Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Can I add some Swiss-German here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

bignose posted:

Does the SVP hate Xhaka & the Shaq?

Nah, they help win us so they're some of the good ones, obviously.
There's the usual "why don't more of them have 'Swiss'* names" and I'd guess the opinion of not having them as neighbors is there as well.
But we're Swiss and if you have much money you'll be accepted if not necessarily liked.

* bonus points for saying that against people with Italian or French names.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

Meine erste Sprache war Walliserdeutsch, ich verstehe alles, was mit Deutsch zu tun hat.

Zählt nur wenn du ausm Lötschental kommst!
Kommentar vom Briger in der RS: ich versteh die nicht...

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

System Metternich posted:

Is this a cantonal or federal issue? Because if it's the former gay people in Appenzell Innerrhoden shouldn't expect to get married before 2090 or so

It's federal. But we have the "eingetragene Partnerschaft" (civil union whatever) since >10 years now and most seem to be happy or ok with it. I don't think I've heard about it as an issue in the last time (then again, I don't meet that many gays so maybe it's hot again ?)

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Congrats to German goons.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

neolib spotted!

but wait, does switzerland not have Erbschaftssteuer right now? because just lol if so

Regulated per canton and by degree of kinship also.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Das darfst du aber nicht aus der Packung nehmen, bevor das nicht bezahlt ist!

Ne, anders rum: wenn du es aus der Packung nimmst musst du es bezahlen.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Ssthalar posted:

I know little about German politics, I just want to know if I, a Dane, should expect Germany to march across the border soon?

Well, the holidays ARE starting soon.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Cingulate posted:

und wie auch immer die Schwester meiner Frau verwandtschaftlich zu mir steht (Cousine???).

Schwägerin?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Congrats to Germany on everyone getting gay married today.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

wayfinder posted:

Don't tag urself though

In trying to find out why they call Schweiz as "Brandrodland"* I found a real treasure:
http://www.dillum.ch/html/schwyzer_name_ursprung_2011.htm WTF?
Saner sources don't seem to have a clue about the etymology though: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Schweiz

*I know that Rütli, our "founding place", comes from roden (older: reuten), but going from that to calling the whole country like this ...

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

pidan posted:

Wikipedia backs this up, look under Schwyz. They source it to Lexikon der Schweizer Ortsnamen" or something, seems legit.

Though the proper name of the country is apparently Die Eidgenossenschaft.

Hmm, interesting, the other (normal) article said it was unknown, English wiki gives 2—3 possibilities and German wiki gives some old Story I can nearly read in the original...

The official name is „Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft“ or „Confoederatio Helvetica“, for those who wondered from where the CH on the cars or the TLD comes.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Cingulate posted:

... my mental image of y'all right now is you are all sitting in front of your keyboards, biting your lips bloody, trying to come up with anything to say about Spargel, lest the topic revert to things that might trigger me to wall-of-words you.

"Asparagus, the penis of vegetables!"

IMPORTANT QUESTION: what's the word for Spargel in Österreich, der Schweiz, im Harz und an der Küste!??! Surely there is some variability here!!!

I apologise for potentially depriving you of further mockery which you would have taken in good fun.

Schweiz: Spargel (ok, Spargl, but ...) though there might be different names in Walliserditsch or Bärndüütsch.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

One of my Mitbewohner set up a bigass oldtimes ceramic pot of Sauerkraut today. It's about knee high and has a lid. You fill it with shredded Weißkohl - he got a terrifying gigantic OG Krautreibe for this off the Internet - and let it gär. It's like 20 litres. Kinda interesting.

I'm eagerly waiting for the incoming report of the explosion if you're doing something wrong

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Smirr posted:

He's not even Swiss, but apparently he's big into border gore. I mean, the Swiss borders are utter trash to begin with

Hey, don't diss our pig

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Wengy posted:

Well no, but if taxes in Germany work anything like they do here (they probably don’t) you can put aside part of your monthly income so as to be gewappnet for these Eventualitäten...? And like you’re not gonna be taxed for more money than you actually make, right? When I got that big Nachzahlung it hurt like gently caress but I did have the money, otherwise I wouldn’t have had to nachzahl.

I mean I’m actually in a really terrible situation income-wise right now (most of you probably make much more than me) but I’m saving big chunks every month regardless because if I don’t I’ll get hosed by taxes as soon as I (hopefully) earn a bit more.

Germans pay their taxes directly each month (i.e. less on the pay check) so theoretically they shouldn't have to pay actually...

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

To be fair, they've learned.

It's only a cross this time, not a crucifix...

