Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Did they make any changes to the ML 10 gear? I assume that you still need to do those raids for the top tier gear at this point....I think it might be time to bring my Mini back from the deep... If anyone needs anything on Albion I should be on as Gnusong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

angry muppet posted:

I think ML10 is the only thing you need to farm for gear. The gear stats might have improved at some point, I honestly never used much ML10 stuff. I do know that it's pretty common to template with it though.

I played pretty recently around October is when I stopped, but I get the itch far too often to ignore it. I've got a 50 shade and I believe some casters or a bard on hib but I'm so well setup on alb :ohdear:

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

boho posted:

Thanks for the macro. I'll have to try Animist-ing again.

And thanks for the info on Mentalists. I'm curious enough about a Castershade to level a Nightshade, but "real" casters make the most sense to me.

I could have sworn they've made changes to the distance and damage of the shade DD's but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: if anyone is playing on albion ( not cool kid hib ) I'm on right now and if you need cash/ml's etc i'd be happy to help.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 9, 2012

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

boho posted:

Ugh. The lure of the Cabalist is great.

IIRC there were a ton of complaints about Theurgists back when I last played. Did they ever get nerfed or am I just remembering wrong?

They're still pretty redic, as are cab's.

the pets are great in RVR for interrupts as well as their abilities, chain stunning, rooting etc etc. Also they're great for group encounters as each pet acts as someone hitting the mob which makes epic mobs easier to take down.

I don't know enough about cabs but I'm sure they're still pretty good as well with aoe disease, DOT's etc, great utility.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

There are two cabby specs in my opinion. Matter for PVE and Spirit for RvR.

If you spec high enough into Spirit, you get a body debuff that stacks real nicely with your baseline lifetap. Also, cabby + sorc is one of the best duos in the game.

That body debuff is deadly with sorc life taps. I * think * that also does well with an earth wiz but don't quote me I can't remember, which is pretty bad since I defiantly have a templated earth wiz.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Saveron_01 posted:

Dug this up from an old VNBoard post, I am Elvez (castershade, around RR4 or 5 at the time). That was not a crit, but take note of the side where it shows the resists of the target I was nuking.

http://i.imgur.com/E5WYB.png

That poo poo is just game breaking, I wonder what damage table those DD's are on.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

7k 5k more glass and I'm ML10, the hardest thing so far seems to be getting scales.

Also I need a couple pieces SC'd, the gloves/boots of this. I have the pieces already.

e: and what's the most effective way to use artifacts with /use1 and /use2 in combat? There's gotta be a fast way.

if you inspect the piece it should show two icons for what ever the artifact does, drag those on a quickbar and they should work.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Ok thanks so much easier than what I had planned, thanks!

You can Qbind those as well blah blah you get the idea. I'm suprised you guys play with new models on. I can't stand them I have everything set to old ones, though if you look in the options after you log out you can change them in a granular fashion for each faction or race I think.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

angry muppet posted:

I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm also looking for a high end caster template with +dur. It's for a sorc, but templates from other realms would be helpful too just to give me some ideas on where to get the duration bonus.

I *think* mine is pretty good, though its weapon independent, if you want post those minstrel templates! Thought I know mine is not Min/Max'd to the extreme but I enjoy the toys I have.

Edit:

This is a great sorc template, the only issue is getting the ring which drops of leviathan in albion, but you can take him down with 3 sorc's with ml9 a buff bot and a friar. I have both the bot and the friar if we can round up some sorc's with ML9 we can do it.

Template: http://www.daoctemplates.net/viewTemplate.php?template=3193

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

concerned mom posted:

In a way I kind of came back for the dated and joyless PvE and I don't know why.

PvE is sort of fun in it's own way. It's not as deep as WOW for example but I don't mind it. I've been running around doing all the quests in my journal, if only because it's neat to go back to places I've not been in ages.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You shouldn't get discouraged when it comes to dying in pvp, DAoC's pvp is unlike any mmo I've ever played in the fact that it's extremely fast to die ( as in 3-5 stealthers lining up on you and you go straight back to the bind stone) or any number of ways. Many people have been playing for a number of years and know each character they play and have them down cold. When pvp is impossible just opt out, go do some pve and come back grab some gear or what ever and don't force it. You will die, all the time, in any number of ways but if you force it, you'll just hate it.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Combo posted:

My brother wanted to play a mid duo so we rolled a few characters and I picked up an old skald I had and ran around solo in thid and then the 25-29 bg for a bit last night.

