Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

After not touching my Unifi Dream Machine for a few weeks, I tried connecting (through web and local interfaces) to the control panel and it wouldn't load. Everything on my network was still functioning (access to the internet, routing, wifi, etc.). I tried letting it sit to see if it'd work itself out, but I soon heard the fan spinning up. I pulled the plug to restart and everything went back to normal.

Is this a known issue? Could there be a specific cause or anything I can do to prevent it in the settings? I purchased the UDM under the hope (dream?) that it'd be rock solid on the stability front.

I have a new computer with an Alcatel 4G LTE modem/router combo. If I don’t use the new computer for a day or so it loses the network even if I’m constantly using it on my laptop. It only happens if I am on my newest computer after a day or two of no activity. Occasionally when my Dad tries to watch the Apple TV box (generation 4) something happens to my modem’s SIM card that deauthorizes it. It is easily rebooted and everything works fine, but this never happens to any other system no matter how many open connections I am running. Three computers, one Apple TV (gen 3), and a RPi 0W plus 4 iPhones and two wireless WiFi extenders work fine all day, but as soon as he flips on the tv box it kicks the Alcatel off-line due to SIM “going bad.”

I know it sounds like a lot but I haven’t had any ISP trouble at all, and only the gen 4 gives this problem. Any technical/software problems with the Alcatel or generic modem/router combos networks? I’ve got no complaints and my ISP only works with this specific Alcatel setup, so I can’t just get something else.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have a quick question before I go to start assembling my home network, which I’ve never really gotten correctly but I want to try for the hell of it.

If I get PiHole (on a RPi 0w) working right is it going to conflict with my properly configured NextDNS setup? From my (basic and maybe dumb) read, they both do the same thing. Sorta. At least from the DNS perspective. Also, if I want my network/router to do DHCP internally, I don’t need to have a static, internet-facing IP, do I? I found a good set up guide (The Lazy Admin) and have the parts and pieces here today, and I’ve followed this thread forever and feel confident I can handle this unless I skipped the pages that already answered all questions (the OP is good). I’ll do my own research, but sometimes you folks are more open/timely than Google because of specificity and, hell, goons are really good at goon problems :glomp:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

That Works posted:

What's this Lazy Admin guide?

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/best-home-network-setup/

quote:

In that spirit, is there a good recommended reading list (website or book) for someone to educate themselves more on home networking in general? I know a decent bit about some things, and nothing at all about others so it's often hard to see how all the pieces fit together when I can understand the acronyms and jargon just fine at some points and then they become gibberish at others. Reading around for advice is usually way too low level, or way too high level or just trying to sell me something.

That’s the same way I am. I can follow general guides and videos (just yesterday I got remote connection to all five network device in my bedroom through Google Remote Desktop; easy and fast, but feels like “cheating” :ssh:) I dunno what I dunno.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Buff Hardback posted:

PiHole and NextDNS are kinda tricky to get working together. You can use NextDNS as the upstream for PiHole, but that means you don’t get any details on NextDNS.

Another option you can do is use the SSID limiting on the NextDNS apps to say “use network provided resolver on this wifi and use NextDNS out and about” and match your blocklists across PiHole and NextDNS.

And no, you don’t need a static IP for DHCP.

Kick rear end, my dude! Thanks (n00b for sure here, but I got everything you said just gotta get in practice!”

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Anybody know if there was trouble with t-mobile Internet or even something broke in either a Win10 or Intel patch? My internet has been down since 8ish CST and all my equipment seems not just fine, but great! My home network (3 computers and a couple of iOS devices) is fine, but I get zero connection over the internet itself at all.

Also, if anyone knows a site or even app to check this in the future I would appreciate it. I don’t know enough networking to search Google correctly, and it’s likely someone here would know a good source!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My home is on a 5G unlimited plan, and I have an Alcatel Linkzone 2 as a mobile modem/router. It’s connected to my computer via virtual Ethernet by USB 3 because it also charges that way. My room is the only upstairs room.

