Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

How come Orks don't interact with Chaos? I get that Tau and Necrons don't have souls, but Orks clearly have psykers and stuff. I think it's kinda weird and weakens how scary Chaos is that it only really gets at humans and space elves, not all sentients. (Personally I would like to see the Tau "awaken" or something and get some Chaos action because I think it's so strange that there can be sentients not linked to Chaos). I know about the Ork psychic gestalt thing, so maybe they're like the Tyranids, but the Tyranids I consider different because they're pretty much literally one outrageously strong will, right?

There are tons and tons of minor species out there, and they get corrupted like anything. If you run into an unknown planet of spacefaring xenos its safest to assume they're corrupted until proven not.
Then if you're a space marine or inquisitor you kill them anyway because they're xenos, or if you're a rogue trader you sell them things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

The group wants to be pirates. I'm not going to stop them in their dreams.

The have an Inquisition frigate, with all the heraldry and official-looking-documents that go with it.
It's not piracy, it's requisitioning!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bribe the Eldar / unfreeze an Alpha psyker to hit the sector with a warp-storm. Hope the ship is in transit at the time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hey guys I've got this brilliant idea. We'll take the most unbalanced lunatic Eversors we have and fuse them with Halo devices, then we'll hurl them into the warp. Devoid of anything else to kill they'll kill all the demons and humanity will be safe from Chaos!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

All this talk made me wonder, is the Eversor assasin the only weapon the Imperium designed specifically for terror?

Carcharadons?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

That's it! Find some way to turn those psykers into a shield to block the corruption.
You just have bind them with technology or a chaos ritual.

Or feed them to the guns to power them up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ashcans posted:

This can either be Imperial sanctions because the planet is coming up short on their grain tithe or, better, watch all the lovely inhabitants of hobbiton go full :unsmigghh: over rooting out and delivering psykers to the black ships.

Give them the opportunity to rescue a cadre of psykers. Bring them aboard ship, I'm sure everything will be fine.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 3, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I recently started playing Rogue Trader and I really want to name something Xeno's Paradox*—thing is, I don't know what.

Sounds like a powersword to me. Cut people / xenos in half a lot. Claim that doing so is deeply philosophical.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

You cannot actually destroy a xenos body, merely divide it into halves an infinite number of time.

No matter how many times you cut a xenos in half, xenos continue to exist.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It's absolutely fine if either A: Everyone is aware of this and on board or B: The goal is to eventually give some froofy space noble a spear-based enema and steal both his fancy deflector shield hat and his plasma flintlock.

When the Sky Warriors finally do arrive they're likely to be impressed by this. Want to sign up?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do they distinguish between a Sister being psychic and just really really holy?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It wouldn't look as cool as gold with sacred-bone inlay.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Everyone with illusions of normalcy. Only instead of "normal" you appear to be a perfectly-styled, teenage starlet.

The marines are just big-boned.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

I dunno, some space marine chapter deciding to dump a bunch of colonists on a death world to see if it results in a better recruitment source seems like a Thing That Would Happen.

"Well we had all these pilgrims and we were heading towards that shrine world, but you know stuff came up and now we were going in the opposite direction and we had to do something with them."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

The other seneschal had a better beard so the player schmoozed him up for a while

I had always thought it was moustaches that established order of priority among rogue trader houses.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lord Awkward posted:

Dark Heresy, where the acolytes are investigating possible corruption deep within the bowels of an Imperator Titan. Does the chaos taint run all the way to the top? Throw in interference from unhappy members of the Collegia Titanica and Mechanicus.

The actual battle going on outside only occasionally becomes relevant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

This is worth noting of course, because I have devised new methods of covertly delivering my horrendously mutagenic berserker compounds (also my new favorite, the P.E.L aka Paralyzing Exploding Liquid that does exactly what it says on the tin)

Is that an exploding liquid that makes you paralysed or a paralysing liquid that makes you explode?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Strictly speaking it's a liquid that paralyzes you, and while paralyzed you erupt almost immediately in inextinguishable flames. I tested this quite thoroughly on a crewman who grabbed a tainted door knob so we know it's transdermal in addition to all the other great things it does.

So they don't actually explode and wound everyone nearby with bone shrapnel, contaminating them with the drug?

