Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Might be the best job yet. Do you think the peel helped much? Is it worth getting if you only make pizza ~3 times a month?

Worst case it becomes part of your bedroom discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Someone mentioned cast iron. I was thinking if putting a cast iron griddle in the oven would work well as a substitute for a "real" pizza stone?

It would work wonderfully, properly done cast iron pan pizza is great, and by properly I mean using it like a pizza stone, not building a pizza in a cold pan.

Cast Iron pizza:

Preheated for 30min at 500, let broiler fire up, threw pizza in after another 5min, cooks in 4-6min.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm sure cast iron pizzas can be done well, but in the example you posted, that crust is charcoal :(

Its only the flour on the outside, it is chewey with a slight crunch.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

My mistake, your "flour on the outside" conforms to the shape of the crust perfectly, and reflects light like a charcoal-ed crust does.

Im surprised you can see the detail from all the way up on that high horse.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

My first thought would be to somehow make the crust like a soft pretzel instead of adding crumbled pretzel bits to it. No idea how you would accomplish that, since a pretzel is boiled, but I bet it would taste way better.

You could do a quick dip in a baking soda bath before topping.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

I've been away from pizza making for quite some time. I think the last few times I tried I had a bitch of a time getting it from the peel to the stone. It would literally be sticky and I had to scrape it off despite using cornmeal and a bunch of flour. So I'm about to jump back in, and I noticed there were people using parchment paper to avoid this, and I was wondering if a silicone cookie sheet be a viable option?

Rice Flour is king.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

88h88 posted:

How would eggs affect a dough being cold risen in the fridge? I mean is there a point where I'd get sick eating pizza due to the age of the egg? School me, I honestly have no clue about it.

Ide assume the bio burden from the eggs could cause some nasty bugs to move in and kill your healthy good yeast.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I made pizza tonight. It was the first time I've tried anything remotely like it, I haven't even really done a great deal of real cooking before.

It turned out reasonably well:

However the base was a little doughy/soggy on top still, under the toppings. Is fixing this just a case of putting it lower in the oven? I cranked my oven up to the highest it would go which is about 280° Celsius.

Also the first pizza I put in, I put too much topping on, it overspilled, and my stone has split nicely in half:

I was still able to use it for the second pizza though, I just slotted the two halves together in the oven.

One thing that's puzzled me a bit is how the hell you're supposed to get a really thin crust pizza onto a stone. I have a wooden chopping board, I covered it with cornflour and just about managed to get my somewhat thin pizza onto the stone, is there any special technique to getting REALLY thin pizzas in there?

That cheap stone did the same thing to me, I think its a cheap manufacturing process that results in pockets that reduce survivability.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I am really considering getting a stand mixer just for pizza dough. I kinda hate baking but want to be able to make awesome smooth dough like you guys and I always get crap when using my hands. Can anyone post a good recipe that gives more details for using your hands and not a standardized mixer?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im also getting one of these as it seems more durable than a stone and apparently cooks better. Any my cast iron is too much of a bitch to slide pizzas into.

http://stoughtonsteel.com/

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'll try but I mean my kitchenaid has literally never been able to knead any dough worth a poo poo at all for some reason

I as a human being have never been able to knead dough for a poo poo, and I always wind up with a hunk of dough that is so rubbery any attempt to flatten it results in it returning to a ball shape.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza at supper time.

Maybe just pizza in the morning.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

Anyone heard about this thing - http://www.roccbox.com/? I'm cautiously optimistic, despite the kinda douchey rhetoric. At ~$500 US (I think?) seems like it might be an interesting mid point between a Big Green Egg and a hacked Weber. Or am I fooling myself?

This looks like a kickstarter pipedream that will never come true.

This is cheaper and exists;

http://uncrate.com/stuff/uuni-2-pizza-oven/

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

angor posted:

Yesterday I started a no-knead dough destined for pizza tomorrow. I came home from work and was supposed to throw it in the fridge, but instead I drank a few glasses of single malt and went to sleep. It's in the fridge now, but it spent a good 21 hours between 71ºF - 75ºF.

Will the dough be alright? Should I make a backup batch?

Theoretically it should be like beer or wine where the yeast overpowers other bacteria that could make you sick. But without controlled conditions there is no way to be sure it wont make you sick.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

About these pizza steels, are they any special type of steel? What I'm wondering is, why not just get myself to the junk yard and buy some 12mm (1/2") plate steel, carbon or stainless, for 1-3 euros a kilo and cut it to a suitable size and polish it up?

