Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You do realize Lutz hasn't been at GM since 2010, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

Every launch in car history: "What, we don't get the full spec model at the starting price??"

The difference is, when a new Odyssey comes out, you don't need to wait six months for Honda to move a bunch of Touring Elites before you can even see an LX in a showroom. This delay is even more relevant given the rapidly phasing out federal credits that I'm sure the majority of Model 3 buyers were looking to claim.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hifi posted:

I wonder what other non events the author failed to disclose

He didn't disclose that he didn't leave an upper-decker in a roadside diner's restroom. THE PUBLIC MUST KNOW.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's not bad at all. I could see eventually replacing the CR-V with the combination of a Leaf for commuting and a Suburban to haul cargo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But did you leave an upper-decker at any point along the way? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

You would save a lot on gas costs over a new gasoline car, but you'd likely never make up the cost compared to driving a year old used gasoline car. Unless you can get a smokin lease deal. Until new prices come down leaving less room for depreciation, and ranges stop going up, rapidly outdating 3 year old cars, the deprecation on an electric car will probably erase most if not all fuel savings.

At the peak of $4 gas and dirt cheap Leaf leases, my four cylinder Ranger's fuel bill alone was nearly equal to a Leaf lease payment. I would have paid a minimal monthly premium to commute in a new hatchback instead of an old rear end 180k mile compact truck.

The only reason I didn't do it is without charging at work, it wouldn't have survived round trip for three years of commuting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I bought this up only because (apparently not true) that the Leaf didn't have thermal battery management.

It has very poor thermal management, especially when dealing with high ambient temperatures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rock crawlers aren't typically worried about light weight, either. Light weight parts are broken parts. Short of going nuts with a full tube frame buggy, nearly any mod I do to my Jeep to make it a more capable offroader will also make it heavier.

There is nothing light about a GM 14-bolt axle with 40"+ tires on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fully independent hub motors would be neat, but even mounting them directly to solid axles could be very interesting from a packaging perspective. If you could cram a motor either inline in the axle tube or directly on top of it driving the stub shaft, you get rid of a lot of dangly, expensive, and fragile bits like engine/transmission oil pans, transfer cases, and driveshafts. With four motors like that you wouldn't even need ring and pinion gears, differentials, or lockers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder how many parents Honda has on the onboard vacuum cleaner in the Odyssey.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if you can make the low range work for you, the sub-100 mile cars are insanely cheap to lease.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Im not sure about that! Cars tend to ship with speed limits lower than the lowest-rated drivetrain and tires they want to include. To my knowledge, V6 mustangs have the limiter at 120 because the included tires and driveshaft aren’t supposed to go over 130.

And there absolutely are personal injury lawyers who would take that case.

Yeah, setting speed limiters based on tire choice has been a thing for ages. Early fourth generation Camaros had a ~110 mph limiter if you didn't order Z-rated tires, and the Z28 could easily top that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's pretty drat neat from both energy savings and light pollution reduction. Doesn't seem like it was ever viable before LED lighting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I’ve already switched to Uber for going out, and work will be easy enough as I’ll just keep everything in my gym bag and briefcase.

What’s going to seriously slow adoption of a pure subscription model is families. I have four kids, including two toddlers. We have supplies in every one of our cars on top of the ton of poo poo we bring with us specifically for the outing.

I don’t see driver free city centers any time soon, but who knows. I personally think we are a good 20 years out.

I've moved mostly past the point of needing anything specific in the car for the kid, aside from the car seat itself. But even that seems like a big hurdle. I don't want to haul a car seat into work because we used an autonomous ride hailing service to get there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Problem then is that car seats vary based on the size of the kid, and usually have some pain in the dick adjustment beyond that to make it actually fit.

At least she's almost big enough to just use a booster, and those are something that is pretty much one side fits most.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

We didn’t own a car until our kid was 4yo, but I didn’t take her to work so I didn’t have that problem. I could get that car seat in and out like a champ.

I don't take her to work, but her school is right along my route there, and also way too far from home to stop back there and leave the seat.