I would like to share the signal through a basic mesh WiFi, because as it is now the signal works for my parents downstairs in the living room enough to watch streaming stuff, but not strong enough for their bedroom where they have 2 Apple phones and an Apple TV box. They can connect, but occasionally get kicked off or deal with a lot of buffering. I am asking for a decent solution with maybe a couple of units (only 2) that they won’t have to try to do any configuration with save for occasional power outage or normal “unplug>wait>plug in” sometime.

My house gets by, but almost every morning my dad complains he’s on LTE because he has no WiFi connection. I almost never lose the signal upstairs, and our house is about 2000 ft/sq. I’m not asking for bottom barrel price (the Alcatel works for me, and it has a 16 device limit which we only ever max at around eight or nine devices at the same time but normal is 6 devices), but I don’t need enterprise hardware (or wired) solutions either.

The op isn’t up to date, so what do you Goons who love this stuff as only a true professional can suggest. Ease and reliability are the most important to me. Thanks for advice, my 5G modem must be part of it even if it could be better because my ISP has special waivers with the FCC about rural broadband in rural areas, and the T-Mobile cell tower is about two miles north-east of my house :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

KS posted:

You have limited options here since it's such a niche setup, and it's tough to make something that's not convoluted. None of the mesh options I'm aware of do USB tethering to a cell modem directly. You can put an additional AP behind the router, but it'll burn another device off your limit. You can tether it to something like this and put a mesh system behind it. Could likely do the same with an RPI or small computer. You can get an SMB targeted router that does allow USB tethering and add standalone APs.

Yeah I’m aware of the nonstandard setup, it’s one of the reasons there aren’t 100 how-to videos on YouTube and I thought to just ask here. My network allows two 720p streams on Apple TV, three computers, and a RPi 0w, but I am noob enough to not want to try to gently caress up something that works great for me but doesn’t stay online reliably for the Apple TV and two iPhones downstairs. I have an older TP-Link router, but it doesn’t seem to help and the 4G/5G modem/router fades out on the downstairs devices seemingly at random even though my own vEthernet/wireless upstairs stays up all the freaking time. They have zero complaints about speed or bandwidth, but virtually every morning I come down (after checking my devices in my room are on) the first sound I hear is “we don’t have Wifi.”

All drivers and updates are applied, all devices in the house are fully updated and legally activated.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Biowarfare posted:

I use one of these https://store.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s-ext-gigabit-travel-router as the tether point for my 5G modem, then plug that into a normal mesh or regular network like normal.

That looks like it would be fine for us. I am a total scrub at this stuff, but I can keep my computers and devices up all the time and updated, and the 5G Alcatel works for the house, but the signal does drop (only downstairs) and is only fixed by rebooting the modem which I’ve almost gotten in the habit of every morning anyway.

Appreciate the link!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Biowarfare posted:

If you don't actually get full 5G speed, a ~100mbps $20 one would be enough (they're the yellow gl-inet cubes) probably. I'd order off amazon if you're US because gl-inet's store ships from hong kong with multi month lead times.

If the signal "drops" it might also be your alcatel completely disconnecting from the network for whatever reason. I know my 4g alcatel linkzone has an inactivity timeout where it just turns off?

Yeah I’m not sure, unless it is happening while I sleep. I never drop of of anything or device unless I get some random win10 hiccup or power outages, but my folks’ phones are bumped off a working network almost every single morning. I may have some more questions after tonight (raining hard, parents’ WiFi working but their Apple TV is not connecting reliably. Only bandwidth right now is three iPhones and their tv box. Main pc is running an offline virus scan so not using the direct vEthernet at all. I’m gonna do a deep dive after supper, and try to figure out what’s up instead of chopping up fools in Nataka: Bladepoint all night long,,,

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

RoboBoogie posted:

I would see if the Alcatel can be plugged into a router over usb . similar to these instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FjpBiYiXo

i have the rt68u from asus and it has that option to add a usb modem which i could do with a franklin t9.

Not able to watch the video atm, but I know my old TP-Link Archer does not have a USB port, and my Alcatel doesn’t have an Ethernet port. What I do know I have in my screws/adapters/cords drawer is an Ethernet>USB adapter. Lemme watch the video later and I’ll let you know if this helps downstairs!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

devmd01 posted:

Gotta be honest that’s not the kind of video that usually helps downstairs.

