Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

Hell yeah!

I'm trying to think of a way to say Imperium!, kind of like 'Murica! but I'm having troubles coming up with ideas. 'Perium! sounds okay.

AD's 'Emprah' is probably the best bet - it does come via /tg/, but it's originally from Indrick Boreale's exhortions to follow 'the Emprah' in Dawn of War - Soulstorm (around :45-ish). It's probably better than a variant on 'the Imperium', since you can slur the end of 'Emperor' into a wordless scream/battlecry much more effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I think one big problem with you're super duper destroy everything plot, Excelsior, is that there's not much room for player agency. You'll be moving the characters from big set-piece to bigger set-piece, for not much reason other than 'you arrive at this new planet, now investigate it' (which makes sense for acolytes, but not so much for Rogue Traders or high-ranking GKs). Once they're there, it looks more like you want to determine where they go in the story, and what they do - which at one point includes adding a DMPC child-deity to the party, who immediately takes over direction of it (which would be terrible under the best of GMs - given how you played a pooka in the game above, it's not really encouraging). As it stands, there isn't a campaign here - there's a set of events that you want to happen in narrative order, and are dragging the party along with them, which also opens you up to criticism based on the story you're trying to tell, and how it might not be very good.

There's nothing wrong with including big stuff in games - I, for one, ran the Haarlock Trilogy campaign under the assumption that Haarlock did a deal with the last Old One, that the Tyrant Star was its egg, and that the acolytes - as the long-lost descendants of Haarlock - were party to its dark influence. Despite ripping off the Lovecraftian 'my parents were monsters :qq:' storyline a bit, it worked OK - it gave the players license and space to consider what they'd do about the potential rebirth of a supremely powerful, unaligned precursor race, and whether it was wise to bring back something whose time had passed (it kinda wasn't), but allowed them to meaningfully interact with the campaign, and make choices.

The plot above just seems to layer on more and more big flashy things, though, without giving much time for characters to react with them in their own way (a functional STC that can create life? gently caress the Emperor, any Mechanicus characters are going to either start bowing down and worshipping it as the Machine Demiurge, or destroy it as the ultimate deceiver) - there's a whole epic plot there in itself. I don't think there's anything wrong with going big, but it needs to be interesting, and serve a narrative purpose - not just layered on for the sake of 'epic win'.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Wow, man, for a guy in a thread that's all about talking about "Power Metal: The Role-Playing Game", you sure seem upset at a silly storyline. Ever considered that Warhammer 40k isn't really meant to be the setting to play the deepest, most meaningful campaign ever?

Ehe. Chilli sauce is yummy. I'm going to slather all my food in chilli sauce. Actually gently caress that. gently caress food. I'm just going to have chilli sauce. Anything that's more meaty or complex than chilli sauce - gently caress that. It'd just get in the way of my appreciation of that most 'power metal' (:regd10: :shibaz: :kamina: :thumbsup:) of foods. By the way, 40k isn't even 'power metal' - it's 'baroque, over the top gothic', which comes with its own particular and distinct set of assumptions.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

What the hell is this thing?

Haven't got a clue - just searched the emoticons list for the coolest, sickest, and nastiest :getin: emoticons there were, as a way of showing subtle contempt.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yeah, stop having fun wrong!

Perhaps you're right - perhaps humour is subjective, and it's really unfair to suggest that certain sorts of games aren't exactly that good. Non-judgementalism all round!

Still, I'd suggest that bad game, especially when written poorly and without much choice for player agency, in a setting that doesn't exactly encourage that sort of game, is indeed wrong fun, or at least a failure to have as much fun as you could possibly have in a game. Waving the 'metal 40k' wand at whatever stylistic rough edges you have isn't necessarily going to lead to that fun a game, or that good a story.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

Wait a minute, are you saying that being metal as hell and not providing player agency are the same thing? 'Cause I don't get that at all. [E: Just realized that you're saying that we, excelsior's defenders, are conflating a lack of agency with being metal. Well, that's certainly not my position.]

This blog post right here has some good ideas about player agency, and I'd recommend it.

Nah, they're two separate points (though related). The script outlined above (and it feels much more like a script than a campaign arc) doesn't provide much in the way of player agency. It presupposes that the players will act a certain way, and Excelsior even claims as much - that he's trying to engineer things to be a certain way.

