Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

I think Image might be my favorite current publisher going, and I think they have some fantastic books currently going or recently collected. King City, Godland, Orc Stain, Fatale and Prophet are all very cool, but my favorite comic is...

Title: Bulletproof Coffin
Publisher: Image
Brief Description: A man hired to rummage through the homes of the recently deceased comes across artifacts from some of his favorite comics and a David Lynch superhero/EC comic series ensues.
Why I Like It: Shaky Kane has been a revelation to me because of this series. I was unaware of who he was prior to, but his artwork in this series seems a bit like Mike Allred's work set to a grindstone, rougher and harsher than Allred's ever looked even in the darker, more violent issues of X-Statix. The colors are sort of perfect, offsetting the dark subject matter with a weird neon palette that makes everything look somewhat sickly and is creepy in ways that very few horror comics achieve, or at least none that I've read.

David Hine also does a fantastic job with the script, giving some worn-out meta-textual tricks new life via a pretty great sense of humor. He also manages to capture the trashy, goofy narration of old-school horror comics pretty well, filling the comics with classy gems like, "the stench of decay rises through the aura of her perfume, like a fart in a bubble bath," and still somehow manages to play it pretty straight. The series packs in some really strange fake advertisements similar to the period ads that show up in Moore's League of Gents, and they function to enhance the mood in sort of the same way as in those books.

The Creators plan to do a bunch more with this little horror/superhero comic setting they've created, and the original series is being followed by the current six issue miniseries entitled Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: Buy the Bulletproof Coffin TPB because it is VERY GOOD, or just start from Disinterred at issue one if you are cheap, as the current story doesn't continue the events of the first, it simply shares characters/setting.

This sounds incredible, and I never would have heard of it otherwise. All you had to do was mention Lynch (one of my favorite filmmakers) and Allred (probably my favorite comic artist), and I'll give it a chance as soon as possible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

How is Grendel? I've never read it.

I'm a huge fan, especially of the Hunter Rose material (which started with the Grendel: Devil By the Deed storyline in the early '80s). He's a cultured, urbane, witty thief, assassin, and crimelord with a code of honor and one of the best costumes ever. Think of Hunter Rose as what Bruce Wayne might have become if he turned to crime because he was bored and privileged and instantly mastered everything else he attempted. (There is actually a Batman/Grendel crossover that points out the parallels between them.)

Anyway, Hunter Rose's arch-enemy is Argent, a horrifyingly ugly and violent wolf-man who works with the police to help take down Grendel, which creates an interesting dichotomy between the disgusting, scary "good guy" and the almost aspirational, seductive nature of the "bad guy" (the true protagonist).

But Matt Wagner (the creator of Grendel) created a much broader mythology than just one mortal man. The Grendel mantle comes to represent the spirit of aggression, and it is passed onto a woman named Christine Spar, then her younger lover Brian Li-Sung, and a few other people. Then Wagner flashes forward thousands of years into a darker, post-apocalyptic future where the Catholic Church and corporations have taken over what was once America (this is better than it sounds, I swear!), and Grendel rises again.

The longest-lasting character from these future stories is the cyborg paladin Grendel-Prime, and his best story is Grendel: War Child, one of the best pure action/sci-fi comics I've ever read. He eventually travels back in time to Gotham City to cause all kinds of tsuris for Batman in the second Batman/Grendel crossover, which feels like a homage to the first Terminator movie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 31, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Protocol 5 posted:

It kinda makes me want to see someone try to adapt James Ellroy.

James Robinson's Vigilante: City Lights, Prairie Justice miniseries from the late '90s (while he was writing Starman) is the most Ellroy-esque comic I've ever read, full of Hollywood glamour, glitz, gangsters, and sordid sleaze. The art sucks, but the TPB might be worth a read if you're as big an Ellroy fan as I am.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Got a copy in very good condition of Madman Gargantua (which isn't available on eBay and is going for a preposterous price on Amazon...I got it for just under 100.00)...just reminds me of how much I like Madman and how great Allred is.

