Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Two awesome whisk(e)y deals at Costco right now:

1) Oban 14 is discounted to $47.99 until the end of the year.

2) They must have purchased a lot of High West Double Rye, because they had about a dozen bottles on display priced at $26.99!

I ended up grabbing the Double Rye, but may be back for the Oban if Xmas money comes my way.

I didn't see either of those when I went today :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Trisk posted:

That being said, I'm assuming I would be better served with something from the OP like Johnnie Walker or Glenlivet? Any other good suggestions for something I could get from Costco that's much easier drinking for a pansy like me who apparently cant handle peaty whiskeys?

Are you looking specifically at scotch whiskys? If you're starting from glenlivet, maybe try glenfiddich 12. I think I saw it last time I was at costco. I think the price is about the same as glenlivet.

Also, I wish laphroaig 10 was only $33 :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

Because we are not toothless hillbillies or sorority girls looking for peach-flavored swill to make the next time the Alpha-Varsigma-Varsigma boys drop by more tolerable. :colbert:

You know what is fun? Paying VA ABC prices for Scotch and other spirits. I traveled to Arizona for Christmas and was reminded how cheaply I could stock my liquor cabinet there, and I bought lots of bottle to bring home. Got another bottle of Lagavulin 16 from Costco for $44... VA price? $102. I grabbed a fifth of Bulliet bourbon for $30 (VA $60), and my wife demanded I buy the Glenlivet gift box of the 12, 15 year French Oak, and 18 for $115 ($45, $60, and $104 = $209). Heck, I think Glenlivet is kinda soft and boring, but for those prices I wasn't going to complain.

At least we got neato stuff like Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky, and more importantly Reservoir Bourbon and Rye here. Shame it costs ~$45 for 375ml.

Though my inner leftist is glad the high prices are easy to funnel to local schools and infrastructures, I must admit I wouldn't mind the yokels in the State legislature opening up the way for Total Wine and Costco to clean house here. Raise my property taxes or something for gently caress's sake.

:eyepop:

and I thought stuff was expensive here after I moved

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

In my experience the really cheap single malts aren't worth it and usually plain bad. For the sub €/$ 35 segment blends or vatted is usually better.

aren't glenfiddich 12, glenlivet 12, and macallan 10 all around this price range, depending on where you live?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

proves my point

the three most boring single malts

well, then what's better at that price range that's easy to find? I wouldn't go so far as to say that johnnie walker black is better, though I really like the bottles since I don't have to mess with cork

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

What are some whiskeys similar to hibiki for mixing with soda? I mix at a 1:6 ratio out of convenience (2-shot shot pitcher, 12 oz can of seltzer water). I've also done this with knob creek and buffalo trace, but I didn't like them as much possibly because they're a different type of whiskey. Easier to find than hibiki would be good, cheaper would be even better but not really necessary

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

kirtar posted:

There is so much wrong with that drink :wtc:. That thing looks like an abomination that tries to combine a whiskey sour (lemon->lime) and mint julep before converting into a highball by adding Sprite (though IBA does a highball glass for juleps). I might need to figure out if there are any decent bourbon based highballs that aren't that thing since I am more likely to sip on those during the summer.

A mint julep as a highball sounds like it'd be pretty good too, but I'd just add more seltzer to do that

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is $29.99 (post tax around $38 or so) a good price for aberlour 12? It seemed like it was fair bit cheaper than I remembered seeing it at other places, so if it's a particularly good price, I might pick up more the next time I'm at costco.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

For what it's worth, it's available enough that I can get it at costco, while I'm sure it you couldn't find it in most liquor/groceries where I grew up because I think their selection of irish whiskey was basically just jameson

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Are there any obvious "good value" options on the lower side of the price range?

Balvenie doublewood 12 is pretty commonly recommended and is something like $50

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

You typically aren't going to find something peaty like Lagavulin or Laphroaig that's cheaper than Laphroaig 10. JW Black might fill that hole and it's a bit less expensive, especially at Costco. There are a few other "peat" blends that might be a few $ cheaper than froggy, but I doubt they'll be nearly as good as it.

Bowmore legend exists and was really cheap when I tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Some people seem to like it for the price though

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The coffey grain isn't that bad but it definitely isn't good for the price it demands in the states. I still like the hibiki because I liked it more with a generous amount of soda water even before they switched to NAS.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Is all Hibiki NAS now? I swear I saw Hibiki 12 on the shelf just today.

Hibiki japanese harmony is the NAS replacement for the 12. You might still be able to find some 12 that are older stock, but most places are stocking the NAS version now. The box is different, but the bottle is basically the same.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of bourbon at $150. Well not in person anyways.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

emotive posted:

What's everyone think of Teeling Small Batch? I picked up a bottle last night and so far I think I love it.

Also, did the Japanese hype die down or is it just way more available now? Seems like the prices were much lower than I remember them being a while back.

At least some of it is way more available probably because it switched to nas. The first bottle of hibiki I bought was the last bottle on the shelf at total wine, and the second was from Costco except it had changed to Japanese Harmony nas. I don't like the second bottle as much as I did the first

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

kidsafe posted:

Reminder that there's ridiculous amounts of Stagg available this year.

I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch of it at costco last week. Is it worth picking up? I usually get russell reserve

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Does Costco have Stagg Jr or George T Stagg?

I honestly can't remember. I've never seen either at Costco before but I'll double check today

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

kidsafe posted:

That was probably Stagg Jr. If it’s in a squat bottle, it’s Stagg Jr. If it’s in a tall bottle it’s George T. Stagg.

