Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speedball posted:

edit: ...what the heck is up with the Black Panther cartoon?

They called it a motion comic, which basically means they were too cheap to actually animate it. Motion comics are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah its pretty unfortunate that as far as I am aware, Disney doesn't own a network that targets the same demographics as ultimate spiderman does. It would have been awesome to just have a straight adaptation of the comic book series.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I just hope they don't try and shoehorn an X-men animated series into this new expanded universe they are planning. The X-men universe is vastly superior when its stand-alone.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Space_Butler posted:

I guess DC is trying to go for a Kill Bill thing here. In any case, I guess this means between the combined runtimes, we're probably not going to see much cut out from the book. I wonder if they're doing this to also test the waters for future epics being released as multi-part videos.

Also, a trailer briefly was leaked onto Vimeo but was almost immediately taken down. Someone managed to snag some screencaps here, though.

I think its more akin to Japanese OVAs, which are straight to dvd animated mini-series that are usually an adaptation of a work. I always thought it would be a great format for these comic book adaptions, and I'm glad DC is finally going to try it out.

Also, I'm really glad that they got Micheal Ironside to voice batman.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think calling S:TAS awful is in any way accurate. It may not have been the best DCAU series, but nothing was going to reach the heights of B:TAS or JLU. The only outright bad episode I can think of was the Livewire one and that is probably only because it seemed like it was on every time I turned it on while the show was still on TV. But anyway, compare S:TAS to anything running concurrently and it was a pretty loving fantastic show. Being only the third best DCAU show (dead in the middle if you consider JL a separate thing from JLU or if you want to count Zeta Project and/or Static Shock) is hardly a bad thing.

Any episode with Metallo in S:TAS was really terrible.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing is there were hints of it already in the series. It seemed that was always the plan, but they never got a chance to do it in the show.

Also, it fits in with the theme that Batman/Bruce Wayne chose to live alone, but Terry isn't doomed to make the same mistakes Bruce did. Every person is in charge of their own destiny.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

This was in the comic book? I need to read more of it, it's better than the game's story.

No, no you don't. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/injustice-gods-among-us-and-the-fridging-of-lois-spoilers/

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

People liked the show. (me included) But CN has no idea what to do with DC.

I think you are in the minority with that opinion. It was terrible ugly garbage. Just because a few people liked it, doesn't mean CN was wrong to cancel it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

TwoPair posted:

They should just do, y'know, animation. That's cheaper than CGI, right? Or is CGI actually cheaper these days than decent 2D animation?

CGI is cheaper if you don't bother to spend much on it. Beware the batman was probably a lot cheaper to make than a 2D show.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

What was the reason again for cancelling one Avengers show just to put on another Avengers show with the same characters? I know it had something to do with the movie but I can't remember what.

Basically, Jeph Loeb thought that having any sort of ongoing plot would be too confusing for kids.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Has Marvel ever done that? Planet Hulk is the only thing I can remember. It's kind of amazing they haven't tried to adapt any of their big story arcs. What are the rules concerning the rights to DTV movies? They had one with Wolverine and some mutants, which makes me think they can use anyone?

They now own the animated rights to all of their characters. Its why Wolverine and the X-men, and that new spider-man show were cancelled.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You know, I've always wondered how the japanese see the american superheroes, they like them or think that Super Sentai/Kamen Rider is miles better? I understant than Japan is kind of really close minded to outsider things.

Tiger and Bunny was incredibly popular in Japan, and the show was heavily inspired by Western Superheros.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The batman short has been officially uploaded to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFwOS2R9o_8

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I read somewhere that Metropolis was supposed to be the very best of New York while Gotham was supposed to be the very worst.

Metropolis is New York during the day, Gotham is New York at night.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Im going through the first season of Teen Titans. Holy poo poo this show is amazing! It almost has everything I want in a Superhero show.

Makes me wan't to get some Teen Titans books.

Don't, unless you like seeing all the characters you like getting killed off.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

They will continue to make the shows in 3D because its cheaper.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

unless you mean to say that there has never been a decently animated superhero cartoon, which is different, but valid opinion to have.

No, its not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UJphNPwDfk

VV those shows have great animation too, but the quality is a lot more hit or miss.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 31, 2014

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I thought that was them not making any moves to get Spider-Man, X-Men, or Fantastic Four back from Fox and Sony, thus forcing them to manage their B and C-list properties effectively in a way they never would have had to if they had all three of their biggest cash cows to lean on.

The Spiderman franchise is probably one of their most profitable movie franchises. They get the profits from the merchandise without even having to sink money into making the movies.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Somewhere I have a Calvin and Hobbes collection that has little bits of commentary by Bill Waterson, and he mentions good writing can help make up for poor art a lot better than good art can make up for poor writing. I think comparing say, early Archer (the animation got a lot better as that show went on) to early Young Justice makes a good case for that argument.

Only to a certain extent, if the art looks terrible, the writing must be pretty drat good to make up for it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batman vs Robin Debut trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtdJl6ccK18

Looks pretty nice.

Wow, Robin's character design is pretty awful.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Basically because you had a bunch of script writers all psyched to work on a Batman production, and then very bitter that they had to go and rewrite all their meticulously constructed cat puns into bird puns because suddenly the black-clad, animal-themed master thief who flirts with Batman is "Magpie" now.

These are the same writers that had Batman team up with a ninja, and turned Alfred into Jason Statham. Something tells me they weren't exactly thrilled to write batman.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dacap posted:

Is there an internal company contest at DC to see who can come up with the worst Harley Quinn costume design? Because they really keep outdoing themselves in that regard.

The original costume was perfect, so DC has nowhere to go but downhill.

Although, I am glad they are bringing back the old art style and not the ugly one DC has been using recently for all of their animation.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dacap posted:

Assualt on Arkham seems like it's pretty close to what the Suicide Squad movie will end up as

I think Suicide Squad will be way worse.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, it originally had some really good looking 2d animation, but now its doomed to have the same barren environments every 3D show suffers from.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I really wish that GL:TAS had been done in traditional 2D because even though later episodes looked better I still don't think the Timm style ever really adapted to 3D. What I'm saying is I feel bad about not watching the show based on how poo poo the first couple of episodes looked.

Its suffers from the same thing every 3d CG show suffers from: barren lifeless environments.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

At this point it is more entertaining to just wonder what is going on behind the scenes at Warner Bros. for them to give so little of a poo poo about ALL of their DC properties, film, TV, and animated. Disney is printing money with Marvel poo poo, and WB can't seem to be bothered to put a modicum of effort into any DC project they make at this point.

I think its less not giving a poo poo, and more that WB's upper management are only capable of thinking in terms of formulas, and profit margins. They think they can just copy what Marvel is doing, without caring about the quality of their products and people will automatically flock to a movie because its includes <insert element>. The way WB has been handling PC ports shows they don't give a gently caress about customer satisfaction, and are only looking for quick and easy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ZDar Fan posted:

This is either the best or the worst thing from the 90's FF cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VBv0ZenZU

I love how Mr. Fantastic blocks people from escaping the building at the end of the video.

• Locked thread