Good for you! I own all the Madman TPBs (except for the elusive Madman Atomic Comics Vol. 2), since I prefer them to oversized hardcovers for reading, but the Gargantua is a really nice collection. I enjoy the "aw shucks" retro quirkiness of Allred's writing, but he has been my favorite artist in comics since the mid-'90s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, there's a certain innocent quality to the dialogue, and yet I never feel like I'm being pandered to. And I think he proved with how wild X-Statix was that he has more than one gear.

Still need to read Red Rocket 7, though.

You need 'em? I have an extra set -- the seven single issues, each as large as a record album.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The movie is based directly on the Diggle and Jock Losers, even copying some of the scenes almost exactly. But from what I remember the book was tense and exciting where the movie was just kind of generic. Aisha (the character Zoe Saldana played) in particular is much more interesting.

I enjoyed The Losers movie more than most (especially the spot-on casting), but that's because I was a huge fan of the comic. It's reprinted in two thick TPBs, or an older print run of five shorter volumes, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It really feels like an incredibly paced action-adventure movie in comic book form, with well-placed comic relief to break the tension.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

I hesitated for a while to make this post, but I received the fourth issue of a great little comic in the mail recently and I think it deserves a little wider recognition, if a short post on a forum is capable of such. I'd like to talk about something awesome. I'd like to talk about COPRA.

http://michelfiffe.com

I was loving around, checking the Internet a while back, when I really should have been working, and came across a sweet little article describing an obscure indie superhero comic. http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/13/michel-fiffe-copra-review/ The book styled itself as an homage to John Ostrander era Sucide Squad comics, a comparison that made little impression on me considering that I have thus far unfortunately been able to read any of them. (DC trade paperback program is balls.) I'd always liked that idea's core concept, however, a group of disposable villains/guns for hire/anti-heroes/whatever, engaging in some superhero action with actual, genuine consequences. Actual peril for a group of characters' existence can do wonders for a story's tension level. So, I decided to try this on a whim. It is fantastic.

The art is wonderful, first of all, with each one of the superheroes featuring an incredibly unique color palette all their own. Their costumes/outfits never feel uninspired, as if the creator said, "gently caress it, let's give 'em tights/ a leotard," and even those outfits that come close to that generic style feature some cool flourish of a kind. Each issue is guaranteed at least one tremendously inspired moment of brilliance in terms of panel layout, or composition, or pacing, whether it's one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a comic in years in issue #1, a brilliantly depicted psychic tracking sequence in issue #2, or a dude in a big robot suit beating the poo poo out of some extra-dimensional thing in issue #3. The coloring is really engaging in a way I can only really describe as looking similar to incredibly well-done colored pencils one would use on a high-school project. It looks like nothing else on the comics stands.

The writing is solid; with such a giant cast, each character is given a small amount of screen time but one still manages to understand the gist of each character's basic personality. Quite a lot happens in each issue as well, with at least one fantastic fight sequence in each issue so far.

I highly recommend it, if you're looking for an indie superhero comic to read.

Wow, this looks like a blast. Suicide Squad is one of my favorite DC books of all time, and this looks like a more loving and well-crafted homage than anything DC has published since (including Secret Six).

It also reminds me of the work of David Yurkovich, a great Canadian cartoonist who came out with some quirky, off-kilter, food-related superhero comics: Death By Chocolate, Less Than Heroes, The Broccoli Agenda, Super Heroes of Philadelphia, and more. Top Shelf published a few small TPBs with his Death By Chocolate and Less Than Heroes material, which you can probably pick up cheap. There is more information about Yurkovich's work here, at Sleeping Giant Creations: http://www.sleepinggiantcreations.com/sgc-comics2.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You have intrigued me. I love Art Deco and Art Nouveau, and I've always admired Ghost's costume and design, especially in some Adam Hughes pin-ups I've seen. She's obviously meant to be sexy, but the retro look is just so classy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone read Michel Fiffe's Copra series? He's a Suicide Squad fanboy, and Copra is his homage to John Ostrander's classic late '80s run -- very familiar characters but changed just enough to not infringe on DC's intellectual properties. Is it any good, though? A TPB with the first three ultra-rare issues just became available.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I recently read the first two Manhattan Projects TPBs (thank you, public library!), and while some of Hickman's alternate history ideas are interesting, I find the book kind of distasteful and mean-spirited. It reminds me of some of Warren Ellis' more self-indulgent and forgettable works where everyone is a mad genius but also a horrible deviant and bastard. (See also: Garth Ennis.)