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Lets sing a Lied together

Is it Eurovision time already?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Wengy posted:

Wenn ich mir meine Nichten so angucke... Ich würde sagen, ab Bildungsgrad „drei Jahre alt“.

I think you're confusing basta and Pasta

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

A bit without banana

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

He didn't actually do German comedy. He did English comedy which was pretty funny. But he was German.

Speaking of which (or rather the reverse), one of the funniest comedy things I've seen in German is the one Monty Python where they themselves did it in German.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Linking this here too for all the heiss-haver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIRyoh5TClI

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Wengy posted:

I actually hear that food in the army is p good, can’t confirm, am untauglich and a paying member of Gruppe Schweiz ohne Armee

Im not in the verein anymore, but this rather depends on the cook (and if he’s not wearing a schutzweste probably).
The problem was always the Pflichtkonsum, I.e. stuff that has been prepared for the Ernstfall and has to be eaten now cause it’s 10 year date is rolling around. Some of it is ok or even good (Schoggi, Militärguetzli), some can be made ok with a bit of work (John Waynes etc) and some should be verboten by the Kriegswaffengesetz (tbf I think they were phasing out most of that).

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Hey chili thread I need your help.
I also have some chilies planted and I don’t actually know what to do with them (usually I do chili con carne or Thai curries but it’s still a bit too warm for that and I should pluck them soon I think). I also don’t know yet how spicy they are, but they’re called “Drachenfeuer” which probably means they’re really spicy or they had a good propaganda team...
I like eating something hot once in a while, but I don’t really like hot sauce.

E: damnit pic link

Mano fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 23, 2018

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Congratulations, you've got habaneros. Good for hot sauce and in chili, and very spicy indeed. A little of those goes a long way.

Hmm, sounds like maybe I need to bottle some sauce anyway. Or find some other use.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I can totally see how this might happen. Every step by itself makes total sense and looks like a good idea but when it all comes together you get the perfect storm

Just so I can say "hey I knew this guy" when I see some report about someone blowing out their brains... Which steps exactly do you think make total sense? Cause IMO if you're not a Vollpfosten none of the steps make sense?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

ephex posted:

Ich hatte meine 12 Jahre alte Rostlaube gerade in der Werkstatt um sie wahrscheinlich ein letztes Mal TÜV tauglich neu zu machen. Alles gut bis zu dem Zeitpunkt wo die Werkstatt anruft und mir sagt, dass eine Kundin auf dem Gelände in mein Auto gefahren ist und die hintere Stoßstange demoliert hat.
Werkstatt hat mir Bilder geschickt und meinte der Schaden wäre hauptsächlich optisch und man könnte das schon so etwa wieder hindengeln dass es in etwa passt, also nix groß verzogen oder so.
Die Dame hat wohl angegeben, dass sie das gerne "unter der Hand" mit ein paar Hundert Euro regeln würde. Alternative wäre es natürlich der Versicherung zu melden, neue Stoßstange inkl Einbau wären ca 1800€. Ist natürlich die Frage ob die Versicherung überhaupt bereit ist soviel zu bezahlen oder einfach nur den Restwert (evtl sogar nach Abzug eines möglichen VK Preises lol) blecht.

Hat da wer Erfahrungen bzw was würdet ihr machen?

I can’t help directly with how this works in Germany, but I create software for this in Switzerland.

A) 12 years isn’t that old nowadays if was a good car to start with. Value depends on mileage also.
B) if it’s really rusty, get the money from the insurance.
C) if she wants to pay, she can pay the full price or at least certainly more than the repair cost, cause your car has also lost value due to this. Depending how this works in DE, you might now have an Unfallfahrzeug, which drastically reduces the value. There might also be reductions in money paid out if you have a crash later on.
D) what if it’s more damage than the garage guesses? Or something which only happens sometime later?
E) there’s programs to calculate the value of your car; the garage probably has one (not gonna plug our DE partner here). They can probably also give you an estimate how much value it lost due to this.
F) also check online car bourses.

E: also absolutely no idea how exactly TÜV works.
E2: also ask a lawyer , see next post.

