Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

What have other Prime users done to secure their microsd card from falling out?
They fall out? I've got one in mine right now and it's hard to put in and take out as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I see a light at the end of the tunnel! The Transformer Prime Keyboard Dock in Champagne Gold was for sale for probably all of 60 seconds at NewEgg.com!

Yay, another waiting list to be on! Exclamation point! :smith:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rastor posted:

Hey just postin' from my ASUS Transformer Prime.
Sup fellow ASUS Transformer Prime owner!

I had the identical experience; it just worked right out of the box, wow! Within a couple of weeks there was an over the air update that changed the user interface a bit ... so now it's even better! In fact, I swear it nearly doubled the battery life as well.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Internaut! posted:

To me, a device with only half the advertised battery life isn't really "working right out the box", but to each their own.

Rastor posted:

I assumed he meant that it now had greater than advertised battery life.
Yes, thank you; when I first got it I could get about 24 to 30 hours out of it with the kids using it. Now I get about 48 hours out of it. I use it check email, login remotely to my servers, and use Google Reader. In the evenings I watch Netflix for an hour or so. My kids use it to play every damned game they can find; currently little Empire, Where's my Water, and Princess Punt.

Also, got my keyboard last week on Friday but haven't had much of a chance to learn it's pro's and con's other than it sure beats pecking away at the on-screen keyboard when typing here.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Hi, it's one of those Prime owners that is happy with their tablet. You don't see us post here often because we're not looking for solutions to problems we don't have or bitching about issues we don't have.

I wish there was some way of knowing how many hosed-up Prime tablets there are. I mean, how much noise is coming from dissatisfied owners? How many were returned? Maybe a few years down the road some disgruntled ASUS employee will release numbers.

In the meantime if anyone is wondering if they're worth the price, I would say yes. I would recommend them (and have recommended them) to people looking for a tablet. Get one with problems? Return it.

What's it like? Prior to the ICS update it was fast and responsive, although the UI was a bit wonky. Now with ICS it's not at all wonky and pretty intuitive to navigate and use. The external speaker is ... mono. The headphone plugin speaker is fantastic! Easily the best audio I've had from a portable device.

I've had no problems finding every app I want for it. I'm told some are scaling up and I've seen the Skype screenshot (which is pretty hilarious) but nothing I use looks like that. My kids use the Prime as much as I do. They play games on it and use the camera a lot (in particular the Paper Camera app). The battery lasts about two days of our use. I've read you can get eight or ten hours of life watching videos on it. I've yet to actually transfer any movie over and watch it - we just watch Netflix.

I also have the keyboard dock. It's a perfect match for the tablet (of course) and for me its battery extends the use of the tablet about a day. I wish the keys were larger, I have to type slower on it than with my desktop keyboard, but then we're comparing a desktop keyboard to a netbook keyboard really. I don't like the touchpad. I understand why they put it there but I still don't like it. My netbook had a touchpad and I disabled it within minutes of unboxing it.

The power cable doesn't seem short to me. I've had my Prime charging next to my computer, the power running to the power strip. I've since moved it to my dresser so I have more desk space. It takes about two and a half to three hours to charge fully. I've not tried to charge it through the USB because I've read that it's slow and I'm not a masochist. I've used the USB cable to transfer music to the Prime. I've read that it uses a special protocol to do this and I've read a lot of complaints about it ... but in my experience I just plugged the Prime into my desktop computer via the USB cable and it "just worked". No loving around with anything.

Transfer was slow ... maybe because I don't have a USB 2.0 port? I ended up using the micro sd card to do it. I've just left the card in the tablet. I've read others complaining about how much it sticks out, etc,... I've not had a problem. I guess my tablet protector is thick enough that the card never gets bumped.

So, overall I'm very satisfied and don't regret my purchase. I would recommend an Android tablet (the Prime in particular) to any of my family or friends. Every update to the tablet so far has made it faster and easier to use. This is in direct contrast to my Apple experience on upgrades where every iOS update slowed my phone down and made it more difficult to use.

