Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

No sealab, birdman, space ghost, or brak :( This is the worst best day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It really does feel like I watched The Brak Show a million years ago.

I'm watching ATHF now and the first season aired in 2000 :pwn:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

redjenova posted:

That irritates me. I mean most kids' cartoons probably don't have a huge DVD audience but the show's on, I think, the fifth season? What's the hold up when stuff like that happens?

Releasing overpriced sets of 3 episodes is more profitable if the market will buy it, which parents and grandparents who know nothing about the show (or kids with no concept of money) will do.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

In addition to Perfect Hair Forever, I really hope they also eventually add 12 Oz. Mouse, which is hands down the best thing to ever air on Adult Swim with the possible exception of season 4 of Venture Bros.

I was trying to remember the name of 12 Oz. Mouse yesterday. That show was rad as heck.

Thanks for mentioning The Trial, btw, I somehow skipped over it in the list of new stuff.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Movies Starring Estelle Getty and Some Other Guy.

I mean, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot is more or less my favorite movie of all time...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pontypool's problem is that it's so into its radio show setting that it's hardly a movie at all, and thematically it's like someone was trying to write cliff's notes to 28 Days Later. It's really static and dull visually despite some nice acting and some very creepy ideas. It just feels like a better director could have done so much more with the same material.

Session 9 is just...it's alright I guess. It doesn't really make any sense, in that it seems to be saying that people do awful things just because. Both of the killers are motivated by little temper tantrums caused by physical pain, then dissociate from their terrible actions. It sort of flails about with some stuff about working class people and their problems, but none of it amounts to much. It also looks like a TV show with a couple of inexplicable first person/found footage kind of shots.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Netflix reminds me of Hemlock Grove all the time (obviously, I'm sure it does everyone) and some other show called Dead Girl or something to that effect. This is only notable because the Netflix summaries make both sound like the producers were just really upset that Twin Peaks got canceled and decided to remake it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pinball posted:

I'm living alone for the next month and a half, and figured I'd make use of the free month Netflix is offering as a trial to fill up the silence in my apartment. The infuriating thing, though, is that Netflix doesn't subtitle a lot of its animated shows, like Archer, which everyone tells me is really funny. I'm hearing-impaired, so subtitles are pretty much a necessity. Apparently the company committed to subtitling seventy percent of its offerings by the end of 2011, but it doesn't seem like they've managed it. Do you guys have any suggestions for subtitled comedies or documentaries to watch?

Archer is subtitled. I'm watching it with subtitles on right now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pinball posted:

That's so strange! I don't even have the option, and they're not listed on the show's profile for me. It's like they don't exist. Is it possible that it's because I'm living in Ireland at the moment?

Yeah after I posted that I wondered where you were living. I'm in the US and can't even remember the last thing I watched where I didn't have subtitles as an option. It's weird that it would be different but that's the only thing I can think of.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

priznat posted:

Yeah I've stopped watching the US version because everyone onscreen is such a jerk. The producers seem a lot more interested in "drama" than actually fixing restaurants.

In this sense the show is a scam, anyway, because almost all of these restaurants are too far gone to save by the time the show films them. Look them up sometime, it's probably conservative to say 80% are out of business now. Even if the uptick is business from the show continued, they're usually tens or hundreds of thousands in debt by that point. The food industry is super unforgiving :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

axleblaze posted:

It's pretty terrible, yet I keep watching it :( It's amazingly fake...yet, as I just posted, I guess he get okay results.

I think he just picks places that aren't in real trouble. The only restaurant I'm familiar with from the show, Del's in Pittsburgh, has always had a solid flow of customers and is alright I guess. It's nothing special but I'm pretty sure they just did the show as a publicity stunt. They do have awful service though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

foodfight posted:

Its more about contrasting the controlled death scenarios in both movies. Cabin in the Woods is like a bad nerdcore song with its references. Its sort of thrilling to see the references but that is the extent of their function, simply reference.

I don't think that's fair. Cabin's references are clearly there to make a statement about horror films, their audiences, and what horror can/should represent. It's just a dumb, bad message presented in a hamfisted and stupid way.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samfucius posted:

Cabin in the Woods rules, ignore the people who seem to have over-thought themselves out of a good time.

