Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
When I open my daily pages with Daily Links, not all of the pages load, and I have to refresh a bunch of them. Does anyone know how I could increase the timeout time limit or something? FWIW, it opens about 10 pages at once.

EDIT: Since SALR is in the OP, you might want to consider this forums redesign. Please don't derail the thread with discussion on its fixed width though.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

Newest version of AdBlock was disabled because an update for it now allows it more permissions...when I go to enable, it now says it can access data on all website, and tabs and browsing activity...

Am I being paranoid for thinking that something like AdBlock has no business doing that?

On the page for AdBlock Plus, it mentions that Chrome shows that warning for all extensions that modify the contents of pages. I highly doubt the permissions were different before. If they were, though, feel free to :tinfoil:.

Fake Edit:

Chrome AdBlock posted:

** NOTE REGARDING PERMISSION UPGRADES, February 2 2012 **

A bug in Chrome is disabling AdBlock and asking you to re-confirm the permissions that you agreed to when you installed. It was triggered when I tried to add popup blocking to AdBlock.

Don't worry, nothing nasty is going on, other than the fact that AdBlock wasn't supposed to be disabled!

You can safely confirm and re-enable AdBlock. Sorry for the mess. See chromeadblock.com/help/?disablebug for a little more detail.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

I use this one for switching to your previous tab when you close the current one, it does the rightmost thing too:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ajnianifcggmdojhnmjichjmnjpplcha/details
Why this isn't a basic functionality option I have no idea

Some people like the current functionality. I remember installing an addon that made tabs open directly beside the current one way back when on firefox.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
When I'm working on a research project, I'll often have pinned tabs, and multiple windows open. Sometimes, I'll close the window with the pinned tabs before remembering that I have other windows open. Is there a way to keep the pinned tabs persistent between sessions unless I remove them manually, or will I have to use an extension of some sort?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Strong Sauce posted:

Does anyone use Ctrl+click to open links in new tabs? One of the recent updates does something loopy where it sometime will create 2 new tabs opening the same link.

I only mention it now because it just opened a new link into 3 tabs...

I use Ctrl+click on my laptop, but I haven't seen any extra tabs pop up. I'm running Stable (17.0.963.83).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Some of my highlights.

Xmarks - Bookmark syncing. Can access them by logging on to their website.

Daily Links - Loads websites depending on the day of the week. Useful for keeping up with webcomics, or other sites that update regularly.

RSS Live Links - Not sure how it compares to RSS Subscription Extension, but it works for me.

Sexy Undo Close Tab - Useful for searching for that tab you closed a couple dozen tabs ago. It enables annoying ads at the bottoms of pages, but you can easily disable them.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

RagingBoner posted:

I can't get Facebook to let me post anything or add comments while using Chrome now. This just started today, anyone else have this issue, or know what might be causing it?

I'm not sure why that's happening to you. I'm running stable (20.0.1132.57), and I have no issues.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

How do you know it has a memory leak? Chrome takes a lot of memory by the nature of its design.

On a similar note, how much RAM is in your system?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Anmitzcuaca posted:

How do I stop Chrome from searching google.co.uk all the time? I'm not even in the UK...

Is your language setting set to UK English? I know that before they added in Canadian English, having it set to that would redirect me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

EasyEW posted:

As much as I like the convenience of having it as a drop-down, I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment.

I use a different RSS extension, and it isn't nearly as bad memory wise.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Chick3n posted:

Youtube added a new feature that limits how much a video will buffer ahead and stops the video buffering when paused. I'm not sure if there's any way to work around it.

I'm not at my computer right now, but try Smart Video. The last update was at the end of November, so it might not work anymore, but I used it in the past to help buffer youtube videos.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

dpbjinc posted:

I just noticed Chrome give a message when SA went down for a few minutes that said other users were experiencing problems accessing the site. I've never noticed that feature before, but it's pretty handy.
I don't remember when I first saw that, but it's a nice feature. Usually, though, I don't see it because if a page is taking noticeably longer than usual, I go right to https://isup.me, or the longer big brother, https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Silly Burrito posted:

Someone on Ars made this point:

I guess if I really wanted 1TB of storage, it would make sense. However, that would've been a really interesting sales technique. Need 1TB of storage for 3 years? Pay $1300 and we'll throw in a free Chromebook Pixel as well!