You don’t know me, pal. I was on Usenet, son, my tastes are eclectic…:agesilaus:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

withoutclass posted:

Seconding NextDNS. Considering how cheap it is, it offers a great value without the time investment of setting up a PiHole, and has the benefit of following you wherever you go if you set it up on your mobile devices.

This was also why I switched. $1.99/mo is worth it to play Pi-Hole pretend at home and out in public on a device or laptop.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SamDabbers posted:

What sorts of people do you invite over anyway?

I kinda wanted to ask this, too. If some strange pervert (like a Bitcoin enthusiast) was close enough to use my Wifi I would probably chase him away with my BB gun, not serve him a contract.

Are you like head of IT at Attica?
:colbert:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kreeblah posted:

Plus, it was fun to do. :shrug:

The best reason to tinker and configure and optimize! I should’ve been a gnome…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

tehinternet posted:

#firstworldproblems, but I had the privilege of paying $120/month for 1.2gigabit down, some fraction of that upload. And then another $50 a month for unlimited data! Thanks Comcast/Xfinity, you’re the only option I have that’s not satellite! :smith:

Basically gently caress Comcast and go to anyone near their speeds because they’re awful.

The fun thing is we have 10 homes on our 4 mile long street that have been praying collectively just to get Comcast to lay cable from its current terminal point to our road. Our choices are cellular or satellite. Even motherfucking Dialup doesn’t work. 56k won’t stream YouTube, but our 1920s-era copper wires will not even push 28.8K reliably! And many of us have horror stories about the practices of 1st/2nd gen satellite providers. I downloaded an Ubuntu ISO and our house was throttled to unusable bandwidth for 13 days. For just under $100/month. And it was 2down/0.5up with a minimum latency under perfect conditions of 1000ms. Many, many really fun games with multiplayer , and later no-physical media downloads were straight up impossible. My GoG library is full now of games like Mass Effect-supposed to be fun, but I never had access to what many well regarded games from 2005-2018 because of data caps. Skyrim was great because it was a DVD with no DRM, and later on the (smaller-sized) mods kept it fresh. WoW was ok for PvE, but it took 10-12 months for me to learn how to stealth and backstab in PvP because you had to psychically predict the placement of your moving foe 1.5 seconds in the future! Always on DRM for single player PC games (Splinter Cell: Conviction was the worst!) made games unplayable for months until they patched it out due to sales and returns.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hughmoris posted:

Have you looked in to Starlink? Seems to be a great option if available to your area.

I haven’t had to yet. The cellular 4G LTE signal is plenty which all 3 adults for a couple of months used direct tethering to AT&T service on our iPhones. Now, I have 22down/10up through an unlimited plan with T-Mobile and the 5G tower is less than a mile from my house, basically a coin flip between us and our nearest neighbors. I don’t have a 5G phone, but will buy one when they turn it on full time in a few months. It will be nice! My dad is willing to pay for Comcast IF they offer, and he knows I want whatever they might bring wired into my room. I set up a mesh network we use now, and am able to keep it secure-ish-ly managed much better than him.

If Starlink gets as good as promised we would look into it, but three years of satellite internet (with admittedly older tech) have us very cautious!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

thiazi posted:

I can’t comment on other satellite tech, but Starlink has been rock solid at my mother-in-law’s house for the 4-5 months she’s had it. Excellent speeds, easy setup, no big outages.

That is good info. Tbh I didn’t even know SL was a realized and functioning company yet! I remember seeing talk when Elon Musk apologists were gushing over it, but completely missed to fact it was past prototype now! I’ll look it up to see what’s up!

Edit:

Azhais posted:

I get almost 30 up! It's very exciting!