I guess I'm just not a fan of famous scientist fanfic, which is essentially what it is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What do people generally think of Dynamite's pulp hero comics? I just finished Masks (thank you, public library!), and while it was a relatively simple, almost generic story with mediocre artwork, I still enjoyed seeing the Shadow, the Green Hornet and Kato, the Spider, and Zorro team up. It was more fun than DC's deplorable First Wave, which teamed up Batman, the Spirit, and Doc Savage and somehow managed to be as boring as the infamous L.A.W.: Living Assault Weapons miniseries.

I'm just a sucker for "mystery man" sorts of heroes with suits and trench coats and fedoras, ideally in retro settings. Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of my all-time favorite series for capturing that retro-pulp aesthetic but with actual good, modern writing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone read The Illegitimates, by Saturday Night Live actor Taran Killam? He's a cool and funny dude, so I was just wondering if it was any good.

This is him, for anyone who doesn't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8i1OhOimc

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Five Fists of Science worth picking up for $10? I like most of what I've read by Matt Fraction (Hawkguy, Immortal Iron Fist, Iron Man, and FF), and the concept reminds me a bit of Tales from the Bully Pulpit, which I loved. But I think I'm the one guy who doesn't enjoy Manhattan Projects, so I'm not sure if it's anything like that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thank you all for the warning. It definitely sounds like something I can wait on.

I asked because I have quite a bit of store credit at a local used bookstore that has a decent graphic novel selection. They list almost all their stock online, so I was able to browse titles and prices before going there, and they had Five Fists listed for $10.

I didn't actually see it at the store today, but you guys talked me out of buying it anyway. However, I did walk away with Action Heroes Archives Vol. 2 (the hardcover collection of Ditko's Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, and Question stories for Charlton Comics; $75 marked down to $25) and the complete Deadenders TPB by Ed Brubaker ($30 marked down to $15), all for free, and I still have over $20 in credit remaining.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been excited about trying Copra, as I was a huge Suicide Squad fan, and I've been reading praise for it all year. But I can't help but wonder if a full 12-issue collected edition has yet to be announced, so I've held off on picking up the three Compendium editions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Awesome, Supreme is probably my favourite comic book story that does the whole metafictional narrative stuff and maybe now Supreme can have a decent ending that isn't a cliffhanger/Erik Larson crap that STILL had a cliffhanger.

I'd assume Blue Rose or whoever that girl on the front cover is, is Supreme's daughter- at least judging by her white hair and the fact that Larson's run ended with Diana being pregnant.

Erik Larsen worked on Supreme after Alan Moore? I have the two Checker TPBs of Alan Moore's brilliant, beautiful Supreme run (his best work of the '90s and 2000s, and I include his America's Best Comics stuff), but I didn't know anyone else picked it up where he left off.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anybody read Ed Piskor's Hip-Hop Family Tree? I'm absolutely loving the Free Comic Book Day issue, and I have the illustrated history of The Beats that he did with Harvey Pekar. I'm also a sucker for musical history.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Michel Fiffe has finally announced a TPB with the first SIX issues of Copra, available for preorder this summer and due out in September. You can also read Copra #1 for free on his site, which I highly recommend:

http://michelfiffe.com/

I've heard fantastic hype and praise for Copra for over a year now, so it will be nice to finally own these as collected editions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been following the Copra hype for over a year, as a huge fan of John Ostrander's Suicide Squad, but I don't buy singles and I decided to skip the earlier compendiums because I figured a larger collected edition was inevitable. I still check Fiffe's website weekly for when they put the TPB with #1-6 on sale, and I'll buy it the minute it comes up for preorder.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did anyone read Supreme: Blue Rose yet? I'm intrigued because I loved Alan Moore's Supreme run, I usually enjoy Warren Ellis (and he tends to work with great artists), and the title makes it sound influenced by David Lynch (and possibly even Twin Peaks) in some way. But all of the reviews I've read are pretty vague about how it actually was. Unfortunately, I'm a trade-waiter anyway, but is this worth the wait?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