Will I ever buy an iPad? Sure! My wife has the latest iPhone and can't leave her apps. I'm assuming she can just do what I did with my tablet and download all of the apps I paid for on my phone.

[edit] Oh, I bought a stylus for my tablet so I could draw. It's not that great ... but then the Atmel maXStylus is coming out and supposedly will have excellent resolution and quality. If it's compatible with the Prime I'll definitely get one.

fondue fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 8, 2012

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Best case scenario, it does exactly what you want with no fuss. Worst case you sell your iPad 3 for no loss when you decide it doesn't. Why play Android tablet roulette when there's a no-downside option right there?
Great idea! Where can I buy the iPad 3?

I went to the Apple store online, there was only an iPad 2 for sale.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

El Duke posted:

this is entirely false.
I disagree. I own a 3, 3gs, and the latest iPhone and only on the 4s do I see improvements; the 3 is unusable due to OS updates and the 3gs is terribly slow now.

In contrast, each update of Android has made my phone and tablet experience more usable and faster.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kynetx posted:

iSuppli is considered to be extremely reliable. Remember that these huge profit margins are the very core of the business model. iTunes sells iPods. Apps sell iPhones. It's the opposite of game consoles,etc. They have ungodly sums of cash on hand and can negotiate very unique deals with it.
Hell, Google's business model relies on giving away the OS in exchange for data gathering and ad serving with apps and media sales as gravy on top of that.
Also, Apple is well known for being supply-chain geniuses, ordering their needed components months ahead of demand.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

zachol posted:

Asus usually makes good products. I am super happy with my Transformer, I've got a motherboard from them, and the handful of people I've talked to that have one of their laptops are fans. Personally I'm willing to chalk up the Prime fiasco as "some idiot dictated that they ship it before it was ready."
Although at this point I certainly wouldn't preorder anything from them. I don't preorder stuff anyway, but I extra-special wouldn't preorder from Asus.
I'm in the same boat; My motherboard is an ASUS, second one I've owned and I've never had a problem with it. I had one of their netbooks, too, and it worked flawlessly for years and I sold it.

I guess I'm one of those magical people whom have never had a problem with their Transformer - it was updated two weeks after I bought it to ICS and runs great! Every update they pushed out seemed to make it run faster.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a friend or family however I would also caution anyone to wait a bit on the purchase of any ASUS tablet as the launch of the Transformer was poorly done and obviously premature.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

golgo13sf posted:

Do you people ever recognize your cognitive dissonance or do you generally need someone to point it out.
Maybe you don't know what cognitive dissonance is? It means that someone is holding two conflicting beliefs.

So I posted that I've used ASUS products for nearly a decade and only have read that the Transformer Prime I purchased has had a poor experience with some users. Do you invalidate all Apple products because some users had signal issues with the iPhone 4? No, other than that they've had a pretty good track record. The same with ASUS, they've had a good track record with their products but this recent incident with the Transformer seems to be the exception.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Toshiba to make quad-core Android 4.0 tablets in 7, 10, and 13 inch sizes

I'm really grateful that my Transformer Prime is so light for its size but holding it in my hands for a few minutes it seems to get heavier and heavier. I can only imagine a 13 inch tablet would be very heavy unless they make the screen out of plastic, and their target audience are users over 50? Not exactly the type to carry a heavy tablet around.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

No, you're pretty much dead-on. I got to see those tablets at CES, and the 13-incher was just kinda chilling out in a display box with tech reporters looking at it and loudly wondering :wtc:.
That's my reaction honestly.

In using my tablet, btw, I thought about it and realized that I seldom ever carry the thing - it spends its time propped-up in its cover. I suppose then a 13 inch tablet wouldn't be that bad for some seniors.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vagrancy posted:

ASUS have begun rolling out an ICS stability update to the original Transformer:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/24/ics-update-build-9-2-1-21-for-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-tf101-rolling-out-now/
Mine has been so rock solid I've not noticed it needed stabilizing. Still, I'll take it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah you don't tend to see people post "Oh hey I had my Nexus 7/iPad/Toyota Camry for 2 months now and evertyhing is working fine, just thought I should let everyone know".
During the avalanche of the 'ASUS Transformer Prime sucks!' myself and a couple of others posted how ours were working just fine.

