Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Honestly, for a proper WAAAGH!, you want the guard. The Space Marines simply don't have the numbers to combat the greenskin hordes, and indeed they're doctrine of battle isn't designed for that sort of fight anyway - they're surgical strike machines, not "grind you into foul-smelling-paste-through-sheer-manpower-and-stubbornness" that it usually takes to kill a WAAAGH and that the Guard is exceptionally good at.

Really you want both though. Have the Guard hold the line whilst the Space Marines decapitate the leadership and then let the WAAAAGH collapse in on itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Whenever anyone, of any stripe, anywhere in the galaxy thinks about prosecuting a Rogue Trader that person must also think about if they have enough men, materiel and willpower on hand to fight his starship/s. Given that even a small starship can devastate a planet and kill billions of people, they'd better be drat sure that this is the best use of their time and energy.

The faction that usually prosecutes a Rogue Trader is the Inquisition and unless it is some small fry who has no pull they will have their own ship and/or fleet depending upon how prepared they are for the situation. Rouge Traders are powerful and not to be taken lightly but at the same time there are many factions who if given a reason are able to wreck them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Moving on. I have been looking at the psychic powers available in Black Crusade and was wondering just if the Exalted powers were worth building around.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Werix posted:

So a thought came to mind; I was wondering if anyone knew. So with hypnoconditioning that marines go through, did that exist pre heresy? I understand the conditioning including a lot of "the emperor is god, worship and die for him" whereas the whole great crusade was space-renaissance with "no gods, only (super) men".

So was the conditioning different pre heresy, or did it not exist at all ? I think the black crusade roleplay implications would be interesting.

I don't think it did. The main point of the hypnoconditioning is to try and ensure that a Space Marine will never waver in his duty and in so doing risk becoming a traitor. Before the heresy though it there was any hypnoconditioning it was focussed on making the Space Marines even more brutal warriors as the loyalty issue did not even exist as how could Space Marines turn on each other?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

This is good advice and I will follow it.

Does anyone have any decent homebrew rules for a titan? I kind of want to give them one eventually if they play nice with the Mechanicum.

Though you would have to adjust a lot of how it works I think the Adeptus Evengelion system would be quite helpful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FireSight posted:

I'm working on a homebrew version of Ascension where everyone makes a throne agent, and then makes a team of Acolytes that work under their agent... each team can be sent off as NPCs, or players can take control of an acolyte if what one Agent is doing is particularly interesting.

Basically, Ars Magica style mechanics so if your main dude is busy, you have a less important (and disposable) underling to play as in the meantime.

I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the sheer amount of work it takes to create a character, however.

Wouldn't it be easier to just make the A team composed of the Throne agents and a D team made up of the acolytes and let the group as a whole decide who to send on each mission. So while you might end up having a gang operation ripped to shreds by a Death Cult and Vindicator Assassin tag team whilst the Interrogater and Desperado capture the leader but you could also end up having your acolyte team running up against a cult that just summoned a Bloodthirster. Their would have to be some limits to how often the A team could be used but this would make information gathering classes very powerful as it will be up to them to figure out just what level of threat an encounter will bring and plan accordingly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I believe it's the High Lords who control the Minotaurs, who are kept over-supplied and over-manned in order to be able to overmaster any other individual chapter if necessary.

They can handle any chapter that can only count on forces drawn from the codex. The moment they are forced to handle a chapter like the Black Templars or Ultramarines who have their own unique ways of having a force much greater then the Codex is supposed to permit the Minotaurs would be screwed.

The best way to handle the Inquisition would be to find a way so that their services are no longer needed, either by providing them yourself or by somehow creating areas that are stable enough that the general insanity of 40K does not destabilize them enough that an inquisitors brand of problem solving is not needed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rockopolis posted:

The Archmagos went Necron-nuts. It's a hazard of the profession.
The #2 Magos saw this, and not wanting Inquisitorial scrutiny, made a bargain with the Dark Eldar to nip the problem in the bud. Some serfs in exchange for targeted raids and assassinations. They decided the Forge World was a great place to raid.
The #3 Magos saw the #2 Magos make a stupid bargain with the DEldar and panicked, hiring some Blood Axes mercenaries to derail the #2 Magos' plans. They brought along a lot of friends.
The #4 Magos was actually working for the Inquisition and was all :catstare:, but got flattened in an actual industrial accident before he could report.
The #5 Magos hired some Kroot mercenaries to defend himself against the Orkz, so now a Tau intervention fleet is on its way.
The #6 Magos is a Squat.
The #7 Magos freaked out and accidentally summoned a bunch of demons while trying to delay the Tau fleet. Just as planned.
The #8 Magos is too busy trying to get tenure to notice any of this going on, but he accidentally released a Genestealer into the wild. A splinter fleet is on its way.

The Watch Commander hears about this from a Rogue Trader, and doesn't know what the gently caress. He calls for a conclave, roughly the same time that Duke Severus hears about the situation from his Legates.
A Radical Inquisitor decides to leak the presence of the Dark Eldar to a bunch of Eldar who were asking questions about a lost Maiden World.
The conclave decides to send in a kill team to figure out what's going on, while an invasion force is assembled.

