Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sereri posted:

Anyone remember the guy who called the police "lachhafter haufen"? Well...

https://twitter.com/erdapfelotto/status/1051630505756684293

solid PR move there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah I mean that is a very historically interesting tidbit. Studying Rommel would probably reveal a lot of the power dynamics and ideological conflicts within the Third Reich.

Or maybe just fart out a tweet without context, I dunno

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zwille posted:

:kimmenschuss: Das ist aber kein repräsentativer Ausschnitt!

Steuerchat: Lohnt es sich, auch Sachen abzusetzen, die nix bringen für die Steuer? Wenn man z.B. unter der Steuergrenze liegt, also eh nix zahlt/gezahlt hat?

Mhhhh. Frag' lieber mal unter Leuten nach die sich damit auskennen. Unter Umstaenden ist es moeglich sich auszusuchen in welchem Jahr Du die Ausgaben geltend machst. Dann hilft dir die Ausgabe sobald Du ueber der Steuergrenze liegst.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

thread weird

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

System Metternich posted:

When my cousin was apartment hunting in Munich a couple of months ago one of the offers he got was, and I kid you not, a 4m² room in a WG for 400€... in Ebersberg, a good 45 S-Bahn minutes away from Munich's city centre :psyduck:

I see Germany is catching up to Western Europe

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Smirr posted:

"Problem?"

:smug:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mithaldu posted:

There are facebook people asking why Merkel is still doing chancellor stuff now that she's not chancellor anymore. :cripes:

Befriend other people

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The ultimate solution to the whole abortion problem and, let's be honest here, what America will ultimately come down to is that we need to arm the fetus. As soon as the fetus can defend itself from the thug mother and the hoodlum abortion doctor, the entire problem solves itself.

A collection of bear traps, Selbstschussanlagen and dead man switch neurotoxin release systems should hold back even the most devious assassins

I don't like Germans talking about ultimate solutions and neurotoxins

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Healbot posted:

Das arme Mädchen weiß nicht mal, dass sie in einer lesbischen Beziehung ist.

inb4 lesbians aren't really homo :v:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't dislike you Randler, let's never talk all the time

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lunar Suite posted:

Oh god yeah he did a trans joke and I actually left the room in disgust; Mutter had no idea why I was mad.
I guess that's just how it is. I'll try and be joyful when morality becomes incomprehensible to me; hopefully it'll mean society has surpassed me.

I'm looking forward to seeing us slowly transform into gammons as we age, too

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Simply Simon posted:

It is not a law of nature that all old people become racist and lovely, much like it's not a guarantee that all men want to be like their father and all women will be like their mother. Old people are people too and responsible for their own choices and actions. There shouldn't be any automatic excuse like that, and even less so for someone who's job is to literally stay on top of current events and commentate on them in a funny way.

I get that if you're, like, 80 and just done with it all then you might not WANT to understand what the kids these days are doing and watch the news and learn twitter and Facebook or whatever and I'd be sympathetic to you and personally excuse a lot of questionable behaviour because I have compassion with the elderly. I'd probably still argue against you when you bring your lovely uninformed opinions to the public. Nuhr is anything but elderly, he can go gently caress himself.

You're right. In fact, personality research suggests that humans become more mellow and agreeable as they age. But it is is the case that they become more close-minded. Some of that is probably preventable, like humans becoming complacent with their own life style ("It worked for me, why do these people want it different"). But I wouldn't at all be surprised if a part of that process was inevitable.

I'm sorry that I can't dig out the source because that would cost me an hour or so at work, but: reaction times get longer as humans grow older. There was one memory-related study a couple of years ago in which they found that one reason for this slowing is that humans have to basically index an ever-growing memory before making certain judgments. If you apply that to learning, it'll mean that integrating new knowledge (or attitudes) into existing knowledge (or attitudes) becomes more difficult.

Maybe this can be mitigated if it is drilled into individuals to think critically, to reflect, and to expect to have to re-adjust their thinking every now and then. It would be absolutely brilliant if a generation would keep these skills until they've arrived at an age where they've accumulated economical and political privilege. But unless you actively work on it I'm afraid the default scenario is to become close-minded.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The last thing I heard about is that something big was supposed to go down on December 5th (in the background of a Trump video you could see a bus for like a millisecond with "D5" printed on it which is irrefutable evidence, you see) but then nothing happened do. then they switched over to December 7th, and when nothing happened there too they were like "through those various fakeouts Trump forced them to play their hand too soon and now they're completely defenceless, what a genius" and whatever they think will happen is supposed to do so on Christmas Eve now iirc

Nothing happening as predicted actually confirms the predictions because it shows that the conspiracy postponed their plans for fear of being exposed :tinfoil:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The only acceptable celebration is winter solstice, the rest is all imported bullshit

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Libluini posted:

Weihnachten is Winter Solstice, just with a thin veneer of Christianism tacked over it.

I won't accept it until the crucifix and tree are replaced by the jule log :argh:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Smirr posted:

Imagine four Bratwürste on the inside of a pide. Say a direct copy of the Bratwurst nearest your mouth is sent to the back of the line of Bratwürste and takes the place of the first Bratwurst. The formerly first Bratwurst becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth drops down your gullet.