I've had mine since January and have been very happy with it. I think it was in February when we moved to ICS and it's been pretty smooth and responsive. Even prior it wasn't that bad. I use it to browse SA, play a few games like Triple Town or Words with Friends. I read Facebook with it and use the default browser for the internet. I even used it briefly as a camera but it's at best awkward and really a better tool to view pictures than take them.

Wifi is fine from all over my house, though I'm never more than a floor or 30 feet from the router. GPS is a non-starter for me, I didn't buy it for GPS. None the less, they sent me two snap-in GPS receivers that work fantastic. I've only played with them in the house and never taken them on a trip.

I bought the keyboard to go with it, but have found that I seldom use it other than as a backup battery. My next tablet I won't bother with any kind of keyboard.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Frozen-Solid posted:

There was one update that horribly broke ICS for a while on the Prime (lockups and sleep of death), but that was fixed within a week. I love my Prime. I can't wait for JB, which hopefully we'll get in a week or so.
I never experienced it - but I think I live a charmed life so there's that.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

uapyro posted:

Looks like the TF700T had a Jelly Bean release today; but for Sweden only at the moment.
An ASUS rep said that the TF201 will be updated to Jelly Bean in the USA in the next 48 hours.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

uapyro posted:

What I saw said the TF700 and TF201 within 72 hours. I'm pretty surprised still from the very recent update.

I agree, it made me think that the hardware isn't very different between them.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I've been very happy with my Transformer Prime which I bought this January but I just noticed that the camera no longer works. I'm not sure if it was due to the upgrade to Jelly Bean or if it just up and failed. Has anyone heard of this problem as a known issue?

I suspect it's not as I dug around the internet looking for anyone else with a similar issue and came up empty handed.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

How do you remove screens? On my Transformer I have five but really only use three.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 7 (2013) or Nexus 7 (2nd gen)
Nexus 7²

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

Was that the one with wifi problems? I know gps was hosed on it, but I think it also lacked any non-metal window in the casing and that made for poor wifi reception.
Yes it is, I own one. Comparing it to my phone, it gets about 33% less range. For me it's a non-issue as I only use it in the house and for that it works just fine. The backplane they released was for the GPS. I can't imagine why you'd even use a GPS on a tablet unless you had 3G built into it. I tried to be clever on one trip by pre-downloading some google maps and frankly it wasn't worth it.

Other than that I've had it for over a year now (bought in Jan '12) and ASUS has been good with the updates. It's worth $200 but I wouldn't pay much more for it now considering the Nexus series is out.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

seravid posted:

You guys are apparently forgetting the inconspicuous ASUS Transformer Prime GPS Extension Kit that was generously offered made available for free for a limited period of time to the tablet's owners. They didn't have to because "the Transformer Prime is not a professional GPS device", you know, but due to their "unwavering commitment to customers" they did it anyway, god bless their souls.

See if you can spot it!

I put in a request for one back when the offer was around and they sent me two.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Didn't the whole transformer line get upgraded to Jelly Bean, or was the TF101 excluded?
My TF201 did.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So, any good new android tablets on the horizon? My ASUS transformer is 18 months old now and I would like to upgrade this year .

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Christoff posted:

Why is the Transformer series so hated here? I know it had faulty hardware issues and such which the tf700 mostly fixed. And aside from being a little sluggish at times it's pretty drat cool

I just wish more tablets had things like expandable memory and USB

I don't hate my tf201, I love it! Its just that 18 months have passed and I assume technology progressed so I want better/ faster/ more.

The HP looks great, thanks!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I don't know that I would touch the HP ... Anything else, I would avoid.
I know; I was hoping there were a lot of options out there and perhaps something better than a Nexus 10 with a Tegra 4. Ultimately I am hoping a whole bunch of Tegra 4 based products are announced/released for the fall and Xmas season.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anyone have an experience with the Galaxy Tab series? Samsung sent me a promo on their new Galaxy Tab 3 series and frankly my 18-month-old ASUS TF201 is getting pretty long in tooth. The specs say '1280x800 TFT' and '1.6GHz Dual Core', is that decent for the up-coming generation of tablets or should I just wait out for a refresh of the Nexus 10 line?