I did a cursory Google search and first results have people talking about a specific grade of steel probably for its thermal properties, but from what I saw I think you can go do that but success is not guaranteed.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Home pizza cooking, no broiler activation (mine shuts off automatically if the oven is at 550), what's the consensus: pizza at top of oven or bottom?

I tend to not have any problems getting the bottom to cook because I have a steel but usually end up waiting awhile (10 mins or so cook time) for the pizza to actually brown on top and sometimes the cheese burns or whatever in the meantime. Obviously I'd like the whole thing to cook as fast as possible I think?

I used to pull it out after 4-5 mins but my wife says that she got raw dough one time and that I need to cook it a lot longer so I dunno, I mean maybe ~the truth is somewhere in the middle~ but she likes me to cook them the full 9-10 mins til it's like literally brown on top of the crust and I feel like the interior crust is pretty dried out by then

Cook on a lump of cast iron, broiler in the bottom of the oven to cook top of pizza, then put on stovetop to finish bottom.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Illegal Move posted:

Two quick questions for pan pizza:
1) I'm not really sure if I should be coating my pan with oil or with flour before I put the dough in. I've seen both of these options in different recipes, but oil seems like the safer bet if I don't want it to stick. Or am I wrong?
2) Is it better to start heating my pan before or after I put the dough in? Does it even make a difference?

I've made pizza before, but never in a pan. I have a small (8") cast iron skillet which I really love to use, so I thought it would be cool to try making a pizza in it. I'll do it tonight so if I don't mess it up too bad I'll post some pictures later.

The reason cast iron pizza works is the pan acts as a pizza stone, you need to get the pan rippin hot either on the stove or oven before dough touches it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I tried the Modernist Cuisine technique of vacuum sealing buffalo mozz with a bunch of paper towels and it's the first time I've actually found it usable for pizza. This and draining my crushed tomatoes for a few hours before making the sauce has dramatically reduced the moisture content of my toppings and allowed them to cook at about the same pace as the crust. I feel like now I can truly cook at the proper temps, assuming I can achieve them.

I bought this grill conversion that can get reach 7-900°F.

The problem is it takes like $20 worth the charcoal to get it up to those temps. That's fine for a party or something where you are cooking a lot of pies for a while but is a little ridiculous for a 2 person meal. I may try just starting some logs in my fire pit but that's time consuming and still silly for a weeknight dinner. Have you guys found any oven hacks or tried the pizzaque propane unit?

Cast iron griddle under broiler works well for me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

How close are you putting your rack?

I have gas so its its own separate compartment, I would venture maybe 5 inches, have to let it pre-heat for awhile though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bartlebee posted:

If that breaks tables or doesn't show up, somebody embarrass me and tell me what I did wrong with the tagging. I've never posted pics to GWS before, but I've got two years worth of pizzas I've never shared.

use [timg] as opposed to [img]

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

toplitzin posted:

That's CENSORED, and further west IIRC.

We do not name that abomination here, from henceforth that is "The cheese like object that shall not be named".

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

I'm making a barbeque chicken pizza at home sometime soon. Are there any mandatory must-have options for toppings aside from red onion and cheddar?

I have some spicy cased sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms to work with here.

Corn.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I used to only believe in the church of the thin pizza, but I have been romanced by the heretics of the Detroit style.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Anything to remove moisture is a great idea, I can’t stand pepper water pizza.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I drove 20 minutes to a grocery store in the middle of nowhere, cMe back with 12 packets of yeast and a 5lb sack of ap flour.

Also pizza yeast has dough conditioners in it that let you work it easier.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

cr0y posted:

Can you make a bread starter with an existing (dwindling) stash of ADY? ....would that yield more "normal" yeast or would it turn into sourdough from the wild yeast floating around? Anyone have any idea how to breed more yeast from existing normal yeast?

Can't find yeast. What a time to be alive.

So you can breed more yeast by following sourdough guidelines, it won’t be sourdough at first but it will eventually get there. ADY is such a hearty beast it will kill any wild yeast that starts to grow which is why it’s not recommended for starting a sourdough culture.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I always keep the Nebraska pizza in my back pocket from the year I lived there.

Double pepperoni and cream cheese.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is disgusting but I'm curious how double the double pepperoni was. This could be even worse.

It was like a sheet of pepperoni. I feel I need to clarify, it has cheese and sauce and the cream cheese is like a topping where it was these creamy melted globs on top of the pepperoni.

Like tater tot casserole is the Shepard’s pie of middle America... cream cheese is the Buratta.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Been making a bunch of pandemic pizza and bread. This one was kalamata olives, feta, and pepperoni:

After years of baking bread and pizza from various recipes, I just now found out about baking ratios, which make things super simple to remember. I miss having access to a brick oven :(

Use a cast iron pan

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes, I'm pretty close to getting a dutch oven or cast iron pan. I'm just freaked out about how to transfer the pizza into it with it being blazing hot...guess I'll need a peal at that point.

So I build in the hot pan, throw it on the stove and preheat it on medium high for a bit after stretching, and build quickly while the heat is on before moving it under your broiler.

Put back on the stove if the bottom ain’t charred enough.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody use a bread maker for pizza dough? I'm both a bread and pizza novice, as well as very lazy, so I gave it a shot. I used my standard recipe, but the dough came out way too liquid-y, more like a batter. I'm still letting it rise in the pan for tonight's pizza, and it might turn out okay, but I think I'll knead by hand from now on.

Edit: Welp that was one of the worst pizzas I've ever had.

Honestly it probably would have been fine if you would let it sit overnight in the fridge. I run 66% hydration in my stand mixer and that pours out like batter until it sits for a bit.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Yea I do 66%hydration but I also let it sit in the fridge a few days and use high gluten flower.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ogopogo posted:

We did a thing and started a small pizzeria downtown, this weekend we put out a special for a post-Christmas pizza called the "You'll Shoot Your Pie Out."
It's a crab rangoon pizza, weird and awesome and we sold quite a bit! Crab rangoon goodness with a touch of mozz, topped with green onions, fresh fried wonton crisps, and a spicy sweet and sour sauce made with local peppers from a friend of ours.

Where is the cream cheese.

Honestly being in Nebraska taught me about cream cheese dollops on pizza and I feel it would party well on this for a true American Chinese flair.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

is there a way to get Pendleton Flour Mills/Grain Craft Power Flour in Texas that isn’t either out of stock or prohibitively loving expensive?

Yea, what about this brand is so appeals to you? I know I can buy smart and final brand high gluten flower dirt cheap here in California and I assume they sell it nationally.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I don't have a mixer. Any recommendations?

Use every step you can to develop your gluten.

- Use high gluten flower
- Autolyse : https://www.theperfectloaf.com/guides/how-to-autolyse/
-cold ferment for as long as you can

After a certain point a mixer does not matter as ever else makes up for it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Malefitz posted:

It looks delicious but something about the taste of warm pineapple really puts me off...

So what probably does it for you is warmed canned pineapple. Grilled fresh pineapple is great, and using fresh pineapple on pizza is great.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

nwin posted:

In my opinion, the only reasons to get an ooni or koda, etc over a steel in your home oven is if you have pizza parties where your normally cranking out more than a few pizzas or if you don’t want to heat your house up in the summer time.

If your main thing were neopolitan pizzas I’d be a little more inclined to suggest it. I mainly do NY style and have a black stone propane pizza oven. I have to dial the heat on that back a bit so the top doesn’t burn, and that’s with a pizza stone that spins on its own and turning the flame off when I launch the pizza.

A koda/ooni without a rotating stone means you’ll have to dial the heat way back and constantly flip that pizza around so you don’t get the back/sides burnt.

Gas oven.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm looking for some tips to adjust dough. This weekend I used this recipe in an Ooni pizza oven. Everyone agreed it was the best tasting dough I've made so far (only third attempt) but it had a very narrow window between delicious and burning or quite literally catching on fire.

I kept an eye on it and rotated but it still had a narrow window. Are there adjustments I can make to keep the flavor without the quick burning?

This is an amateur pizza recipe you want things in %s.

I use Kenjis numbers slightly tweaked and I use high gluten flour I get from smart and final.

High gluten flour: 100%
Sugar: 2%
Salt: 2%
Instant yeast: 1.5 %
Olive oil: 5%
Water: 66%

This is all based on how much flour you use, so if you use 100gnof flour you need 2g sugar, 2g salt , etc.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

I have not, I assumed the oven wouldn't cook it properly.

It won’t unless you have a really long cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Of course there's a pizza thread, I should have known there's a pizza thread.

I feel like my main struggle with pizza is figuring out new toppings to try. What're folks' favourite combos? Caveat: Must be appropriate for dropping on top of tomato sauce and cheese, pizza bianca is a war crime.

My favorite as of late has been hot giardiniera and sausage. The acid from that is amazing on a pizza, and technically it’s carrots and cauliflower.