Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dudes a legend. That video has been around a while though, so probably a repost.

Yeah Ikioi does amazing enka. The most classically trained out of all of them for sure. Harumafuji is/was also pretty talented, and Kakuryu surprised everyone with a very nice bass voice in the Hakkiyoi video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Baruto has a giggly teddy bear personality so holy poo poo is that a perfect casting. That rocks.

Didn't recognize him at all until you said to take the closer look - just about fell out of my chair.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I think it’s most possible it was another rikishi and not just some other huge famous guy. But apparently it was a rikishi famous enough to draw a crowd and have bodyguards. I wish I was there to see who it was but I actually missed it by minutes. I was on my way home from work, got a haircut at that station, got a message from my wife saying she was there and I thought “Meh, we’ll just meet at home later.” and went home. If I had met her, I would have seen whoever it was. I didn’t know Kise wasn’t married before I looked, it’s pretty standard for them to be married by his age. Come to think of it, I wonder how many Yokozuna in modern history have not been married when they made the rank

Harumafuji maybe, if he's still slumming around in Japan? He's got 2 kids though.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

She says she knows Kisenosato’s face and swears it was him. I dunno, maybe he was with other family? This was in Chiba, not far from his native Ibaraki. We’ll never know and it bugs me

I was gonna say - did she know it was his wife, or did she assume when it could have been a sister and a niece/nephew?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

It's my thread and I'll play if I drat well want.

Y/O: Takayasu / Goeido / Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi/ Ichinojo/ Tochinoshin
M1-5: Takakeisho / Tamawashi / Shodai
M6-10: Hokutofuji/ Okinoumi / Yoshikaze
M11+: Ikioi / Aoiyama / Tochiozan

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

Sumo is not, and will not be an olympic sport in 2020.

What he means is that he wants to take part in the opening ceremony. It was going to be a problem if there was a popular japanese yokozuna while Hakuho was hypothetically on an obvious physical decline, but with Kisenosato's career dying, that has changed, and Hakuho probably just need to keep on trucking for 2 more years. Japan has made it clear that they want to showcase sumo, not as a potential olympic sport, but just to raise its profile in general as a Japanese cultural sport heritage thing, so obviously whoever is the man at the yokozuna rank is going to be highlighted.

Yup - opening ceremony, torch-bearing, general media kind of stuff. Although that would be hilarious to see him represent Mongolia in the Tokyo Olympics and make quick work of the gold medal.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Holy cow! I was expecting to find out he was still in a coma or dead, but this is crazy. How the hell can you still be thinking about wrestling when you barely survived heart failure?

If you weren't aware of this story, Akebono was put into a medical coma when he had these issues shortly after a pro wrestling match. This was back in April of 2017, and there had been ZERO updates since then that most of us were aware of.

Kintamayama posted:

Ex Yokozuna Akebono, the first foreign Yokozuna, is undergoing rehabilitation in a hospital. He has been hospitalized since April and at some point his life was in danger and could not get out of bed. Rehabilitation started in October and he now can move his wheelchair on his own for ten meters (it takes him thirty seconds), but still has a long way to go on the road to full recovery. What's driving him is his desire to enter the ring again. Surrounded by two physiotherapists, his wife and his two boys (14 and 17), he made his way to the hospital recreation room for an interview. "I can't enter the ring and that doesn't let me sleep at night..I've got to get back to work, to Pro-wrestling!" he said. No talk of retiring. His speech is not as smooth as in the past, but he spoke slowly and clearly. On April 12th after a wrestling match he was hospitalized after feeling bad for a few days. He suffered from acute heart failure and also caught another infection and his situation was grave, losing consciousness at some point. The situation was so severe that the family was ready for the worst, but he somehow got over it. He now weighs 150 kilos, down from around 210.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Also it sounds crazy to us, but training and performing, whether it’s in the sumo or pro wrestling ring has been the only life he’s known for the past 30 years. Lots of people when they go through something like that will want to beat whatever it is they have and go back to their normal life. It’s just that his idea of a normal life was pretty crazy to begin with.

Basically the plot of The Wrestler. :v:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I will never stop marveling at Tochinoshin's lower body build. Takarafuji is as lean and buff as a sumo wrestler comes, and Tochinoshin's lower half absolutely dwarfs Takarafuji's.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Sumo just needs to be 15 daily matches between Ichinojo and Tochinoshin. :black101:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Very pleased with Kakuryu so far. Meanwhile, the Ozeki really aren't making the most of the weakened top order

To be fair, the Ozeki schedule typically starts out with S/K and M1. The middle 8-10 days or so are the ones where they should go on a tear if they're going to be taken seriously.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

hot date tonight! posted:

Sure there's a little variation in his kimarite, but it was all standard stuff, kimarite you see 100 times a basho. Just push outs and slap downs. I can appreciate that win against Chiyotairyu, his sumo just didn't feel above and beyond the crowd to me.

Endo didn't look outwardly impressive, but for those who have watched a lot of sumo he very much deserved the award. He played some excellent defensive sumo against some ferocious attacks and won multiple bouts that I was sure he was going to lose. It's hard to appreciate performances like Endo's and Kakuryu's without having observed enough sumo to see the tactical games that go on in the middle of the flurry of palms. I've been watching almost 9 years and I'm just now getting to where I can identify the kimarite (before it's displayed on the screen) at even a 50% rate.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Yeah but who won??

We all win because the world got incrementally better by the existence of that video.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

He’s only 25!?

To be honest I thought he was even younger. I'm not sure he ever lost his baby fat at any age in his life.

And to put it in perspective, Hakuho was 22 when he became Yokozuna, as was Asashoryu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I’m not sure what it is that I was expecting but the sumo museum in Tokyo was probably the most disappointing thing on this whole trip. One room with some photos and old banzuke. The end.

I don’t know if there’s anything else I’m going to try to find that is sumo related. I could try to hit up one of the public practices at one of the Chūō stables I guess.

I believe Sadogatake is one of the easier ones to get into for watching practice. That's where all the Koto- rikishi are from, which includes Kotooshu and Kotoshogiku.

Also go eat at a chanko-nabe restaurant and bring home the souvenir of extra weight. And don't be afraid of the junior rikishi, who probably are barely recognized in their own hometowns. You ain't poo poo til you're in the paid ranks.