Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

rdbbb posted:

It's like a dream cone true. :swoon:

But seriously, this needs to be subbed and on my Hard Drive yesterday. So looking forward to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Egregious posted:

"Can you say it with some flair?"

D J I

Dear lord, the Bomberman episode WAS great. New episode to put near the top of the recommendations list.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Phuzzy posted:

Got any other good Arino-Kachou for my avs

In addition to what Heran Bago posted, there's also these that I made for the last thread. They're all from the Challenge eyecatches, aside from one. I really need to get around to making more of these with the episodes since Kid Icarus.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Just got The Sword of Musashi episode. I've got some business to take care of first before watching it though. Gaming Business.

Oh yeah, I actually jsut recently got my 3DS, and wanted to get in on that GCCX Swapnote Stationery. Here's my 3DS Friend Code for whoever can help me out.

2449-4749-1808

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

The versions I have are at worst a higher quality than the stream (slightly higher resolution, much less artifacting since they don't have to go through Flash). However, I have been unable to find very few really high resolution versions of later episodes that necessitate a high bitrate and consequently a special high quality version.

But the guy who has been encoding the most widely available versions of episodes in the past year or so is, to put it mildly, loving incompetent. He encodes everything in Windows media format and uses a relatively low resolution. He broke Battletoads 2 into two videos for some reason; one five minutes long and the other 55 minutes long. In the middle of the Tenka no Goikenban episode he hits FF on his playback and doesn't notice for about thirty seconds and then instead of starting over he left it in (I still haven't been able to find anything other than his version and the stream version which means it'll have to be patched). If I can ever find a better source I'd be overjoyed but Japanese filesharing seems to be stuck around 1998.

I'd really just say that it's anything that doesn't relate to anime (and Tokusatsu by proxy) is stuck that far back. Albeit, some J-Dramas and K-Dramas avoid such a fate.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

zari-gani posted:

"About to ride Toy Story."

And other great pictures.

Do I see some great avatar material for some unsuspecting sap? I think I do. :allears:

But drat, those pictures are great. Especially the first Disneyland one. Arino's just so happy to be there.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Corridor posted:

To me it's "that bridge that's in lots of American movies, I think it's famous or something".

To me, it'll always be "At least it's not the Bay Bridge..."

Seriously, loving San Francisco traffic. At least the Golden Gate isn't TOO terrible with traffic. NorCal represent. :whatup:

Still can't wait to buy the hell out of those DVDs. I'll probably end up buying two copies. One for myself, and one to lend out to people that I want to show it to.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Liku posted:

My god this is so awkward due to their acting. Please tell me this is more of a comedic thing.

Also, was anyone from the GCCX SA team at Fanime this past weekend? I got a StreetPass from someone who's message said something along the lines of "GCCX Team" but didn't catch if it said SA or something else. I also got a personal message from a Japanese guy I passed a couple times apparently, anyone care to translate it?

"Tinyurl:GCCXTeam"

That was me. If only the restriction wasn't so short, I could have fit the whole TinyURL URL as my greeting. No harm meant or anything.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

taopriest posted:

At the moment my favorite segment is the "ABSOLUTELY TASTY SERIES". Warning: Some of their creations are really disgusting lol

Gaki No Tsukai-Absolutely Tasty Pizza 01
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfavc3_subbed-gaki-no-tsukai-absolutely-t_fun

Still have to watch the newest episodes provided here.

No matter how many times I see this, the Frisk Mint Pizza NEVER gets old.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

TemporalParadox posted:

Although I have to say that I tried watching some of the Kotaku Ninja Gaiden episode and found the narration very obnoxious.

We pretty much all did. Which is why we're glad that the upcoming US DVD release will have the original voice overs done by Producer Kan as an option for the Kotaku 12. Along with all the episodes' subtitles being (re-)translated by our team's own zari-gani.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Just to clarify a little bit the DVD Exclusive challenge IS Die Hard Arcade. That is, it's Dynamite Deka. If it was Dynamite Cop!, then it'd be a challenge for Dynamite Deka 2. Not to mention, it'd b a challenge on a Dreamcast if it was Deka 2/Cop.

Just making sure that's clear so everyone can look forward to seeing Arino play Die Hard Arcade, and not the one that takes place on a boat (Deka 2/Cop). After all, there is a difference (besides the boat).

