Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

2DCAT posted:

JRR is awesome and I'd recommend them to anyone

Yeah I just got a bunch of neat stuff there.

There's an entire pack of high-quality orchestral VSTs going for $20 right now.

https://blowout.jrrshop.com/sonivox-film-score-companion

This thing:

https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/film-score-companion

It's about 50GB of instruments -- everything you'd need to start playing around with film scoring / game scoring / ridiculous opera rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

I have not had great experiences with Sonivox products, both in terms of sound quality and stability. That $20 blowout thing could be awesome but if you're spending $249 for an orchestral suite you can do way better than that for the money. Heck, you could get a year's worth of an EastWest Composer Cloud subscription for that.

Thanks. Yeah I figure $20 is OK for dipping my toe in the water, and I'll see how things go.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

deadking posted:

I have an annoyingly specific question: so I've been using a free VST called DSK Darkness Theory 3 with Reaper. Whenever I close Reaper and reopen a project the tracks with that VST on them "reset" to the default settings that appear when you first load it up. Is there a way to fix that?

It's either an issue with the plugin or with Reaper (or a combination of the two). It sounds like other people have experienced this before though:

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=133002

I'd try checking with Reaper support. They might be willing to help you troubleshoot.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Philthy posted:

Soundtoys has Tremolator on sale for $29 for today only. You can get it on their site or PluginBoutique and maybe the other sites.

As with all their plugins, they are an insta-buy at this price.

Ooh. Playing with autogating was one of the next things on my list to learn. I mean, I could do it with a free Reaper script plugin that writes out automation, but this looks a lot easier.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Philthy posted:

If you're looking for more pure gating, A1TriggerGate is free and worth a look. It's not as complex as Tremolator but if you want a pure gate effect this'll do it. But of you want warped out insanity then Tremolator will do it.

Thanks!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Slothful Bong posted:

Longshot here, but I did a bit of google searching and no luck:

Back in 2014 or so, I got Ampex AVX, the IK plugin, for Amplitube 3.

After all this time I've finally updated to 64 bit ableton live 9. Went through all the upgrade and IK authorization stuff, so it shows I own the Ampeg effects pedals.

But when attempting to use Amplitube 4, I only have access to the Ampeg 1 amps. All the pedals and effects that I originally own (ie all custom shop stuff) pop up with the message "must have Amplitube 4 to use, purchase below"... which is literally what I'm using.

Did they gently caress the old version of SVX somehow? Tried reinstall and reauth, but as is it seems i'm stuck with about 1/6 of the things I paid for. In the auth manager it says I own them, but the VST plugin is limiting me to what's pretty much a lite version.

Sure, I can upgrade to SVX 2 for $50, but since I spent $100 on the original, I'm a bit annoyed I can't use what I paid for. Especially since I'm trying to update old tracks for band stuff, and I'll have to recreate from scratch (since everything was using the separate SVX plugin which no longer exists).

As a side note, is there a way to roll back to the Ampeg SVX VST/Amplitube 3 on 64 bit? No longer have the installers, and if that's the quickest way it's what i'll do.

You can still get the installer for Amplitube 3, in case that helps. I just installed it the other day. (Haven't been using it for a while, and never bothered upgrading to 4).

To find it, I had to log in to my IK account on their site, then click the user icon > my products. There are download links there.

Edit: Amplitube 3 also seems to actually still work, but no telling how long that'll last. It looks like it hasn't been updated since 2015.

I don't know how all the custom shop stuff works, but might be worth contacting IK support.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 1, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

It's a little roundabout, but Reaper can for sure do that.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1417576&postcount=3

That solution requires creating one track for each channel you want sent (fed from a single track with the notes you want played), but that's maybe not a bad thing in case you want to fine tune.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

DjLando posted:

So, Phoscyon and Lush 101 from D16 are now both 40% off:
https://d16.pl/phoscyon
https://d16.pl/lush-101/overview

Does anyone have something nice to say about those two plugins?
I don't have a 303 sound yet, and could always use a nice synth but can't find too much about them.

Have you considered downloading TAL-Bassline (which is free) and running that off your DAW's sequencer (which is probably much less painful to use)?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Anyone here use Loopcloud? Seems pretty boss. Any impressions?

