Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, that wasn't very good. I liked Hammond's seemingly genuine enjoyment of razzing his Mini around, and did manage a good solid laugh at the sight of the Jag and Roller running Simex tyres, but that doesn't help drag up the rest of it.

I also wish they'd had the balls to have Hammond "accidentally" paint the Pakistani flag on his bonnet.

The idea that he painted a mexican flag on it is stretching credulity a bit, accidentally painting a star and crescent moon would just be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Foehammer007 posted:

I do truly believe the production team was held back by the BBC too much.

What are you basing this on?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Philip J Fry posted:

Probably when Katy Perry's tits were flopping all over while singing a song with Elmo. It didn't make it to air.

I'm struggling to remember when exactly it was in the late 90's or early 00's when people were suddenly granted the right to not be offended by something they had direct control over seeing or hearing. Especially poo poo they'd otherwise never have known about had it not been for the media making a big scene. I remember a big backlash over 'the name that rhymes with a female body part' on Seinfeld. All they said was 'Dolores'!

People have been doing it forever. Look at the furore over Life of Brian for instance.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

I would have thought the thing the Indians would have arced up about was the use of Bombay instead of its real name Mumbai. That really surprised me as that is a very touchy issue to the residents of said city as to a great many it brings back memory of the British occupation and all the unplesantness that bought with it. Everything else was frankly barely minor and just silly.

Not really sure what Clarkson or the BBC were thinking with that one

Yeah, and on the map they spelt Kolkata in its pre-1947 format: Calcutta.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Dodoman posted:

No one here gives a poo poo about how you spell the names of the cities - it's all politics. I laughed my rear end off when the signs tore off, it was brilliant. The income disparity, however, is quite :smith: but I was happy that they showed it.

Yes, but it's a politics the English are very awkwardly intertwined with.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

We must all bow down before the private sector for it is our lord, our god, our saviour.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Cakefool posted:

When I was working dumb shifts & couldn't sleep I watched an absolutely fascinating 2 hour program on this system, they covered the reason it prevails in some detail - basically they wouldn't 'trust' food prepared by someone other than their family, there's also a lot of Pride - if that's the right word - in the wife feeding the husband regardless of what distance separates them.

Do you happen to have a link? Its sounds really interesting.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Piano posted:

Wait am I supposed to know who that guest was? I'm not trying to be a smarmy hipster or something, I honestly think I've never heard of him. I thought it was another UK person I've never been exposed to but apparently not.

He's a member of the Black Eyed Peas.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Ferremit posted:

I've always pondered how people believe that James May, a man who CANNOT REMEMBER HIS DRIVE TO WORK after 18 seasons, would be able to remember a weekly script?

Forgetting his weekly drive to work is scripted.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Cakefool posted:

It was a good rebuttal of the idea that nothing was made in the UK though, even if "made" was stretched to breaking point.

When people say that, though, they don't literally mean that Britain makes nothing anymore. They're just making a point that compared to the past Britain manufactures far less than it used to.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Jeremy Clarkson is a bad person who has supported things which have demonstrably made the world a worse place to live in.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Maybe for you

Not just for me but for the millions of citizens in the Middle East who are suffering as a consequence of the wars he supported.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yep, totally Jezza's fault, given he has any control over what the military does at all... :rolleyes:

Do squirrels live in your head, or what? Do you simply need something to feel upset about?

He has columns in newspapers with readers which number in the millions and have a genuine impact on public opinion, but chose instead to help increase support for the illegal invasion of a foreign country.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Whoa when did the Top Gear thread become D&D?!

Wherever people turn a blind eye to racist imperial arrogance you will find D&D.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

PT6A posted:

It is to laugh. I wish Clarkson actually were a racist and an imperialist, just to piss you off more.

He is. I read The Times which publishes his writings. Not one word will you find in his columns on any foreign civilian killed by shock and awe or drone strikes, but when the medical services mishandles the treatment of just a single soldier he will dedicate an entire column to it.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

LF got deleted for a reason, go away.