:eng101:

...I kinda feel a bit odd posting like that. :smith: Well...I was a Sega kid growing up, so maybe it's just like a little bit of Kibe. :unsmith:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Ciaphas posted:

Today I was at Fry's and on the way out I noticed one of the machines Arino used on a tamage (wish I could remember which episode): the barber cut one where you had to position a very tiny blade to cut strings holding up prizes. It was a little surreal, considering I only noticed it when I heard the whistle-stop noise from the show :v:

Didn't realize those were on the American side of the pond, too.

Barber Cut machines are annoying as gently caress.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

It IS the Anniversary Collection. It has new Challenge Rooms like Return to Dream Land's. It also comes out next week in Japan.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Obeast posted:

Urakawa showed the ending after Arino beat Wart with Mari Papa by beating the game with the other three characters. It (spoilered for those who hasn't watched the Doki Doki Panic episode yet) wasn't a dream, but the kids did escape the book (AKA Subcon in Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA) they were trapped in.

The question was actually if Super Mario Bros. 2 actually had a True Ending like Doki Doki Panic where you had to beat it with all 4 characters, not asking if the True Ending for Doki Doki Panic was "It was a dream" like SMB2.

I don't think you get a different ending in Super Mario Bros 2 by beating it with all 4 characters. I mean, for example, the NES cart doesn't seem to keep track of the stages cleared with each character like the FDS disk for Doki Doki Panic does, so there's no way to know which characters have beaten Wart.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

Yes it does. At the end of the game there's a counter that shows how many times you've used each of them.

SMB2 is a game that I know inside and out and I've beaten it in every possible way you can. I've never gotten a different ending than Mario waking up (I think it's okay not to spoiler that; it's been twenty-five years).

Huh. It's been many years since I've played SMB2, so I'm not surprised I forgot that post game counter. But I still don't think it keeps track between multiple plays in one session, just the one playthough. Am I right about that?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

If it wasn't for the arrow (and cash), I'd be buying two (Black & Purple. Looks boss on purple.)!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Caitlin posted:

You guys know he was trying to emulate the arrow stickers on the console that tell you what direction to push the switch to turn the console on, right? Since that's pretty relevant to KACHO ON! I figure that's why he picked that icon.

Just checkin'.

It's just that it looks weird on a shirt when there's nothing but blank space under that arrow. If the cartridge and arrow were above a console mock-up (and the design was a bit smaller as a result), it'd be a bit better personally, but not with the dead space.

That's just how I feel about it.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Heti posted:

are you legally blocked from doing the kotaku ones? I'd like to see the originals, can't stand that announcer enough to watch them.

Those episodes are on the DVD set from Discotek with actual good subtitles and the Japanese Audio as well, so they won't (re-)do them since they'll be available legally.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Meme Emulator posted:

Some of my fighting game friends really like it, some characters essentially have a projection that they can move around independently on the battlefield which can make for some interesting dynamics.

Of course its broken as hell, to the point that one character has to be banned because he has infinite combos.

You're talking about the PS1/Dreamcast Fighter because I know you're talking about Pet Shop. gently caress PET SHOP.

zari-gani's talking about This one (links to the cover) which covers the fifth Part of the Manga, Vento Aureo (Yes, Araki named Part 5 Golden Wind like that). On a related note to that, there's actually a thread here on SA for the HD Re-release of the JJBA fighting game.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Gutcruncher posted:

So does he play Die Hard Arcade on an American Saturn or is it Dynamite Cop? This matters a great deal because one has Bruce Willis (and is therefore better)

It's Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade on a JPN Saturn. Dynamite Cop was Dynamite Deka 2 and was on the Dreamcast.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Aww man, I missed the TGS Spending Spree. :smith:

Ah well, the only thing I really wanted (the pin) ended up being sold out, so it's not too bad. It also doesn't help that I couldn't really make out what some of those things were (Like, what is that next to the flashlight and jacket?).

Oh well, that's always next year. :unsmith:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Chococat posted:

I think I might have an extra bandana or something if you're interested. I will sort out the bag when I get home.

If Corridor isn't interested, I am! I'd probably tie that thing around my arm every now and then.