It's not helped by the fact that things just seem to be layered on for the purposes of them being there (the metal part). Old Ones, 'all the factions', turning up because hey, why not - you don't get much opportunity to interact with them in any meaningful way other than just adding them to your list of allies for the next stage of the plan.

40k does work as a :rockon: metal as hell, kitchen sink setting, but Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, etc., specifically play up other themes that don't work well with that approach. Dark Heresy's all about corruption, intrigue, how much are you willing to drat yourself in order to ; Rogue Trader's about the horrible fuckery that unaccountable corsair-capitalists can unleash upon the galaxy, and how long they can get away with it while maintaining a debonair front.

All of those are enjoyable themes, and suffer massively if you're just going for a solely 'rockin' type game. By dialling back the latter, even only a bit, you can get a lot more fun out of the game, by allowing people to 'explore themes and battle foes' rather than just 'score righteous fury on Ork Warbosses'.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The higher up you get in the Mechanicus the more the mystical :techno: is replaced by genuine :science: (though still with a healthy dose of rhetoric and STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM X, Y, and Z)

Maybe, but I'm fairly sure that it actually begins getting more and more 'weird and horrifying a-rational incantation-based stuff' after a bit - boring :science: stuff like 'how does boltgun shoot bolts' is beneath them. The highest level Archmagi are playing about with soul magnets, fragments of billion-year-old transdimensional sun gods, and daemonic nanobots. Hell, the Emperor, the big-up advocate of all things Bright and reasonable, couldn't finish the Primarch project without doing deals with the four ultimate powers of spiritual evil.

quote:

Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

And all that. Ultimately, when you pull back the 40k science curtain all the way, there are only more gribbling horrors behind it.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Also, I know that one of the Deathwatch books has rules for portraying massive-scale battlefields and how to give them some sort of physical representation...Think there's any way to violently graft Epic Armageddon onto Deathwatch?

Not really - why would you want that - they're completely different systems, with different scales. In Epic you have great groups of people (including your party) getting killed very easily, or suppressed or just vanishing - it doesn't work with a protagonist-centered game. If you want to play Epic, play Epic, but it's unlikely to gel very well with an actual party system.

Rites of Battle has rules for playing with bigger military assets, calling in things like a squad of Leman Russes (~3 - you'd be looking at 10 or so at an epic level), as well as lance strikes and orbital observation using battlefield requisition. If you want to play DW as part of an epic battlefield conflict, it's much better to stick with the DW rules, and model in-game what's going on around them (in such a way as to make it fun for them) than to 'verisimilitudinously' feel that you've got to model everything.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

I wish to see this, please!

First result on Google.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420026&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also, has anyone had a look at that new Deathwatch book yet? Is it any good? When I saw the increased length and the higher price tag, I had a sudden moment of hope that it would be another 'here's some weird setting stuff, go wild' book like DotDG - worth getting?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Even if they won't be directly useful as psykers, the CSM Librarians are exactly the type of advisors I'd want along on that sort of hell ride. They'd be your best resource for what the Imperial psykers can do.

Remember that a Black Ship isn't only (or even mostly) Imperial Psykers - it's going to have an absolute ton of rogue/uncontrolled/mad ones on it too, who've been cooped up for years and years in a tiny metaphysical cell. Sure, some might help you, some might be predictable, but the vast majority of the powerful ones are going to instantly become unbound, omnicidal daemonhosts or otherwise go all Rita Repulsa on you all.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Alectai posted:

How the hell are they even supposed to be playable? Don't they need to torture everything they can so their soul doesn't get slurped up?

: Did you know? The average Rogue Trader dynasty, through its rampant settler colonialism and exploitative imperialistic methods, tortures planetary populations and sucks their souls on a scale that most Dracons could only dream of.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Liesmith posted:

this is a really minor issue but I hate it when people use the word 'myriad' like it means 'lot', eg. engage the enemy with a myriad of tactics. I prefer when it's just "engage the enemy with myriad tactics." I know Myriad can be a noun, and that it is arguably more correct that way. I just think it sounds stupid.