My cellular gets 25-35 down relative to time of day, but the absolute lowest it’s ever hit is 17 down w/0.52 up lol). According to the company stats from my T-Mobile internet provider there are less than 30 households using the 4G LTE signals around us, and the 5G is going to practically all mine from 9pm ->9am. I don’t sleep for days in a row, so this is great specifically for me. Even if we do get good service if Comcast shows up, my plan is to keep the 5G and use it portably or if the power goes out (laptop lasts forever with a new battery from Dell). The cellular modem/router is plugged in all the time for a USB3 virtual Ethernet connection and its battery lasts forever too while running the laptop! As long as the tower isn’t ripped up or outage was longer than 4-5 hours we’re fine (if tower is gone that close to us I would have things on my mind besides “No internet!”).

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Azhais posted:

The biggest thing you're going to find out is they are, like everyone else, slayed by logistics issues and have a months long waiting list for equipment

I haven’t moved to Win11 yet.
I am looking forward to a Steam Deck, but only in a year or two with (hopefully) a decent price, minimum bugs, and no queue availability. The stuff about Starlink looks great, but the whole GPU hunt means I don’t want a repeat. My internet is sufficient for everything I do besides multi-gig game/software downloads. I start them late and the largest (a 42Gb Windows restore) was ready before coffee the next morning.

Believe me, to avoid stress it’s better just to be content for a while! :angel:

Edit: I don’t do WFH and can help run Dad & I’s business from a secure cell phone. It’s mostly paperwork and emails anyway, and 4G is plenty for our needs. I admit I would probably feel different if I was still married with a kid and actually needed hardware instead of just wanting the upgrades. It may take a couple of years to settle down, but I’m still glad Starlink’s first steps look promising and the Steam Deck is not vaporware anymore :D

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 24, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Inzombiac posted:

So I had my doubts about a mesh network but installing the TP Link Deco system was extremely easy.

This is in my basement, the furthest point of the house.

My office went from 20 to nearly 400Mbps. It's even higher in the living room near the modem.

It’s funny my (extremely) rural 5G unlimited plan has actually been LTE since last November, which we were aware of before subscription, but the brand spanking new tower has been testing the 5G band randomly and for longer periods at a time recently. Since the tower is less than a mile through some woods from home, and we don’t get any messages about when testing is, I’ve gotten to be more lax about big downloads. I’ve been collecting Linux isos like I own a data center, and my OS m.2 is getting full because I’m actually storing modern games instead of play/delete cycles. I dunno if it’s microwaving my brain, but Control is a fantastic bit of fun even though my eyesight keeps me at 1080p/60. It’s crazy all this stuff that’s available all the freakin time, even just downloading stuff while other people are downloading stuff! At the same time!

This mesh poo poo (TP deco, too) is unbelievable, and didn’t even offer me the opportunity to gently caress something up. Our house isn’t big, but solid enough to interfere with our (required) ISP modem/router’s signal on the 5G band. Now my folks are stuck on Downton Abbey and I may never see them again…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, that's correct. And if your mesh devices have the option to use wired backhaul, which many do, use that.

The difference in my modem/router combo’s WiFi and wired directly (via virtual Ethernet USB 3…usb charges & connects through the same 12” wire) is amazing. My laptop, older computer, AppleTV, iPhone, & iPad are used in the same room, but are half the speed of my main computer’s wired speed. It’s all just fine and speedy these days (especially when the signal is 5G instead of LTE) but file downloads and streaming really show the differences.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Pre ninja edit: C/P of my post in the Homelabs thread, but more appropriate here!
——————————————/

DerekSmartymans posted:

I stopped running a pihole and just pay >$3 month for NextDNS unlimited queries. In a house with 12 devices or so (including tablets, phones, and laptops for 3 along with streaming server and a desktop) always online I’ve been nothing but happy with not having to deal with configuration and replacing micro-SD cards on my RPi 0w!

The main reason I posted this, though, is because even though I had my pihole working fine I saw it brought up ITTin the Homelabs thread just now. Am I losing out by outsourcing my DNS service, even though (I think?) that’s all my pihole was doing anyway? Am I losing some functionality or type of security by letting an outside entity provide the service? I don’t run any VPN or anything either, and the cost for NextDNS is negligible monthly even on a fixed income.

