Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I loves me some Olly Moss. Just wanted to share one of his recent movie posters he did for My Neighbor Totoro. Managed to snag one of the regular versions, they're taking their sweet time getting it shipped (ordered before Christmas...), but I can't wait to get it framed:

Regular

Variant

Be sure to click for big to see the Catbus in the background :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Physical posted:

Holy poo poo.

Does it make me an awful person for wanting to get this tattooed on me? I really wouldn't but drat these other posters for this movie are so great I want them all over my room and for everyone to see.

If you like it, Mondo is selling some of them tomorrow at some point. They will post the sale link on Twitter when it goes online at a random time, usually anywhere from 10am-1pm EST. Their posters always go really fast, so my recommendation is sign up for an account on their site and get to F5ing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dillbag posted:

Sigourney Weaver in the clichéd "walking away from the photoshop explosion whilst wearing sunglasses" routine. Really? Sigourney Weaver?

:stare:

Until reading the poster credits and seeing your comment, I seriously thought that was Johnny Depp.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LesterGroans posted:

This one is pretty great too(by the same artist):

Did....he just photoshop this from some existing production still of Olivia Wilde? Because holy poo poo that is just fantastic.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know theres a bunch of Olly Moss/Mondo poster fans here, so I wanted to make sure everyone knew that they are (finally) doing a timed poster release, so everyone that wants to buy one of these has a chance.

It's $40, and you have until midnight EST tonight to order one. As an added incentive, one lucky buyer gets a "golden ticket" inserted with their order, which gives you the ability to commission Olly Moss to design you a poster of anything you want. :allears: It's too bad I don't care much for the movie or poster, otherwise I'd be all over it just for that chance.

Go here to buy: http://www.mondotees.com/The_Dark_Knight_Rises_p_535.html

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Momotaros posted:

There's not too many fake/counterfeit Mondo prints our there on the Internet, right? Anyone know of a good place to look for some of the older prints other than eBay?

You can check out expressobeans.com but be prepared for some intense poster sperging and probably high prices.

However, (briefly) joining that forum got me all kinds of knowledge on DIY archival framing and since having a bad experiencing getting my Olly Moss Totoro poster professionally framed I've turned to doing it all myself. Not that difficult and it saves you a ton of money. I even documented the process when I framed up a woodblock print recently with the intention of starting a thread somewhere about DIY framing, but that somehow fell through the cracks...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

New Olly Moss posters being released by Mondo tomorrow:

I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and own a number of Olly Moss' posters, but this one is really putting me to sleep.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm all for minimalism but I just find that poster to be incredibly bland for films with such rich, beautiful imagery. Instead you just get black, grainy blahhh. You can get a good idea of what this will look like IRL by taking a look at close-ups for his Super Mario and Zelda posters, which are essentially identical in composition to these:

blur city

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 12, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Why do people keep posting his dog poo poo aesthetic posters?

Gosh it's almost like this is a thread about movie posters or something.

He has made some great stuff in the past. I think this is an excellent piece though I'm a bit biased as I was present at the screening and own it:

Not all of his art is poo poo. I just personally think these ones are.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm not particularly trying to defend my fondness of the Robocop poster, but I just want to link you the entire series that poster came from: http://omgposters.com/2010/07/31/olly-moss-2010-rolling-roadshow-poster-series/ This should make it more obvious why certain colors were used and style elements like scuff marks are also present.

It looks pretty loving badass in my orange brushed alumminum frame tho. :colbert:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mondo needs to stop releasing Jurassic Park posters and finish the poster series they have already started, like Ghibli. I mean really,

do we need

yet another

poster from this film?

Those are all from Mondo, all in 2012.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm going to take a swing in the dark here and guess that nerds still loving love Jurassic Park and people both want to create these posters and purchase them. Not taking away from Jurassic Park as it's a favorite of mine as well but I'd say they're a slam dunk on both ends from Mondo regardless of how good the actual poster is.

I never said I didn't understand why they are releasing these. It's an obvious pander/money grab which is becoming more obvious as time goes by. Now I may be biased, as I own a few posters they've released, but I feel like the quality is starting to tank compared to previous years. That Ken Taylor poster is poo poo and they recently released a poster which I think is ugly as sin:

I mean, what the gently caress.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mister Chief posted:

I took like 2 months for this to arrive from Canada and then another month for me to get it framed and I still haven't gotten around to putting it up. It should be noted that the blues are closer to the image you posted than how they appear in mine.

I went with the same black matte with a painted bezel as I did with my Kill Bill poster.