Iirc Milton uses it a lot to describe huge armies ('Satan clothed with transcendent brightness didst outshine
Myriads of angels'), which reads quite nicely, and (while I have no idea whether this is deliberate) you do often get similar usages in 40k background to describe big units of holy warriors/corrupted machine spirits (and so on). I'm OK with it bleeding over into just describing a whole lot of stuff. It's no 'musculous might', that's for sure.

Also, as far as it being a run-up to Dark Heresy 2.0 is concerned, it looks to me like it might even be Dark Heresy 2.0 - so far we know that there are

Storm Trooper
Priest
Medic
Enginseer
Sanctioned Psyker
Heavy Gunner
Commissar

and a further 5 specialties beyond that, which would seem to cover a lot of the DH archetypes. They might go the Daemon Hunter route and have multi-purpose books.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Liesmith posted:

whoa, I just had a cool thought because of this. imagine a daemon prince reigning over a distributed sorcerer network of incredibly weak, barely awakened psykers, but it's like a folding@home thing where all that unused psychic potential is being harnessed. Maybe there's a cult that put something in the water supply of a whole agriworld six thousand years ago, and that contaminant keeps getting renewed by the people who live there because of bureaucratic inertia. The contaminant is not major enough to get picked up by those who watch for such things, and now the world's produce goes to a hundred planets. That tiny contaminant is inert in nonpsykers, and in actual grownup psykers with an actual psy rating it's totally blown out and has no effect. but it latches on to the really marginal cases and actually helps them out, curing their weirdness so that they merge nicely into imperial society. A whole sector has been pretty demon free for pretty much all of history as a result. meanwhile the incredibly minor psychic potential that they aren't tapping is fueling a warpstorm that has been hiding something important for all that time.

That could be a cool rear end thing to have to investigate. Maybe your inquisitor is curious as to why this sector has been so abnormally free of evil for so long. Maybe your rogue trader ship picked up some rations on the agriworld and they immediately settled down the subdeck mutants, and your guy is smart enough to say hmm...

or maybe a deathwatch/black crusade team is after what's inside that warpstorm

Wasn't this kind of similar to what the not-scientologists were doing in the Purge the Unclean adventure? Admittedly they were rendering the fledgling psykers down into the contaminant, rather than using them, but there's a whole hook about Adrantis and the serrated query that you could work with.

Like the idea of psyking@home though.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Perhaps the same could be said of all worship of the warp powers ... make you think.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You're probably right.

Hello old friend.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

quote:

UNTOUCHABLE

Career: Any Career, but you may not possess a Psy Rating. Special: May have no other package, talent, trait or similar that grants psychic, faith or warp-based powers or abilities, both during creation or later development.

Cost: 400 xp.

Untouchables are extraordinarily rare individuals who cast no shadow in the warp. Their mere presence acts to inhibit and disrupt psychic energy to such an extent that even humans with no psychic ability whatsoever grow uncomfortable and fractious around them. People who possess this unique nature are often marginalized and isolated, possessing few or no friends and have suffered a very troubled uprbringing. Many find themselves living on the criminal margins of the Imperium for all their lives to die alone and unmissed. Unsettling and disliked though they may be an untouchables powers are singular and as can be imagined, the Inquisition has many uses for such singular individuals in its wars against the witch and the Daemon, as do certain cults, conspiracies and worse for their own dark purposes.

Apply all of the following changes to your character.

Characteristics: The character’s starting Fellowship Characteristic is reduced by 10 (if the character’s Fellowship is 10 or less already, it is reduced to 1) but may later be increased as normal.

Unsettling Presence: An untouchable suffers a –10 penalty to all Interaction Skill Tests. Psychic Blank: The character may never gain Psychic Powers, Pure Faith, Sorcery or related Talents.

Psychic Invulnerability: An untouchable is completely immune to Psychic Powers, psychic energy and effects directed against them (as well as warp powers, possession, sorcery, Corruption from warp shock, and so forth) Also, he cannot be detected by means of Psyniscience, Sense Presence, or similar abilities—powers of this type directed at their person, even though successfully manifested, simply fail. Powers in whose wider areas he is caught simply fail to affect him—although they may affect other people normally, subject to their disruption effect.