Edit:
Another quick networking n00b question: I have Wireshark downloaded, but haven’t really looked into it as far as working to learn how to use it. Would this be overkill or even necessary for a small home network user to learn? As far as I know I’m not part of a botnet or even particularly a target with valuable files. Am I overthinking security needs for being online in 2022?

I’m a very basic Linux hobbyist, but I follow links/YouTube instructions gud!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gallatin posted:

I can second this, I setup a set (2) at my mom's house and it just works.

Thirding . My parents have a separate network than me (both included with our separate cellular plans, unlimited covers 4G LTE modems as part of our plans), and although my router reaches downstairs, Dad recently weaned off my network (no wireless extras extensions necessary because my network is confined to my room upstairs) and got his own. The downstairs is about 1800 sq ft and his two TP Link Decos set themselves up and have a solid connection in every room now. Very, very low (no) maintenance and no tweaking besides admin/SSID changes for security needed and the Deco app is very friendly!

As a separate question, his network is unlimited AT&T and mine is unlimited T-Mobile. Both are spec'd at 25 down/7 up but they don't even have a computer down there. Two tablets rarely used, two iPhones and an AppleTV always going. I have a desktop (wired) a laptop, an AppleTV, and both an iPhone & iPad 4th gen that pretty much aren't used much on my network because of options. His network has full power for me upstairs, and we have thought this weird edge case up: Is there a way to "borrow" his network with my desktop, basically to allow my wired modem/router + his strong mesh Wifi at the same time? They go to bed around 10 every night, and because of medications I rarely sleep more than 2-4 hours a night. It's also really the only time I play games or download large files, so they don't need any bandwidth but the occasional single iPhone's Wifi and I could actually use an extra 10-15 Mbps after they check out and I'm up playing. We both have truly unlimited data without any throttling ever, but they are separate carriers. Will "bridge mode" on my Win11desktop's network be able to do this, preferably easy to configure one time and be easily turned on and off manually? Win11 allows bridging, and it is easy to create an actual desktop shortcut to activate the bridge, but I'm not a network master and would like to be able to bridge/not bridge manually if possible. It's fine with him, we both pay the same every month regardless of data amounts, and as long as he can use eBay/email/web while streaming Netflix unbuffered at 1080p he doesn't care one bit. Is this possible without having to buy hardware or set up every night and reset my network every morning to stop? I simply don't really understand bridging networks because it's never been possible here before December '21.

For shits & giggles, could I bridge my iPhone hotspot (AT&T) via USB with my T-Mobile cellular modem/router, which is sorta the same deal?

How about bridging his cell-based mesh (AT&T) + my cell hotspot (AT&T) + my cell modem (T-Mobile) via my Win11 desktop? Dad is the one who wanted me to ask that, but I figure if one complete network can bridge with another, how far can you ride this train :lol:? It's just theory, and I will try to research specifics and methods myself (learning it sounds neat anyway), but I didn't want to waste hours today failing with Google if I get a firm "Not possible, dumb-rear end!" from a goon or ten who actually know this stuff. It was an interesting discussion yesterday while smoking cigars and finishing off a 15 year old single-malt no matter the answer, we just don't want to buy anything or gently caress up our user experience now that everything runs smoothly at our very rural location (we still don't have cable TV lines on our road, hence 4G LTE/5G systems to work with).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cyks posted:

It sounds like you are asking if you can hypothetically take three 10mbps connections and download steam games at 30mbps. The answer is no*

What you are looking for is bonding. I’ve heard of Speedify being a VPN that supports it but I have no experience with the service. Otherwise you’ll need your ISP to bond the connections, which doesn’t sound like what you want to do and won’t work with multiple providers.