I just don't want to level another hib character and both of mine are templated and ML10/CL10 so I'm just not sure what to do now. The people I like to RvR with other than the guild have told me they mainly run Thursday-Saturday.

Come to the dark side of albion.....

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

n10siv posted:

Anyone playing Alb? Thinking about dusting off my old classic era toons.

Welp, nevermind... they seem to have hosed up peoples passwords who are just now merging mythic accounts with EA's so my orignal password no longer works aannnddddd you cant reset your game account passwords without the original. Theres also no longer a secret word option for the game accounts, how loving retarded are these people?

If you've signed up with origin for any reason usually that's your password now. I play alb and have been coming back and forth but no one is usually playing on alb :(

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Combo posted:

I don't have a link to it but I was using Bob's UI, the minimal version. It had everything I wanted (including the old spell/skill icons, god the new ones are hideous)

I've been using ghost UI which is pretty great. I can give you the files if you want I'll just zip up my custom UI directory.

http://teek.info/ghostui/

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

CactarHero posted:

Sweet! Same goes for anyone in this thread on Alb, I have one there.

Interesting! I am in need of an SC'er coming up soon, msg me in alb: Gnusong

Also:

There are rumors that this month Mythic will be copying characters from Mordred to the Ywain cluster. At the moment you can /level to 40 on Mordred, so if you were thinking of getting a few toons to 40, quickly you could do this.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cowboybot posted:

Are Thanes still terrible? I remember when I played back in the day (release) they were utterly terrible.

Thanes defiantly have gotten some love. In non uthguard their great interrupters and the damage is there. I'm not sure where uthguard left off but I see them a lot more now

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodbath posted:

I'm playing on Ywain as Mobiusss, almost level 50 Eldritch :)

So I'm close to 50 and having not played for years and years am wondering what you do when you get there? I'm guessing legendaries are not important any more. I figure I'll mostly be keep defending and stuff (I'm void/bolt and enjoying it) how do I go about getting better gear than the Cathal Valley bounty point equipment? Do people still do ToA stuff? Is Darkness Falls relevant at all? I quit after ToA so have no idea what Labyrinth and stuff are. Also what is Caledonia, is that an RvR zone? And do people still mainly use Emain Macha as the RvR zone?

Basically I'm guildless and have no idea how to make myself RvR ready :)

I recommend anyone thinking of returning give it a go though, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and levelling at a really good pace through the battlegrounds with a bit of RvR here and there is great fun. The community is very nice and I've met quite a few beginners and returning players. People are friendly and helpful, and the game is much more intuitive and accessible than I ever remember before.

I'm playing on alb but I can definatly give you some pointers:

Most of the TOA stuff can now be bought with either Bounty Points or Atlantean Glass. This includes both the Master Levels as well as Artifacts. Once you cap out of Cathal Valley ( that is if you chose to but if you're enjoying it why stop) you should be around 4L9 have a decent grip of how your class is played as well as gold and bounty points you can begin to build a suit.

If you want to pay with glass there are repeatable quests in TOA that give you Glass every run, they're fairly quick look for people in /region spamming for a Glass Group or something similar go to their zone you should be able to get a group rather quickly. The gold rewards are also pretty good.

Surf the web for a decent Eld suit, unfortunately I'm not really sure as I've never played hib but i'd imagine you'd want to get your dex pretty high as its your casting stat, and toa bonuses ( you can find those by typing /bonuses, the cap is usually 10% for damage/speed/pierce and 25% for spell duration and healing effectiveness.

DF is still a decent place to RVR but I've found it over run with sneeks. At the entrance there should be a quest that after killing 15 albs/mids you get a 1500 rp's BP's some cash and XP. Not a bad quest to pick up as it's repeatable.

Caledonia is an rvr event running till the end of the week or so ( if it's not already stopped ) its just a battle ground they opened for level 50's nothing to worry about. There is no real "main rvr" zone any longer due to New Frontiers but you can get a good feel for things if you join a group and get started in a BattleGroup usually each realm has 3+ groups running around trying to do things a good way to get your feet wet. However I would work on finding a suit first then get money/items for that suit, then cap out of CV.

