Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Does the Nexus 7 not have the little pop up help the first time you turn it on? The Galaxy Nexus has a little bubble pop up on the homescreen the first time saying something like "click <here> to access all your apps." Then you go in the app drawer and a thing pops up saying "click and hold an app to place it on your homescreen, look you have widgets over here." Not to say that everything is super intuitive, but that never struck me as the difficult part. In any case, "auto-add widget" is on by default for the Play store market Google, so once you do figure out how to download apps, you'll get them added just how you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
HSN selling electronics is always embarrassing and they're usually factually wrong about stuff. I'm surprised you're all taking it so seriously. The whole point is to get grandparents to buy stuff that they know nothing about. They regularly sell electronics with ridiculous markups. It has nothing to do with Google pushing it or Android tablet marketing in general or anything. Buy electronic, bundle $5 accessory, sell for $100 markup!

Edit: For example, I saw them selling an iPad 2 with a pack of screen protectors, a stylus, and a lovely third party case for $550... After Apple dropped the price to $400. It makes me mad when people purposely rip off grandmas trying to buy nice things for their grandkids :mad:

sourdough fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 5, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Is there a Bezos manifesto about how hardware buttons are literally The Worst Things?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Hopefully Asus gets their poo poo together.

Speaking as an owner of a $1000+ Zenbook Prime with little/not-so-little build quality issues marring an otherwise fantastic ultrabook... don't hold your breath :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

randyest posted:

Doesn't someone make a flash-capable browser like iSwifter for jellybean?

Yup, I believe Firefox handles flash just fine, but you still have to get the Flash apk itself as far as I know.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sheep posted:

I just got [a Nexus 7] on Saturday and the screen is fine.

I think this was luck of the draw for you. I got one from Staples a week ago and the screen was noticeably bad in a 2" stretch on one side. It wasn't really the screen lifting at all, but if I put any pressure on the screen there it would cave in slightly. The annoying part was I checked it when I got it and it seemed fine, so I think even light use for a day or two can bring out the screen problems. When I returned it and told him why, the Staples guy said "yeah, we've gotten some returns for that issue."

sourdough fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 2, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cragz posted:

Much the same with a purchase from Walmart during a trip to the States two weeks ago. Grabbed a replacement from the same store before my holiday ended and it's absolutely fine. Definitely luck of the draw, still.

My second one is good after two days so far :hfive: I also got a second $25 credit unintentionally. I have two Gmail accounts I use, added them both on both Nexuses, and got the Wallet prompt for one account the first time and the other account the second time. I didn't mean to steal from you Google :ohdear: except when I realized what was happening and used a different card.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Guess I'll just have my friend check it out before he sends it. Besides the screen lift, anything else I should have him check for without actually having to turn it on?

Not that I know of, everything else on mine was perfect. Also, just to be clear, mine had almost no "screen lift" just looking at it from the side, but pressing on one spot made it clear the screen wasn't seated correctly (or something) there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revolther posted:

My significant other's Transformer Infinity + Dock just arrived (well the dock a few days ago), I'll be sure to cynically poo poo all over any problems I encounter, and give some feedback regarding build quality issues.

Now you're getting into the spirit of the thread!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, what?

I thought that was over with.

Isn't that the prepaid Google Card?

I also got it after 9/30 or whenever they announced they'd end the promo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

letsgoflyers81 posted:

My 16 GB Nexus 7 has been getting sluggish lately and I've been reading that this can happen if the storage is almost full. It's running CM10 M2 (4.1.2). Looking at the screenshot below, I can't figure out where a lot of the space is being used. It only shows 4.13 GB free, but everything else it shows doesn't come anywhere near close to 9 GB. I'm assuming something has to be using that space. I only have two nandroid backups and I don't know what else it would be.

Backups can be >1GB, so it isn't totally impossible that's where your missing space went.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hoops posted:

What are the good reasons not buy a Kindle Fire HD? It seems so cheap for what it can do.

Unless you're really tied to Amazon Instant Video, the Nexus 7 is better in pretty much every way.

Edit: Haha, content, ok. The software on the Kindles is still quite poor, especially compared to stock on the Nexus. This is the real big issue. There are still no volume buttons on the Kindles. The Amazon market is pretty poor compared to Google Play. Ads on the Kindle. Everything Amazon related besides Amazon Video is available to any Android device (pretty sure, is there anything else exclusive?). Also supposedly a 32GB Nexus 7 for $250, knocking the 16GB down to $200, will be announced in a week.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 22, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

The screen is by all reports superior on the Kindle, as is the build quality.

All I saw was the color calibration is slightly worse on the Nexus. Anecdotally, I've never thought "hey the screen could really be better." You may be right, but it's nowhere near something like comparing an iPad 2 to an iPad 3 or anything :shrug:

Build quality, sure. On the bright side, just push your thumb along the edge of the screen of your shiny new Nexus. If you ever get a crunching sound and feel the screen give way, time to return it! It's ridiculous that that was ever an issue, but the newer runs seem to have cut down on this happening.

Really, software is the big issue for me, the Nexus 7 is already way ahead there to me and is going to keep getting upgrades.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

beejay posted:

I have a volume rocker on my Kindle Fire HD.