A lot of Ellis' minor work is interesting for being his experiments in different formats: OGNs, "graphic novellas", BD imitations, 2 or 3-part miniseries, webcomics. You can point at them any time someone starts crying about decompressed storytelling - sure Ellis did that, and his Ultimate FF was a prime offender and it was mediocre-to-awful, he also did a million other things, including a whole lot of series famous for their strict done-in-one structure. I think Red and Crecy are wonderful little comics and Ministry of Space has amazing Chris Weston art.

It is a pity that Ignition City was mostly ignored and did not get a sequel - with a good artist it could've been a perfect Planetary outtake.

I don't have the problem with smug cynical bastards in Ellis' comics as I do with Brian K. Vaughan and Joss Whedon - maybe the context, ideas and action help to skip around the edges.

If not for the art, I would have loved Ignition City. It was like Deadwood, but with retro sci-fi elements mixed with the Western setting. But the art just ruined it for me, with big, ugly reptilian "cattle" taking disgusting shits everywhere. It wasn't funny -- it was just gross.

But Ellis does "done-in-one" stories better than almost anyone else in the business: Planetary, Global Frequency, Fell, and Secret Avengers were all good to excellent, and I can't wait to read his Moon Knight.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Unmature posted:

Finally reading American Flagg for the first time. These panel layouts, you guys. These laaaaayooooooouts.

Are you reading it in singles, the old oversized First Comics TPBs, or the more recent reprinted hardcover? I read that the reproductions of the original art in the hardcover lost a lot of detail.

I used to have the three First Comics TPBs (reprinting #1-3, 4-6, and 7-9), and that was some of the most gorgeous art I've ever seen, especially those layouts. Chaykin might not be setting the art world on fire today, but anyone who complains about what Bendis and Fraction see in him has never read American Flagg. I'd argue he was the best artist in the '80s, above Byrne, Perez, McFarlane, and any other superstars of that era.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

This is a really good purchase, guys. People have been waiting forever for the earlier issues to come back in print and there's no beating it for that price and number of issues collected.

The first six issues has this really exhilarating, breakneck pace that ramps up the stakes from the word go, the artwork is like the legacy of Ditko and Kirby fulfilled, and the premise and cast, while rooted in the traditions of DC and Marvel, tells a much more engaging story than you'd commonly find in corporate comics. There's so many great things going for Copra and I can recommend it with absolutely no reservations.

This is great. Thanks to dik-dik and moot for posting. I've been reading fantastic reviews of Copra for the last year and checking Fiffe's blog weekly for updates as to when this book goes on sale. I skipped the three-issue compendium editions, hoping a 6- or 12-issue TPB would finally get released, so now I've ordered it.

I'm also a huge fan of Fiffe's biggest influence, John Ostrander's Suicide Squad (rekindled in part by watching them be awesome on Arrow last season). I am currently hunting down a complete run of Suicide Squad and all its tie-in issues to get bound into three hardcovers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sweet -- I got my copy as well. Absolutely love the cardstock covers!

I'm going to put off reading it for a while longer because I'm 150 pages into James Ellroy's new novel Perfidia, and I want to get it back to the library ASAP, but I'm thrilled to finally have Copra after over a year of hype and positive reviews.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished binge-reading Locke and Key over the last few weeks, thanks to the public library having all six volumes. I read through the first three pages of the Horror Comics thread, where nobody mentioned it, so it's quite possible I missed or just skipped over any discussion in this thread.

What did people think of it, generally? It had such a "YA lit" feel to it, but every so often, it would go for some real shock value, almost like Stephen King trying to come up with his own YA franchise (and yes, I'm aware that Joe Hill is King's son). Hill went for some pretty familiar King plot elements (flashbacks to a diverse group of teenage friends, kid with a mental disability who has magical powers), but I was most surprised by a lot of the unseemly sexual violence toward the mother and some of the other female characters. I know it was marketed as a horror book, but so much of it also felt like teen-friendly YA fantasy / wish-fulfillment at the same time, so it didn't all seem to gel.