I was sort of offended by this at first but then I realized that the implication is that the only way to not find Joss Whedon funny is to think about it for a minute, which is completely fine with me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Discount Viscount posted:

Heads up, these two are going away on May 1st, along with a bunch of other stuff that happens to be in my queue.

A lot of those will probably get renewed, but as far as I know there's no way to tell which ones.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

Oh wow, really? Learn something new every day. By this point, I honestly forget that she's voiced by a dude half the time (same with Bob's wife).

Not like this is a new or rare thing, Bart Simpson (and half the other male children on The Simpsons) is Nancy Cartwright, who was nearly 30 when the show started.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

by the end it seems all an academic exercise without any meaning, depth, or real character growth.

If it has no meaning or depth, what's it an exercise in?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is the copy of Shane on Instant in the right aspect ratio? I know that can be complicated question with films from that period and I just turned it on earlier and it was full screen. Maybe I should ask this where Penismightier is guaranteed to see it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

penismightier posted:

Oh hey bruh just looked back on this thread and caught this. That's a big fight now:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2013/03/shane-aspect-ratio-conflict/

The movie was shot 1.37:1, but the studio with the blessing of the director's son have backed 1.66:1 in that tired jackassey fight against pillarboxing they always get into. It sorta sucks but I don't really think it's a very big deal, the headroom gets a little tight in some shots but the framing's never really ruined.

Cool, thanks!. I haven't seen the film since I was a kid watching Westerns with my grandparents, but I didn't want to watch a butchered version.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pick posted:

I didn't like Cabin in the Woods. You led me wrong, thread. <:saddowns:>

Hey be fair, any time it comes up at least a few people point out that it's actually awful, ugly, and unfunny with a dumb message and a lot of incoherent imagery.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david_a posted:

I watched The House of the Devil which I'm pretty sure was recommended earlier in the thread. I was a little bit disappointed by the ending only because the tension had risen to nearly unbearable levels before that; the last 20 minutes are, by contrast, far more plain straightforward horror stuff. I'm not sure the story makes much sense in retrospect though - why bother shooting Megan? Why the elaborate ordeal of a drugged pizza if they're just going to tie her up later? . Still, pretty effective and a good movie to watch at night with the lights off :unsmigghh:

A) Because Meghan would be coming back later in the night to pick her up, thus endangering the entire ritual. Also they are evil and B) because they're just an old woman, and older demony woman, a crippled old man, and a single dude. Given that even after being drugged and tied up, Samantha fucks them up and kills most of them, they probably had the right plan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

isomerc posted:

Well that's quite the assumption, isn't it.

Not really? I often do other things while "watching" TV, but I wouldn't pretend I'm really paying attention. TV is visual, if you are looking at something else you are definitionally not paying attention.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Khorne Flakes posted:

Finally watched Requiem for a Dream, one of those movies that everyone else has seen but could never take the time to watch yourself. I honestly had no idea what it was about other than people always quoting it for the "rear end to rear end" scene. It was pretty good, but it's so hard watching these kinds of iconic movies a decade or more after everyone has spoofed them or ripped them off. I watched Equilibrium a few months back, and it was the same. Having heard that stupid Requiem theme song about a million times in the past 13 years did make quite a few of those scene unbearable, I mean, did they need that theme song in every emotional scene? I swear it played ten separate times throughout the film.

Actually, part of the problem is how neither of those films are very good to begin with. Requiem is by far Aronofsky's low point and the worst example of him letting his creepy regressive politics out in a film, and Equilibrium is largely embarrassing.

Samfucius posted:

It's Wes Craven making an amazing John Carpenter movie.

One of my absolute favorites.

I had a big argument (not really) with a guy once about how this was not, in fact, a Carpenter film when we were trying to think of all the films in his unimpeachable 70s and 80s super run. You're right though, it almost is. It doesn't look as good as even a lower level Carpenter though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Well, I am gonna defend it here - the lead character (I couldn't tell you what his name was) seems to understand that he can only think of things in terms of advertising not only because of his profession but because his life is inundated with the stuff, which is why he makes a clean break. Everything after that, you're kind of on your own.