Apologize for the length of this I just kept typing.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodbath posted:

Thanks for all this, very helpful. :)

I'm 47.5 at the moment and xping through Cathal Valley is a struggle. Would it be worth me starting with ToA stuff now as I xp, or is there another way to xp? I've only used battlegrounds so far.

Also what is this pict camp in the frontier? I see high level and low level people standing around pulling mobs, is that viable for me or do you need a level 50 alt to get in?

at 47.5 you should be running the glass quests you'll be able to xp up pretty quick to 49.8 ( remember if you want to stay in Cathal Valley to type /xp off before you hit 50! ) you'll still earn artifact xp but your level wont advance. you can continue to run the glass quests for a while ( or buy the glass off housing I'm not sure of hib prices but its around 1 - 1.5 p. per 5000 stack on alb. The pict camp is a part of the pictish invasion quest they drop some decent melee weapons. The quest might have ended or stopped I'm not 100% sure as to how its still running. Glad I Could help.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bloodbath posted:

Cool thanks. I've played around in Cathal Valley and started to discover that bolts aren't as great as I originally thought :( I think I might make a new character on Midgard as that's what I played years ago, and it always feels like home.

I'm wondering if perhaps I might be better off just getting to 39, as Molvik seems easier to gear for compared to Cathal or level 50. I remember Thidranki being hugely popular but it doesn't appear to be any more.

The eld bolts don't really have the damage as a wizard bolt due to most earth wizards being able to debuff their own damage. ( Matter for earth spec wizards ) I would give the other lines a shot I believe it's moon/sun spec would be better. You get a lot more utility ( Nearsight, AOE Disease, AOE Snare ) If you want to stay void, you can definitely work with another hib caster and debuff energy for them should help you drop things quicker.

The real key to RVR and successful RVR at that is having casters debuff damage types of other casters, using nearsight/disease, and interruption. CC at this point really isn't as "big" of a deal as it once was.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Snaxxor posted:

I reactivated, brought my bot back too. I'll be trying to group with Cult Nylar when I can get on. Just looking to get back into it right now.

Is max determination prefered over 10 minute purge? They reset my R8 Abilites on my Champ.

Purge now has 5 levels I believe all the way down to a 5 min reuse, Determination is pretty great when its coupled with charge, most CC classes worth their salt will already have 25% duration built into their templates thus adding even more time to what ever CC. I don't play a charge tank ( well outside of molvik ). But I think its always good to have purge at some level ( I have purge 2 on my mins and I'm leaning to move to purge 3 to lower the reuse. )

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Are extend groups still a thing? Probably our second best era after the PB bomb party was when we ran speedwarp extend caster groups. Everybody was so glass - if your bladeturn got broken, just go ahead and get up to take a piss and get a drink cause you're dead. Was a great challenge.

Something like cleric/cleric/friar/mind sorc/split sorc/split cab/body cab/theurgist, minstrel on croc tear.

Glad to see you all are having fun, and the game sounds much less painful to level up these days. No time for actually playing lately, but I still like to talk shop from time to time.

Extend groups are for sure still a thing on alb, though people are starting to move to hybrid groups ( bringing in a charge tank or a defensive tank switching bodyguard ). Best thing to do is body debuff train on alb these days: cleric/friar/spirt cab/body sorc/split sorc ( for cc ) /mini /thurg/ then a free slot for either a tank for charge or an extra thurg for interrupts. As long as you extend a tank group long enough their charge expires and their support isn't fast enough through the speedwarps. But everyone has to be on the ball for it to work.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

nousername posted:

This is antilash. We're messing around on alb land at the moment checking everything out and just generally screwing around. We miss you too :D I'm braenmeat on alb side at the moment but give me a message and I'll give you a vent info we hang out on.

are you guys on Ywain?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ggschmitty posted:

splaht come play alb with us :)

yes, alb best realm :)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I dropped 40 as well, It just seems a good interesting RVR focused mmo and there is nothing wrong with that, well so far that is!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

madpanda posted:

