Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm seriously considering a Kamado Joe Classic II and can't believe I'm going to be spending this much on a grill/smoker. I live in Tamba Bay and nothing lasts outside here, so I'm either going to get something incredibly cheap and replace it often of something that will last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was smoking with a little MES smoker with a smoke tube until the MES broke. I'm lazy and so bought a Traeger grill and struggled to get anything slow smoked to where I wanted it. I knew the probe that came with the grill was off by 20 degrees so decided to splurge on a Thermoworks Smoke. I now realize the internal ambient probe was also off by a staggering 30 degrees. So those ribs I thought I was smoking at 225 were cooking at under 200 and is why it took 10 HOURS to come to temp.

The Thermoworks is obviously quality construction and a good buy.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 24, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Brisket is just too expensive right now. A chuck roast is in the neighborhood of a brisket.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

I don't know $60 for a vacuum packer is about the same as what I paid 5+ years ago.

I think the Thermoworks Billows isn't enough for the 22 WSM. I'm noticing that I have to set the temp 25-50°F higher than I want to get my target temp. I also notice that Thermoworks has an adapter to let you run 2 Billows for larger smoker. I didn't think a 22 inch WSM was considered a large smoker, but it would be nice if Thermoworks could let you select a smoker to use and adjust the Billows control profile to be more or less aggressive to compensate.

Midnight pic when I started.

At my Publix it was close to $60 just for the flat. My understanding is that beef is up pretty much everywhere in the US.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

You pay way more for just the flat. It's almost the same price even at costco for a 6 pound flat vs a 15 pound whole brisket. It's just down to whether or not you have the space to trim and store or cook it all at once or w/e.

Yeah, I was looking up prices earlier and realized that. Unfortunately, I just went to Publix to check current prices and they had no brisket at all up front and was too lazy to ask.

I'd rather just do a chuck roast than the flat only. The point is where it's at and Publix also sometimes has those separated out.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My Publix did have a whole tenderloin for 18.99/lb. I would try it but wife would kill me.

Also, if you guys haven't tried prime rib on a smoker, it's excellent.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zarin posted:

Time/temp, or recipe?

I figure I just need to know what the pit temp should be, what internal temp I'm aiming for, and then I guess the final hurdle is just figuring out how to get a good crust at the end (probably a few minutes on the grill preheated to "cleaning" temps)

https://www.jerkyholic.com/perfectly-smoked-prime-rib/#recipe

I basically used that as a guide but instead of using the pellet grill for the reverse sear I used a pre-heated gas grill. I didn't care about drippings but when I do another one I'm going to figure something out so I can make au jus as I do in the oven. That recipe has you using a packet, which is meat blasphemy.

For oven prime rib, I use Chef John's method:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/11/prime-time-for-revisiting-prime-rib-of.html

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 4, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
With Easter coming up I've been thinking about smoking some lamb, either a leg or rack. Anyone here tried it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

toplitzin posted:

Do you want easter tacos?
This is how you get easter tacos.
https://www.seriouseats.com/smoked-lamb-barbacoa-recipe

Ha, I saw that one too in my research. It's tempting.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I like Wagyu, and I've never smoked it, but for me, smoking is at least partly about turning 'lesser' cuts of meat into something better. I couldn't imagine smoking something actually A5 Wagyu or whatever. Maybe if I was fabulously wealthy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve never had an American wagyu anything that was any better than a usda prime cut. Now if you’re getting A5 Japanese wagyu or something that’s a different beast, but American wagyu is sort of disappointing in my experience.

I've had actual Japanese A5 Wagyu flown in from Japan. It was good, but not worth the expense, and to me almost a different experience altogether. Honestly, I would prefer a regular USDA prime or even choice steak. Like, if all we got was A5 Wagyu that would suck.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

No its a ham holiday. Its actually not a food holiday at all, but if the food industry can make it one they will. I'm sure the poultry market would love another holiday where serving a bird became a societal norm.

I have two turkeys frozen from post Thanksgiving clearance. 10 pound organic ones, not salted, absolutely perfect for smoking and was like $0.50/lb. I was thinking about doing a thanksgiving in summer party with them and do them roughly 6 months from Thanksgiving.

I feel like it's a ham and lamb holiday. It's also a holiday in which my wife makes me an easter basket even though I'm a grown-rear end man.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was at a bar, looking at the menu. I asked them if smoked beets was a typo. It was not. I did not order it.

I don't like beets but I'd try it. Why not?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smoking only elevates the meat imo. You can't mask it.

I actually also know someone who will absolutely not eat meat on the bone but are fine otherwise. Very strange.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The main thing to consider for smoked sausage is the casing. Natural casing will allow more smoke to penetrate the meat. If the smoke doesn't penetrate, you'll get a weird smoke layer sitting on the outside of the sausage.

Either go to Whole Foods or even better hit up your local Italian or Polish place. (Or make your own)

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 29, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
You can absolutely freeze short ribs. (Pre-marination)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Fall Dog posted:

For those of you with pellet smokers, it looks like Costco has started stocking 40lb bags of Kirkland Signature pellets for $12.99.