I gotta think it's an off-handed reference to:

http://exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/

And nothing in modern US literature comes closer to ICP than Selby’s Requiem for a Dream, a sadistic 280-page Chick tract disguised as an avant-garde heroin novel. In his ‘99 preface, Selby attacks what he calls “the Great American Dream,” the evil, illusory pursuit of pleasure and possessions that “ultimately… destroys everything and everyone involved with it.” This is the novel’s Puritan core – all ‘worldly’ pleasures are false and drugs always lead to the worst fate imaginable. Requiem has an Evangelical stink right from the schmaltzy dedication page: “This book is dedicated, with love, to Bobby, who has found the only pound of pure – Faith in a Loving God.”

Selby also plucks an epigraph from the book of Psalms (“Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it…”) just to drive home the (Calvinist) point that human beings can’t do anything for themselves without a Higher Power. He illustrates this by shifting the narrative between four characters: a junkie named Harry, his token black friend Tyrone, his Jewish mother Sara, and his model girlfriend Marion. I guess this is meant to show that addiction is a universal condition, affecting all the Unsaved: young and old, male and female, Jew and gentile, black and white. (Except it’s not true – few things are more relevant to the consequences of drug use than money and skin colour; sometimes they’re more relevant than the drug itself.)

While Harry and Friends are feeding their smack addictions, the mother starts amphetamines to drop a few kilos, convinced she’ll soon appear on a game show. Within three months, she loses her mind, undergoes ECT (an extremely unlikely treatment for speed psychosis, even in the 70s) and spends the end of the book as a drooling vegetable. Meanwhile, Harry’s girlfriend Marion suffers a fate worse than death. (Having to work for a living, basically.) As for Harry himself, he loses an arm. Darren Aronofsky, who directed the film version, calls this “a very traditional heroin story.” No, Darren, it’s a loving depressing heroin story! What kind of sick gently caress would write a novel about a one-armed junkie? An Evangelical, that’s who.

and so on.

Pretty much. Glazov is way over the top there, and it's not that Requiem is a bad film all in all - it certainly looks great, at least. But it's like the definition of specious - it seems totally with it, until you think for a few seconds and realize it's just a drug PSA filmed by a brilliant director. By comparison to his other films, it's an absurd and laughable waste of his talents. Ames and Levine are now writing/editing for nsfwcorp, by the way, which has been pretty great so far.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bolek posted:

Did you read his screed against David Foster Wallace?

It's the same article.

efb

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah what the hell man? The subtitle system before was great, I picked up so many whispered lines that were lost before. The new ones are nigh unreadable, super ugly, and I just turn them off.

There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement of the change online and no one else seems to have noticed it.

It's not effecting everyone. People in this thread have been noticing theirs going back and forth for a month or so now. Who knows what's going on?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david_a posted:

Hellraiser II is a wonderful 80s sequel. Dumber, grosser, and with a scene that should have been among the greatest things ever put on film, but sadly wasn't. Chanard v Pinhead I do love it for that awesome sleazy-80s-horror-grainy-film-stock vibe. :allears: The very last scene is really loving stupid, though.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it's "dumber". I think it's far smarter in terms of marrying its themes to its narrative and characters than the unfocused original.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say smarter/better than the original, but it's definitely hugely above average for an '80s horror sequel.

Yeah I think we've had this argument before - I think the first one is really weird, because in a movie about obsession and the transcendence of experience, no one is obsessed with anything or gives a poo poo about sensual experience except the female villain. Even the male villain is all tell, no show. He just acts like a generic bad dude. The second one gives the main character a real motivation and uses the first film's superior secondary villain as it's lead and that helps a lot.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Really cool movie. I want to see the sequel, but goons seem to hate it and say avoid at all cost.

No it's actually great and several people here like it a lot (yo Hundu). It's a good movie and it's even funnier than GE, which is a fairly funny movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Well then I'll check it out! The original is awesome and hits all the ghost hunter show tropes very well. I was hoping of more of the same. Thanks!

It's not more of the same in that it isn't a parody of ghost hunting shows, it's more like a parody of their fans, and a black comedy about the relationship between artists and the art that they create.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

in_absentia posted:

Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm the one in the wrong, but Maniac simply a film that didn't need to be remade.

Who cares about need, dude? It's not an insult to remake a film, like the previous wasn't good enough or something. Ideally, it just means the filmmakers feel they have some other things to do with the concept.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hola Unblocker still doesn't work for me, even after cancelling the DVD option. :(

I guess the billing info carries over if you switch from DVD to streaming only.