It sounds like the same process as transfers to ywain which means you can login but only in housing so you can see the full toon list.

you also come naked to ywain, however you do get money, scales, and glass among some other things to get you started.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dex on a mini isn't really that important, it only effects the demez and the AOE Mez. Both being such long cast times that the dex break points are quite high. Serpus, I'd see if you can work in the Shades of Mist cloak. the /use2 on it is pretty boss for damage mitigation which is what you're going to need as a stealth mini. I can post my group template for everyone for ideas if anyone wants. I have an astral chain chest in my vault as well if you need/want it to work around.
This is what i'm using, you'll have to find an rog with matter resist if you want to cap out matter, i've got qui on it for the slight boost in melee speed, though I doubt it matters:
you'll notice that the dragon int myth is equipped but its in the 2 handed slot, my version of GB wont let you create a custom myth so just assume that the values are present, this caps CHA/Dex and is close on con/str but with very little qui as you might expect.

Stat Details : Items / Cap

<-- Stats -->
Strength : 69 / 80
Constitution : 75 / 80
Dexterity : 101 / 99
Quickness : 27 / 75
Charisma : 101 / 100
Acuity : 101 / 90
Hit Points : 356 / 380

<-- Stat Cap Increases -->
Strength Cap : 5 / 26
Constitution Cap : 5 / 26
Dexterity Cap : 24 / 26
Charisma Cap : 10 / 26
Acuity Cap : 15 / 26
Hit Points Cap : 180 / 200

<-- Resists -->
Crush Resist : 27 / 28
Slash Resist : 28 / 29
Thrust Resist : 26 / 26
Heat Resist : 28 / 26
Cold Resist : 24 / 26
Matter Resist : 20 / 26
Energy Resist : 29 / 26
Body Resist : 27 / 26
Spirit Resist : 22 / 31

<-- ToA Bonuses -->
Melee Speed : 5 / 10
Melee Damage : 10 / 10
Style Damage : 8 / 10
Archery/Spell Speed : 11 / 10
Archery/Spell Damage : 12 / 10
Archery/Spell Range : 10 / 10
Spell Pierce : 10 / 10
Spell Duration : 21 / 25
Armor Factor : 27 / 50
Healing Bonus : 22 / 25

<-- General Skills -->
All Melee Skills : 7 / 19
All Casting Skills : 6 / 19
Stealth Skill : 8 / 19

<-- Albion Skills -->
Slash Skill : 15 / 19
Thrust Skill : 15 / 19

<-- Albion Magic -->
Instruments : 14 / 19

<== Equipment Info ==>

Weapons Equipped : Ranged ( 2H )
( Jewel ) (RoG) : AT
15 Acuity
3 All Casting Skills
40 Hit Points
10 Armor Factor
5 Spell Pierce

(Neck) : Medal of Honor
Item Level : 50
Item Type : Quest Reward
Expansion : Dragon's Revenge Campaign (Dragons)
Quality : N/A %
Source : Unknown
Item Origin : Universal
5 Crush Resist
5 Slash Resist
5 Thrust Resist
5 Heat Resist
5 Cold Resist
5 Body Resist
5 Matter Resist
5 Energy Resist
5 Spirit Resist
Charges ( 350v Ablative )
90.0 Utility / 90.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 40
Notes - Released Periodically | 350v Ablative | First seen in Dragon's Revenge Campaign

( Cloak ) (RoG) : Xanicar Cloak
3 All Casting Skills
18 Acuity
18 Dexterity
18 Constitution
1 Crush Resist
1 Slash Resist
1 Thrust Resist
1 Energy Resist
5 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Speed

( Belt ) (RoG) : Arcane Sash of the Vigilant
21 Acuity
18 Dexterity
40 Hit Points
5 Heat Resist
5 Cold Resist
5 Energy Resist
5 Acuity Cap
4 Dexterity Cap
40 Hit Points Cap
5 Spell Speed

(Ring) : Ring of Granite Enhancement
Item Type : Normal Drop
Source : Imported GBI/GBX
Item Origin : Albion
3 All Melee Skills
50 Hit Points
6 Heat Resist
6 Cold Resist
6 Slash Resist
6 Thrust Resist
6 Crush Resist
50 Hit Points Cap
87.5 Utility / 100.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 48

