Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't have much to say on the issue, other than I don't get offended by any jokes. Jokes are not meant to be malicious. Tosh's response wasn't particularly funny, but it didn't bother me either. Rape jokes are not endorsements of rape. Being anti-rape jokes seems to me an endorsement of censorship, though.

But I think these should be included for fodder in the discussion:

Patrice O'Neal talking about rape jokes on Fox News:
http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=33772&vote=up&comment_id=223471

Anthony Jeselnik: The world is full of horrible things that will eventually get you and everything you care about. Laughter is a universal way to lift your head up and say: ‘Not today, you bastards.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

indigi posted:

Well you seem to be an idiot, then.
Have you read Ovid, or the Bible, or Burroughs?

I guarantee you will find much more despicable poo poo in those books than you will in a Daniel Tosh stand-up set.

Also, you seem to have ignored every other point I made, nor did you even give a reason for your disagreement.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Space_Butler, thank you for articulating the things that I don't have the inclination, patience, or intelligence to do.

indigi posted:

Practically nobody rushed to the defense of Michael Richards for doing, quite frankly, a less intense version of what Tosh pulled. Cause he used the word "friend of the family." Nobody in the audience for Richards' show, hecklers and non-heckling crowd members alike, felt threatened. He didn't say "wouldn't it be great if it were 1924 and we could just kill these niggers?" and if he had the backlash would have been 100x worse. What Richards did was much more of a joke than anything that's been reported on the Tosh situation. I don't remember comedians coming out of the woodwork shouting about freedom of speech and censorship and all that.

Actually, Richards said to the heckler, "If this were 40 years ago we'd have you hanging from a tree with a fork up your rear end."

I find what Richards did to be way, way worse than what Tosh did. Tosh made a joke. Richards made a personal attack. I don't think what Tosh did was funny, but there's no way you can say he wanted her to get raped right there.

Have you seen the episode of Louie where the lady heckles him and he says "I hope your oval office mother dies." That was a joke. It was funny. A lot of people laughed.

Another difference between Tosh and Richards is: the audience's reaction. People got up and left, and Richards was shamed to the point where he had to leave the stage before his set finished. Like Space_Butler says, if a joke is offensive, or unfunny, then the absence of laughter is what is called for. If it's truly horrific, like what Richards did, then people will get up and leave in droves.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 12, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Here's just an anecdote about another offensive joke and how a comedian handled it:

taken from another forum, because I couldn't find the actual bit to transcribe it myself:

quote:

Anthony [Jeselnik] tells a joke about suicide, only to be met by a dead silence in the crowd before a gentleman stands up and says "Great Barrington is the suicide capital of the country, that's not funny."

Anthony ponders for a moment on how to react and realizes he has 3 options.

1) Apologize and say he had no clue, otherwise he would have never told that joke. Not really his style, A[n]thony decides.
2) Point out the obvious. Everyone in Great Barrington, MA should move.

Eventually Anthony decided to go with option number 3, so he looked out upon the crowd and said... gently caress Great Barrington, MA - the best thing about it is that the suicide rate is a lot lower than it should be.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

indigi posted:

edit: also, that Jeselnik thing is funny and clever. So is Carlin's thing about proving rape is funny. Nobody's saying you can't joke about rape, race, suicide, death, anything under the sun. "What if five guys raped you" ain't jokes, though. It's just him saying a mean thing and he's catching poo poo for it. No big deal.

Alright, well, then I misinterpreted what you were saying. I don't think what Daniel Tosh said to her was funny, but I don't find it to be controversial either.

Groucho Marxist posted:

How in the world is telling someone that you wish they were gang raped not a personal attack?

Because it was said 100% in jest.

Honestly, do you really think he meant it? He was just tossing the subject that offended her back in her face, because she interrupted his set.

Part of Daniel's character is insulting the audience. He calls his audience idiots on a weekly basis on his show.