No, but I have been using XO, which has some similar ideas (but only for drum sequencing).

I also sometimes nerd out about infoviz, and it has a really great interface from that perspective. The tSNE map of all your samples owns.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah my version doesn't have the Misc menu at all.

The... One that you pay for, from their site? I'm not sure what other version I would have. :shrug:

Like Ableton, there are at least three, maybe four levels of paid FLStudio, with increasing numbers of plugins included. The base level is pretty stripped down.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Raum isn't showing up in Native Access for me just yet, but NI have issued a statement on the product saying they are getting hammered and it should show up eventually

Huh. I saw the notification that they were getting hammered, but it showed up for me within a minute or two.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Joe Bogan posted:

Probably anathema in the vst thread but just buy a standalone drum machine from the late 80's / early 90's. You'll spend less than you would on a soft synth and get something cooler that does this exact job.

I'm just curious as to what drum machine you think the OP could get for less than $80?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Have you tried standard computer troubleshooting stuff, like reinstalling the plugin and/or checking if the drive it's on might be failing?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I checked my drive with CrystalDiskInfo and it's all good. I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling yet because I don't want to lose all my settings :negative:

Doesn't it keep those as presets in a separate folder?

Also your DAW should remember the settings within its project files. It won't know that the VST it's interacting with was reinstalled.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

https://www.soundtoys.com/rack-relief

Do I understand this correctly? All the effect modules are usable in this version of the rack, even if you don't own individual licenses?

It seems pretty unclear, and something you should test.

(I have the full version so have all the effects already.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah I think Surge is pretty competitive feature-wise, although Serum is prettier and a bit more intuitive.

And as NonzeroCircle says, you can get started with subtractive synthesis pretty easily in Serum too.

Also, where Serum gets fun is with the wavetable morphing and the easy ability to throw an LFO or envelope onto literally anything. I don't really think there's another synth that's easier to do that once you've got the hang of it, and getting the hang of it is really only a matter of watching a few Youtube videos.

Note: I haven't tried Sylenth1, but it looks to me like it's trying to emulate a hardware synth in its interface, so all of its visual idioms are bound by trying to emulate physical knobs, sliders, and LCD displays. Serum is explicitly trying to be a computer instrument, so isn't bound by those constraints. From a UI/info-viz perspective, I think Serum is far ahead.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I'm releasing an EP soon and best believe Decapitator was on almost every instrument on there in one way or another.

I believe there's an interview with Trent Reznor where he says basically the same thing, but about their live shows.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yes and yes but XLN has regular discounts so with a bit of patience you should be able to shave off a few percent of the price.

If you have a large set of samples in a plethora of formats, copy (not move) all .wav single hits in a folder and let XO scan it. It is an infinite drum machine and arranger and every pattern is fresh. Renderin to stems saves CPU and the sequencer is deeply tweakable.

It is really cool and gave me a much needed kick to start making tracks again because beats are not my strongest point.

Yeah other than having a really clean interface designed by people who are clearly infoviz nerds, it's also really flexible with its routing. So it's easy to, say, route the kick to its own track with separate eq/effects/ driving a ducking compressor. Or you can render patterns to midi and play them back into XO. Or a whole lot of other things.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thanks - playing around with these, and it looks like I already had the Dead Duck piano. I think the issue I'm running into is that the lower chords are coming out sounding a bit dissonant, and I'm not quite sure how to fix that, as it seems the same on all piano VSTs.

How low are your lower chords? Are you sure you're not just bumping into low interval limits? Because those apply regardless of instrument. If that's it, the solution is to spread your chords out in terms of pitch/interval on the low end.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah try asking in this thread if you're looking for standalone hardware:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=444&perpage=40

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Heads up, Izotope's BreakTweaker Expanded is currently around $10 USD, plus you can choose from 1 of 4 free gifts when you buy.

I have a major project coming up that this is going to work perfectly with, I'm so happy :toot:

This is worth it even just for the 3GB or so of percussion samples it comes with.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

aunt jenkins posted:

Anybody have experience with orchestral scoring libraries? I have the free BBC one from Spitfire and it’s great, just looking for more articulations / varieties along with some techniques to not go crazy with the tracks etc.