I'm just kidding about all this don't worry. People here seem to like it when people come out with exaggerated opinions about others. I'm shocked that people are so offended I was only being ironic.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

That was a nice Italian move right there, when it looks like you're gonne lose, just switch sides!

No this reveal was carefully planned from the beginning. I mean I'm amazed people took me seriously. Do you think even the craziest leftist would unironically post:

cloudchamber posted:

Wherever people turn a blind eye to racist imperial arrogance you will find D&D.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ah yes, we're just puppets carefully dancing to your very blatant fakeposts. Go away.

Is it only funny when Jeremy Clarkson does it? Or does it hurt that I apparently brought out the fact that despite claims to the contrary this thread is apparently full of closet OfCom complainants.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

If anything people complain that its scripted and hes not Clarkson enough.
Wait are you being ironic? I honestly cant tell. :psyduck:

Nay, an I tell you that, Ill ne'er look you i' the
face again: but those that understood him smiled at
one another and shook their heads; but, for mine own
part, it was Greek to me. I could tell you more
news too: Marullus and Flavius, for pulling scarfs
off Caesar's images, are put to silence. Fare you
well. There was more foolery yet, if I could
remember it.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Why am I an idiot?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Gaze upon my works ye mighty and despair.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

CornHolio posted:

You guys act like you've never seen a troll before

It's like they've never watched a certain popular British motoring program.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Good night.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Employment law shouldn't apply to wealthy drunk people.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Have you ever been to a work party? I used to work in the media, and if people weren't punching each other they were being sick up the walls and having adventurous sex with each other's wives. This would be a complete non-event if not for the involvement of Clarkson and the weird agendas of hemp enthusiasts.

This whole thing is a big deal dude whether you like it or not. The BBC wouldn't have suspended Clarkson if he hadn't done something seriously wrong. Think of how much it's going to cost them in terms of audience and the fines they'll have to pay foreign broadcasters for failing to deliver a completely new season of the show on time. No company would do that to themselves unless they absolutely had to.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Whoa!!! When did this thread get all D&D? You're supposed to use this thread to post pictures of female celebrities not post you opinions about Jeremy Clarkson. (Unless you're defending him from some comments you read in The Guardian. You can do it all you want in that case.)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

From Oisin's twitter:

"...that quote isn't actually real you morons."

Man what the hell is going on?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Rectal Placenta posted:

Don't you see? He's being ironic.

Like on Top Gear.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

Jesus loving christ, get over yourself. If you don't want to hear racist, bigoted things, then fine, turn off the computer and unplug the phone.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The government doesn't run the BBC. They have no actual say in how it's run beyond determining the size of the license fee.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Seriously, what a pain in the rear end the BBC is pulling the whole season. At least take all the bits that haven't aired and put them into a big special or something.

edit: Oh god that's too funny, they finally get Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren to agree to a car race and the whole drat TV series implodes.

They've said that they aren't broadcasting any of the scheduled future episodes of the current season, not that the extant footage will never be shown in some form.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

London has a steep pollution tax, doesn't it?

Only the most central zone of the city which nobody drives through unless they have no other option.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

She was in a lose-lose situation with that though. If she'd have taken a budget airlines she'd have been attacked for being a hypocrite.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Never get why people opt for Argentinian rather than Argentine. The latter has always felt much easier on the tongue to me.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Ludicro posted:

However, the young are also notoriously apathetic about actually going out and voting, so it will probably all come crashing down at the general election.

Nothing's going to come crashing down for them because they have nothing to lose. They've already won.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 13, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

What would be the point of making one?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Who's Jeremy Darkson?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Always feels so weird reading BBC News talking about itself in the first person. Especially because the News seems to be the news so often now.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Why would it affect the magazine at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I wonder how them getting contracts at Sky would affect repeats of the show on Dave?