Here's another Jeselnik comment, this time directly about the controversy we're discussing, via Twitter:
"This Daniel Tosh rape joke controversy really has me second guessing some of my rapes."

escape artist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 12, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Maarak posted:

Maybe it's time those traditions get reexamined. Way past time. The issues inherent in Tosh's thing aren't specific to stand up comedy, but to our cultural in general.

What do you mean? Like, could you elaborate? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just looking to understand you better.

Sporadic posted:

Here's Mitch Hedberg, of all people, telling the crowd to "pumble that oval office"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZpT9PbJF8&t=51s

When a rehearsed performance (that's pretty much what stand-up is) is interrupted, you can't expect the performer to be graceful in their handling of the heckler. It's awesome when they can but most of the time, they just want them out of there so they can continue.

Here's Godfrey dealing with a heckler when he brings up rape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbKDO2HTXg

These are beautiful examples of why the lady, in her self-righteous indignation, was wrong, and Tosh, even in his un-graceful response, was right. Thanks for posting.

A comedy show is a listening show. It's not a forum. Sometimes comedians will banter with the audience, but you let the comedian initiate it. Otherwise, you're being a disrespectful, not just to the comedian, but to everyone who paid to see the show.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 12, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Chromatic posted:

I myself was sexually assaulted/molested several times as a child(I've only told one other person about it) and don't react out of anger at molestation jokes. Example being that I've heard comics touch on(har har) the Sandusky case and have laughed at some of it. Part of it is I think that dark comedy is actually a source of comfort and laughing at it kind of neutralizes/remedies the pain that I got over and the weirdness of it I still feel today. It's difficult to explain but it feels like it gives me a little power back. Also, I know that when comedians make jokes like that, I know they're not personally making fun of my situation.

Would I feel different if that lovely thing never happened to me? I have no idea but I do get a little pissed off when someone(you and maybe 1-2 others in this thread) comes along and flat-out tells me I'm a bad person for finding humor in serious and disturbing topics. Who the gently caress are you to tell me I'm awful in what I can and can't find funny? Nobody should ever blame someone for not having the same sense of humor I do on sensitive subjects, but there is 2 sides to every debate and both of them can be just as valid.

This and this. You said it better. I almost brought it up, but then almost didn't-- I was also sexually assaulted as a child, but I still don't get offended by those jokes. I don't take it personally. I know the comedians don't intend it personally. They're loving jokes. They're not glorifying the subject at hand. Laughing at those subjects is a way to take the power away from them, especially when it comes to people like myself, and you, who have been the recipients of and endured the horrific acts.

Chromatic posted:

I do get a little pissed off when someone(you and maybe 1-2 others in this thread) comes along and flat-out tells me I'm a bad person for finding humor in serious and disturbing topics. Who the gently caress are you to tell me I'm awful in what I can and can't find funny? Nobody should ever blame someone for not having the same sense of humor I do on sensitive subjects, but there is 2 sides to every debate and both of them can be just as valid.

Exclamation mark.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 12, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DannoMack posted:

ANYWAY, I bought it but I haven't been able to psyche myself up to listen to it because I'm kind of a pussy.

You don't need to psyche yourself up for it. Pretend you're actually at the show and you have no idea what's about to happen.

Also, you can hear Louis and Tig talk about it on NPR's Fresh Air episode from Monday. Tig is on for 28 minutes and Louis is on for 18.
http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

And I don't know if it is relevant to the conversation (dick-waving argument) here, but Tig talks about what a difference it was moving from Denver to LA, in terms of the comedy scenes.

DangerDummy! posted:

My favorite thing Sam Kinison ever said was that Whoopi Goldberg was popular because the whole world got together and decided not to hurt her feelings.

And, yeah... That's about it, I guess.

I don't like Kinison either but that... is hilarious.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Stanhope is the best comedian to see live. You MUST go.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

Who do you think the unfunniest comedian on Netflix streaming is, excluding the obvious Mencias, Sinbads, and Larry the Cable Guys. Ralpie May? Russel Peters?
Is Gabriel Iglesias on there?

