Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You forgot about the Batman/Superman crossover two-parter/mini-movie/whatever it was, where the DCAU officially became a U.

Sometimes I like to think about how hard it had to suck for Marvel's cartoon guys to suddenly have to compete with the Batman cartoon after they'd progressed their superhero cartoons from Spider-man and his Amazing friends levels to the 90s X-men cartoon. It had to have been something like finishing your little bucket sand castle at the beach and looking over to see some other kid had reproduced the Sistine Chapel. Including interiors.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Year One is actually the textual evidence of Bale's guttural, inhuman Batman voice. There is a part of Year One where he mentions actually growling like an animal. So, it's funny that they went the opposite direction with such clinical, and dry voice. I did think it was effective for the dinner scene.

Yeah that voice has pretty much been canon for a while now, which makes me wonder why you still find the odd guy on the internet who thinks Batman should sound like a clear-voiced British guy trying to disguise his accent. I think they even gave him that voice in that one cartoon that did a Dark Knight Returns homage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I've been doing a lot of web surfing to find specific Batman material lately, clips from the 90s animated series and the like, and I keep seeing people talk about Batman: Brave and the Bold like it's an abomination, and that really depresses me.

Oh noooo, Batman is being lighthearted! They're ruining everything!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Was it written before or after the series came out?

Throughout. People doing Arkham City Let's Plays talk about various Batman cartoons and when they get to Brave and the Bold they just go "Oh, GOD, can we not talk about that bullshit?" and the like. It seems pretty widespread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That press release claims that the Powerpuff Girls are getting a new special!

No Genndy, no play.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Also I will take a WWE/Scooby Doo mash up any day over Young Justice.

What are you talking about, that show was a wonderful sleep aid!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

What is going on here

Young Justice was a glacially paced show with one-dimensional characters, is what's going on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Will Superman be able to punch the bad guy???

I also notice he's stolen Hulk's clap move. And for some reason they edited that trailer to reference this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

While it might be a bad example, I don't think the MTV Spider-Man cartoon (which wasn't completely bad, but it was nothing amazing either) being tied into those movies really helped. It only lasted for a season, right?

Are you nuts? That show was awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That show was so loving bad, the animation looked like GTA cut scenes. Was it really supposed to be in film continuity?

I sure don't remember Harry Osborn looking like Nick Carter or Peter living in a gigantic luxury penthouse that looks like it costs 10 000 a month in the movies. That show was like Smallville for Spider-man, and not in a good way. And it looked like poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

flash stretching and squashing

I love that stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziAwKoMKiig

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is there a source anywhere? Are they just going off those vague-rear end tweets?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thomas Wayne as Batman is exactly the same character as old man Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond, so I don't have a problem with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

My only problem with JLU and thus the DCAU as a whole is that it builds this whole great big League at the end, but in Batman Beyond the League is just... gone, reduced to just a handful of people again. I mean, I know why it happened, because BB was made before JL was even greenlit, but it still irks me, especially now that I've been binging on them since they came on Netflix Instant Watch.

They all died during the big war with Ras. There, now the continuity is fixed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He had the same exact suit because it's his standard animation model and it makes him easily recognizable to viewers. I'm honestly shocked they didn't put Bruce Wayne in his black suit from the end of BTAS.

Oh come on, The New Batman Adventures isn't really part of BTAS. It's the lackluster sequel to it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It gave us a lot of good stuff though. DCAU Nightwing, that episode with Batgirl falling onto the Commissioner's car, the bitching Scarecrow redesign (with Jeffry Combs voice :allears:), and that episode where Superman had to pretend to be Batman.

Sorry, The Undertaker isn't a good design for Scarecrow. I'm not calling The New Adventures a lovely show or anything, but it was pretty different in a lot of important ways, and also was a lot less ambitious than the original series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I stopped watching B:TAS a little under half way through and have yet to finish it so I've never seen New Adventures, what makes the two of them so different?

Well, for one thing, every single character design is different. For another, whereas B:TAS made a very conscious effort to minimize the goofy kid sidekick aspect of Robin, New Adventures has a Robin that's all of 10. Where B:TAS was mostly about Bruce, Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl take up a ton of space in New Adventures. It's also far less cinematic and character-driven, and has more crossovers with other DC characters.

So yeah even though it's a continuation of the original series it's pretty loving different. Hence why I call it a lackluster sequel. Like Highlander 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Haha, yeah, the New Batman Adventures version of the Nightwing costume is very good and elegant, but that loving mullet...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

I don't think Timm likes Dick aside from the mullet we got the really skeezy "He never got over me chosing Bruce over him." reveal in Beyond.

The skeezy part about that is the implication that Barbara got with Bruce. Yuck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Just better than the other current shows - I guess I thought there was more than just Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm not expecting much from the other Loeb shoes either. Evolution, Spectacular, EMH, WatXM are all better than Armored Adventures, but it's a good enough show if you can forgive the "Teenage Tony" premise.