It was in fact stagg jr. I've never seen it here before and I guess I wasn't paying much attention

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

There was a shitload of george t stagg for this year wasn't there? I've never had it but it seems to more or less fit what you're looking for

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

EDIT 2: Upon further investigation, according to US law, corn whiskey needn't be aged, but other whiskeys must be. Apparently many people, including Jack Daniel's legal department, are confused by the layers of nonsense.

Interestingly, if you age corn whiskey, you must do so in used or uncharred barrels. I mean I guess that makes sense since "corn whiskey" in new, charred barrels is technically a bourbon albeit with a much higher corn content than required.

Although that being said, tossing a bunch of stuff into a barrel for a couple minutes just so you can call it (not corn) whiskey seems wasteful since those barrels are now used but not in a good way

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 17, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

With the snobbery around the "single malt" part of scotch, I'm kinda surprised single grain whiskies arent more popular

In your mind what is a "single grain" whiskey though?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

100% one grain. So, ryes have been catching on that. 100% Corn whiskies/moonshine, at least where I am, aren't popular. Or like bernheim wheat etc

Okay just was wondering because single in single malt had nothing to do with what grains are used

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I thought it was 100 % malted barley from one growing season.

It doesn't even mean that. Single just means completely produced with distillate from one distiller. Malt is the part that indicates all barley in scotch whiskey. Neither prevents blends between different seasons, but the age statement is the youngest in the blend

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I got a bottle of Westland Peated American Whiskey for Christmas and it has been awesome. It's the kind of whiskey that you might use to introduce people to peaty scotches, I'll probably keep a bottle on hand for guests instead of just throwing Ardbeg at them.

Costco had a three pack sampler of Westland if you were going that route. I think it was peated, sherry, and one other thing

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It's a shame really because there's not many places making a 100% rye whisk(e)y. If Alberta did a properly aged version done in quality casks they might have gold. As it stands 90% of Canadian whisky is just awful. Shame.

Didn't a Crown Royal rye win an award a year or two back though?

The crown Royal northern harvest rye got a lot of attention

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone have opinions on colonel eh taylor straight rye? I noticed costco had it the last time I went but didn't really want to go in for a $95 bottle without knowing anything about it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

Woodford is usually $12-$15 a pour for me. This is across multiple major metropolitan areas.

And in NYC I regularly see it for like $22 :(

Is that standard woodford or something like woodford double oaked?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hopefully, kavalan gets cheaper at some point as they grow. They showed up in costco recently, although it wasn't there when I went today. I think their basic + solist bourbon cask can be found for 80-90, which is more expensive than any bottle that I have aside from a cask-strength highland park. I'd like to try it some time since my parents are from taiwan which means I can pretty easily have them pick it up from duty free shops.

Also holy poo poo, the ex-bourbon cask at total wine is more than double the duty-free shop price I just looked up

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

It's distilled in Washington, yes. The distillery opened in 2010 and is just beginning to release their first 4+ year straight rye and straight bourbon outside the Washington market.

"This 100% rye starts with pure, traditionally-grown rye cultivated exclusively for us on the Omlin family farm in Quincy, Washington. The grain is mashed, distilled & barreled in our Woodinville distillery – then trucked back over the Cascade Mountains to our private barrel houses, where Central Washington’s extreme temperature cycles promote the extraction of natural flavors from the oak."

Please let me know how it is. I live really close to the distillery and haven't tried their products yet since I still have a pretty large backlog of bottles to finish before picking anything new up.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

obi_ant posted:

So if I’m understanding correctly, the main ingredients...

Bourbon = corn
Rye Bourbon = rye
Wheated Bourbon = wheat

E:fb pages exist

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I've been enjoying the woodinville straight bourbon. Otherwise the only other sub-50 (post-tax) bourbon I've had in recent history is OGD114 and I think I like the woodinville more. Not sure what the pricing/availability is since it's locally produced

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't all michters stuff listed as kentucky as state of distillation and therefore not MGP? Also apparently they built a new distillery a couple years ago but it'll be a while before they'd be selling anything from there

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You might be able to get lagavulin 16 in that price range at costco or somewhere similar pending your state taxes

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Weller and blantons are both wheated options but it's not really available at normal prices. Blantons is (retail) at the lower end of your budget after WASLT, but you'll probably have a hard time finding it. I've seen it a couple times at various places, but it's not consistently available. Weller is cheaper but also just as unavailable, and I've only ever seen weller special reserve and not regular weller. I have no real recommendations for specifically wheated bourbons because the "best" ones are all impossible to find at normal prices. Total wine has a makers barrel select and an MGP wheated bourbon from Redemption, but I haven't tried either of them.

Otherwise, you can get something like russel reserve single barrel select for that price, or you could visit the woodinville whiskey co for something local and see if they have anything selections in your price range--their normal lines are more like 45 post tax, but they may have other offerings. I don't have a huge amount of experience in the $80+ range for bourbon because there are just so many good sub-$60 options

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Blanton's isn't wheated, it's a "high rye" mashbill. Still a great gift for a bourbon lover. EH Taylor is also solid if you can find it

Oops, my mistake. Still pretty difficult to find around here though. EH taylor straight rye is definitely available here since i've seen it at costco and various safeway/qfcs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

Japan is not the UK. With a 25% markup on the latter I suspect "Japanese whisky" will have a lot more customers.

Japanese whiskey already basically has that mark up by nature of being japanese whiskey though :confused:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn't that 80 include taxes? I'd pay basically the same in USD after tax but we have some of the highest liquor taxes in the us

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

i can't wait to pay $150 for glenlivet 12

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Single malts do not inherently imply complexity or strong flavors. I'd argue that most 10-12yr speysides mix just fine as long as you're okay with the extra money you're paying to buy single malts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I would like to remind everyone that not all single malts are islays