I think Ralphie May is quite funny, honestly. And I'm a huge stand-up snob.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
New Jeselnik special, premiering on CC-- 1/13/2013, being released on DVD 1/15/2013!!!!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anybody into Sheng Weng? I've only seen about 30 minutes combined from a few of his sets, but he's consistently hilarious. Hope he gets his own 1-hour special soon.

Also, for those that don't know, Anthony Jeselnik is getting a 1-hour special on CC-- it's airing in January, and will be released on DVD a few days later.

Al! posted:

I just watched a few minutes of Kevin Nealon's recent special on Netflix and :stare: I know he wasn't always the funniest dude but now I can best describe his act as coked up dadjokes. What happened?

I don't ever remember him being good at stand-up. Weekend Update and character acting is where he excelled. A few years ago, I was so excited for one of his specials, and turned it off because of how bad it was (possibly the one you saw).

There's something charming about Jimmy Norton always taking pictures of himself with famous people. He's reasonably famous, but he still gets off on meeting celebrities whose work he enjoys, just like any one of us would. :allears: One thing I could have done without was his story about his threesome with Ron Jeremy.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 12, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Maarak posted:

Comedic actors turning to stand-up late in their careers is practically a tradition by now, and they're not getting any better at it. People will pay to see a name they've heard before, even if that person has never been known for stand-up comedy.

I'm not doubting you-- but what are some examples? I think of Bob Saget and Kevin Nealon off hand.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ah, well, thanks for the clarification re: Nealon and Saget. Michael Richards is definitely a prime example.

edit: How about fuckin' Steve-O?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jyrka posted:

Steve-o's rap career is way funnier than his comedy.

Ironically? Or legitimately?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

That's just his appearance on the Stern Show, and he was obnoxious as always. What's a good song or two to give me a decent sample?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
TJ Miller and Don Glover are legitimately solid rappers.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ariza posted:

That's loving hilarious! I've got Glover, but I never would have suspected TJ Miller's big goofy rear end and weird loving voice. It'll take a minute, but I think I could get used to it.

Yeah, he's got an album on Itunes. Doesn't even sound like himself, either, when he raps.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I got into an argument today with a moron because I named like 12 good stand-up (female) comics, and 6 or so good (female) comedic writers.

He claimed I thought every comic ever was good.

Despite naming at least a half dozen (female) comics that I can't stand.

Utter moron.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Just off the top of my head since I think the post was deleted: Notaro, Silverman, Schumer, (Morgan) Murphy, Peretti, Garafalo, Garfunkel and Oates, (Joan) Rivers, (Kristen) Schaal, Leggero, Bamford... the good ones, of course.

Crappy would be: Wanda Sykes, Ilisa Schlesinger, Whitney Cummings, Sandra Bernhard, Chelsea Handler

I'm not even counting comedic actresses or sketch comics or writers, either. I could add to both lists with them.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

who's your crawdaddy posted:

Where would Jackie Kashian fall for you?

Not familiar with her work, so I can't make a decision, but I've heard good things

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

FitFortDanga posted:

Sandra Bernhard owns, you fail.

I like Wanda Sykes too.

I got bored with Garfunkel and Oates very quickly.

People should dig Paula Poundstone more.

Your age is showing, Marty ;)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Politicalrancor posted:

Anthony Jeselnik is still good at standup, I can confirm.

Is he doing all new stuff? In other words, a new set from what was on Shakespeare? I know he's got a special premiering on Jan 13th. So I hope it's mostly new.

He also has some 30 minute show coming on CC in February.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Amy is brilliant. But it's definitely a dealbreaker if she has not come up with new material since her latest special. Even Mostly Sex Stuff had a lot from her debut album.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I read that on his Facebook. Good for him.