( Ring ) (RoG) : Rog Qui/Cha cap
27 Quickness
11 Armor Factor
10 Charisma Cap
11 Spell Duration

(Wrist) : Bracer of Arawn (BP Item)
Item Type : Bounty Point Reward
Expansion : New Frontiers (NF)
Source : Unknown
Item Origin : Universal
7 Heat Resist
7 Spirit Resist
6 Slash Resist
6 Crush Resist
6 Body Resist
6 Matter Resist
1 Armor Factor
76.0 Utility / 77.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 38
Notes - Bounty Merchant Item

( Wrist ) (RoG) : Bracer of Arcane Vigor
4 All Melee Skills
21 Strength
35 Hit Points
4 Crush Resist
4 Slash Resist
4 Thrust Resist
5 Strength Cap
35 Hit Points Cap
5 Armor Factor
2 Style Damage

(Chest) : Dragonslayer Lament Mail Hauberk (ToA)
Item Level : 51
Item Type : Dragonslayer Quest
Quality : 100 %
Source : Ethinarg
Item Origin : Albion
Absorb : 27% (Chain / Scale)
AF : 102
15 Strength
5 Cold Resist
5 Heat Resist
5 Spirit Resist
4 Melee Damage
4 Style Damage
15 Acuity
4 Spell Range
4 Spell Damage
Reverse Proc ( 130v Heal : Hit Points )
Reverse Proc ( 200v Ablative )
50.0 Utility / 66.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 43
Notes - XML Import | 100% Quality | Source: Ethinarg

( Head ) (RoG) : Shimmering Cap of the hollowed
18 Constitution
16 Dexterity
7 Thrust Resist
7 Body Resist
40 Hit Points
5 Constitution Cap
2 Melee Damage
2 Melee Speed

( Arms ) (RoG) : Infernal Sleeves (Magic)
15 Strength
16 Dexterity
16 Acuity
5 Acuity Cap
5 Dexterity Cap
2 Spell Speed
2 Spell Damage
5 Healing Bonus

( Hands ) (Auto Name) : Dragonsworn Enchanted Gloves (Dexterity +15)
Item Type : Crafted
Cold Resist : 3 ( Rough icy shielding jewel )
Body Resist : 9 ( Polished dusty shielding jewel )
Energy Resist : 9 ( Polished light shielding jewel )
Hit Points : 76 ( Perfect blood essence jewel )
Fifth Slot Bonuses : 15 Dexterity
Gem 1 : 1 On , 11 Ground Draconic Scales , 3 Frost From a Wasteland
Gem 2 : 1 Mon , 26 Ground Draconic Scales , 6 Undead Ash and Holy Water
Gem 3 : 1 Mon , 26 Ground Draconic Scales , 6 Sun Light
Gem 4 : 1 Ra , 37 Essence of Life , 10 Giant Blood

( Legs ) (RoG) : Astral Leggings of fortification
18 Strength
18 Constitution
40 Hit Points
10 Dexterity Cap
40 Hit Points Cap
2 Melee Damage
2 Style Damage
2 Spell Damage
2 Spell Range
10 Healing Bonus

( Feet ) (RoG) : Minstrel King Epic Boots
21 Constitution
35 Hit Points
9 Matter Resist
9 Energy Resist
5 Spell Duration
15 Hit Points Cap
2 Spell Speed
5 Spell Duration
3 Melee Speed
2 Melee Damage

( Right Hand ) (RoG) : Pictslayer Blade
3 All Melee Skills
21 Quickness
22 Strength
3 Body Resist
3 Energy Resist
5 Strength Cap
5 Quickness Cap
2 Melee Damage
2 Melee Speed
2 Style Damage

( Left Hand ) (RoG) : Pictslayer Buckler
25 Dexterity
5 Power Pool %
2 Thrust Resist
2 Slash Resist
2 Crush Resist
5 Acuity Cap
5 Dexterity Cap
3 Spell Speed
3 Spell Damage
10 Armor Factor

( Two Hand ) (RoG) : Dragon Intellect Mythirian
3 Constitution
3 Acuity
3 Dexterity
3 Constitution Cap
3 Acuity Cap
3 Dexterity Cap
1 Spell Range
5 Spell Duration