Also, what happened with the pilot that wasn't picked up? Was anyone ever able to see it, and was it any good? And did the Calvin and Hobbes homage issue win any awards? That one had some pretty clever storytelling, thanks in large part to the artist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Please don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it, but I can't say I LOVED it, and reading it so long after all the no-doubt interesting discussion, I was just wondering what other people thought.

One thing that tore me up was when Dodge's shadow demons forced all that wine down the mother's throat, after she had been successfully sober for as long as she had been. Sobriety and recovery are very close to my heart due to loved ones' struggles, and it always hits me hard in any fiction when a character relapses after doing a good job staying stay clean and sober. That incident felt almost like another rape, since it was literally forced upon her against her will.

One thing I liked was the diversity of the keys themselves, and their striking designs. It astounds me that some company hasn't made their own high-end collectible Locke and Key keys... or have they?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Something like these? They've got a bunch of stuff in their shop.

Ah, of course they do. Thank you very much!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pugnax posted:

I'd also add the whole Brubaker/Phillips canon to any reading list.

Sleeper, Criminal, Incognito, and Fatale, he means, which are all excellent. Sleeper is still my far-and-away favorite, though (and you would also have to read the prequel, Point Blank, which was not drawn by Phillips).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone else read Chew? Because I'm binge-reading it thanks to my public library, and it is awesome. For what is primarily a comedy book, it's super-creative, with really deep, involved continuity, character development, and high stakes as well as great gags. It reminds me of The Venture Bros. that way.

My library had battered, tattered copies of the first two TPBs, which I read about a month back and really enjoyed, so I asked them to order the second, third, and fourth "Omnivore Editions," which reprint TPB volumes 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, respectively. They finally got processed and added to the permanent collection, and I was first in line. Absolutely loving it. If anyone likes police procedurals, gory horror, or silly comedy, you should really give it a chance. Rob Guillory's art is full of neat little background details and funny Easter eggs as well (no pun intended, given some of the subject matter).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Copra Round Two out yet? How is it? I enjoyed Round One and want to support Fiffe, but as a huge Suicide Squad fanboy, I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Does that make sense?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So how did Supreme: Blue Rose turn out to be? I loved Alan Moore's Supreme run, I usually like Warren Ellis, and the art looked beautiful, but I heard it was very weird and didn't make much sense. Did it all pay off in the end?

Also, did Copra Round Two improve on Round One, and how have the latest issues been? I bought Round One and liked it, but wanted to love it, and then Round Two sold out before I could get one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For those of you who missed out on one or both of them, Michel Fiffe's Copra Round One and Round Two TPBs are finally back in stock at Bergen Street Press:

http://bergenstreetcomicspress.bigcartel.com/products

I just ordered Round Two, after searching fruitlessly online for months. Round One was really solid, especially if you're an old-school Suicide Squad fan, or you like classic Kirby and Ditko comics but wish they were a lot more violent.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally started to read Sex Criminals, and it is so much better than I ever would have guessed, especially given the title and concept. It's hilariously funny, but so warm and heartfelt and honest about sexuality and relationships. And I love how well Zdarsky's art works with the dual narrators, and all the little gags and details he puts into everything. It's such a creative and clever series, and now I'll definitely have to pick up the second TPB.

Is it continuing after these two existing TPBs? I certainly hope it does, assuming it stays this good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone read Mind MGMT? I just got the first hardcover from the library, and while I didn't expect to like it in the beginning due to the "crudeness" of Matt Kindt's art, I really like it, about five issues in. It has a nice slow burn mystery with sci-fi stuff going on in the background.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Not seeing the love for Sleeper here, which had the additional difficulty of being set in the Wildstorm universe

Sleeper is my favorite Brubaker/Phillips collaboration. It's supervillain-noir-espionage, and it's soul-crushing and awesome. If you try it, make sure you read the prequel, Point Blank, although it's by a different artist who isn't as good as Sean Phillips (Colin Wilson).