That would be a good feature to put into a berserker drug actually. As your minion is finally brought down he explodes, injuring everyone nearby and getting his blood all over them. This in turn sends them berserk and they start fighting among themselves, until they explode. Probably no third wave though because the concentration isn't high enough anymore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FireSight posted:

*mumbles something about the all-Felid party being a pain to deal with*

Just have some Guardsmen turn the output on their lasguns way down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

contagonist posted:

Moment of shame: for four turns I dumped autocannon fire on one of the Grey Knights.

For four turns that Grey Knight dodged every single round.

Must have had a thunder hammer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatface posted:

...that only feature battlesuits as things you run the gently caress away from.

And/or steal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

With the ship's engine at full blast, the heretics launched boarding torpedoes as a ruse. The torpedoes were actually empty. Instead the heretics decided to RAM THE STATION with their frigate.

Have you checked to see if your heretics are actually orks?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

That is 40k as gently caress, though, esp for a mechanicus.

HEAD TUBES
MORE HEAD TUBES.

But should there be one headtube per degree of failure, or one per degree of success?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought the Sword Of Plausible Deniability were a merc outfit?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

He's a xeno/archeo-tech smuggler, and the only thing regrettable about his death is it not being at the hands of the Inquisition.

TheBlandName posted:

Look closely. He is one of the hands of the Inquisition.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Storm bolters are precisely 100% better than bolters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Macrocannon effectiveness is very much based on how good your gun crew / gun master is, Lances to a lesser extent. So if you're a really good shot then Macrocannons are definitely better, if not so good then a lance may be useful.

Lances are much better at orbital strikes though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatface posted:

The question is, what do you give an Ogryn commissar for doing executions? There's no guarantee that a bolt round to the back of the head will have any effect.

A bigger rock.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Bit too heretical. Just make them generic troopers who didn't even know they were going to be fighting on a water world until they woke up from the transport cold-sleep with a full set of bionic augmentations. Go full body horror.

They still need to collect blood samples from the locals to bring back to the Magos though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you don't make a player comically lose both hands if he tries to parry a power sword with his forearms then you are straight up DMing wrong. I don't even care what the rules say.

Then he gets augmetic hands that generate a power field of their own.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ambi posted:

Oh they got those at ship creation, along with Servitor Reclaimation Facilities, but sometimes you want to take a ship and not have to redecorate to get rid of gore and/or deal with still-active murder servos. Whenever they just wanted to gently caress over another ship, they fired murder servitor breaching pods at them. The alternative hijacking route was the board to ship themselves and take out the command staff & captain, then give the crew the old "join or die" over the PA system.

Do the breaching pods have Reclamation Facilities aboard them? Launch 30 murder-servitors, get 300 back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which book is all the orky weaponry in?
(And can the system be used for Heretek-built weapons?)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hard counter posted:

wait, what do people with low BS do then?

Take a full aim (+20) then use a Good MIU (+10) to fire a single shot (+10) as your Reaction, using an Accurate weapon (+10) fitted with a red dot sight (+10), custom grip (+5) and modified stock (+4) while supported by your Comrade (+5)

With +74 BS anybody should be able to hit the target.

(You can get +69 on full auto with a heavy weapon if you swap out the red dot sight for a motion predictor, have your comrade Stabilise you instead of volleying, and get a variant pattern weapon with Accurate).

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 18, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any fan-conversions of Rogue Trader to the newer rules? (Black Crusade/Only War/DH2)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait hang on, Rogue Trader is pre-aptitude system, isn't it

That's the tricky part. Plus any unexpected balance-breaking by letting people take any Advance they want - does anything snap in Rogue Trader?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume you'd ditch the talents/skills from RT and use the new ones from OW/DH2. What I'm not certain of is how to assign aptitudes to the backgrounds and archetypes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is there any fluffy excuse for a Techpriest to specialize in combat while not being a skitarii or anything? Just, a member technoarcheological dig whose main talents involve chainswording things?

Also, is there some way to sell things in DH 2.0? Or trade things in in return for other things?

Magos Biologis studying alien anatomy. The aliens tend to object to their on-the-spot vivisection, so high WS required.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 9, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Imperium is so vast and its organisation so labyrinthine that basically any organisational structure you care to describe is true somewhere.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's a big galaxy and you can have whatever the hell implants you like so long as they're not like obviously xenos, heretical, or daemonic

But who is anybody else to say that an implant is xeno/heretical/daemonic? I mean you're the techpriest here, surely you know better than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Yup that's a RT Astropath in combat alright.

I thought it was Black Crusade psykers who tended to destroy everything in melee?