I dropped my dvd service when I moved to China specifically for this purpose. When I first got here streaming did not work, when I dropped it it began working the next day. Not sure why it isn't working for you but I don't think that's it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PreformedSoup posted:

Ya, I've been struggling with this one. I tried showing it to a few friends and the general reaction was "This is stupid. Why would anyone watch this?" On the other hand, I have yet to see anything quite like it.

Holy heck get some new friends. Four Lions is amazing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chichevache posted:

Blackfish is probably my single favorite documentary that I have seen this year. I don't watch too many, unfortunately, but I can't imagine anything topping it so far. The first 20-25 minutes are probably the most harrowing I have seen in any documentary, ever. It took me close to 3 hours to watch an 80 minute film, because I had to keep pausing to catch my breath and calm down. I would recommend this to everyone I know and I firmly believe everyone who has Netflix should watch this film as soon as possible, it is an incredibly important current event that we should all bear witness to.

It's been a good year for documentaries, you should at least check out Act of Killing and Leviathan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

A Red Dawn remake would have been badass if they just said gently caress it and straight up changed it to like the Taliban invading, and the Wolverines start out as a small fringe group blending in with the civilian population and emphasize attacking from the shadows, with both groups escalating as death tolls rise.

But like, way more subtle and gradual. Just keep building until you get to this point near the end of the movie where the audience is cheering for the wolverine's suicide bomber to get just close enough to General Badguyington to take him out.

(I mean, yeah, Inglourious Bastards already did this mostly, but it'd still be cool for Red Dawn)

Have you seen Battle: LA?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Nope. Sounds like I should check it out.

Battle: LA is basically what you're describing with aliens as the US military and the US military as Iraqi insurgents.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Actually you know what American Juggalo reminds me of? A tent revival.

As a poor white person from one of the great poor white strongholds, West Virginia, I knew a lot of Juggalos growing up and saw a lot of revivals, and the total lack of overlap between the two demographics is really telling. Like, whatever you think of their claim that they were totally subversively selling God, ICP ended up slotting neatly into that same niche so that almost no one felt the need for both. And there are no ironic or half hearted Juggalos, in the same way that at a real revival everyone is just swept up in the genuineness of the thing. There is no Juggalo equivalent of "Young Life" or teenage youth group where all the kids get together and talk about Jesus then go snort coke at a party that weekend. No one is down with the clown part time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but for anime, a lot of people in this thread recommended Mushi-Shi on Netflix. I just checked and it's not on US Netflix anymore.

Not a fan of anime in general, but I thought I'd go back and watch the original Dragon Ball series for nostalgia and to see if it held up. I've been watching it at this website which has every episode in great quality. It's also uncensored. I had no idea how sexual this show really was, and every episode has Goku completely nude and showing off his child dick. I mean, the show's good and fun, the animation's held up, but they make a big deal to hide female nudity while child nudity is prevalent. :wtc:

Nudity of children is a lot less inherently sexual than nudity of adults, at least for most people.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yikes, I don't think I could stand to watch a feature length Chris Chan doc. Speaking of fandom docs I'd like to see one about Homestuck, since I legitimately have no clue what that whole thing is even about.

I think the reason there aren't many films about body snatchers, dopple gangers, etc. nowadays is because a lot those stories were fueled by Cold War paranoia about espionage and the fear that 'the enemy is among us'. You'd have to find a creative way to reframe it to make it seem more relevant to today's socio-political climate. Also it'd probably be more psychological thriller than horror.

Meanwhile zombies remain popular because people like to fantasize about being able to kill a bunch of other people and not feel bad about it.

The Faculty makes it about something very different and it rules. They Live! is also basically a pod people movie with the reverse message and is probably like, the best movie?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Deakul posted:

I recently rewatched Chinatown, LA Confidential, and Sin City and was wondering if Netflix had any movies that would be considered noir? Searching noir doesn't bring up much except... Pokemon shows and other irrelevant crap.

Antiviral is a great neo-noir, in addition to being a sci-fi body horror film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The ultimate expression of the shitposting urge: dump on an entire genre that you either don't watch and therefore don't know anything about, or watch a lot of and are therefore an enormous hypocrite about. Do it in one sentence, smugly cross your arms.

• Locked thread