What I can't forgive is the dodgy CG cel-shaded animation. It reminds me of that heinous MTV Spider-man cartoon. Also it looks like poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Excuse me, the best 90s cartoon intro is clearly from the Fantastic Four cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vZl3OaAmo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, the Marvel Action Hour, the X-men cartoon and later the Spider-man cartoon were basically my childhood. It made me incredibly excited when I realized that the shows all shared continuity. I already knew all these characters from reading a bunch of old comics I got... from somewhere... including some huge collections of black and white Marvel comics that were apparently sold in a monthly format in France. (Imagine that, getting caught up on all your superhero stuff in one huge brick of a comic per month) Anyway, I already knew all these characters and seeing them get a bunch of connected cartoons made me really excited.

I didn't have cable and none of my local stations aired the Batman cartoon, so as far as I was concerned, these were the best superhero cartoons ever made. I loved Stan Lee hosting the Marvel Action Hour. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I kind of love those shows when they'd just randomly throw other characters in montages like that, just Doom's ominpotent, so here he is owning the Avengers and blowing up the X-Men's Blackbird. I think the X-Men show had an episode where the villain was causing calamity worldwide (Dark Phoenix, maybe?) and just randomly Black Knight and Captain Britain are shown flying over London.

Don't forget showing Spider-man stopping debris from crushing bystanders with a web curtain. That made me jump out of my seat and cheer as a kid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's the penance stare ya mooks, that's how it works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't what says about me that with the Conan intro I could only think of Golden Axe :v:

It mostly says that Golden Axe ripped off Marvel's version of Conan so hard it might as well have called the warrior Konnan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Marvel's cartoons are cursed, any time they start getting near the DCAU, some bullshit like this happens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Ben Grimm is hardly the most annoying on the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBDqPYVuO4

Why is the girl he has a crush on in his music video played by Sue? Also why everything else??? Aaaugh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You can be awesome and still be annoying as gently caress.

And how!

:v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FutureBoy posted:

There's the classic fight between him and the Champion of the Universe. Don't ask me where it was though.

Marvel Two-in-one Annual #7. It's pretty good, although it's really funny how they find dumb ways for characters who outclass the Thing to be disqualified.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We just went over this 3 pages ago!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

You shut your drat whore mouth. Unlimited Spider-Man was pretty drat neat. It was weird as hell, sure, but it was still good.

Come on now. Come the gently caress on. Let's get serious here. It was awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, there's definitely ways to watch it but it would've been nice to have it readily available in high quality.

I've been thinking about it a bit, though, and are any of the non-Spectacular Spider-Man series actually genuinely good? The 60s stuff is fun and charming in that great campy sort of way, and from what I remember of it the 90s series was decent for what it was, but while I can't say I've seen every Spider-Man show ever I've seen enough bits and pieces of most of them to have the impression that they mostly range from awful to mediocre and Spectacular seems to be the only one that comes highly recommended without any major caveats. Does Spider-Man just have a bad track record when it comes to cartoons?

Marvel has a very bad track record when it comes to cartoons, but only compared to post-BTAS DC. Only a few Spider-man cartoons are genuinely unwatchably bad, but the rest are all just clearly kid's shows with no ambition beyond selling you poo poo, and unimpressive animation. Spectacular is the sole exception, from what I've heard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Show got canceled for good reason though. I mean I have no idea how much is on which side of the production fence but that show was a total mess.

A total boring mess, at that. Even 90s Spider-man was watchably dumb. Young Justice was just... a sleep aid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's a little obvious and "on the nose" to me.

It just screams of the usual lazy adaptation thing of meshing 2 characters into one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Probably the funniest thing about Teen Titans Go! is how their policy toward the DCU as a whole is a 180 from the original Teen Titans, where they weren't allowed to mention anything at all. Instead they just kind of cram references all over the place, like tonight's episode had Deadman's skeleton under Starfire's bed and a Ra's Al Ghul sarcophagus underground. Also Starfire has a movie Bane teddy bear.

Well, they have to compete with Ultimate Spider-man for the title of "superhero Family Guy".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Teen Titans Go basically rules you guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

Basically, Spectacular Spider-Man is great and it is a horrible shame it got cancelled for that new series.

That's not why it was canceled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Video quality aside that is one really, really ugly looking show.

If this was 2001 I'd say the CG is pretty impressive, if not nearly as good-looking as traditional animation. Now, though, it's just hideous.

deong posted:

I really hate the trend of these CGI series. I couldn't watch GL because of it. Doubt I'll bother with this either. So ugly.

It's hideous, but I'll take it over really bad flash animation.

achillesforever6 posted:

And the special dialogue between specific characters was fun, mostly involving Deadpool talking to people. In retrospect I'm surprised they used Weasel in the game, aren't there more famous hackers in the Marvel Universe?

There's an amazing amount of odd choices in that game. If you had access to the entire Marvel universe to make a relatively short game, would you put Arcade and Ymir in?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 19, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

I am still loving shocked that Professor Pyg is being used as a villain in this. Imagine if some kid tries to find a comic with him in it.

Kids don't read comics, you silly person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

So who's he fighting in the first part? Magpie? Someone even lamer?

Probably some awful original character.

• Locked thread