I don't want to take it away from Corridor though if he is interested.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Chococat posted:

Please let me know if you're interested in the bandanna. :) The diagonal corner underneath has the GCCX logo on it. I'll be getting to people with prices once I can get a spreadsheet going and price out supplies vs flat rate, but you can PM me too if you're keen to get a subtotal for your purchase before shipping.

Like I said, I'm interested in the Bandana if Corridor doesn't want it. I think that would be close to $13 and shipping if I'm not mistaken.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Chococat posted:

I got hosed by the ATM's exchange rate and its $14+pp fees. :( I can mail it first class normal mail though since it is super flat and light. If corridor passes I'll send you a PM. :)

Sweet. I'll probably have to wait just a few days (like, until Wednesday) to pay you (if Corridor passes of course) since I've got a lot of payments to make very soon, but I will be able to pay you. I just want to make sure my funds all line up and such.

Also, if that image is everything but your haul, where's YOUR haul? :colbert:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Corridor posted:

Sorry dude, but I'm totally up for that bandanna. :(
I'm in Australia so postage will probably suck, but the US$/AUD$ are roughly neck to neck at the moment so it should make calculation easier. I don't have paypal, but I'm sure I can track down someone who does.

:argh: :bahgawd: :argh:

Curse you Decade Corridor!

Seriously though, enjoy that bandanna. I guess there's always next year if someone here is at TGS again.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Corridor posted:

I feel bad for taking it now. I'll send you a bunch of photos of me wearing it. Or would that just deepen the bitterness :ohdear:

(I kid, but I do feel sorta bad that I turned up to complain about Missing Out a few posts before you did)

Don't feel bad...actually, yes. Feel bad. You complained and got the bandanna, I was just "oh well, the Pin sold out, maybe next year" before you complained!

(Seriously, don't feel bad about it. It's all cool. Chococat, sell it to Corridor, I'm just joking around.)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

the least weasel posted:

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'. I found most of the comments far less helpful than what he actually wrote. Why is a review unhelpful simply because it doesn't say what you want it to?
Like I said, I agree in that I feel it isn't necessarily a good thing that the show is taking on American influences and in my opinion it runs the risk of tainting the original feel of it.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's. That is not to say I would not pay money for the show, if it came in a different format, and I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't. In that way his review was helpful to me.

Alright. First thing. What "American influences" is the show taking on with the Discotek DVD set and how are they "tainting the original feel" of the show? These are pretty much the only things that were different in the Dub episodes compared to a normal SA-GCCX release:

- The title change to Retro Game Master
- Arino being referred to as The Kacho instead of Chief or just Arino
- The removal of all extra segments and only including the challenge
- The dub itself

One at a time;

- The title change was actually Fuji TV/Gascoin/StyleJam's idea (can't actually remember which. Think it was StyleJam's), not the licensor's. And they've stuck with it every time they've tried selling the series internationally.
- That was pretty much part of the whole marketing pitch for all international prospects, not the licensor's fault again.
- Even the JPN DVD Boxes remove the Non-Challenge segments and only put them in as additional features. It's all licensing here.
- This had to happen. NOBODY outside of people that actually want to watch foreign media want to read subtitles.

[That last one reminds me of a story that was told (I think in this very series of threads) about people who went to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in theaters. There were some people in front of them that were surprised to see subtitles and just up and left when they realized the whole movie was subtitled.]

Secondly, what WOULD you pay money for then? A DVD set of the series as it was aired, Non-Challenge segments and all? If that's what you'd want, you'd be asking the (almost) impossible. Game Center CX in and of itself is a PAIN to get onto DVD because of all the licensing rights that need to be approved by the game companies whose games were used in challenges (why do you think that the DVD Boxes aren't season sets, but random challenges?). Then there's getting permission from the owners of the places that any given Tama-Ge segment was filmed at, and potentially the license holders of any of the games shown off in those segments. Only then can those be included on the DVD as a bonus feature, and usually only one or two.

If you just mean a set without the dub, then that's a lot more reasonable, but still probably wouldn't happen.

Lastly, what exactly do you mean by:

the least weasel posted:

I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't.

Do you mean "This is just the KOTAKU episodes! I'm not paying for anything that may go back towards KOTAKU."?

If so, I'm sorry that you're letting a (admittedly terrible) web site (and probably the dub as well) ruin your enjoyment of a good show and the only legal way to easily get and support the show in the US as of now.