I would make a mention of how 1TB of online storage is really lovely for me, but that chromebook isn't available in Canada anyhow. loving Canadian internet :canada:.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been having this weird issue with youtube recently. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason as to when it happens, but sometimes after I watch a video, there will be this persistent grey rectangle that appears. It doesn't cover the video, but it covers everything else, and I haven't figured a way to get rid of it, save for closing the tab. Anyone else have this issue?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

beejay posted:

Is that a beta build or something? Still have native popup menus here on 26.0.1410.43 m
That's the version I'm running, and I have the new menus :confused:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Click the 3 lines/options icon -> recent tabs -> reopen close tab

That only does a single tab though. Not sure how to reopen multiple closed tabs.

:sigh: What is happening to Chrome!!!!

There's the hotkey, ctrl+shift+T, which does the same thing. If I need to go hunting to find a previously closed tab, I use Sexy Undo Close Tab.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

kri kri posted:

That looks decent, I might look at it.

Is anyone else getting frozen gifs again in chrome? I remember before when I had this issue I think I fixed it by disabling pepperflash, but thats the only one I have installed now. Tested on a clean profile as well with no addins. Windows stable here. My google-fu is only finding old posts from last year.

Actually, I was just noticing that today. It happens even if I open an incognito window, so it doesn't seem to be extension related. Version 27.0.1453.94 m

Also, the context menu is stupid, tall, and metroified :(.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pottsdam posted:

Is there a way to be able to scroll left and right through your list of tabs with the mousewheel like in Firefox, instead of have them shrink so much you can't read the titles?

If you type about :flags there's an option for stacked tabs you might want to look at. This addon has an option to be able to scroll through your tabs.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Super Dude posted:

One of the permissions when installing is that the extension can "access your data on all websites." I realize Google can do the same, but somehow I doubt they care about the money in my bank account, whereas I don't want this random person who wrote the extension to have access.
If you're concerned about that, but still want to use speed dial, or whatever other extension, just do your online banking in an incognito window.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As far as I can tell Chrome 64-bit doesn't work with 32-bit plug-ins. (Granted I don't exactly have a big sample size, just a PDF plugin (since Google's is kinda crap) and Unity Player, but still.)

Well that's one way to deal with NPAPI.

What is NPAPI?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's a good RSS feed extension? I used to use RSS Live Links, but apparently that's been removed from the store. I looked at the google one, but whenever I try to add a feed, it just takes me to some random site. I also looked at this one, but it won't even present entries in order.

Any suggestions?

Fake edit: I'd search the thread, but search seems to be broken right now.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Whizbang posted:

Anything Adblock Plus does, µBlock does better.

I installed it, but in the short time I messed around with it, I couldn't figure out how to whitelist certain youtube channels.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

nigga crab pollock posted:

Are there any addons that will blacklist websites from google searches? Google used to have it baked into your google account but they discontinued it. No poo poo.

I will cry tears of joy when i search for something and there isn't immediately a CNN, huffington post, lfehacker, fox news or buzzfeed article in the top 3 results

This will add an option to block search results from any search. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...her-info-dialog

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there an adblocker that I can use to whitelist videos from certain youtube channels? I'm using uBlock Origin, and I didn't see any options that look like what I want.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regard to Chromium browsers, I have a funny feeling that Google will make maintaining the webRequest API a pain in the butt going forward via obnoxious codebase changes or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. As long as Vivaldi keeps supporting it, I'm okay, but if they drop it, I'll switch to Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

wooger posted:

Also, why do you feel to need to immediately close your email tab once you’re finished with it? Also pointless busywork, like swiping to close all your apps on an iPhone.

Unlike my inbox, I like my browser windows clean.

that’s a lie i also hoard tabs