Anyway, came to the thread to post a few things:

Comedy Central has a huge chunk of Jeselnik's Caligula On Demand right now, as well as 17 or so minutes of various clips from the Kroll Show. The Kroll Show looks surprisingly hilarious, and not one of the sketches featured his annoying on-stage personas. There's a skit about a high school for disabled kids in Canada that really impressed me. (I'm disabled myself, so that should speak to the quality of the sketch... I don't take kindly to cheap shots.)

edit: Dammit, I'm wrong, it's just Jeselnik's CC presents. That's okay, I'll still watch it and laugh at the same jokes I know by heart. He and Doug Stanhope are my two favorites-- I can listen to them tell the same joke over and over and I will laugh more and more each time.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 9, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Plant Kingdom posted:

I cannot stand Todd Glass' show for the most part. All the madness with the sound effects and stuff grates on my nerves. The Doug Stanhope one was perfect though.

Wait, what? Did Glass do a Stanhope impression? I'm confused. As usual.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jeselnik's new set Caligula premieres on CC tonight!! at 10pm and 11pm Eastern, in his words "in case you miss something the first time from laughing too hard."

I'm excited!! He's rocketed to the top of my list of favorite new comedians.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I was looking forward to this for a while and it didn't disappoint. The first joke was one I'd head him tell before, though I'm not sure if it was from a previous special or if it was in a podcast episode somewhere. Everything else was solid new material, I'd give it a 9/10 overall.

Yeah, I thought Shakespeare was better, but only by a slight margin. For me, it was 100% new material, and I loving loved it all. I loved how he got a standing ovation before he even said a word. The dude is my favorite new comic of the past 10 years, up there with Louis, Stanhope, Marc Maron and the other indisputably brilliant comics. Plus, he's really goddamn handsome. Tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, dark sense of humor... Hitler's ideal son.

However, I didn't quite get the Caylee Anthony joke at the end-- I'll admit, I was not sober, but I rewound it and watched it again and didn't understand it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Was his niece, instead of is. Because she's dead.

Now it's funny because I explained it.

It's still funny. I was seriously halfway into dreamland when I was watching it. I'm going to watch it again and it'll probably stay on my DVR until I get the extended DVD version of it. I remember he spoke on a podcast, saying that there actually a bit about the emperor Caligula, but I don't remember it being on the broadcast version last night.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 15, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Apoplexy posted:

My favorite bit remains, "Giant cross nailed over a girl's bed; dad got a big gash in the back of his head when it fell."

That was brilliant.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I re-watched Nick Kroll's stand-up, knowing that it wasn't going to be traditional, and holy poo poo I enjoyed it way more than I did before. His new show on CC is fantastic, which is what made me reconsider the stand-up special.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It was pretty uneven, because his character work is fantastic, but his actual standup is kinda generic and forgettable. He said on KPCS that he's most comfortable when he's doing his characters and I think it shows.

A character-based sketch show is probably the best format for him. I know a lot of people aren't gonna get it, as evidenced by all the dumdums in TVIV, but I think it's funny as hell. More reasons to not listen to anything TVIVers (except us, of course) say about comedy.

I actually like his (non-character) stand-up a lot. And when he's doing himself on the show. I was literally eating pizza combos when he said "a cats rear end in a top hat looks like a pizza combo"... It was hilarious and gross.

Yeah, I think the show gets better with each episode. Doesn't hurt to have Chelsea Peretti and John Mulaney on as writers. I'm really starting to love Bobby B. Sometimes I even mentally respond to things in his voice.

TVIV may not like it, but it got renewed for a second season two weeks into the first season, and it is getting great ratings.

Can't wait for Amy Schumer and Anthony Jeselnik's new shows.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Chromatic posted:

Quoting myself because I found out that this is for a documentary Andrist and Stanhope are putting out at a later date called "Groomed". From the teaser/trailer, it looks really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fbdU785ns

That's going to be great. Very brave of Andy Andrist.
(I was also a victim and things like this really help me because, it may have been 20 years ago it but it still affects me and I've not lived a fulfilling life because of it.)

I actually just had to send him a message of support on Facebook, told him he's my new hero.