Ah good, my bad :downs: I guess I glazed over that and combined previous Fire not having them + Paperwhite lacking all audio stuff.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The two pull down shades make sense: pull down where the notifications are to see notifications, pull down where battery/time/wifi are to get to settings. I agree it takes a little bit to get used to it at first, but I think it's an improvement. I'm not sold on the lockscreen widgets, though. One small polish touch I noticed and liked is that the multitasking now zooms in and out from the list.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yet another questionable UI decision. Why was there any need to make the length of the shade dynamic? It's not like there's some sort of advantage of having a shorter shade since the shade itself has full focus when it's pulled down. There should never be a reason for adding inconsistency into the UI when it offers no functional advantage.

Shorter shade means more area where you can tap to get out of it. Turn your question around: why make the shade take up the full screen when there's no functional reason to make it do so? It's like the full screen install/uninstall pages. Using screen space efficiently is something Android tablets and apps can do a lot better and I'm glad to see some steps in that direction. I don't disagree with a lot of your other impressions about 4.2, but it feels like you're really grasping for something to dislike in this case :shobon:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cakefool posted:

I can't be the only one who's fine with the dual shades on portrait, surely?

Nope, I like em too. I'm not a fan of the rubber band effect, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

4.2.1 doesn't seem to have had any effect on random reboots or horrible battery drain.

Have you factory reset either before or after updating to 4.2.1?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No.

If I end up having to do a factory reset, I'm just going to roll back to 4.1.2 in the process. There's nothing in 4.2.x so far that I want to use anyways.

Just wondering, as I haven't noticed any random shutdowns or horrible battery drain in either the 4.2 or 4.2.1 OTAs, so I suspect 4.2.x isn't super buggy so much as some people had the upgrade go wonky.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I was able to do that before 4.2, but since the update is just isn't happening.

Completely appalling. Notice too that I'm somehow getting screen on time and the thing isn't registering as awake.

That is really weird. I've got 4.2 on my Nexus 7 and just put it on my Galaxy Nexus and neither one has much if any difference in battery life. I hope going back to 4.1 fixes it for you, but I'd be a little worried something weird happened with the hardware coincidentally around the same time the update happened (not terribly likely, I know :shrug:). With light use, I'm still getting around 5d at least, leaving wifi and syncing on. Currently at 5d7h, 65% battery, one bout of charging from ~50 to ~85% two days ago. I also noticed a couple "screen on" blips without "awake" blips. I don't know, but at least 4.2 isn't universally broken, so you should be able to get better than what you're seeing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

And after you sideload Flash you have to install a browser that can make use of it. Flash is dead unless you have a Playbook (lol).

Firefox plays Flash just fine once you've sideloaded it and is a decent browser on Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

What kind of battery life are people getting out of the Nexus 10? I'm seeing crazy fast drain on standby to where letting it sit for a little over 24 hours cost 40% battery, let alone from actually using it. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of taking it back.

I'd agree to try killing Currents, but I haven't touched location services and haven't had any bad battery issues. While I don't remember exactly and haven't tested it, I think I see something along the lines of 5-10% per day.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

What kind of battery life are people getting out of the Nexus 10? I'm seeing crazy fast drain on standby to where letting it sit for a little over 24 hours cost 40% battery, let alone from actually using it. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of taking it back.

Hey kitten smoothie, just an update on this as I finally let my Nexus 10 sit for a 24 hour period. Took it to work and back home, on wifi at both places, syncing two Gmail accounts and FB/twitter/G+. It ended up at 96% after 24 hours. That's including 25 minutes of wake time from Google Maps, which was at like 25% of battery used and 2nd after "Android OS." I just disabled it so it isn't showing up on the battery info anymore. Did you try wiping yours and seeing if it helped?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Put the tablet in the case upside-down and use it left-handed. The only thing is the buttons are a bit harder to hit and you'd have to make your own speaker cutout.

Just put it in the case normally and turn the whole thing over. All the cutouts will be in the right place and you quickly get used to buttons being on bottom left instead of top right. I liked holding my Nexus 7 in my right hand and got annoyed with the clasp thing, but simply flipping it 180 degrees made it all better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Now to find an InfinityBlade.ipa that I can rename to InfinityBlade.apk!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

4.2.1 seems like a huge clusterfuck. What are the advantages over 4.1.1? Now that it's known to have so many issues, why do people still upgrade to it and/or not reflash 4.1.1? What's the big draw?

I don't use bluetooth and so far haven't seen any noticeable bugs. I like stock rather than CM, so the quick toggles are nice to have.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nexus 7 (2013) or Nexus 7 (2nd gen)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FordPRefectLL posted:

I would find a Nexus 10 16GB for $399 if you are going to go that route. Do you have a Staples nearby?

Yup, this is a better option for you. Multiuser support got added to Android in 4.2, which the Note 10.1 doesn't have yet (right?). It also has a better screen, hardware, and is cheaper. The Nexus 10 will also keep getting updates, new features, and bug fixes much more quickly than the Note. Unless you need a special feature that only the Note has, you'll be better off with the Nexus 10.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Edit: I guess we could swing by Staples and see how we like the Nexus 10 and then purchase a 16 GB model directly from Google.