Apparently produced by Pit Boss but sold under the Costco branding.

Interesting, I’m going to check mine today!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Fall Dog posted:

So far they've been seen in a few of the South Carolina stores, and there was meant to be more heading to Chicago.

I got my bag, a good deal for that many pellets. Hopefully they burn well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Maybe cut it in two and smoke the flat and point separately?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

This is what I do to fit a flat in my WSM 14.

OP should be able to fit a flat in an 18". If not, I'd still cut it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't spatchcock my chickens for smoking anymore. I get better smoke flavor with a whole chicken. They take longer to cook which means more smoke. Spatchcocking is still great for normal grilling though.

I've never heard of smoking a skinless chicken. I imagine it's going to get really dry.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I didn't even use the chip tray when I had my MES, I just used a smoke tube with pellets. Worked well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm all about chuck roast over brisket these days unless I'm going to feed a gathering. No, it's not as good but it's close enough and cheap!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
You don’t need to remove the skin for beef ribs. For pork I just get an edge going with a butter knife and use paper towel for grip. Works well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
A month old brisket flat is dire either way imo.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

toplitzin posted:

Without a crutch, normal time/lb goes right out the window.

If you haven't started already, you MUST crutch, or wrap the butts when you hit the stall.
Otherwise you have to wait for enough moisture loss through evaporation @165F before you'll get to 203 and they won't be close to done for 14 hours+.

Once you hit 165, wrap em in foil or butcher paper, and they will keep on cooking at a 'normal' 60-90m/lb.

I just did a 6.5 shoulder and didn’t wrap but I did spritz a couple times. Took about 9 hours at 275, wasn’t dry at all and had great bark. My feeling is if time isn’t an issue why wrap at all. I did wrap in butcher paper and put it in a cooler for about an hour after it was fully cooked though.

This was on a Traeger and I used a smoke tube.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm a heathen and smoke like 90% of my meats at 250 or over these days.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok thread! Today is the big day! The first real smoke!

I started with a 13 pound brisket and cut it into thirds,
then I opened the smoker, filled the water dish, the pellet maze, and lit the pellet maze for 45 seconds until the ends got black and smoldered a bit. It was too bright out to see if they enflamed, but I came back a few minutes later and the aparatus smelled like smoke so I hope it took.
Turned on the smoker at 275 for 6 hours
Finally I rubbed one of the cuts and put it in the smoker, sealed it up, and ran here to post. Wish me luck!

I hope you kept the point intact and separated the flat in two?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zarin posted:

Best of luck!

I've struggled with pellet tubes in the past - not getting full ignition early on. I really need to upgrade to a propane torch. I think the ideal is to have the lit pellets burn for about 3-5 minutes or so in order to get the coals going well.

You need to use a propane torch and let it flame for like 5 minutes before blowing it out.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I would put that in my mouth.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
First use a propane torch instead of butane and keep the flame on the pellets for a good 60 seconds. Also you want to pack them in pretty well.

I have both the maze and the tube - I find the tube stays lit a little better than the maze.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 6, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Thanks but why propane instead of butane?

Propane torches get hotter/ put out more flame.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For what it’s worth, I also had issues with even the tube staying lit in a MES. Those things don’t have a lot of airflow. Maybe take the chip tray all the way out since you’re not using it anyway.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If you like back ribs you should definitely track down some chuck or plate ribs. Better in every way though they will cost a lot more and take longer to cook.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I love smoking chuck roasts but haven’t thought to make shepherds (cottage?) pie with it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smoking 5.5 lbs of beef plate ribs this weekend, can’t wait.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

A little broke right now so keeping it simple. Boudin, Cajun sausage, and small Chuck Roast for shredded Italian sandwiches.

Nothing wrong with a chuck roast, one of my favorite things to smoke.

Putting my Dino ribs on tomorrow around 6-7am.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Both the ambient and meat probes were off in my pellet grill - the ambient was off by like 25 degrees. I bought a Thermoworks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

If I am doing a whole tri tip, I smoke low (250-275F) to med-rare, pull and rest. Sear, rest. Serve. Either super thin slices for sandwiches or thicker slices like a steak.

That’s how I do mine, same for a picanha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We wrap and let meat rest after a smoke not to 'let the juices back in' but to let the collagen and fat continue to break down. Basically, it continues to cook while in a cooler or oven at a low temp.

Tri-tip probably does have more connective tissue than, say a ribeye or something, but not enough to bring to a brisket temp, at least I wouldn't think.

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks. This is what I was thinking. But not getting out my WSM and just doing indirect on my Weber.

Sorry for not being specific. I had just watched a bunch of videos so I had that all in my head when I posted. I'm referring to cooking it like this video (I'm guessing the cut being A9 Wagyu is doing a lot of work keeping it juicy here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeE8LO1AGKk

Yeah I think the fatty wagyu is doing some heavy lifting here.