Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

tomm posted:

I wasn't originally bothered so much by the screen lift issues on my Nexus 7 but it's gotten worse to the point where if I push down on the left side of the screen it's registering touches on the right side.

I think it needs replacing. However, I've unlocked the bootloader and am using CM nightlies :ohdear: if I do somehow get it replaced, is it possible for me to flash back to stock so they can't tell?

You could just reinstall the stock image from here:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

And then relock the bootloader the same way you unlocked it except with the lock command. (fastboot oem lock) It sounds like your tablet is still working for the most part so you shouldn't have any trouble with those steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my battery issue on my Nexus 7.

Are you sure that's what's actually draining the battery? I have the same wifi setting enabled and I see wifi on most of the time the screen is off, but I'm not getting the same battery drop. You might want to check out BetterBatteryStats, that gives so much more detail it could help you find the root cause of the battery issue.

Also have you restarted the tablet since you started seeing this problem? I had a wifi related wakelock problem once and restarting it seemed to fix it (or at least made the problem go away).

My tablet:
http://imgur.com/50xJu

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

There's really no evidence of that yet (it's actually only a 1MB patch.)

I saw a few people on XDA (yeah, I know) say that bluetooth was still garbage on it.

The most tangible thing reported is December is back in the people app.

From the changes here it doesn't look like anything major was changed, aside from fixing the December issue:
http://www.funkyandroid.com/aosp-JOP40C-JOP40D.html

While it's possible something changed in the bluetooth binaries, that seems pretty unlikely considering how quickly this came out.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Does lightflow work properly with the new Nexus 7? The notification light turns on but it's always white. Even when trying out the test all notifications mode it's still only white. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my settings or if I just need to wait for an update.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Don Lapre posted:

Its a white LED.

Well, that's disappointing. Thanks for the info though.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am flying to England soon and I want to make maps of London available offline on my N7.

I have found that I can center the maps app on a location and then press "Make this map area available offline", but I see no further confirmation that I am doing things right. Before I get lost in London, please give me any tips you've got for cached navigation. Specifically, I want to know:

- How can I confirm what areas are cached locally? (Maybe see a box drawn around them)
- How do I delete the local cache when I am done? (Is it automatic after x time?)
- Can I save an entire route, such as a specific train route that I will be traveling, so I can look up the whole journey while offline?

In the old maps there was a list of locations cached, but in the current maps there's no way to tell. I don't think you can delete them without clearing the app's data.

Also, keep in mind that it is only caching the map tiles, you can't look up directions without a data connection. If you look up directions before disconnecting they'll still be there, and I've heard that if you start navigation while connected to data it will continue to work as long as it doesn't need to recalculate the route.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
While I wait for any of the official accessories to come out I just bought this because it was cheap and fits reasonably well:

AmazonBasics 10-Inch Tablet Sleeve

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with Lollipop on the N7? I've been using it since it came out and it's been working better than it ever had under KitKat--even the Developer Preview was a vast improvement.

On the N7 it's fine, on the N5 and N9 there are wifi issues. I can't connect to my work wifi with either device. It's especially annoying since the issue was reported as far back as the first L developer preview.

https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=1548

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=78702

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Caphi posted:

Oh, the origami cover. Sorry, mine's the folio.

You'd think the origami cover would be the easier one to produce, so something really must have gone wrong with the entire batch.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

So I got the Office HTC Magic Cover in the mail today...

It's a complete joke. Seriously. It's 100% useless. It slides around, barely stays attached, and the corners pop up. Why is it so hard for Android tablets to have nice accessories? I'm probably going to switch to an iPad I dislike the case so much.

I canceled my Amazon order after seeing HTC sell them (briefly) for half off. If I can get it or the keyboard cover for half price I think I'd be ok with it.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

Why in the hell would they do this and push 5.0.2 at the same time?

The 5.0.2 update changed some stuff in the recovery to allow for larger OTA updates, so if 5.1.1 is a really large change that may have been necessary. We'll know soon anyway.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

That line of thinking still doesn't makes sense as there would have been no reason to rev the version number. If recovery needed to be patched to allow 5.1 update, then they could have pushed just a patch for that.

Why wouldn't they change the version number? I don't think Google has ever released 2 updates for the same device that used the same version number, no matter how small the changes between versions are. That makes sense to me since you don't want 2 different versions of software referred to by the same name. Also, it looks like the G+ post says 5.1.1, so we'll see which one is right.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

bull3964 posted:

Yes, yes they have. They've done it recently even.

Right now, the Nexus 6 has 3 different 5.1.0 versions and the Nexus 5 has 2.

Oh right, I forgot about that weirdness. In that case, I don't know why they did it that way, unless it was to just try and trick people.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Alarbus posted:

The M preview is much, much better than 5.1.1. Kind of dumb to have it sub par for so long, but this is substantially better and smoother.

The doze feature is pretty impressive too, the battery hardly dropped overnight. That was the main reason I wanted to try M, maybe my Nexus 9 will finally have the idle battery life of an iPad 2.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Assuming the Nest Hub is the same as the Google Home Hub I can definitely cast to mine, it shows up as "Living Room display" in the list of cast targets. I can also interact with it by touch, I forget if you have to tap or swipe but you can control playback on the display. I have mine set up in the same room as the chromecast attached to the TV, so when I'm casting to the TV I can also control the chromecast with voice and touch via the hub.

I did notice that Google Play Music works differently when casting to the hub. To a chromecast it just shows cover art and playback progress, but on the hub it also shows lyrics if they're available.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Any good USI styluses? With the Pixel Tablet supporting USI 2.0 I want to try it out.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

hotsauce posted:

What ya'll want to know? I have a USI stylus on the way, should be here tomorrow.

I'm curious how well the stylus works, I see a few on Amazon but obviously none have been tested with this tablet yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

hotsauce posted:

Got the pen. Went for the "Made for Fire tablet" one here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ89FPSR

I figured if Amazon pays this Chinese factory to make an OEM device, it's going to work, and it works as you'd suspect. Lag is very minimal and it writes legibly (although I can't). I don't draw but basic sketches are fine with no jaggy lines, etc.

I believe any USI 2.0 one will work, which this one is.

Edit: I find it funny (I think) that this thread continues to be dead. Everyone bitched when Google exited the tablet game, and now that they are back, nobody seems to care. :lol:

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it works well. I don't really draw or anything either but this seems like it would be fun to try out.

I think there's just not much to say about the tablet, it works well for the basic stuff I've done with it. I still haven't gotten around to actually casting anything to it to see how the speakers sound but I assume it should do its job.

One thing I did notice is a few apps that are installed on my phone show up as "Not available for device" so we'll see if the release gets developers to update their apps.