Me, once I save up the money, I'll be buying one of the DVD sets to do my part in supporting GCCX in the US. I'll end up just turning off the dub and putting on the subtitles that zari-gani was hired to work on and just enjoy the episodes again. Then I'll maybe show the DVDs to a couple friends to see if they'll enjoy it. And if they do, I'd give them a couple of the team's releases and tell them to enjoy those, point them here when a new episode is released, and also point them to the Discotek DVD if they really like it after that.

Now, all that aside, I'd actually like you to explain what you mean by your comments if I'm wrong with any of them. If not, let's just have this be the end of it and move on with our lives.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Tewratomeh posted:

Are zari-gani's subtitles not included now on the North American DVD? I heard that they were going to put them in as an option, but everybody's talking like the Kotaku version is the only option on the DVD now.

No. It's that (about two) people are complaining that the Kotaku version is even on there; so yes, zari-gani's subtitles are on there. A simple case of the overly vocal minority.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Nickoten posted:

I believe he is in fact missing the GBA and PSP versions which added new characters. But hey, thanks to the modern technology that is the decimal system, that's not even an issue! :unsmith:

Nope. He got those.

SF Alpha/Zero 1-3 were the core Arcade versions. Zero 2 Alpha was an arcade revision that was re-released in the PS1/Sega Saturn's Street Fighter Collection and the PS2's Alpha Anthology.

Zero 3 Upper was originally an Arcade Revision, much like Alpha 2 Gold. Then there was the GBA release of Alpha 3 Upper (which I wouldn't really call a port, more a conversion). After that, there was Zero 3 Double Upper which was not an arcade revision, but the PSP version which was release internationally as Alpha 3 MAX.

quote:

DVD Supplementary Release and Ghouls and Ghosts

Awesome.

I do feel a little ashamed though, not having ordered the DVD set yet. Curse my constant lack of money! :argh:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Mayor McCheese posted:

This may be a stupid question, but where can I find the latest Clover episode?

Not too far above you!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Checked the last couple pages to make sure nobody posted this, apologies if I missed it.

After ten thousand years, this Ghouls 'n Ghosts episode is free, though it's not likely to conquer anything.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

If only they could have held off four more days some of the stuff in that episode would have made a lot more sense. C'est la vie.

Well, time to hold off on watching Ghouls 'n Ghosts for four more days! :v:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd like to get the dvds, but I'd also like to embrace the digital download future and keep my house clutter free. Anybody know if/when it'll end up available as an amazon video or on Itunes?

Considering who released it and the status of their other releases on said services, never (probably).

...actually, Fist of the North Star (and some of the other anime they released on DVD) are on Amazon Instant, but those were probably there already and are potentially the same subs that are on Hulu.

I still think that seeing the Game Center CX/RGM DVD episodes on Digital Services is a longshot. It'd be kinda cool, but it's still likely not going to happen anytime soon.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 7, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Cemetry Gator posted:

I haven't talked to him online yet today...

So as of 9:00 PM, no. But that's probably because his mind is blown.

Welp. Looks like it's time for you to find some new friends. :ohdear:

...to spread GCCX to! :v:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Obeast posted:

The game is based on the original Dragon Ball series when Goku was a kid and he had a tail since he's a Saiyan. Apparently, it got cut off before Dragon Ball Z starts, but he somehow gets it back in GT... I'm skimming through the series' wiki, so I don't know how or why that happened since I only watched most of DBZ growing up and even then I forgot most of what happened aside from major/awesome stuff like Goku going :ssj: for the first time.

On Goku getting his tail back: Emperor Pilaf came back after being forgotten for god knows how long and ends up using Black Star Dragon Balls to wish Goku back to being a kid. Doing this somehow meant that the tail would grow back. Pilaf and the flunkies then just get beaten, and are never really seen again after that if I recall correctly.

On the rest of GT: After that, bullshit with Black Star Dragon Balls come up and a galaxy/universe-wide (forget which) quest to find them before earth goes BOOM because stupid plot (Make a wish on the Black Star Balls, and if you don't gather them back up in a year, your planet goes kaboom. Goku also can't go back to not being a kid without them).