Mano fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 4, 2018

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Köln knowledge:
- Rheinterassen are really nice in good weather.
- Hansestube degu menu is super if you’re hungry and got the spare cash.
- Hilton Ice Bar has some nice drinks.
- the Inder near there is also quite good.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

At least they managed to build it so you can actually drive through and not make it a loving Kopfbahnhof

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Gatac posted:

Um meine Meinung zu präzisieren: es mag sicher Hemden mit kurzen Ärmeln geben, die man tragen könnte. Ich tue es nicht, aber würde es anderen Menschen grundsätzlich nicht verdenken. Was mir wirklich gegen den Strich geht ist die Kombo kurzärmeliges "Anzug"-Hemd mit Schlips im Büro. Nichts sieht trauriger aus als der Scheiss, massiver Office Space-Flashback, eben wie kaum gewollt aber dafür auch gar nicht gekonnt. Wenn schon Schlips, dann auch ordentliches langärmliges Hemd und Jacke drüber. Bissl Selbstachtung zeigen, immerhin soll man(n) im Anzug gut aussehen, dafür gibts die Dinger. Und wenn kein Schlips, wieso dann Anzughemd? Dann kannstes auch ganz sein lassen, ne?

Aber was red ich eigentlich, ich war im Sommer schon mit (ungefärbtem) Fischerhemd und Trekkingsandalen im Büro und das hat keinen gekratzt. Denke ich meditiere mal lieber ne Runde über meine eigene sartoriale Intoleranz und chille wenn ich nächstes Mal kurze Ärmel sehe. Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen und so.

gently caress everything about Anzüge and the normativity of them.
- kurze Ärmel gut.
- Krawatte scheisse (i blame Croats for all the evils in th world).
- gently caress Selbstachtung bei Anzug. Most people look like Trump in an Anzug, the only difference is Trump should look better with his custom tailored ones instead of from the Stange.
- if women can use short skirts in the summer, why can’t I use short pants or Ärmel?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

well, Tobacco is unhealthy. (Yes, I know that they seem to not inhale everything like it's done in smaller doses).

Anyone know how many cigarettes that is?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

This mittag I saw a legitimate anti-vaxxer int the wild (ok, in a restaurant in Zurich). Including anecdotal story about how they totally know someone's friend sister husband uncle kid who got whatever after an injection.

And that's my story for today.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I’m spending the WE partying it up with a bunch of 20 year olds in the hosed up wasteland of rural lower austria, ama

How many are already pregnant?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Countdown and/or under/over till the Polizei wants to know if you're doing a Grasfarm there and you just point at your chilis?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

In Swiss news, we managed to replace 2 Bundesräte (1m, 1f) with 2 Bundesrätinnen (that's the executive around here).

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz/standard/leuthard-wird-verabschiedet-favoritin-ist-da-sp-haelt-sich-bedeckt/story/28240419

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Dommolus Magnus posted:

How loud are the cries of "Misandry" by the chuds? Will I be able to hear them over here in the Ruhrgebiet? :allears:

Probably not. The party (or rather the members thereof) which would be most likely to go in that direction (SVP) was quite happy with the choices I think.
Also we're much too small to have chuds, they'd probably more be chudlis or so.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

[quote="Zwille" post=""491122908"]
Sylvester plans: Trying out that thing where you put rolls of camembert on top of each other, wrap the resulting towers in pizza dough and put them in the oven, then cutting it open for dipping.
[/quote]

That sounds disgusting, tell me more.

Will be at a friends, too much food and alcohol and more food and alcohol will be had. Fireworks will be seen either from the top of the building or in TV.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Gatac posted:

Um den avisierten positiven Gesprächston für 2019 schon einmal vorweg zunehmen: was ist denn nun ein guter Sekt/Schaumwein? Ich muss zugeben, ich bin einem solchen Exemplar bisher nicht begegnet, aber das ist auch nicht meine Welt - der einzige Wein, den ich genießbar fand, war mal ein kalifornischer Dessertwein.

Krimsekt habe ich mir auf jeden schonmal notiert.

Die Frage ist halt was du gerne hast.
Vom Dessertwein her hast du gerne süss? Ich empfehle Moscato (nicht Muskateller, obwohl auch gut ist der kein Schaumwein), ist zwar nicht so classy aber dafür säufig. Nur 5% Alkohol also auch brauchbar für Autofahrer und andere die Alkohol nicht so gerne haben.
Sonst bei der Beschreibung schauen nach Zeug wie doux, dolce, etc (ab sec/dry, Demi-sec etc haben sie einen bisschen süsslichen Touch). Die sind meistens nicht so süss wie Moscato aber immer noch süsslich.
Generell finde ich sonst Proseccos gut, relativ leicht und Preis/Leistung passt auch.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Guäts Neuis aus der Schweiz.
Gute Nacht oder guten Morgen je nach Richtung in der ihr unterwegs seid.

Und natürlich kitschig wie eh und je goonyear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

dogboy posted:

Especially the "if you are at your dads funeral be the most reliable person in the room"

The gently caress? Is that a call to suppress your emotions from a psychologist? At one of the probably most painful and stressful events?
Or is that one of those quotes totally out of context?