Re: Kroll Show

Gil Faizon will be on tomorrow's episode. Speaking of which, has anyone seen John Mulaney's stand-up (live, I mean)? I saw him back in September 2007, when I had no idea who he was-- he was opening for Patton Oswalt. He was spectacular. I was sitting in the first row, dead center. He made eye contact with me a lot through out the show, probably because I was laughing and clapping so goddamn hard.

I need a chocolate cigarette.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 6, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Berzerker posted:

That's my worst fear. When I saw Todd Barry, he did it to the woman directly behind me and at first I thought he was talking to me and I turned as red as a tomato.

It's my worst fear too. When I saw Patton Oswalt, he literally pointed to a guy sitting next to me. I was front row center. And John Mulaney constantly made eye contact with me (probably because I was laughing at all his jokes before he got to the punchlines, because I was familiar with a lot of them.)

Also, I finally heard Jeselnik's Caligula uncut and it has about 10 minutes of extra material that is fantastic.

"People always tell me that the worst thing about air travel is an infant on the plane...

But I can think of four instances when a baby on a plane was awesome.

They all happened on 9/11."

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Congratulations for popping your open mic cherries, guys. I have a good deal of material written but I'm not personally a fan of all of it-- I need to make it stronger.

At the end of the day, if I think my jokes are funny, then I could go up, perform in front of a dead silent audience, and feel accomplished and proud.

It's inevitable that you're going to "bomb"-- just comes with the territory. Whether or not you let it keep you from getting on stage again, is the determining factor. And the more you do it, the better you'll get. Really, the only way to work out kinks and make your jokes the best they can be is to work the material in front of audiences.

Every successful comedian has bombed multiple times in their career.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Shovelbearer posted:

In a weird way I look forward to that first bomb. Will signify the end of beginner's luck.

Plus it's humbling, and it's a necessary way to thicken your skin, in a profession that requires thick skin.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Have you guys seen The Unbookables? What'd you think?

Andy and Sean are my favorite. I actually saw Brett live a few years before the documentary came out. The crowd treated him like poo poo and I had to tell some drunken strangers to shut the gently caress up because I wanted to hear the jokes.

Any other work by them I should check out, or similar comedy documentaries?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

drat, Amy Schumer canceled her tour date in Orlando, and I just got the automatic refund on our tickets. It was kind of an expensive show, but we were still psyched to see her. I wonder what happened.

Oh goddammit. You and me could have hung out at the show.

Motherfucker.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Do you ever go to comedy stuff in Orlando? I saw Jim Gaffigan at the Hard Rock and Josh Blue at the Improv last year, but I hardly ever go out anywhere or do anything anymore.

No, because there isn't a lot of comedy stuff around here. Last person I saw was Doug Stanhope in 2008.

Seth Meyers was in town earlier this week but uhhh... I don't like him. Paul Mooney did four shows in town last week, and I found out the day after he did his last show. :(

I love live comedy though. It's so much better than watching it on TV or listening to an album (which is still amazing). You can't match that electric atmosphere.

I've seen Todd Barry, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt and John Mulaney, back in September of '07. Within a week of each other. Every one was great.

I might just start going to the Improv to see random, no-name comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

I'd go once in a while, but I'm on the far side of town from it. I believe the Drunken Monkey coffeehouse on Bumby has a stand-up open mic night, and there's also the comedy club in that hotel off I-4 on West Colonial (downtown) that sometimes gives away free tickets. I've gone to SAK a handful of times, but I'm just not as into the clean improv comedy they perform.

I've traveled to see Louis CK (Tampa last fall, and I just happened to be in Baltimore the same night he was there the year before), and I caught Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and D.C. Pierson at the South Beach Comedy Festival last year. Back in Gainesville in the late '90s, I was lucky to see George Carlin (he was still awesome) and Bill Cosby (long past his prime).

Good lord, dude... I just checked ticket prices for upcoming shows. Amy canceled her show, right?

Bo Burnham is playing at the end of May, for $30.

Daniel Tosh's shows at the Bob Carr start at $73 a piece. I wouldn't pay that much to see any comedian.