Time works the same way.

That reads like a reddit ELI5

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Libluini posted:

And if we knew what an "ELI5" is supposed to mean, we would think your post was really funny. Alas, normal people don't read Reddit, so

Anyway, that stuff is I think, older than Reddit anyway. (Get it? I juxtaposed "Reddit" with "dirt")

Don't know if your comment was irony or not, but ELI5 stands for 'Explain like i'm 5' on reddit. When there's an ELI5 question, people respond with really contrived and forced :psyduck: analogies. Like, physicists already have a knack for making really bad analogies that only complicate the material they're trying to explain. But redditors can effortlessly top that. That's what my comment was alluding to. I did not intend to piss anyone off btw.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

http://m.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/spenden-buerger-schenken-staat-rekordsumme-zum-schuldenabbau-a-1245200.html

People are donating a record amount of money this Christmas. However they're donating it to the state to reduce debt :psyduck:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm the guy who wants to see the Dunkelheit more klarer

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

Thank you for your Leave vote.

I'm not a UK person so I couldn't have voted Leave (and I wouldn't have). :)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Still not informed about the licking revolution. Can I keep off my pants or what

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've become far too gammony and old to want to party for four days straight

I just want to stuff my belly and calm my pupper once the fireworks start

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh man I went to see Carpenter Brut this March, basically didn't know a thing he did and ended up in first row

I was woefully underprepared

Carpenter Brut owns

Get perturbator, raydar and dance with the dead

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

*looks at Abendbier* soon this will have more Prozent than the spd, lol

https://twitter.com/ZDFheute/status/1079401725327364096?s=20

Ah yes the party that looks out for the proletariat and the interests of the underclass

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's not even a "Rasenmähermotor", that's a mass-produced DIY conversion for bikes, and the manual usually includes a big ol' "COMPLY WITH LOCAL LAW AND REGULATION, YOU DINGUS" warning

loving NRW-Polizei and their clickbait :mad:

"Schlaganfall Fahrradmotor" :hmmyes:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Libluini posted:

Apparently "staatstragend" is code for "only idiots vote for them", considering how the SPD is bombing in elections so far

Besides, the entire BGE discussion is kind of confusing for me, we are already giving people Hartz IV, after all. The BGE is basically the same, just with less bureaucracy and set on a slightly higher level of "income". I'm fairly sure if we just give everyone a slightly higher, renamed Hartz IV but bulldoze the gigantic bureaucratic machine behind Hartz IV, the state would come out on top.

And I'm speaking here as someone who lived many years under Hartz IV and has relatives living under Hartz IV right now, so I know fairly well what a bureaucratic Kindergarten Hartz IV. The wastage of effort and money is enormous.

The problem with the tweet isn't that the blurb by Nahles is factually incorrect, it's that it's incredibly tone-deaf.

You rightly point out that a universal basic income would just be another welfare scheme in a sugar coat, with macro-economic uncertainties attached. But right now, welfare schemes carry exceptionally bad stigmata. There are tons of people who can't work due to disability and illness, who are stuck in the health and welfare systems. There are segments of working age population who couldn't work in anything but state-subsidized small time employment in toxic jobs at businesses that wouldn't be competitive without state aid. Others are driven to become 'self-employed' delivery drivers, which is just the same kind of state aid to the parental company except with more poo poo. It's my impression that the state has nothing to offer to these people except derision and contempt. If you're working and can't make rent because you're still treated as a Sozialschmarotzer and Bittsteller.

Now I agree that a universal basic income would probably not help these people a terrible lot. Maybe it'll be a bit more for some, but less for others. There's the danger that individual needs and hardships that exceed the BGE will not be covered. Maybe it does save the state a little work (and employment, ha) to process the BGE compared to the current system. But to act as though society right now is an egalitarian utopia where everyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps isn't helping. Maybe it is time we acknowledged people's struggles. Maybe it's also time to realize that increasing spending to a group that uses 99% of their money at the supermarket next door is an easy way to ease their problems while stimulating consumption in meager years (I mean isn't Germany's lack of a consumer market one of her biggest economical weaknesses anyway?).

So Nahles reflects on all this, then looks at the history of Social Democracy across Europe and in Germany. She realizes that as a Social Democrat she's in the game to stand up for the disenfranchised and create a healthy economy for everyone. Nah gently caress it she goes all :bahgawd: and :smuggo: about it.

I mean, really, who is the SPD trying to appeal to anymore?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Smirr posted:

staatstragende drywall

:dadjoke:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In lieu of Oliwanposting, I'm gonna be serious and say I kinda think there really, really is a point in distinguishing between actual Neonazis that are a danger to our democracy and humanity-at-large, and idiots with dumb opinions trolling on some forum.
Because the worst the latter do is inconvenience a bunch of other people on said forum, and they can be run out of town relatively easily. Defeating actual Neonazis requires exponentially more effort, and that effort needs to be sustained, almost none of which can be done exclusively on some forum.