Said Black Star Balls are gathered, a bunch of bullshit happens and a villain is beaten, a SUPER version of Android 17 appears who's apparently an alternate future 17 and "normal" 17 combined (or something, I don't remember exactly what it was). Beaten. The Black Star Balls are turned into Dragons to fight (or something like that). Super Saiyan 4 and more bullshit including Vegeta doing it and fusing with Goku and going SS4. They're all beaten, Black Star Balls are no more or something and Goku's back to normal. Goku goes gently caress 'YALL (except not really) and leaves Earth with Shenlong and the normal Dragon Balls (a "if I'm not here, evil won't come looking for me!" thing I think it was). THE END.

I don't even remember which parts actually went with which and the actual reason for the ending. Simply put, gently caress GT and just go watch or read Dragon Ball. Because everybody only knows what happened in Z. :v:

On the episode of GCCX: That was a fun episode for things that weren't the game itself. The AD Revelation was pretty great, the annual TGS bits are usually nice, and seeing how they started Sing Whatever The Hell You Want was nice. Especially the reaction to Tanii's lyric "submission".

Trying to use words that don't actually give things away in case anyone still hasn't watched the episode yet.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

When I saw that, I was so hoping to see a nice clean shot of Arino in the center of the camera like that. It's perfect avatar material after all. Sadly, we get it only with the overlays in the corner.

Doesn't make it any less amazing though.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Random Stranger posted:

A cool shirt.

The design is nice and I'll likely be ordering one when I can.

And now for something somewhat related to GCCX.

For anyone who remembers the USA special (which should be everyone in the thread :v:), you may remember that Arino visited two "arcades" in San Francisco. Musee Mechanique, and Southtown Arcade. Well, just today, it has been announced that Southtown Arcade will be closing their doors. Hopefully, not forever though.

A moment of silence for a cool little Bay Area arcade.

*silence*

...YOGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

But at least there's still Game Center [South of San Francisco] and the Golflands in the Bay.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posting, already in progress.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Obeast posted:

That sucks... I live a couple hours from the bay area and I was thinking about checking it, as well as the other places they went to including that game shop in Antioch, out if/when I was ever in the area (especially if I ever got a job up there and ended up moving so I could visit it every weekend or so). :smith:

Although, it does say "last day of operation at its current location", so I'm assuming that their lease is up and they will probably move to another place in the near future. :shobon:

Also, :smug: Arino is one of the best things ever.

Well, like I said, for small arcades in the Bay there's still Game Center which you should check out if you can. I really should go down there more than I have recently.

On the "last day at it's current location", they're probably not just moving to another space somewhere soonish. The lease IS part of it though (in that it expires at the end of the year), but mostly everything else.

And personally, I'm more fond of :mmmsmug: style moments, although, I can't think of any. Oh well.

Heatwizard posted:

At first, I was like "what about Portal on top of the Metreon building?" But it turns out they're a Target now. Whenever my family headed out into the city we'd waste an hour or two there, it was great. My childhood :negative:

Man. At least the place in Great Mall is still running? They used to have this neat batch of Battlemech pod machines, I think they were. They were networked together for multiplayer, and it was awesome, but the last time I was there they were missing, so I guess they pulled the plug on 'em.

The Metreon's been gone for quite a while. Sadly...kinda...I don't know how to feel about that place anymore aside from it having the original Playstation Store and none of this digital hoohaw you youngins are talkin' about! :corsair:

But by place in the Great Mall, if you mean Dave & Busters, yeah, it's still running. And going by the mention of the Battlemech pods (and the timeframe in general), I believe I'm right in my assumption. They did get rid of the Battlemech pods a while ago, but they still have Derby Owner's Club! :haw: But they do have something else towards the back near the Redemption Games and Redemption Hall. I forget what it was though.

Now, if you meant WONDERPARK, then no, it's BEEN gone. For even longer. My childhood :negative:

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 21, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Yes. Yes, you should. :colbert:

But only if you actually can (Moneywise).

And by the way, thanks for the Bandana. I haven't had a chance to wear it for anything yet, but it's great to have some non-DVD physical GCCX merch.

...I still have to buy the DVDs. I am a terrible fan. :negative:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Welcome to the team DRE. You will now be tested in the most fitting ways. First up, let's see how far you can get in two hours in Takeshi's Castle. No, there will be no breaks either. :colbert:

[Sweet, new GCCX. Thanks.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

zari-gani posted:

It's all an illusion :ssh:

My...my immersion...:negative:

[I know what I'm doing once I get home! Thanks again guys. :dance:]