( Ranged ) (RoG) : Pictslayer Dirge
16 Acuity
18 Dexterity
3 Thrust Resist
3 Slash Resist
3 Crush Resist
5 Dexterity Cap
5 Acuity Cap
7 Healing Bonus
4 Spell Damage
4 Spell Range

Replacing the ROG ring with anything that has matter + spell duration works (i've since upgraded the rog)

( Ring ) (RoG) : Rog Qui/Cha cap
27 Quickness
11 Armor Factor
10 Charisma Cap
11 Spell Duration

The quickness on the suit is zero but as a group mini it hardly matters.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

angry muppet posted:

welp, more or less got my account setup again. Ran around a bit this afternoon on alb with some euro players I used to play with on Alb/Kay way back when. Seemed like there was actually a pretty decent rvr population from every realm.

Is anyone else playing alb or hib during euro primetime? ~2-5PM EST?

I'm on Gnusong most nights in alb.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

err posted:

edit: Is there any way to get my account back if I have no clue what email/account name I use to use? I only remember the character name. I really want to play, but don't feel like starting over.

Couldn't hurt speaking with mythic support. The worst you'll get is no, so you're no worse off.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pappasmurf1978 posted:

Alb side, I'd say maybe Friar/Heretic could do well with the NPC buffs + Self buffs, there's always the Vamp Hib side for a buffless toon.

There are now clerics in most rvr zones which you can buy a token with full buffs, they're close, but not quite as good as bot buffs, they're certainly good enough for normal rvr/leveling.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PriNGLeS posted:

Skald would probably be easiest in the early/mid levels. It's also extremely beneficial to auto-train a minstrel, so it's super painful to level one without instruments. Also much more expensive to template out a minstrel if you do stick with it.

Then there's the whole "minstrel issue" in alb, that I'm sure Kazvall from this thread can confirm, unless Alb has had a massive shift in thought.
Minstrels are pretty much not wanted outside of XP groups or maybe stealth groups/duos. Every single Alb group will take a Theurgist over a Minstrel for role of interrupter, and certainly a merc or reaver for DPS. While I wholeheartedly disagree with this view - a well played Minstrel offers stupid amounts of utility to a group - the entirety of the Alb realm does not.

Also to Kaz, sorry, I got sidetracked and have been playing Mid again.

Shouldn't you be out there for secondary CC? a 9 second stun, and a charm? Any alb group not taking a mins is putting themselves at a serious disadvantage. While the Theurgist is a better interrupter, no other class offers speed 6.

Edit:

If anyone is on ywan alb and needs some mins gear or help templating I can give a hand.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PriNGLeS posted:

Well, you would think so. But it has some logic to it, alb groups lose out on a lot of dps bringing in a minst, and a minst is inherently more complex and a lot easier to gently caress up on than say a merc or theurg.

Coincidentally albs pull in the least amount of rps every week.

I assume this is on Uthgard? Albs should never be losing a DPS battle on pure casters, body debuff train is insane DPS when done right. But then again, finding 8 competent people to fill all those positions isn't easy. I did level a mins to 50 on uthgard but I don't remember any of my account information.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

I still play from time to time. RvR in Albion is kind of a joke. If you plan to roll Alb it's all about the stealth/small man. Don't roll a Minstrel if you want to 8man. Just don't do it. Goons are welcome to hit me up on Steam as Kazvall if you need help, or a guild. You probably won't find me in game at random.

What's wrong with minstrels for 8v8? I seem to remember that there are almost too many at this point but if your competent you should have no issue. I would also suggest making sure to have both an 8v8 as well as a stealth suit so it opens up your options a bit more. With the changes to epic armor you should be able to set something up fairly easily.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PriNGLeS posted:

He was talking about on Uthgard, not live.

Oh I see! Carry on then :)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

GIMpy12 posted:

They have battlegrounds for every 4 levels. Chances are you will out level a battleground before catching any action.

The Proving Grounds (Level 1-4)
The Lion's Den (Level 5-9)
The Hill's of Claret (Level 10-14)
Killaloe (Level 15-19)
Thidranki (Level 20-24)
Braemar (Level 25-29)
Wilton (Level 30-34)
Molvik (Level 35-39)
Leirvik (Level 40-44)
Cathal Valley (Level 45-49)

Try using the DAOC portal/DOL launcher instead of the origin launcher I am on now.