There was some good discussion a few pages ago, kicking off from this post:

ricecult posted:

I'm sure this has come up in the thread at some point, and maybe this starts to branch into software in general, but can anyone recommend a good program for orchestral sounds? Everything seems so expensive but I imagine there's a decent one out there that's affordable.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

UncleBlazer posted:

Forgive me for asking - what do people use these libraries for? Is there a lot of classical composition? I see them thrown around a lot and I’m always curious

I'm pretty sure the main use (especially of the fancier/more expensive libraries) is for soundtracks. Games, movies, animation. That said, I'm not sure what the ratio is of "successful soundtrack composer" to "aspiring soundtrack composer who dropped thousands of dollars on fancy libraries but will actually never make it".

Guy Michelmore has a pretty fun YouTube channel if you want to see some of how that works. He is a successful soundtrack composer, and makes tutorial videos where he goes deep into his own creative workflow.

But yeah, it's also fun to have some orchestral stuff to drop into weird bullshit you're writing for fun. It just may not be worth spending thousands of dollars for that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Huh, I would've pegged his accent as "Cape Town art hipster", but he grew up in London and studied at Cambridge.

aunt jenkins posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm interested in getting into scoring video and have a background in more classical-style composition so there's plenty to review here.

Thanks, this channel is perfect!

No worries! Lol -- he's actually pretty accessible, but he clearly has a deep music theory background. His speed is also amazing to watch. In most videos, he'll put together a complete, mix-ready composition from scratch over the course of 20-60 minutes. I think he mentioned once that he used to work in animation, under insane deadlines, so learned to be quick.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey just loving @ me next time.

Seriously though I do use mine mainly for soundtrack stuff, as you say. I make a little money off of it, more than enough to break even, but I sure as hell ain't making a living off of it.

Haha sorry about that. To be fair, though, "having paid off your thousands of dollars worth of libraries by selling actual soundtracks" feels pretty justified. It's a hell of a lot better than some blues lawyer dropping $5K on a "tonewood" guitar that they never play.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 27, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Oh right, Orchestral Tools has a €25 voucher active until Jan 3 if you bought anything from them this year. So you could probably still get the €2 Majestic Horn and then use the code to get the Full Orchestra single instrument from Inspire 1 (normally €24). It's a solid patch!

Looks like you don't need to buy anything? You just use the OT-holidays-2020 code. https://www.reddit.com/r/AudioProductionDeals/comments/kgdlrm/orchestral_tools_christmas_voucher_25_off_through/

Edit: used it to pick up a glockenspiel. Hopefully it's easier to install than the free one from Steinberg, because lol I spent about two hours trying to get all the product activation bullshit sorted out for that before just giving up.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

veepfake posted:

What's a good reverb VST/AU? Or is the difference between good and bad generally unnoticeable, at least wrt these kinds of plugins

Anything from Valhalla.

And it depends a lot on what your use case is.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah looks like it was a leveraged buyout, just like what killed Toys R Us, Hertz and J. Crew.

Haha yeah ...

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/current-state-of-ni-interesting-thread-on-reddit.358871/

quote:

For the most recent year they filed (Jan 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017), the operating company (what we would think of as NI who makes the software, etc) generated €68 million in sales and about €19 million in “other operating income”, for a total revenue of €88.2 million. They also had €84.6 million in expenses which means that they barely broke even in 2017 and only made €3.6 million in profit. For comparison, NI reported almost €10 million in overall profit in 2016. They did €5 million in 2015, €18 million in 2014, €16 million in 2013, and so on. So 2017 was down a lot from previous years.

I looked up the 2018 filing, and it looks like they made a €6mil loss. The way LBOs work is to take out a bunch of debt to buy a company, then use the company's own cash flow to repay that debt. For companies that are struggling a little but stable, suddenly having to service a bunch of extra debt often kills them. It can take a while -- Toys R Us died due to not having any spare cash to invest in their stores and online experience, and it was 12 years from buyout to bankruptcy. But, well, RIP Native Instruments probably.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

any specific ones you can recommend? i love serum but only mess with presets/random flailing. i feel like i know what's going on with subtractive synthesis but wavetable and fm both leave me just kind of randomly fiddling with knobs

Virtual Riot has a few good Serum tutorials as well. Dude is a loving wizard in what he can do with it, and how quickly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Spitfire soft piano is nice, but it's fairly processed, which limits the situations you can use it in.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

ADSR has an AIR bundle with Mini Grand (sampled grand piano, sounds great but its ~2GB if I remember right), Hybrid 3 (modern synth with a nice sequencer), and Velvet 2 (Rhodes emulation) for $10, with FirePresser as the monthly freebie (nice compressor, allowing blending of 4 types of analog modelled compressors).

$10 is a hell of a deal for any one of those, let alone all 4. I definitely recommend it.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-aip3-intro-software-bundle/

Yeah these are perfectly serviceable. But it's worth noting that they haven't really been updated in about 10 years, and regularly go on sale for $10 or less.

Air Music got bought by inMusic at some point, who also own Akai, M-Audio and Alesis. Like Sonivox, they're just being kept around as a shell so their VSTs can be packaged for free with cheap midi controllers. I don't think they're funded to do much more than maintain the plugins, though.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Soundforge Pro and some other random stuff is on Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/sound-forge-pro-hit-record-production-software

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Does someone want to start a new thread and put this stuff in the OP?

Or try to find Muckswirler to get them to update the OP?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

odiv posted:

Anyone have XO and tried it? I helped someone find Andrew Huang's video on it earlier in this thread, but I've never tried it myself.
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/xo

It's come back on my radar because someone in a Discord I'm in worked on it, so I was thinking of getting it for myself this xmas. Something that helps me use all the one shots and poo poo I've accrued over the years is tempting.

edit: Forgot I had seen this plugin earlier, in this very thread even, so reworded.

I have it, and mostly got it because it uses a bunch of cool infoviz methods that I recognise from my day job. It's possibly worth it just as a way of organising your percussion sample library. And it's not bad as a drum sampler -- you can cut off tails, set filters, set some basic effects, all on a single page. The drum machine part of it is fun and has some cool ideas (e.g. waveform emphasis patterns), but is pretty limited. There are only two patterns, and the grid is locked to 16 beats, so you can't do polyrhythm, and you can't make more than the most boring song with it.

That said, it's not too hard to make a pattern, export it to a MIDI track in your DAW, then use that MIDI track to drive XO as a "dumb" drum sampler. Then you can also fiddle around with polyrhythm etc. The routing itself is pretty good, with every sample having its own midi in / stereo out, or you can send MIDI to the whole thing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lol another one I've heard of is people doing bass music by just recording themselves going "wub-wub wub wuuuub wub wub" and then mapping the amplitude of that track to the LPF cutoff.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lol there are people running (Linux) amp sims (and Reaper) on Raspberry Pis.

You might need to turn off cab sims and any heavy reverb, but should be able to manage something.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

If you can find a standalone one that's fine -- your main goal is just to jam, right?

But most amp sims come as VSTs, in which case Reaper is about as cheap and lightweight a DAW as you'll find to host them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Eh, it's worth giving those a shot, but don't be surprised if they can't handle on the crappy little laptop thing.

If they can't, you'll need to try out the lighter weight options suggested by Agreed, or your plan of just buying a new modelling amp.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

some sample sets require full kontakt, though, due to them including kind of preset type stuff in addition to basic "this is the sample file" stuff. i think.

IIRC it's just a more expensive license fee for the creator to have their Kontakt instrument work with the free version.

So yeah, you pay for Kontakt, then the creator pays to license their instrument on Kontakt, then you pay the creator for the instrument.

It kinda only works because it's popular.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

You could also look for an ocarina VST, since they sound pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Soundtoys just announced that 100% of sales for the next four days will go to humanitarian aid for Ukraine. Just in case anyone was hesitating about getting that, and/or about donating to humanitarian aid for Ukraine.

Nothing's on sale now, but I guess you could buy a gift card and wait for a sale?