That looks incredible. Can I ask about the mat? Did you have it professionally framed or did you paint it yourself? I'd love to try doing that myself for a frame job but am not sure about the logistics.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CloseFriend posted:

This seems like the best thread to ask… Do you guys have any places you recommend for buying frames online? I have a ton of film posters and now that I'm not a college student I don't feel right displaying them without frames. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to these things, so cheaper is better. Also, I have a 1' × 3' Robby the Robot poster and I cannot find a frame that size anywhere.

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and learn how to DIY it. After a bad experience at a professional framing place I decided to try my hand at it myself, so far its been fun and I'm saving a ton of cash. Unfortunately I've only got this one image to show you of my efforts as the rest are on my home machine. I buy a lot of my framing material from American Frame, they normally have free shipping when you spend over $75. Right now they are running a special, free shipping on orders over $40+. If you want to use plexiglass for your glazing, you can buy everything you need from them. Otherwise, buy everything but the glass and source that locally (I use Hobby Lobby).

I learned how to DIY archival frame after I found the ExpressoBeans forum which is mostly a lot of people sperging about collecting art prints and movie posters. The do have a 'Framing Corner' with helpful threads and a lot of photos to give you ideas on composition. Here's some I've referenced a lot:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=80968 Frame assembly from start to finish, read first!
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=67965 More assembly, this time with no spacers.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62356 More of the same, with spacers and no mat.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62429 Learn how to 'float' a print. (I did this in my framed woodblock above.)

I really liked the spacers used in many of the above threads, and ended up buying them from here: http://www.artright.com/spacers.htm Works great if you want to go mat-less.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 28, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The last thing I saw Harnett in was the absurd, generally not-great Bunraku.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181795/

Every time I see someone mention this I get really excited, then I remember its not actually a movie about bunraku. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh man the latest in Mondo's Ghibli movie poster series are finally going to be released at SDCC next week!!!

...oh. :( I know when I think of Studio Ghibli films, my first thought is of drab doom and gloom. Seriously though, the poster for Spirited Away is so off the mark for the movie's tone, if I didn't know better I would think it was a horror film about a girl about to be murdered by a ghost. Where's the color and the life in these?

Mondo has some Pacific Rim posters for SDCC too which I was excited about until I got to see them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wow, I love that Conan poster but Mondo's bullshit limited edition way of doing things is assing me out. What a pisser. I'm going to go over to the Goon Market or whatever it's called and see if I can pay someone to buy it for me.

Edit: You know what? This will sell out in like 20 seconds. Why even bother?

They're actually only releasing them at the convention so you're SOL unless you or a proxy can be there to buy one for you. If they have leftovers they may or may not put them up for sale later. Ebay is probably your best/only option.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, you can buy them from the web store on the 12th in a pre-sale and then pick them up at the convention using the same ID you pre-bought the poster with. They specifically say "don't come by the booth expecting to buy this."

This is legitimately stupid - I live in Southern California but I can't take work off to go to SDCC and pick up a poster at a convention with sold out tickets. There's literally no way for me to get this stupid poster beyond paying $300+ to some scalper on eBay. Absolute garbage, gently caress you Mondo.

Wait, what? That makes no sense... Why even have exclusive con-only sales if you have to buy it online first to begin with?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a kitten posted:

Ahhh, that's better.

a kitten posted:

It really does lose something as just a silhouette doesn't it? Just goes to show that bluray covers are bad all over the world.

Nope, it rules. Let's look at the rest in the series:

Clean, simple, elegant. And it looks great in a set:
[/url]

Too bad they're so expensive because :japan:. Let's see what their US counterparts look like!

vs

:smith:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Kind of interesting how minimalism is appreciated when it's a Japanese anime. Would people prefer this?

I appreciate them for the aesthetic, it being anime has nothing to do with it. The fact that they maintain a consistent theme is probably why it works so well.

Is the Fight Club cover even real? Because all I see is artifact city.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nah, whipped it up super quick to compare.

So basically you were asking me if I preferred bluray covers produced by the studio that made Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies to something you whipped up in a minute without much thought to composition, while also adding a little dig against anime?

Minimalism isn't a dirty word you know. It's a fad right now, sure, but I've seen plenty examples of it (in this very thread) where it's been used well.

Edit: Now, if you'd like to see some bad minimalism, I present to you this hot off the presses Mondo poster:

Clearly apeing the Saul Bass classic, which makes the entire exercise of creating this new one totally pointless.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 12, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tliil posted:

Studio Ghibli makes great movies but those covers are pure poo poo unless you're an "enthusiast" for the films. Which is fine because they're clearly designed to sell to circlejerking fanboys, but defending them as good design is just silly.

What makes a good DVD cover? Something that interests people that have never seen the movie as well as providing pride of ownership feelings for people who have seen the movie. This Fight Club packaging is a great example:

If you don't know what Fight Club is about, you're still intrigued by the packaging. If you do know what Fight Club is about, you get the "hidden meaning" and you can still appreciate the aesthetic appeal.