You know, doing some quick comparisons it seems like just a middle of the road tablet.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think it is even middle of the road, it is downright low end. There is no reason to get that over a Nexus 10 right now, let alone after a refresh. Since you've already got something with as good a screen, you'd really only be getting a maybe noticeable processor bump from what you currently have. Definitely not worth it. Wait for something with a massively upgraded screen or go for the Nexus 10.
Thanks, I appreciate that!

I think I'll just wait-out for the next big thing, the new nvidia processor sounds good and I have been anticipating a refresh. Samsungs offer to buy my TF201 as a 'trade-in' to lower the price of the Tab 3 was enticing until I really compared the specs.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

waffle posted:

Yeah, if you're wanting something that will feel speedy into the future and are replacing an older tablet, I don't think I could even recommend the Nexus 10. While the Nexus 10 is fine, I'd be surprised if there aren't a whole bunch of much faster alternatives 6 months from now.

Thanks, I'm beginning to think a new tablet will be a Christmas buy.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Dear Google,

Please refresh the N10 as well.

Kisses,
Fondue

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Evil Robot posted:

Refresh it with what exactly? There's not much higher end in terms of screen or processor yet. Do you just want a materials refresh?

I thought there was a new chipset coming out from NVidia? I guess I was waiting for that. And maybe an Ice Cream dispenser, I don't know.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ars Technica has a nice liveblog going as usual.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

"We won't require you to have the same operating system on all devices." :iceburn:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

They'll introduce a 7" Galaxy Note tablet and an 8" Galaxy Note phone.

This is a plausible scenario considering the vendor.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

People with Transformers all killed themselves at this point.

Edit: Or bought iPads.

I own a TF201 ... when I got it I was very happy with it, in particular after the update which upgraded the entire OS. Compared now to my phone it seems pretty slow and unresponsive, though I still use it for everything I bought it for; browsing recipes, reading the SA and other forums, playing games. I do wish it was faster and more responsive but come January I'll have had it for two years and felt I got my moneys worth. Then I'll buy another 10" Android tablet.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SeaWolf posted:

I feel the same way, except I'm so hopelessly addicted to the keyboard dock I don't even want to consider another tablet without one. I wish ASUS would come out with a new android Transformer. I hate ASUS and their support, but god I need that sweet sweet keyboard dock.
I got a lot of utility out of the keyboard dock the first year; I used it as a keyboard as well as battery backup while I volunteered on the local sports team. Once I was done with that I seldom docked the tablet though, it was just cumbersome. I liked that it was an option though as on a few long trips the keyboard could recharge the tablet so one kid could play games while the other used mom's phone.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Guillermus posted:

I've had an Asus TF Prime with the dock for almost 2 years and I love it. Recently I unlocked it and flashed an unofficial CM 10.2 for it and not only I have no complaints, but it scratched the itch I had for a nexus tablet. Hate on Asus all you want, mine is awesome :colbert:

That's funny you would state that; I've done the exact same thing with my TF Prime for the exact same reason! I too love the tablet, it's served me well for two years and CM 10.2 has given it new life.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Popero posted:

For the most part I've been very very happy with my TF201, but I have been planning on getting a new Nexus 10 whenever those come around. ..
Though it's only been two years, so maybe I'll hang on for a bit more.

I'm in this boat; updating to cm10.1 has given new life to my tf201 so I can wait for the next nexus at my leisure - I'm browsing the forum on it right now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Both the 16GB and 32GB Nexus tablets are sold out on the Play store now. No idea if that means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SB35 posted:

LG G Pad 8.3" for only $250 might be a better choice. It's also supported as a GPE device so it should be kept up to date better than Samsung's devices if that's important to you.

Other than the slightly larger screen how does it compare to a Nexus 7? Is the Nexus 7 faster? Does anyone know?