See, that’s why I asked first before doing research myself beyond “remembering something I saw offhand in Win11 while manually configuring Network settings” last October. I will, just for learning’s sake, read just about anything featuring networking because I’m fascinated by computers and connective-ness in 2022 and am not pressed for time :smugdog:

Bonding sounds niche, but that’s part of the fun of learning more about it. Thanks for the help; long-rear end question but I tend to overexplain for clarity reasons. And yes, 10+10+10 was exactly what Dad and I were clueless about because we’ve been exposed to the words “network bridge” by my sister’s husband, but never even had WiFi in the house until late 2019.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 31, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My T-Mobile modem/router (4G LTE Franklin T10) only has one input, a USB-C. Do they make some sort of adapter that would both:

1) Allow me to keep it charged/powered, and

2) Let me run the USB-C to an Ethernet cable to use my stronger-signal TP-Link Archer router which can connect to my desktop via Ethernet cable?

Basically, the T10 only has one port, and I want to both keep it powered/charging and use it through my router, which is old but strong, yet doesn’t have any connections besides power and Ethernet ports in&out. I don’t mind playing with its and the TP-Link’s configurations, but am sorta at a loss for what terms to use for looking it up. I have a simple USB-A=>Ethernet adapter, but it’s -A and the T10 is -C…I really don’t want to Franken-adapter multiple pieces and figure there must be something available all in one that would also keep the modem charged while I’m at home.

Also, I have a RPi 0w I ran pihole on via my previous 4G LTE modem, but any hub/switch/adapter/etc that would let me connect ‘em all at once (but still stick the modem in my pocket for going out some days) would be great…size and cost aren’t really a problem, as I don’t need it desperately to function for working or anything. I just thought it might be fun to fart around with and if it was necessary to get something weird or relatively rare/expensive I’ll just save up for Christmas!

I just really don’t want a -C to -A to Ethernet string of adapters unless that’s the only option…at which rate I’ll just connect my T10 via USB-C cable to my computer and live with it. That works, but I hate missing my pihole and being able to use my own internet downstairs because of a weak signal. I just figure somebody has figured this out already and built a gadget, but don’t know what gadget to search for!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thank you so much for that response…it really walked me through the reasoning and I appreciate that!

I’m enough of a nerd to want to squeeze a few more mb from my connection, but also dumb enough to know when to let it go and simply be happy with what I’ve got. It may shock some here, but 15d/5u and true, actual unlimited data are orders of magnitude better here than we’ve had available since 2007. I may take a few hours to download “Death Stranding” on Steam, but 99% of the time I can play Eve Online and watch a 1080p YouTube video at the same time so I’ll just deal with it and be happy. That answer was definitely what I needed to hear and it saves me from starting a 3 daisy-chained-adapter electrical fire to boot :science:! Thanks again for the :effort:!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

lignicolos posted:

I had pretty much this exact this same problem earlier today with both opnsense and pfsense as the router. Began around 11am EST fixed itself around 4pm EST. Still not sure what happened and I can’t find anything online about DNS issues today.

:same:

But with T-Mobile and AT&T internet both…multiple networks just hosed-up slow-to-nonexistent DNS woes. Nothing on internet (which was weird because of the southern US weather) but family all over the country (Washington state to Chattanooga) said the same thing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have two separate cellular internet connections (very rural TN home). I am running Win11 on my desktop. Is there any way I can “dedicate” certain connections to certain programs, as on (for example) one only using Steam and using only the other for Qbittorrent?

I’m not talking about channel bonding or combining the connections, just some Windows native or third-party (even paid) application that would do this?

I share the downstairs internet with my folks, and don’t want to be downloading a game/patch/whatever while my dad is on Netflix and mom is watching Facebook videos or whatever it is they do online. I don’t care if it takes configuring or slows me down, I just don’t want them to buffer or hiccup during the day/evening because I want to try out Arkham City or multibox an MMO while they’re awake.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

M_Gargantua posted:

Doing Dual WAN balancing and traffic management at the router is easy and pretty standardized.

Ok, this gives me some terms to research. Thanks for the help, guys, about the dual-WAN port routers and such. I don’t mind figuring stuff out, but I also needed a point in the right direction to start! I just don’t want to be downloading a game on Steam and have it make the other rooms get lovely internet for TVs/phones on Wi-Fi.

The internet connections are a T-Mobile home internet base station (finally got 5G turned on officially yesterday) and a 4G LTE T-Mobile Franklin T10. I also have a RPi 0w and older Debian laptop that are available in my family’s tech museum (my attic closet) so if I need other equipment I should be ok while learning. Considering that we’ve been running the house off a 4G signal for 5 years (2 of them actually tethered to the desktop via iPhones!) with satellite and dial-up before that, this is literally life changing. Both connections are true unlimited, too.

We have the base in my room upstairs, with one (of two ports) Ethernet line connected directly to my desktop and one to a TP Link Deco base station, with three Deco mesh stations downstairs. We have excellent coverage even on the back porch, in the garage ,and under our cigar smoking tree. All our IoT stuff is set and forget to the mesh 2.4Ghz band, while all users/devices are on the 5Ghz side. I’ve been downloading poo poo and watching 1080p YouTube videos all day! Those of you with fiber or cable or whatever gigabit don’t know how envious folks can be…especially as one coming from a ‘00s-era suburban cable connection post-divorce to 28.8 dial-up in the rural South. Being able to download a 12Gb game demo on Steam just because I wanted to try it out before maybe buying it feels good, man.
:getin:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

M_Gargantua posted:

Considering the use case is two mobile cellular stations, even gigabit capability is just overkill future proofing.

The 5G hits 70Mb down, and on a good day the 4G LTE internet hits 4Mb down (over USB-C), so “gigabit” is slightly more than what I’m going to see 🤔.

Turns out my TP-Link Deco base station can be set up as a pfsense router if I turn it on Router instead of Access Point. Sense we’re all set up now bathing in dozens of Mb of Wi-Fi, I’m simply not going to mess with anything right now (at least until my folks go on vacation and I can gently caress around with internet by myself!). QoS and all that such is in the menus for router mode, but I’m letting the 5G base station handle routing for now.

I did change “VLAN packet priority” (or something near that) to Disabled. My Win11 desktop is now connected via Ethernet from the 5G station and WiFi from the 4G LTE pocket modem (via two separate pieces of internal hardware). I also downloaded Network Manager from Sortbyte and will try to set up Load Balancing when I get home (phone posting). It’s supposed to work, anyway, but if I run into any problems I’ll check back.

Without the “Load balancing” term to google I’d have been lost, so thanks again. I can look into loving around router-stuff when I’m the only one at home to deal with my own (inevitable) screwing it up!

Edit:
Downloaded the 103Gb Mass Effect: Legendary Edition last night while playing Warzone2 with my son. The 21st century internet is a joyful place! 😎

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 14, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Network Manager by Sortbyte worked. I downloaded Vermintide 2 (80ish Gb) and once configured the load balancing worked great. Much better response than Speedify’s virtual Channel Bonding. Both the connections run with bandwidth monitoring showing the LTE connection contributing when downloading a big file and my dad watching Paramount+ on his phone while Mom does whatever you do on Facebook these days. Thanks again, outdated OP thread!

Now to see if I can get it configured today to work well with NordVPN running. :filez:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Would I be able to use an old x86 quad-core intel/8 gb RAM laptop as basically equivalent to a QoS-capable, pi-hole-esque ad blocking router? I ran pi hole on a RPi a couple of years ago, and have a bit of newbie tinkering with Raspian/Ubuntu/Debian, so figure some flavor of Linux in a container(or bare metal)…the laptop isn’t in use but it is currently wired via Ethernet from a T-mobile 5G base station >TP-Link Deco mesh> laptop configuration. The T-Mobile base station is directly connected via Ethernet to my desktop, but I’d like to Adblock at a single point for the whole house/QoS to always make sure downstairs has enough bandwidth for 1080p streaming even when I’m online.

I can follow instructions or guides, but would appreciate a tip(s) or even a few keywords to Google for myself while I’m stuck away from my desktop Granny-sitting for the rest of the day! Happy to run the laptop w/any OS and wired in any series, just don’t want to mess up with the TP-Link because everything is actually working now-just wanting to try and get an even better-but-seamless experience for my folks.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nerox posted:

My ISP is dumb though, my choices were 200mbps for $80/month or a gigabit for $110/mo.

Sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

If you're really concerned about privacy then don't use a computer/the internet.

:hmmyes: