Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mano posted:

As others said that's mostly Lichtenstein. It's also pretty unfair, we also invade France regularly (much of the border is in woods), Germany at least by single people (some border crossing routes near Schaffhausen are allowed for civilians without "border crossing" but not for people on military duty. The rest of the border is the Rhine fortunately), shell Italy (who knew that shooting at Alps when you aim too high might lead to the shell flying further? I think they stopped the alp shelling generally though).
The only neighbor I'm actually not too sure about is Austria, most of the border is the Rhine and in the Alps which limits the amount of military people around. But with the proven ability of Swiss military to read maps (i.e. nearly nil. "What's that broad green line on the map? Probably not important"), I'm sure we do that regularly too.

The Austrian army is mostly kept in check by rampant alcoholism though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1157251341170946050

Clearly the only reasonable thing to do now is to defend die Schwarze Null at all costs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I am utterly clueless when it comes to economics, what is a "negative yield" and why is it bad?

It means in effect that people pay you interest to lend you money. Augurs believe they can read recession signs into yield flight patterns so they get worried. Of course in the EU its just gamblers expecting a new round of ECB asset purchases. The ECB is very committed to pretending they are not doing what any functinal central bank should be doing: Acting as a lender of last resort. So when they buy state debt so Italy doesn't default they also buy German debt in a fixed ratio.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It strikes me again that there are a lot of dumb politicians in Europe that have no idea how to campaign for anything. So they hire advisers and the market leaders(very smooth neolib brain at work here) are basically all American. No idea if that is the case here but it feels like it would play well in the Amiland, while being a wet squib basically anywhere on the old continent.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

Why don't we just introduce a 10 cent plastic bag charge? That way most people will remember to bring an old bag to reuse and if you really need one you can still buy it.

Who except the Bundesbank cares about a few cent?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Ilhan Omar def has an established longstanding pattern of posting/saying dubious poo poo about ze jews and I don't wanna see what she would put out if she wasn't getting pushback on it every time. You can't blame her for strongly identifying / siding with the Palestinians but you shouldn't pretend that the poo poo she's saying isn't borderline. German commitment / debt to Israel kinda transcends their colonial policy, which obvs sucks. I know you all have just been waiting with bated breath for my dumb hot take on this and furthermore

It absolutely was not and I can't see how anyone can come to the conclusion in good faith. And Germany-Israel relations are one of the dumbest political things on the planet.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Default Settings posted:

Vienna is larger than Hamburg and full of racists (and fascists).
Personally, I blame the 19th century.

Eh, Vienna isn't so bad. Worst part are all the old people living in small villages that only know about Ausländer from the fash tabloid all old people read.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/JochenBittner/status/1166689478741778432

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe that was also the Russian hackers?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Die "linke Sammlungsbewegung" in Österreich hat anscheinend ein Orientierungsproblem

Who is that then?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Randler posted:

Wie ist die SPÖ in Österreich denn so drauf? Sind das normale Sozialdemokraten oder so ein Haufen verkappter Kapitalknechte und Menschenhasser wie die deutsche SPD?

Die SPÖ hat in der selben Stadt "Wähl die Menschlichkeit", "Integration vor Zuwanderung", "Die Lunte Brennt" und "Klimaschutz ja. Bevormundung Nein!" plakatiert. Das gibt denk ich ein akkurates Bild ihrer Inhalte wieder.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Libluini posted:

No, funnier is that this threat would be pure nonsense if we just welcomed the refugees with open arms and spend some real effort into integrating them. Sadly, the typical Human's alignment has been set to Chaotic Evil since the first ape bashed the second ape's head in with a rock 3 million years ago, so Erdogan can laugh maniacally about how stupid and dumb we are instead.

It's not even an average human problem. I was in Vienna at the height of the refugee crisis. They had city government elections, and the mayor basically went yeah whatever, and the far right gained about two percent. But ever since then all of Europe's centrists have not found the time to change out of their poo poo pants and they keep turning the dril racism wheel with shaky hands and frequent glances into the audience.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

lol the "Wohnungsbau Genossenschaften Berlin" are very butthurt about the mietendekkel and polluting Berlin with posters like this:

Donations to the FDP: 30000€
Instandhaltung 50€
Advertising against rent control:200000€
Lawyers: 300000€

Somebody who is good at the economy help me budget this. My Mietzinshaus is dying.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sereri posted:

just lol @ all the pocket knife weirdos in this thread
"But what if I get my hand stuck and I have to cut it off, what am I gonna do, gnaw it off? :rolleyes:"

but not as weird as

https://twitter.com/janboehm/status/1184190452788027394?s=19

Goddamnit

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

Razzien: Polizei kontrolliert Shisha-Bars und Verkehr

This happened yesterday. Is it just me or is this recent crackdown on :ohdear: SHISHA BARS :ohdear: extremely racist

Are you familiar with the police?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/GNetzer/status/1184895723814432773

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

FDP in Thuringia by current counts exactly 1 vote above the 5% threshold, down from 5

Let's count till that is gone too.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

Is this real?

Search your heart.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sulla Faex posted:

least funny poster in the german thread and not even german. what an achievement to take home to your neighbours

To the Schiedsgericht.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I had to see this on an empty stomach, so now you do, too:

32 years old

CDU, not even once.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Randler posted:

3. Disallow political parties from holding shares in newspapers and broadcasters.

Who does what now?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The who was my question, yes? What parties own press in Germany? Usually you do it the other way around. For example in Austria, Raiffeisen has a stake in some of the biggest newspaper companies and also owns the conservative party's debt.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sereri posted:

UN missions are generally good, no?

I used to think that. But on the other hand you send a bunch of dudes in the worst possible age bracket(around 20), after they have proven that they make bad life choices (joining the army) into a culture they couldn't give a gently caress about. At some point you have to rethink the program if you keep causing the problems you are nominally here to solve.

""2010s Haiti cholera outbreak - Wikipedia" posted:

The cholera outbreak began ten months after the January 2010 earthquake, leading some observers to wrongly suspect it was a result of the natural disaster.[19][20] However, Haitians grew immediately suspicious of a UN peacekeeper base, home to Nepalese peacekeepers, positioned on a tributary of the Artibonite River.[21] Neighboring farmers reported an undeniable stench of human feces coming from the base, to the extent that local Haitians began getting their drinking water upstream from the base.[22] In response, United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) officials issued a press statement denying the possibility that the base could have caused the epidemic, citing stringent sanitation standards.[23] The next day, 27 October 2010, Jonathan M. Katz, an Associated Press correspondent, visited the base and found gross inconsistencies between the statement and the base's actual conditions.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Einbauschrank posted:

Neues Deutschland used to belong to the SED-PDS-Linke until 10 years ago, now it‘s a little bit more convoluted. SPD owns a buttload of newspapers through ddvg.

Ah, thanks.

""Deutsche Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft – Wikipedia" posted:

Die Deutsche Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft mbH (ddvg) mit Sitz in Berlin und Zweigniederlassung in Hamburg ist eine Medienbeteiligungsgesellschaft der SPD. Sie ist die Beteiligungsgesellschaft des SPD-Unternehmensbesitzes und zu 100 % im Eigentum der SPD. Die DDVG kommt als Verlagsgruppe mit den ihr zuzurechnenden Tageszeitungen auf eine anteilige Gesamtauflage von rund 435.000 Exemplaren und einen Marktanteil am bundesdeutschen Tageszeitungsmarkt in Höhe von 1,9 %. Sie nimmt damit Rang 11 der führenden Verlagsgruppen im deutschen Zeitungsmarkt nach Gesamtauflagen ein.

Doesn't seem like a number three political problem to me though:shrug:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Perestroika posted:

The AfD's genesis was basically as a "free market and rationality über alles (but also we hate foreigners)" neoliberal deal. They started marching directly rightward pretty much from the word go and ended up where they are now, but there's still plenty neoliberalism in their DNA left. Plus of course there's now a sizeable contingent of crusty former CDU people in there, which skews their economic policy further in that direction.

Very late to AfD chat, but it basicallly started as the gently caress Greece party.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

You make it sound like there are catholics who are not insane op

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

What's a good place to emigrate to? The Baltics seem cool, but idk about sitting next to da Russkies in a country that size, plus idk if I can take days even shorter than here. Hamburg in the winter already is kinda lovely, and I haven't checked their Parteienlandschaften yet.

e: asking out of some vague mixture of Abenteuerlust and Nazipanik.
I have bad news for you.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Randler posted:

The only good Austrian is Lisa Eckhart.

I hear Jörg Haider did at least one good car related thing.
Edit:

caps on caps on caps posted:

why is there a crying Krähe on the Austrian flag, idgi

Because it is all very sad OP.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

I discussed a text about pewdiepie in my 11. Klasse today and half of the class didn't know what "anti-semitic" means :)

It's when you have a border conflict with Israel op.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

don't worry friends, it was a jokey cspam proby and my post literally said "I hate jk rowling" because for the record: I hate jk Rowling and I have never read a single Harry Potter book even though I'm an English teacher lol

Do you get lots of school kids who want to give talks about Harry Potter? If that is still a thing?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Randler posted:

If it ever makes it to a judge in the first place. This ain't 'murica, where you can indict without facts.

They could try to get her committed in Bavaria, maybe?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Randler posted:

I thought Bavaria only illegally indicted people to give them low-sec Festungshaft and prevent them from mandatory deportation back to Austria?

There is also the mental illness of "knowing about financial crimes from your ex-wife", though I can't really rememer the guy's name.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Randler posted:

Was it also Bavaria that early retired tax auditors with doctored (:razz:) health checks because lack of tax enforcement is "Standortförderung", or was that Hessen?

""Steuerfahnder-Affäre – Wikipedia" posted:

Die Steuerfahnder-Affäre (manchmal auch Paranoia-Affäre) ist eine politische Affäre mit juristischen Folgen um die behauptete Ausschaltung von Steuerfahndern bei der erfolgreichen Ausübung ihrer Dienstpflichten mithilfe von Dienstanweisungen, Versetzungen, organisatorischer Umstrukturierung, psychiatrischen Gutachten und Zwangspensionierung. Sie waren im Finanzamt Frankfurt V tätig. Den vier hessischen Steuerfahndern Rudolf Schmenger, Marco Wehner sowie den Eheleuten Heiko und Tina Feser wurde in nahezu wortgleichen Gutachten „paranoid-querulatorische Entwicklung“ oder auch eine Anpassungsstörung[1] attestiert. Diese Beamten wurden im Dezember 2015 in letzter Instanz rehabilitiert. Der Psychiater Thomas Holzmann, der auch nach dem Urteil des Gießener Gerichts von 2009 von weitgehend korrektem Verhalten seinerseits ausging, wurde in allen vier Fällen zu Schadensersatz verurteilt. Das Land Hessen hat die Wiedereinstellung angeboten, aber noch keine Entschuldigung und Übernahme etwaiger weiterer Entschädigungsleistungen zugesagt (Stand Januar 2017).[2]
Though I want to say there was a second case somewhere.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yanis Varoufakis pulls out his CDU membership card.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

""WHO says coronavirus death rate is 3.4% globally, higher than previously thought" posted:

World health officials said Tuesday the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

The World Health Organization had said last week that the mortality rate of COVID-19 can differ, ranging from 0.7% to up to 4%, depending on the quality of the health-care system where it’s treated. Early in the outbreak, scientists had concluded the death rate was around 2.3%.

Although I'm not sure I trust this numbers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Healbot posted:

:hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

That's incidentally both more effective and easier on the budget.

But think about the Standort.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

On the other hand this looks bad:

https://twitter.com/MarkJHandley/status/1237144386569416712

And I advise to archive all the "we have everything under control" messages.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

elbkaida posted:

That graph makes no sense unless you normalise for population. Switzerland is not that far behind Italy, they've got loads of cases compared to the population size already

Why? If you want to show that the growth path is basically the same in all European countries that looks like the right way to do it?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Libluini posted:

What the hell is happening in Italy? :psyduck:

I just looked up the John Hopkins Corona Map and there are already 1k+ deaths in Italy, and 15k+ infected. I'm feeling that Dortmund-guy will have to eat his words in a couple of weeks if the virus catches up with us

European solidarity is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Eezee posted:

I already got a couple of Vorstellungsgespräche cancelled.
One of them said they are going to reschedule it for the beginning of April, which seems extremely optimistic of them. I low-key don't expect to start anywhere for the next couple of months at this point. And who knows what will have happened in the meantime.

:same:

I did finish building my new desktop PC at least.