Did they create the full complement of bg's? I don't remember having so many back during SI. I thought it started with thid around level 20-25. I may be well off however.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

LoreOfSerpents posted:

On live servers, you should never have to buy plat from Chinese farmers. In Hib, we were giving plat away, and I was crafting most things for guildies for free.

You don't need the really expensive ML10 gear for a passable template. Mythic revamped the free Epic armor so that it was actually okay, and some Summoner's Hall and Pictish gear can sub in for ML10 gear in a nice template. Scale armor was still really good the last time I played, and very easy to get while the Pictish quests were going.

That said, to make money on live servers, you have these options:
1) Craft (in Hib, this meant crafting for Alchemy and/or Spellcrafting orders, and I assume it's the same way for other realms)
2) RvR a lot
3) Run high-reward quests when they come up (like the recent Pictish quests)
4) Farm things strategically (Summoner's Hall)

And I still want Mythic to set up their own Origins server, like they said they were planning to do back in 2008. :colbert:

This is all very true. They've also brought in multiple seasonal quests, the spring quest is coming up with a great bracer ( believe it's the spring time folly bracer). The traveling merchants make appearances as well. If you have them saved up you can spend bounty points to handle and ml/artifacs you might need. With the traveling merchants, who sell ml10 gear, the marketplace has really gone down regarding high level gear. I don't even use my ml10 weapons any longer as the Pictish gear is slightly better. ( notes this is all on alb live )

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

sinewave posted:

It should be noted that you can buy any artifact for 300-1200 bp or glass each. About 5000 glass can be farmed in a few hours from repeatable turn-ins, solo. ML's cost 1500 each.

That's true I forgot about the glass but that's another way to gear up. As it stands, getting a top top tier template is usually going to require some sort of rog ring or bracelet. These can be bought or you can get them from an npc in one of the toa zones.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

sinewave posted:

Someone told me the quest NPC trades them for afrits in GG. Not sure thought.

The turn in for alb is outside of Stygian delta. I use to make a decent profit buying and selling afrit stacks on the housing market. It's tough to search housing for decent rog items since the search functionality is pretty weak compared to newer games.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

boho posted:

Is there a "what do I do at 50" guide for Live? I'm 40 and have started doing the glass quests to level. I know you can get a full set of epic armor for no effort at 50 but I'm kind of confused as to where things like pict farming, artifacts, master levels, and all that stuff fit in.

Before rushing to 50 you might want to spend some time in CV, Cathal Valley, it's a 45-49 bg and the rank is up to 4L9 so you can get some realm points under your belt before heading out to the frontiers. Depending on your class and realm you might be able to score the Pictish weapons from a merchant. But you can basically ask in /region about the pict quests and where to go. Usually there is a rolling bg running the quests so you can also just search for that. Artifacts and master levels both can be bought with glass in the entrance to ToA. Walk around and speak with the different npcs and you should be able to find your way. Now is the time to start thinking about a suit as well so try and get a good ideas as to what your looking to achieve suit wise. And make sure to save those Afrits for RoG jewelry if you want to make a template utilizing that.

at 50 you'll want to speak to the king and start your champion levels, which will take a bit but you can get a few different side specialization spells that are helpful.

Edit: if your on alb I can give you a hand if you like.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 3, 2014

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
All this minstrel chat has got me itching to resub again, im so close to rr10 on my minstrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

It's one of those classes where if you don't play perfectly you're going to lose. You've got a bag full of tricks but knowing when to use them is the key to success. Most of the time I'd get popped by a rr5 SB without my poo poo up and die.

Minstrel is a jack of all trades but a master of none. Since your melee is on the hybrid damage tables ( I believe ) you never hit hard enough, but then you'll never be able to spec up that high anyhow into slash/thrust since you need 50 ins. I * think * I have stealth up to climb walls but no higher, its a full group template and I'm useless 1v1.

EDIT:

If you're not a fan of bob's UI, give ghost UI a try:
http://www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php?113064-Ghost-UI-Update-1-115e

I prefer it to bob's

• Locked thread