Psychic Disruption: All Psychic Powers and abilities manifested in the character’s immediate area (a radius equal to the Untouchable’s Willpower Bonus in metres) have their Threshold increased by 10, plus any associated Test by the psyker (such as Willpower Tests) have their Difficulty increased by –20. Additionally, entities subject to Warp Instability will suffer double Damage from its effects while in this area. Note: It may still be possible to indirectly affect an untouchable with a Psychic Power—for example, a boulder telekinetically dropped from a great height on an untouchable will still flatten them. This is left entirely left to the discretion of the GM.

it's quite good, but rather all-or-nothing when it comes to psyker opponents. The other problem is that it limits your abilities as a GM to have weird and spooky warp phenomena mess with the party's perceptions and actions, as the blank will be all :spergin: 'what? I don't see anything'.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Karandras posted:

In my Deathwatch game I gave the party a choice of two missions, with the Watch Captain letting them know the other mission would be covered by other assets.

Is it a dick move to just have the mission they didn't do fail or think I should roll and give it a reasonable chance of success?

Have it succeed, but with a cool complication or new fact that makes the results of the mission interesting and relevant for them. The other kill team completed their mission, but oh no, they're trapped, or, while they're on their own mission, oh no, they found something that suggests the other mission is an ambush, do they break off their current assignment to help their battle brothers, or maybe the other assets come back having completed their mission perfectly well, but act suspiciously and might have been corrupted and turned during the mission. Don't penalise them if they don't want to do/be involved in a mission, but make it so that it's still relevant if they want it to be.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Thanks for that, buddy. I didn't see that in the book! Is it from a supplement?

Radical's Handbook. I think there's some stuff on blanks elsewhere - Disciples of the Dark Gods, maybe, plus some Rogue Trader stuff - but that's the most recent Dark Heresy material.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

but oh no, what is this, what monstrous force has emerged from the depths of the warp, a mysterious third party devoted to winning this rock-off by any means necessary?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

quote:

As mere violence is so passé, however, many Heretics of Slaanesh prefer cutting with words instead; to that end, the new rules for Social Combat allows players to use their wits as weapons. Words have power, especially using the new Curses you’ll find here. Rules for Seduction can also sway enemies to your side—including fellow players!—to ensure their acquiescence. The new Glorifying Acts are also great fun as players can release their selfish desires for power, ignoring possible consequences to the rest of the group in order to gain greater Infamy!

Oh boy!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Liesmith posted:

Social pvp can be done well, and makes sense in Black Crusade imo.

Sure, but I don't want to read the words 'use seduction rules on other players' in the middle of that, as the main example they give of it.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Has anyone had a look at The Emperor's Chosen (that new Deathwatch supplement) yet? Any good?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

I guess I have a hard time seeing it working, what with the nature of the Warp and Psyker powers and burnout and all. :shrug:
On the other hand, it does make me think of a funny comparison to IP Over Avian Carriers

Anyway, I'm busy working up a Salamanders Apothecary, starting at Rank 2, for a game of Deathwatch. Any advice? I'm guessing that the usual combat recommendation is to grab a Thunder Hammer with the upgrade that lets it set things on fire?

Is there a way I can use a jump pack before Rank 3 (I think that's when Pilot is available)? I totally like the idea of a Para-Apothecary zipping around the battlefield ("Health from above!"), and it'll be great for getting into hammer/flamer range.
Plus as a Salamander I can totally be swooping around, yelling and burning dudes.

YES (re: jump packs) - check the errata (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/deathwatch/news/faq/Deathwatch%20Living%20Errata%20v1-1.pdf). Space Marines of any type can get pilot (personal) at rank 1 for a measly 100XP, it's a pretty pro-take option.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Rocks may not be 'free', citizen, but they certainly do work.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Important question. My psyker recently had her skin acid-peeled off by a horrible critical wound result, and is very seriously injured. I'm rapidly working my way through my fate points trying to stave off infection and work our way through to the end of the current assignment, banish the demon, etc, but at some point when we get back to our Inquisitor, I need to put some serious thought into long-term medical attention. It's been suggested that there may be some complications wrt. the healing process, especially since she had a malignancy-induced psychic burn scars over most of her body beforehand, so I might need to look into getting some sort of artificial replacement, which our Inquisitor will hopefully spring for what with the whole heroic daemon-banishing thing. It'd haemorrhage Subtlety, but we've never been great at that as a group and she's not very subtle anyway, and it would fit in with her character theme of going beyond the pale and throwing humanity away in an attempt to be 'right' and 'normal'. So, any suggestions for a suitably 40k impermeable epidermal barrier?