Then here's some bullshit.

Since when does potential sales figures have anything to do with what makes a good design? Why does everything have to cater to someone unfamiliar with the media? I'm sure these releases sell well in the Japanese market anyway, which is what they are made for, since there's probably not many people there unfamiliar with the works of Studio Ghibli. And since the designs are consist and colors are vibrant, I've got them displayed prominently with my other great looking pieces of physical media, so they sure as hell give me pride of ownership. But hey I guess I found the type of person that likes the covers for the US releases. They're ugly but at least it's easy to find which movie stars Amy Poehler!

Veib posted:

(These are in chronological order by the way.)

These are really nice. I wish the US releases just didn't have so much crap on them: Disney logos, (English) voice acting credits, huge banners reminding you is a bluray. I consisted buying them and printing my own covers or something but have just ended up buying the Japanese releases instead. They come out months/years before the US anyway.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 13, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tliil posted:

Since I don't fetishize my movie boxes like you, I don't care what my covers look like. I appreciate good design but I don't display product packaging in my house.

Having some bluray cases on a shelf under my TV is me 'fetishizing' them? :confused:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of, Reboot is being remade.

Had to look this up to confirm, seems you are right! I also learned that it's the 20th anniversary of the original show. :gonk: Holy poo poo, I'm old.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ariza posted:

A bunch more of the Mondo Disney posters have been released. A small sample:

I'm hoping (but not expecting in anyway) that these go on sale at some point so I can get the Winnie the Pooh one for my daughter. It makes me unreasonably happy.

Most of these just went up for sale, if anyone wanted one.

Edit: Welp nevermind, they're now all sold out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

These fake movie posters that roll before the credits in 22 Jump Street are better than some of the official ones I've seen in this thread.

The full set is here, haven't found anything in better quality yet:

http://imgur.com/a/lXZGM

Bros before Hose :haw:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I googled Tyler Stout and you were right, that is the only style he knows how to do.

And none of them look good! Why doesn't he try something different?

I feel like the guy is being directed by Mondo or the trademark holders on how to design these things because honestly he does do good work. I have this print on my wall right now and I absolutely adore it:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mark Hamill in the credits but not on the poster?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

morestuff posted:

Movie posters

Setting themselves up for failure with a tagline like that. If I watch that I sure as hell will be expecting some tap-dancing zombies inside a radiator.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

oldpainless posted:

The only good seagal movie is Under Siege and that's mostly cuz of the stripper and tommy lee jones

But mostly the stripper

Funny way of spelling Executive Decision.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Allen Wren posted:

Side question - if this isn't a reasonable place to ask, I'll bail, but I know people in here will know - I've got a few posters I want to frame, but paying Michael's or whatever to do it will cost an ungodly amount of money. What does it actually take to frame something so it can go up on the wall and stop sitting on top of my bookshelf?

Basically, it appears to me I just get the frames (all three posters are 18"x24", so that shouldn't be an issue) line up the mat and the poster, tape it in place or put glue-on corners on the mat, put it into the frame, secure the backing so it's flat behind the glass/plastic, hang it. Am I missing anything important?

After a bad experience at a framers (don't let anyone ever tell you drymounting is ok, kids) I decided to start doing my own DIY conservation framing. It's really easy and you'll save yourself a bunch of money over a 'professional', plus I find it to be a really rewarding hobby.

If you want to use a mat:

The most basic method is going to be to use mounting strips (I would recommend these, they are conservation quality: http://smile.amazon.com/Lineco-Through-Archival-Mounting-Strips/dp/B000KNNIQU/). Don't use tape or anything else that you can't reverse. Depending on how much of the poster/print that you want to cover up with the mat, you can attach the mounting strips directly to your backing board of choice (I generally just buy 1/8" acid free foam). If your mat is right to the edge of the poster you flip your mat and print over and attach the mounting strips to the backside of the mat instead, so that you won't see the edges of the strips in your finished piece.

If you don't want to use a mat:

You don't ever want to have your artwork directly touching your glazing, over time it will stick and you'll ruin it. You can get a frame that is the exact same size as the print (plus 1/8" for expansion), and use a spacer to hold everything in place securely without meeting a mat. Check out these different kind of spacers: http://www.artright.com/our-online-shop/art-picture-framing-supplies-hardware-bulk/art-framing-picture-frame-spacers-archival.html I like the FrameSpace the most, you can buy it in clear and then paint or use a colored mat on the inside of the spacer to give it a really nice accent. You can also get them in varying depths depending on the look you want. You just need to cut them to size, attach to the mounting board, and then slide it into the frame.