I do still think that autonomous ride-sharing could be a big improvement over car ownership for a lot of people. It might not fully replace it, but if it worked out to be cheaper to use said service than own a newer car, then I could see it making more sense to use it for most driving and push ownership towards more niche needs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

40-50 miles is pretty deep into the real-world range of a Leaf, so I wouldn't even consider it if you don't have charging at both home and work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Interesting but I guess I understand why they did that. A lot of people would get OCD about it otherwise.

I mean, it's not like they're blatantly lying. It's 100% of usable capacity, and 0% of usable capacity. The fact that you could theoretically still draw more power out of the battery pack or put more into it - while reducing the lifespan of the battery pack - isn't relevant. All of the advertising, calculated mileage, etc are all based on those defined charge levels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

If you can do it in your Civic, you can do it in most cars, can't you?

I suspect the fear comes from cars that were electrified after the day one designs, like a Focus Electric or a 500e. A lot of those have batteries sucking up cargo space.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hifi posted:

It's this.

Arizona had a alternative fuel program they had to cancel because people were abusing the system to put propane tank installation art in the back of their suburban

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/02/us/costly-plan-to-promote-alternative-fuels-jolts-arizona.html

This program was hilariously bad. My parents probably could've done a straight-across trade of the '97 Suburban which already had about 50k on it at the time for a brand new one.

It also got you the coveted Blue plate, which gets you HOV access by yourself. I still see these running around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Someone was making the point that the LED headlights don't warm up enough to melt snow, well unless you need to melt snow that is just waste heat.

I wonder what costs more in fuel mileage - HIDs that warm themselves enough to melt snow, or headlight wipers and/or squirters.

Goober Peas posted:

On most modern cars, if drivers would leave their headlight switch in the auto position they'd be fine.

I wish it'd be mandated for any car that runs dash illumination at all times (which seems to be most these days) to have automatic headlights, *and* for the switch to be set up so that the default position upon starting the car is auto mode. Give people the ability to switch them off if they really want.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They need a mechanism to get the power from the motor to the wheels with some gear reduction, but it's typically a single speed box with nothing to shift.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HFX posted:

I'm trying to understand the price structure. If I use 1000KWH its 2.8 cents per kilowatt, but 10.9 if i use 2000KWh? I'm used to see contracts where the more power I used, the cheaper it got.

Based on what Yu-Gi-Ho posts, I think that you understand it correctly. Seems that electricity is all kinds of loving weird in Texas. There have been times where he had to use more electricity to save money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The way YGH has posted, it seems like the rates listed on that table apply to your entire usage, not just the portion of usage in that. In other words, they work like how people think tax brackets work, instead of how tax brackets actually work.

So at 500 kWh, your bill is $39. That next kWh costs you $20.62.
999 kW, your bill is $118.88. The next kWh saves you $90.88.

Looking at this with actual numbers in front of me, this seems... insane.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

Does this really happen with a 2 ton family sedan beyond the 1970s?

Yeah, I'm not convinced that it does. Drove a red Mazdaspeed3 for five years, then a white CR-V for just shy of five years. Wife was pulled over once and given a verbal warning in the MS3, but never any tickets for either of us. I've eaten one ticket in the CR-V.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love how this thread runs through this cycle over and over again. :allears:

No matter how many studies you point to that say the average commute can be handled by a 100-mile battery (and how true they are), the average commuter wants a 200-300 mile range out of their car. Doesn't matter how rarely they actually drive 150+ miles in a single day, doesn't matter if they could rent a car to work around it... unless gasoline becomes completely untenable, widespread adoption of pure BEVs still hinges on that number being solved (among other issues).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: I am a pro-EV person, I am just trying to explain why people struggle with this stuff! Dismissing people's concerns as "Well that isn't actually a problem" isn't really valuable in terms of increasing EV adoption!

Same here, and agreed. Hell I'd probably be at the end of a lease on a first generation Leaf by now if my office would give me even a 120v outlet to charge from. My commute is about 50 miles round trip, but all in worst case scenarios for the Leaf. High speed highway the whole way, high temperatures with heavy HVAC use, and no battery cooling so it degrades quickly.

Even then, from a financial perspective, the Leaf was only a sure bet at $4+ a gallon for gas. Of course I was comparing it to the $2500 Ranger I had at the time...

• Locked thread