Lock, Stock, and Twin-Linked Barrels?

edit
Did I miss anyone?

No Alpha Legion cell going active or Night Lord/World Eater attack but besides yah it sounds like the perfect storm of of insanity.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Should anyone be interested in the concept I used of treating the primarchs like a pantheon of gods that worshipers would make sacrifice to, with the Emperor as the head of the pantheon, here's the spheres of influence I assigned for the primarchs. Would need some modification for non-Astartes, probably.

Lion el'Jonson: Strategic skill, keeping secrets

Jaghatai Khan: Swiftness, wisdom in general

Leman Russ: Loyalty, ferocity in battle

Rogal Dorn: Defensive warfare, fortification, void war

Sanguinius: Compassion, general "What a Space Marine should be."

Ferrus Manus: Anything to do with technology, especially cybernetics

Roboute Guilliman: Organization, interactions with non-Astartes

Vulkan: Patience, craftsmanship, resilience

Corax: Stealth, deception, unorthodox tactics

I would include loyalty and/or protection with Rogal Dorn.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going from the tabletop version the damage done will be 1d10+3+14-Toughness.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I'm working in what amounts to an alternate setting in my game, after the conclusion of our previous multi-year Rogue Trader campaign that ended in bringing an intact and fully functioning STC back to the Imperium. Which they promptly used to make more copies of. Circa 200 years later, and the PCs are part of the nascent Imperium Secundus, a renaissance for the Imperium of Man headed by five returned primarchs. I made an extensive series of posts about it earlier in the thread.

The only real *change* outside the Imperium Secundus I've made is revealing some hints and pieces about the missing XI Legion. They were Chinese inspired, specifically a wuxia themed Legion that wouldn't be out of place in Jade Empire or Legend of the Five Rings. They had a real thing for unarmed combat, and in a graceful martial arts way.

I remember the last time you talked about this setting you mentioned how due to Dorn the Black Templars are not part of Imperium Secundus. Out of curiosity how did the Black Templars as a chapter take that?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Probably Roboute Gulliman and Leman Russ? Unsurprisingly, ones that stayed loyal to him all the while.

Shouldn't Rogal Dorn be the first on the list or did the Emperor try loving with him as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

So does Boltpistol McAngryhelmet not once stop and wonder.. "How did my life end up at the point where I'm surrounded by flying daemon-possessed gimptrons" ?

Even in 40K, one supposes there are easier and/or safer ways to make a throne.

If chaos was able to comprehend just how insane and/or stupid the stuff they do was then they would kill themselves.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For a final engagement of the campaign make them go tank hunting with krak/melta lances.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Another idea would be to have them reenact the charge of the light brigade.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

A suitably fatalistic end, though my players may feel a bit gipped.

Nothing says they have to die in the process. Make it clear just how dangerous a head on attack would be and give them an option of a more difficult path that limits their ability to fight whilst mounted but makes the artillery encampment relatively easy pickings, or allow them to just charge straight up the middle and hope for the best.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason why a Power Blade is the exact same rarity as a Power Sword?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

Sure, within charted space- but what could an Inquisitor reasonably bring to bear in, say, the Koronus Expanse? Given the whole "speaking with the voice of the Emperor beyond the borders of the Imperium" thing?

You mean besides their own armies and/or fleets?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing though. Whilst the Eversor is flying a plane it is notably less deadly just due to the fact that it has to use at least one hand to steer.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

ed: ^ yeah that

I have no idea what the new lore is re ctans if they're even still around, just that new necrons are sassy mummies rather than a race entirely of boring terminators.

Almost all the ctans were killed by the Necrons and were broken down into hundreds of little fragments that are used by the Necrons like attack dogs. Of course the issue is that the Ctan always have to keep an eye on them for should they escape then they can start merging with other shards that could lead to a Ctan eventually coming back to life again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With Angron the Emperor should have teleported down there with some Custodes and just wrecked poo poo on the attacking armies. It would have been a good way to not only show Angron how powerful he actually was, but also help give him some stability in the form of his comrades still being alive.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Or the Space Wolf primaris in the Raven Guard. Or the Blood Angel in the Imperial Fists.

Cawl should just offer all the Word Bearer primares to the Black Templars. Not like anyone will be able to tell the difference.

The World Eater primares would also work quite well in the Black Templars.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Yarrick has the advantage of being famous among Orks, well, everywhere. When you're the guy that Ghazghkull decides to let go because you're just too much fun to fight, you're something special.

Isn't he able to wield a power klaw in part because of how much respect Orks have for him?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Every other major race has had a chance to gently caress up the galaxy so it only fair that they got a chance at it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Be aware that calling Sisters 'a type of sorceror' will get you set on fire.

And that is if you are lucky.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If they didn't burn down the old world to make it people would have been a lot more open to the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And be prepared to just cut away large chunks of it that are too tainted by chaos.