For frames and other materials, I use American Frame (http://www.americanframe.com/) pretty frequently. You can buy acrylic glazing from them too if you want, or I would recommend Hobby Lobby for glass. If you have a big budget, TruVue Museum Glass is the absolute best you can get. It will filter 99% of UV rays, and has a non-glare coating that is so good, most of the time you won't be able to tell there is any glass in front of your art. Its expensive though, probably 3x as much as the next level down, TruVue Conservation Clear. This will block 99% UV, but will have more glare (see manufacturer's example here, this is an accurate representation in my experience). Depending on your lighting situation, it could be fine, but I've had to swap out the glass on a piece before to put in Museum Glass instead. If you go to Hobby Lobby you can use their weekly 40% off coupon on the glazing, which is the best pricing I've ever found on it. I would not recommend Michael's for any framing services or products.

Once you've got your frame assembled, use a point gun (for wood frames) or springs (for metal frames) to hold it all in place. You can then use some doubled sided tape and attached craft paper to seal it all up from dust. Add your bumpers and frame wire and you are good to go.

Happy to answer any other questions about framing if you have any.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 15, 2016

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Doctor Teeth posted:

I work for a site that auctions movie posters/lobby cards/stills/etc. It's fun reading this thread and seeing which posters are going to be consigned to us in ~5 months time.

If anyone is considering buying a poster and not sure of its authenticity you can post it here/message me and I can take a look at it. A good portion of what I do is checking for reproductions, re-releases, etc.. The higher the resolution you can get the better.

drat, wish you had posted this a couple months ago. I've wanted to get my hands on a specific Zardoz poster for a while, but almost everything that comes up on Ebay is way out of my price range or previously folded. Then maybe a month ago I was seeing listings for a "studio authorized" reprint of the same image and snatched it up. Bunch of different legit poster sites had it and based on the images in the listings it looked great. Once I actually got it and unrolled it I could see it was just someone who was printing copies of one of the previously folded originals, the crease lines are clearly visible in the repro. It only cost me ~$19 but I'm still kinda pissed off about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Doctor Teeth posted:

I'm curious, did they show the original (and try to hide the fact that it was folded) and mail a repro or did they show the repro and claim it was an authorized reprint? Studio restrikes are sometimes a thing (The Shining has one from the mid-80s I believe that is sometimes sold an original), but they are usually made using the same designs/equipment as the original.

Printed fold lines are a dead giveaway of a reproduction. Sometimes the people making the repro will try to cover them up buy folding the poster along the printed fold lines, but they rarely get it right and even if they do, folded originals were machine folded. The folds just won't be as "crisp" as a machine folded poster.

Here's the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zardoz-Movi...p0AAOSwpDdVN4GH and here is what the original looks when folded:

I didn't realize it before buying but you can see in the image of the reproduction evidence of some fold lines, especially on the left side of the face of the stone head. Just about any site that sells movie posters seems to have this specific one for sale so maybe it is truly a studio authorized reproduction. That or whoever is bootlegging it has some serious volume.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm probably in the minority for thinking the Blade Runner poster is cool as heck, to the point that I almost bought one when it came out. They're screen prints on foil paper. This came from a private group commission, which seems to be A Thing now in the poster community, the gold is an edition of 50 I think. The artist is Krzysztof Domaradzki.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is the grease paint/tattoo on his cheek supposed to distract me from the fact they couldn't bother to take a photo of both sides of his head?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I get the annoyance at the amount of photoshoppery that gets used instead of just taking photos for movie posters, but this seems like a pretty legitimate instance to use a mirrored image.

Normally I would agree, I generally don't care or notice it. Maybe it's the composition of this poster that causes it to stand out for me? I feel like it's just so lazy, but really can't quantify why. :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GonSmithe posted:

Mondo is dropping a lovely Tyler Stout Civil War poster tomorrow so if you want to try to get a poster you can sell for 10x more than you buy it, the 10 seconds it's up before it's sold out is your chance.

Sold out instantly, lol. Someone on twitter responded to them with this: https://supercopbot.com/mondo-tees-bot/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is decoupage a thing teenagers actually do these days?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, I think it's less braving the cold of the room temperature public pool and more having to stay afloat for like 7 hours, but I'm still not impressed.

But one end of the pool is only 3.5ft deep.

Standing up for 7 hours, terrifying. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Getting it made is one thing, the question is more why it was put into wide release instead of targeting smaller art house crowds who would be more likely to "get it".

Mother! really isn't a subtle movie at all, I think most viewers with half a lobe are going to "get it" and walk away pretty clear on the themes and allusions Aronofsky shoves down your throat, especially in the last 30min of the film. I think the harder question to answer is why did they try to market it as a horror film?