Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Christoff posted:

I've seen it mentioned to skip the 2nd season. I don't know who said it but I'm loving it. The fist episode of the 2nd season had me on the floor.

I don't know why anyone would say that. The second season is great. I can't imagine someone seeing the Guttenburg episode and telling everyone not to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Watched The Parking Lot Movie and my god what an unlikeable group of people. Just a bunch of mid 20's to 30's guys who hadn't grown up yet or worked a dull job before. I understand they dealt with frustrating people, but I'd hate to be stuck in a room with most of them. So much anger from high school.

The movie had nothing significant to say or show, and the fact that it even exists is a great example of embarrassing self importance.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 20, 2012

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Safe Driver posted:

I really got a kick out of this. Pearce plays the biggest smart rear end in the universe, he just never stops making quips.

I ended up really enjoying the movie because of him. It's not just the quips but how he says them and physically moves. Guy Pearce embodies the smart rear end action hero on every note and I love it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

In a similar vein, there's a Frontline special on streaming called The Suicide Tourist that follows a Chicago man who travels to Switzerland to end his life (I don't recall exactly what illness he has). It features a scene very similar to one you described in your spoiler that is as depressing as it is uplifting. It explores the topic of assisted suicide with a pretty even hand, so I'd recommend it regardless of your stance on the topic.

Thanks for making my roommate and me cry for the past hour.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Samfucius posted:

I always lump Mystery Men in with Rat Race in the genre of 90's as gently caress ensemble comedies. Both involve Smash Mouth credits, too.

Rat Race ends in a loving Smash Mouth concert. That's important to remember.

Well not important.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Barbarella is pretty much cheesy sci fi and "Isn't 60's Jane Fonda hot?", but it works because that's true.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I'm sure most of the people who read this thread have watched it by now, but if you haven't watched Warrior you should. This weekend.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Herzog's interview of the Killers justifies that awful bands existence.

I hadn't heard of this until now. It's still cracking me up ten minutes after watching it. Whoever paired Herzog with them was brilliant.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Oh, and everyone should see Short Term 12. It comes close to being the best film from 2013 I've seen so far, only just behind Blue Jasmine.

I finally saw both of those for the first time a week ago, and no one was exaggerating how good they are.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Oracle posted:

The War was really good, but man it will make you sympathize with all those old people who really loving hate the Japanese. Even the non-731 atrocity poo poo they did is loving mental.

My grandmother is one of the sweetest, well read, intelligent people I know. But man she still hates the Japanese.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

There are enough hilarious, ridiculous, moments in True Blood to make it worth watching. However, I'll admit I haven't gotten around to seeing the last two seasons, and I have no idea when I will. There's a lot of great TV these days.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

StickFigs posted:

Can anyone recommend a good comedy movie on Netflix or in general?

Stuff I've seen and liked:
- Shaun of the Dead (And the rest of the trilogy)
- The Big Lebowski
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
- Weekend at Bernie's
- The Naked Gun
- Airplane
- Snatch
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

All the "TOP COMEDIES!" lists and sites are full of movies that aren't even remotely comedies for some reason.

Top Secret is very much in the same vein as Airplane and The Naked Gun.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

The Cremator (1969) is on Hulu Plus and is terrifying despite the fact that it is gore/shock free. Watched it last night for the first time and went to bed right after. Was completely and totally emotionally drained from it. Very interesting editing style and a must-see performance by the lead.

Thanks for this suggestion. Loved it even though it completely killed the mood for a bit.

It's not perfect, but Rudolf Hrušínský's performance, and the transitions and general direction make for an engrossing movie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Detention was everything I had hoped it would be.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Love and Death, Sleeper, and Take the Money and Run were three of my most watched movies as a kid, wore the the tapes out kind of watching. I've come to realize that kind of appreciation is really hard to break. Girlfriend is going to have to deal with a lot of Woody Allen this week.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

After watching Only God Forgives I was really surprised by some of the negative reaction it got. It's a beautiful movie.

I did a double feature with that and Beyond the Black Rainbow. I was drained for the rest of the night and next day.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Definitely. But I do think some people were just expecting another Drive instead of another Refn movie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I'm still a little perplexed by Stretch. It has elements I like, and scenes I enjoyed, but the movie as a whole feels undercooked. Or overcooked I don't know.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

outy posted:

I think New Girl might be the funniest TV show I've seen in years. Brilliant character-based absurdist humour. It's so well written that they even managed to get a Wayans to be funny.

Comedy is subjective, so I'm sure there are plenty of people that hate it passionately, but it's given me a lot of proper belly laughs.

Damon Wayans Jr. was fantastic in Happy Ending too. There was a reason New Girl immediately picked him back up.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I understand why people like Outrage but I thought it was really dumb and pointless. There's no reason to care about any of the characters beyond criminal archetypes that you like.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I was about to say that Boyhood was really good but then I realized I was just combining him with Linklater and that's really loving generous. I'm annoyed my brain even tried that bullshit looking at their filmographies next to each other.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Turfahurf posted:

Enter the Void is really amazing but it may not resonate with you if you haven't done psychedelic drugs. If you have, it's probably the best cinematic representation of the experience that has been done.

See I've done a lot of psychedlics and I quit because they became boring for me. I think that's why Enter the Void doesn't work for me. I see it, and think I've been there before.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Well for some odd reason you didn't really get into them. You don't "get" drugs so obviously the film doesn't work.

No I loved them, and my life is better for them. But like anything you grow past it, and Enter the Void just hit me at the wrong time in my life.

The League has some great seasons, and a large majority of the jokes have nothing to do with football.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

You must be a hoot at parties.

They don't go to parties.

• Locked thread