So blurring the lines between trolls and actual Neonazis (along with everything in between on that spectrum, like racist grandpas, CSU Politiker, AfD Politiker, etc) seems extremely counter-productive to me.

I think I made an effort-post to that extent in this very Faden before, but I'd really just prefer if we didn't casually call people Nazis in here unless they are the real deal. Edgelord-Racists? Run them out of town. Trolls posting racist poo poo? Run them out of town.
But don't throw around Nazi at a new person every couple of months. (Not addressing you here, mind)

Hell, I'm pretty sure Randler was unironically referred to as the Fadennazi more than once.

I get what you are saying. But 10 years ago I thought people on 4chan were being edgy and ironic and using Nazi taboos for humor. Similarly I thought people on the internet were making jokes about women in an unfunny but harmless way. They were not making an awkward attention at humor.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Btw regarding NYE drinks, I got myself a dark Belgian beer that I'll be sipping for an hour or so.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Buddy of mine taught me how to shoot of böllers and rockets with a signal gun

There is some chance that they'll blow up in your face this way but how else are you going to lob a Chinaböller 100m into the air like a mortar shell

E: don't do this :v:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yes let us talk down and demonize other people about potentially contributing to 0.00645 of CO2 emissions and get bogged down into discussions about that rather than tackling the issue of generating almost half our energy by burning coal in TYOL 2019

seriously it's cool that people buy bamboo toothbrushes and all that (which are shipped in from other continents) in order to save the environment. but maybe the effort would be better spent to improve the source of 90% of our emissions rather than the remaining 10%.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 5, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wengy posted:

I feel like I'm repeating myself but por que no los dos. Also, who the gently caress buys a bamboo toothbrush that is then imported via plane? you'd have to be literally retarded to do that

I sympathize with your por que no los dos, I really do. But my impression is that if people feel that something isn't going right, they'll do one thing about it. That thing might fix or not fix the issue. What this means on a larger scale is that people who are concerned about environmental issue will walk into the store, pick a few items with a green or blue sticker on them, and then conclude 'I guess that's about all we can do'. Meanwhile any big corporation wouldn't hesitate one second to force feed their toxic waste to a bunch of endangered whales if it saved them one cent.

Maybe I'm to cynical about all of this. But my impression remains that efforts to change the habits of consumers (like making plastic bags cost a few cents) give societal and political discourse a nice excuse to be distracted and procrastinate the larger issues.

BTW I looked up some of the tooth brushes in question, and they're produced in Shenzhen, China. So I guess their ecological foot stamp doesn't measure op to their advertising claims :v: . That being said I am in favor of replacing single-use plastics where it makes sense, so I'm happy that people at least think about these things.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 5, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oliwan is right

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mithaldu posted:

tbh i can't be arsed to look it up properly now, but i was thinking something like, left axis: distance travelled by individual, bottom axis: individuals sorted by distance travelled, and the lines really being a very dense scatter plot or something

in the end not really worth a lot of effort tho. either they groks how hilariously misleading "average" can be when applied to populations and that people who don't fly will in fact not stick out, or they don't

You're looking for a skewed or non-normal distribution, where the average is not representative

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Simply Simon posted:

What do you mean now? It's an Einschub, because you can read the sentence without it:
"Die Verletzungen von Magnitz verden laut den Ärzten wieder heilen"
So the "er hatte zahlreiche Prellungen und Platzwunden erlitten" is a full sentence that just gets inserted, and denoted with commas.

I'll admit that I have no clue about what's proper and right, but that construction strikes me as very unusual.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Buy swedish planes imo

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fair

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I feel Randler is grumpier than usual today

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

In the contrary. I am esctatic about the impending victory of democracy and return of England's sovereignity.

I have even started going vegan in order to prepare for all the crushed hopes and dreams upon which I will feast.

Angry gammon tears are animal product, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can't read the article behind the paywall, but agree with the runner (for perhaps the wrong reasons as I can't read the rest).

My sister has a lovely daughter. Whenever my mother (so, the niece's nana) came to pick her up, the niece would try to run away and hide. She'd yell 'NO!' when she was asked if she wanted to give Nana a hug. She would cry if she was asked whether she wanted to spend a day there. She loved all the other older ladies in the family though. The grandmother, on her part, would lament that something was horribly wrong with the child: always in a bad mood, always moping and crying and never laughing. Surely, she reasoned, it was my sister's modern way of raising children that caused this (a.k.a. not exclusively giving the daughter girly stuff, having her play with other children in gay communist day care as opposed to locking her up in the house as we had been).

It transpired that whenever Nana would pick up the child, their version of a day of toddler-appropriate activities consisted of: sitting at home in the chair and reading the news while the toddler was allowed to inspect the surroundings but of course not touch anything for fear of DANGEROUS. Nana would take the toddler shopping and basically told her to sit in the corner while she was picking out clothes for half an hour. They'd go have to a fancy Italian restaurant where the kid had to sit still for an hour and be surprised that the kid hated that.

Please do age-appropriate stuff with your children.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 19, 2019