- gold leaf
- ceramic
- wrought iron
- the bones of a slightly larger person, ideally a holy and blessed member of the Ecclesiarchy
- something else? idk ... ???

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Obviously you should be flaying your enemies and wearing their skins over your mangled body, replacing them as they wither and begin to putrefy.

Ronwayne posted:

Well, Fabius bile uses the skin from obese vatgrown slaves to cover his kit-bashed space marines, so depending on how radical (in both sense of the word) you and your Inquisitor are, you could be wearing someone's skin that actually fits.

We are nominally a Puritannical group, although we have barely any Inquisitorial oversight and a lot of the party have got pretty dodgy soul-wise ... hmm, will probably keep these ones behind my ear in case we ever go over to the other side.

Waroduce posted:

Dreadnought imo

Not pretty enough/imposes penalties on focus power checks.

Elukka posted:

Just learn to stave off infection and pain through psychic means. Why even have a skin?

Waroduce posted:

Wot if the psyker is knocked unconscious

Considered doing this, since you can sustain powers indefinitely now without a test - there was a while where I went around wreathed in a sustained manipulate fire effect to impress a clan of feral voidborn into thinking I was a prophet - but yeah, the going to sleep/unconsciousness thing would be a problem, and I don't want to invest in biomancy or telekinesis, both of which are deeply inferior to (and not as stylish as) the True Power disciplines of divination and pyromancy.

LuiCypher posted:

The correct answer is skulls.

Arglebargle III posted:

Obviously the most 40K choice is gold leaf ceramic wrought-iron hung with the bones of * where * is:

Dark Heresy: psykers twisted in telekinetic death agony at the feet of the Golden Throne itself; in total silence the psyker can hear the echo of their screams
Rogue Trader: xenos beings scrimshawed with alien runes that are pleasing to the eye and yet never seem quite the same on repeated viewings; in total darkness they shimmer with a blasphemous unlight
Black Crusade: servants of the corpse-god slaughtered in ritual sacrifice; they forever drip with the blood of the slain and smoulder with the sweet fragrance of death

Dark Heresy, so yeah, this works. We're currently on (and saving) Thaur, which is a giant cemetery world where the Askaellon Sector's richest and most holy get interred in bone orchards, so it's not like there'll be an absence of blessed bones to graft onto my flesh. I wonder if I can persuade the local Ecclesiarchy to release a few of them into my care ... otherwise, this:

Rockopolis posted:

Collodial silver; antiseptic, Sacred, and puts you in serious contention for a Warrsnt of Trade.

is actually a pretty good idea. iirc, colloidal silver doesn't have a decent antimicrobial effect, but metallic silver does kill off bacteria, so getting myself silver-gilt is a 100% good idea. Maybe have pentagrammic wards done while I'm at it.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

ETA on you flaking out on that game?

Given that I've been attending it irl since May last year, I think your weird obsession might be a little misplaced?

Edit: ahaha it is you, drat you spend a lot on name changes.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 8, 2015

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Question for y'all. So far, Dark Heresy has (as far as I'm aware) never had a basic weapon that has both the accurate and blast traits - but that's no longer the case, as you can load a condemnor-combi-bolter's crossbow side, which has accurate, with explosive quarrels or (in a pinch) theta-pattern concussion bolts, both of which have blast, and neither of which remove the accurate quality.

When you aim, accurate gives you +1d10 damage per 2 DoS on the 'hit' you score - but blast says that you then do that damage (i.e. the same damage, the same roll) to everyone within the radius. So, would an accurate aimed blast shot do +2d10 damage to everyone in the AoE? I guess there's the realism argument - a precisely aimed shot at a weak point wouldn't affect other caught in the blast, but then again you could also make a case for making sick MLG trick shots with the explosive aimed at /just the right/ angle - but I don't see any strict RAW argument against it. Thoughts?

The ceramic-doll-face psyker (cheers for everyone's ideas, btw) did a Dodgy Deal With Dark Powers to save the party from the Red Cages, but and my new Sororitas character is looking covetously at interesting weapon options - crossbows seem cool because of the sheer range of things you can shoot out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

So I guess you just need someone to make the wiki, a couple dozen more ideas guys, and ...