The Wildstorm Universe used to be a separate continuity that included the character from Wildcats, Gen13, Stormwatch (which became the Authority), and Planetary. When Jim Lee sold Wildstorm Comics (his imprint within Image Comics) to DC, they maintained their own universe, but were eventually, quietly folded into the DCU.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hated the end of Ex Machina too, to the point where I sold my TPBs afterwards.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Chew. It would have been a difficult read with a more realistic (DC/Marvel house style) artist, but Guillory's energetic, cartoony style keeps the book feeling light and comedic, even when they pile on the violence and gore and disgusting stuff. I find the whole thing very cleverly written, often veering into silly territory, but anchored by some real heart and surprisingly heavy emotional stakes. The whole thing feels like it could take place in a shared universe with Madman, The Tick, and The Venture Bros., but never loses its way into Adult Swim-style "wacky random" absurdity.

Discovering and binge-reading Chew and Savage Dragon have probably been my most enjoyable comic-reading experiences of the last year and a half or so.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man, the more the taste lingers the more I wish Brubaker and Phillips would do more period pieces like The Fade Out. Not that I was left unsatisfied by it, I just really want more, it gripped me in a way their other contemporary setting series haven't really. I love James Ellroy and they managed to explore that setting without making it too derivative considering how much fiction you have set in 1940s-1950s LA.
I guess they're just doing Kill or Be Killed now, which seemed ehhh, okay. For some reason for me it kind of felt (well judging just off of one issue) like Wanted but without all the Mark Millar lameness.

I have the third Fade Out volume, but I'm saving it so I can reread the entire series at once, when I have some free time to relax.

I'm also a huge James Ellroy fan. Did you know there's a graphic novel version of The Black Dahlia, that David Fincher worked on? I haven't read it yet, but how great does that sound?

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Dahlia...cher#nav-subnav

Other Ellroy-esque comics I've read include Howard Chaykin and David Tischmann's American Century #5-8 (collected in the American Century: Hollywood Babylon TPB, which is super-cheap on Amazon) and James Robinson's Vigilante: Prairie Lights, City Justice miniseries from the mid-'90s (which features some pretty poor art, unfortunately).

Roth posted:

I've started checking out non-mainstream superhero comics more and more lately, and it's been a breath of fresh air even though I still like to read superhero comics.

I read through We Stand on Guard which I thought was incredibly lame, and then I read Chrononauts which I thought was a bunch of silly fun.

Now I've got a bunch of stuff lined up to read: Black Magick, Lazarus, Outcast, Black Science, Low, Tokyo Ghost, Saga, Chew, Manifest Destiny, Astro City, Deadly Class, The Wicked + The Divine, East of West, Preacher, The Sandman, Global Frequency, Daytripper, Irredeemable, and I Kill Giants. I already caught up on Southern Bastards, Sheriff of Babylon, and The Autmnlands and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Add Sex Criminals and Planetary to that list, and possibly Mind MGMT (although I've only read the first volume, I liked it quite a bit).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Wildstorm had some continuity problems (Authority barely sat in the general world at all) but had some goud stuff in there. The solo Majestic titles were all gold. Sleeper and Planetary need no introduction. Alan Moore's WildCATS run was good, as was WildCATS 3.0 which was a very different take on a superhero team: what challenges would a team trying to use the things they found on their adventures to better society face? How would it affect the powers that be, and what fundamentals of modern life would it change?

Of course then there's a lot of garbage like Millar's Authority run which cannot ne regarded as in continuity.

Editorial deciding to have the superhuman apocalypse actually happen could have spawned cool stuff but for the lovely creative teams.

After enjoying Ellis' Authority, I absolutely hated Millar's run. It was my first exposure to Millar, but his work always has such a mean-spirited streak that I've never enjoyed it.

Except for Superman Adventures. I have no idea how that came about.

But Planetary, Sleeper, and Wildcats series 2/Wildcats 3.0 may all be in my top ten favorite series of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
And on top of all these solid recommendations, I think you'll really enjoy Savage Dragon too. There are seven black and white Archives TPBs so far, reprinting 25 issues in each. That would be the best way to catch up.