not funny, I probably have a much lower threshold for that kind of thing than comedians though. Lots of the comedians on the show have talked on podcasts about how they watch the real shows they're parodying.

I enjoy Cameron and Rhea as guests on podcasts, but I'm not really a fan of their comedy. I feel like Take my wife is a show about two insecure people trying to make it in comedy, which I'm sure is how a lot of comedians feel. But it just makes me annoyed, I keep thinking "just ignore social media/strangers/etc. and do what makes you happy". I'll watch/listen to them on harmontown or CBB any time though.

Haven't seen the Birbiglia thing, but if it's anything like sleepwalk with me I'm probably going to pass. I love him on orange is the new black though, and his story is interesting, he just seems depressed and that makes me feel sad.

To be fair to all these things, I only watched the first couple eps, so maybe that was just how it starts and goes in a different direction, but I doubt it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I was ready to hate it like I hated her unfunny appearance on Broad City, but it had me laughing out loud more than once. I love these.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I like McKenna's Pyow-pyow-pyower Wheels character, but I think maybe she leans on the reference a little hard. Repetition won't help anybody else get it, as there are no other 90's Kids™ in the room.

Also her on-the-spot rapping was really good, put her up against Neil Campbell and Amy Pohler and we might have a new GOAT.

I legitimately want her to record an album so that I can buy it. (maybe work with a writer and producer too)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

whydirt posted:

Didn't Chris Hardwick sub in once or twice?

Yep, one of the first podcasted episodes.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/special-nerdist-edition/

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well, color me surprised that fans of Comedy Bang Bang do not 100% overlap with fans of Hamilton (which is universally loved by just about everyone on CBB), but it is a strange and confusing world to me in general.

Performers vs audience

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Sharparoni posted:

Disney is producing a new DuckTales show with Bobby Moynihan, Ben Schwartz, Danny Pudi, and Kate Micucci, but not Joe Wengert

Don't forget David Tennant as... Scrooge McDuck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZek9PFMYOw

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

el_caballo posted:

Hey what is the go-to podcast app on iOS these days? I've used Downcast for years but it's getting really buggy and the latest version seems like it's about 6 months overdue. I know Overcast is free with a $10(!) subscription but I'm not sure what that adds exactly and there's Pocket Casts, which I've never used. Overcast claims low-battery usage cuz their server handles the RSS refreshing but maybe that's a Premium feature, not sure if Pocket Casts has the central server thing.

I don't do any of that bullshit like listen at double speed because I'm not a monster. Podcast app reviews seem to think that is the ultimate killer feature. Also Downcast has no way to make a custom playlist which is crazy and something I get pissed about when I spend 9 hours working on my car with my hands covered in poisonous chemicals. So custom playlists would be great.

It will be a huge loving hassle to switch apps so I'd like to just do it once by obeying the Earwolf thread hive mind.

I started using Pocket Casts a couple months ago, simple interface and syncs between devices, I dig it so far.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Conrad_Birdie posted:

came here to post this! this little story gave a big ol' smile on the subway, it is the most harris thing possible.

What happened?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

What's the deal with Scott pushing caution on jokes more lately? He told Gino not to say bitch because "the optics were bad" on the show. What the hell does that mean?

I'm pretty sure it's a bit, every time Gino is on he starts going into a sexist or racist rant and Scott reacts that way.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm not even sure what the joke would be if Gino said racist or sexist poo poo and everyone just agreed and moved on...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Why isn't there an Earwolf comic book podcast?

Everyone doing podcasts works and lives in LA so they think everyone loves reality TV.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This ep was amazing, so much good stuff, I just love Tim Baltz "Yes, and he had brown shoes"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Same. It affected me pretty deeply, probably because I write and do art and comedy and he was a shining example of making things work and just trying because just getting people to laugh is good enough.

It was a weird time, since I couldn't really articulate to anyone around me why it affected me so much. Even my one friend who knew about Harris from CBB and liked him was indifferent.

His death really affected me too, I don't really know why other than we're around the same age and he was so involved with so many things I enjoy. I guess I just looked up to him as a great comedy person but also as someone that shared a similar world view as mine. Do what makes you happy and enjoy life, there's no secret, motherfuckers just want to laugh.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

I don't give a crap when dirtbag junkies kill themselves.

Good post, you're so tough and cool, do you have a podcast or newsletter or something? Are you mad that a junkie who died in his thirties was more important than you'll ever be?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Papa John Misty posted:

Counterpoint: Tapas The Mornin To Jah

Whenever I'm shooting heroin like my idol Harris I think about this joke.

I love this clip from analyze phish when Harris got Scott high... "it's good... it's funky"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvmZ6kIT2w

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 30, 2017