This is what I ended up doing. I think Walmart also sells them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Retailers only have the 32GB model for $499. The only place to get the 16GB is the Play store for $399 which ends up being close to $450 with tax and shipping.

I know, that was two separate statements, despite me mashing them together to make them seem related. He asked about any other places to see one in person before buying direct from Google.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kstatix posted:

Anyway, I was talking about the backup option within CWM. Am I understanding this right that this is a full system backup that restores a carbon copy top to bottom?

Should I be in another thread?

Yes to your backup within CWM question. Also, try the rooted Android thread. For any of the Nexus devices, you don't really need to wade through XDA or other forums to simply root it, they're made to be easily unlocked and rooted. The rooted thread might have some advice on custom roms, if you can say what features you're looking for that aren't in stock.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Was that the one with wifi problems? I know gps was hosed on it, but I think it also lacked any non-metal window in the casing and that made for poor wifi reception.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

On the nexus 7, how do I make an app the default app to open again? Facebook links no longer open that app, but instead Chrome, and I am not sure how to change it back.

Drag Chrome from your app drawer up to "app info," then hit "clear defaults." It'll clear everything related to Chrome, unfortunately, but then you can select the Facebook app as the default next time you open a Facebook link.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Christoff posted:

Yeah I got titanium backup trying to figure out how to use it. What's wrong with the way it backs up to your google account?

I don't know it seems like I couldn't because I might brick it? Something about them changing the partion of the software or some poo poo. It's all very confusing and new to me.

Google "backs up" the apps you install in the sense that it keeps a record of those apps and will reinstall them fresh on a new device. It doesn't back them up in the sense of keeping app data: save games and other data will NOT be backed up.

Titanium Backup will keep app data. If you tell it to back up an app, you can then copy the files to a new device and restore them, keeping things like save games, app settings, etc.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harminoff posted:

So I have an hp touchpad running android which I really enjoy. Recently upgraded it to android 4.2.2 which has multi account support. I set up two accounts, one for me and one for someone else that uses it. My only issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to either share or move apps from one account to the other. Is this possible somehow?

The whole point of multiple user accounts is to have separate accounts. If you want to share apps, why not use a single account? Google didn't add in multiple accounts so that you could share paid apps between users, for example. They did it so people could share a single device, while still having all their personal stuff sectioned off from each other.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

It doesn't make sense because it doesn't work like PC/Mac/Linux which give access to installed software for different accounts while keeping mail and personal things separate.

I'm not saying it couldn't work a different way. However, it seems to me the model is rather different between Android and PC. All your Google stuff is tied to your Google account. You can install whatever software is tied to your account on whatever hardware is also tied to your account. Computer software is often licensed to specific hardware, where you can officially only install it on X machines. They're just very different models.

I see Google as much more similar to something like Steam, which (at least by default) ties everything to a specific user. Unless you're willing to share a Steam account, you don't get to freeload games that other users of the computer have purchased, right? You can keep everything separate, both personal stuff and games, or you can share it and just use one user account on the computer.

Jerk's suggestion is one solution, but since you can't move purchased stuff from one account to another, you have to plan it that way from the start.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tori CMOS posted:

You know what else has a large battery, USB, an SD slot, folds to an inch or less, has a track pad, and has all sorts of key functions? A laptop.

A lot of people who think they "need" a tablet with a keyboard and a trackpad actually need a laptop.

Windows 8 ultrabook with touchscreen crew represent :hf:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't know if "literally falling apart after 1.5 years of light to average wear and tear" is a great endorsement. In terms of tablets, HP's Touchpad wasn't great for durability, with cracking of the case a common complaint, especially around the speakers.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'd just add that I find typing is much easier on the smaller 7 than the 10. Holding the 7 in portrait, I really don't need to stretch or strain to reach the whole keyboard. Its like typing on a phone, but with a roomier keyboard. I usually type on the 10 in portrait, but there are times where I need to reposition my hands or stretch a lot to reach something. For that reason, if you're really going to be typing a ton on it as the primary purpose, without some bluetooth keyboard or something, I might recommend the 7.

For almost everything else, the 10 is a lot nicer. The screen is fantastic. And anyway, the typing difference probably isn't enough to outweigh all the cooler stuff about the 10.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Loucks posted:

My wife's Nexus 10 freezes up every day or two and she has to reboot it. It's not rooted, and she doesn't have anything all that resource intensive other than Chrome running on it. Googling seems to indicate that this is a common thing. Is there a known fix, or is that just the Android Experience?

I haven't ever had that happen, but I'd expect a factory reset could help. If that fails, since you've got a Nexus you can relatively easily reflash the stock software, which could also possibly help. If that also doesn't help, if you bought it direct from Google, you can likely RMA it pretty painlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

A huge, heavy tablet doesn't really sound appealing to me at all. As a laptop it sounds fine, though the form factor looks awkward when used that way. I'm betting battery life is not very good, either, if that matters to you.

Android wakelocks when you suspend Windows :mmmhmm: