Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

The Good, The Bad, The Weird: Three of Koreas top actors are in it, so it's a good one to watch first. Check out the trailer on youtube, it's a really fun movie.

Is there a way to check what netflix has without signing up/being in USA?

Great movie...where many get violently murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Rock-afire_Explosion/70218315?trkid=2361637

The Rock-Afire Explosion

Remember the Robot monsters that gave you the creeps while you ate lovely pizza at Showbiz Pizza in the 80s? Want to see people bring these horrors back to life and talk about them like its the greatest thing ever?

Not since Tideland have I felt more unsettled by film.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 22, 2011

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Philo posted:

Trailer Park Boys - low budget Canadian comedy about a bunch of guys who live in a trailer park (never would have guessed from the title) and the poo poo they get into. I remembered seeing a thread for this on SA a while ago, and then I saw that it was on Instant and decided to give it a shot. At first I couldn't figure out what/why I was watching, but then it became one of my favorite shows of all time. Seriously. If you haven't seen it yet give it a shot - I binged through most of it in 2 days after having my wisdom teeth removed and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Its the Always Sunny of Canada. Look out for Bottle kids.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

First off, whoever recommended Take Shelter it was excellent thank you.
Sadly not on streaming atm.

Secondly,

Thanks a bunch Netflix I'm not a fan of your suggestions.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'm surprised Take Shelter made you that angry about it. I thought it was a entertaining character study with good direction and acting all around.

Ghost Dog is a real fun movie to watch as well. One of Jims better films.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Man a lady vanishes is weird. It's almost an ensemble comedy for 20 minutes.
The a potted plant falls and tension, intrigue, and its baby cousin LOOMING WWII, strangle your nerves and throw sanity into question.

Slick direction and honest war fears turn a tale of a missing person and frames it in a voyeurs dance with danger. More films need to be stuck on trains.
I'm looking at you, Avengers II.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Careful with The Chaser, it's great and your not gonna feel great when it's over. Its in my Grave of the fireflys bin of movies that are excellent and I wish I could forget scenes from.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Terrorvision is one of the greatest nightmare inducing horror comedys of the 80s.

Flash Gordon Serials are a fun look into dedicated actors wearing refurbed hawk wings and shower drapes like a second skin.

Evolver is a film where a toy robot gun learns TO KILL

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Any non-War grandparenty acceptable interesting shows to suggest?
NETFLIX does a great job hiding more then three things in any given subject.
It feels off that there is only like one ocean documentary and wildlife documentary.
Took some serious delving to find Terry Jones's show.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Just found the Fry show. Excellent stuff. Thank you for reminding me that Pailin had a great show too. I don't care how they do it get back Ghibli HD movies.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Grave Encounters was astounding. Haven't seen a movie start with 1 hour of aimless ghost foreshadowing then try and go into 8 different directions with little reason.
It's as if someone made a movie out of 8 1st year film student films about spooky hallways and someone knows how to do a smidgeon of CG.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Resurrect Dead was wonderful. Don't google it just set aside some time and turn it on. My college had quite a few of these around it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Over the Top
Still the greatest movie about a delinquent trucker/arm wrestling dad trying to win back the son he forgot from an uptight military school.
I don't drink but I suggest you do when you watch this.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

And what part of Seven Samurai do you think drags?
I have a friend who said Avatar is modern day Citizen Kane in the middle of class. Is this him? I can recommend everything Kurasawa in HD is like rediscovering Film.
And those who recommended the Legend of Bigfoot, thank you. It's the worst investigative documentary I have seen. It's like a political hit job cept replace the politicians with Sasquatch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Thanks for the recommendation on Lake Mungo. It has issue with red herrings with little reasons and some general weirdness. Otherwise above average creepy presentation and only one scene making it a pretty bad choice to watch with family. But man that scene. Oops.
Mighty Peking man is also on the stream now too. If you like the schlock that is Shaw Brothers and thought, I wish they made a 500 dollar King Kong your in luck.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Chaser is Dark with a capitol D. Schedule playtime with kittens after it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

The greatest film of our generation and a true tragedy that it is no longer on netflix.

:v:

It is all OK though. Same director way worse movie.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Last_Godfather/70140537?trkid=2361637
Getting past the 5 minute mark took more courage then I had for my wisdom teeth removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVgHq3vVIQ Oh look its Harvey Keitel and Jason Mewes?
I honestly suggest never watching it no matter how big a fan you are of D-Wars.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ultraviolet is a brittish mini series about how modern day vampires would be handled by brittish gents and dames. I am two episodes in and hooked.
Think more Sherlock and less dr.who and your in for a treat.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ghost Adventurers should be renamed Spooked Aspburgers. If you ever wanted a "documentary" with little to no processes shown as to how they reach conclusions, you are in for a treat. Its like watching American Pickers without a script.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Collects Welfare posted:

So, what you're saying is, it's a....uh...

Actually, what are you saying? Is it good or bad?

If you think that American Pickers is quality reality TV and that ghosts are real and seek out fat losers with neckbeards that hang out in the dark, this is quality.
If you think that History channels investigations into bigfoot and ufos are lacking and hilarious this is more of that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Stake Land was a much more atmospheric and well paced story then it's cheesy title would let on.
It's a well acted story about a pair of survivors moving north in a world overrun by mindless vampires. Thanks to a solid musical score and decent character development, I was sucked in.
I would rate this one of the best surprises Netflix gave me this year.
However thanks to a measly 5 minute section of film (people who have seen know which part) I hesitate to recommend it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

George Jefferson cop
Plantation spooks oppose
Slave jests this Ghost Fever

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

SRM posted:

So it's Arrested Development?
If the cast of any E! reality show replaced them then yes. Bonus points for showing the stuffed dog.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Biographical Diaries:
Mark Twain? Check
Woody Allen? Check
Rock vs. Cena? Why?

I'm sure this is a million dollar question but is there a site that isn't filled with ADs and has a well sorted list of netflix films?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

V/H/S, one of the best Horror movies from last year, is now streaming!

Its not for everyone. I thought it was one of the worst films I have seen last year.
But each his own. It is a found footage film that tells several stories.
Many of which are filled with shallow unlikable people who encounter "bad things".
Its currently 50% on rotten tomatoes and I that seems fair as its a polarizing film.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Doesn't sound like the horror genre is really for you.

Which is weird because I like many horror films this one came off as boring and offensive. Human Centipedes, Saws, Friday the 13ths, are not for me.
Shining, [REC], [REC2] and even Slither are.
This isn't about me however this is about Netflix Streaming.
On that topic I just rewatched "Dreamscape" since my childhood. I don't care what the cool kids say, Dennis Quaid is more then a poor mans Harrison Ford. This movie pits him vs Plummer and its a old fashioned "slick off". Decent special effects for its time too. Thanks for the childhood nightmares snakeman!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

You all missed my Ghost Fever Haiku a page back and I let it slide.
Seriously though don't see Ghost Fever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I watched it after coming off a string of crap horror too.
Did Woman in Black, The Divide, then VHS.
I suggest a nice minty mind wash of seldom seen quality horror.
Rare Exports
It will take the dull torture that is those films and wash it away.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Wait are we talking about a mythical balance to nudity?
The Man Who Would Be Polka King mini review. So imagine a smaller scale Madoff ponzi scheme but instead of an investment firm its for a gift shop. Add trips to see the rad polish pope, beauty queen fraud, fatties falling asleep at the wheel, and polka music and you have this documentary.
Extra points to the director/narrator being in front of the camera in an empty bar drinking the whole time.
I would give it a B for story, and C for presentation.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I thought fringe's exclusivity was like super short.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57476938-93/amazons-streaming-exclusive-on-fringe-wont-last-long/
Not sure how much a short term wait will impact my streaming choices.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Christoff posted:

uh, am I missing here something or why hasn't Iron Sky been mentioned?

You know. That Nazis on the moon movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

So is it worth the watch? Like, in a so terrible it's good sort of way or what?

Its rare when a movie tries to be outrageous and hilarious. Look at all the Damon Wayans movies. If this was done with a serious effort to make it a "serious movie" I think it would have had a chance. Otherwise for this to be a good comedy they would have needed the efforts of the Southpark crew or Sam Rami.
As for myself this movie put me to sleep like Nyquil in under half an hour.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I agree, it's some of the worst written television I've ever watched and because of the girlfriend I have to watch it all the loving time.

This has The Cape level gold written all over it. (good luck surviving a whole episode)

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography was a well paced interesting documentary on Tony Hawks gang of friends. It made me hunt down the movies that they made.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm watching Ghost Protocol now. I really enjoyed MI:III. This one doesn't seem as "big" as I remember III being, but it has been some years since I watched it so maybe I don't remember correctly.

Its still good though.

That is what I thought too it made double what 3 did domestically.
Its Brad Bird's first live action movie. The plot is a weak, but he did a great job with it. I love this MI more then the others because it doesn't feel like Tom Cruise is the only competent agent. Oh that and the action and pacing is moves at a great click.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I suggest watching Mission Impossible 2 three or four times a day alternating with Hard Boiled and The Killer in-between them. Shut up little man was a fun study of neighbors from hell.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ghost Adventures is the worst of the lot. Its a howto guide for presenting evidence and never have it credibly checked.
After a short marathon, My friends and myself agree that if you have to watch one of the three Chuck Norris movies on NF, The Octagon is king.
If you love Commando style storytelling your in for a hilarious ride.
Chuck fights ninjas despite his insistence that they don't exist anymore. His sidekick is worthless, his girlfriend is daft, and his internal monologue is echoed. Ninja Terrorist training camp and its all american run of the mill trainees is a highlight. Enjoy.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Innkeepers was painful. Modestly well shot, above average casting, and frankly felt like Amy Poehler was in a old hotel. Decent chemistry between the two protagonists.
Here is where they screwed the pooch. They had cast ripe for a dark comedy, and instead forced the middle pages of a horror script in the middle of it. Then they forgot to have an ending with any meaning.

Lady with kid? Red Herring.

Has been tv Star? forshadowing and empty epilogue.

Old man? Worthless flavor.

Side story about internet site? Pointless.

Its a shame because I like the first half of the movie, its when the horror shows up the movie falls apart.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Remember that genres are just an imaginary construct for classifying movies to make them easier to sort into lists. The only thing that every movie on Netflix has in common is that they can be viewed on Netflix.

True. However these have been sorted most likely by a living breathing person and someone thought that Joe Dirt was a comedy. And that mistake could cost lives.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Hey now, "Ran 乱, Japanese for "rebellion", "uprising" or "revolt", or to mean "disturbed" or "confused"".
Its Always Sunny is pretty ran dudes.
I just had "you liked "The Thing, you might like C.H.U.D."
Just marathoned Downton Abbey I fully recommend it if you enjoy people being horrid assholes to each other thanks to succession laws and class warfare.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

See Mission Impossible 2 for this scene
http://youtu.be/AzIQg6Ly_Rw and you can see the impact that killed John Woo in the eyes of so many childhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

der juicen posted:

Well I watched The Last Excorcism. I have to say I enjoyed the found footage filming of it all.

Just gave it a chance too, only thing out of place is the music kicking in. Otherwise its an effective movie with very good performances from Nell and Cotton.

• Locked thread