Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pulled from a stone
Foraged by hereteks on a Death World
Horked up by a Mauler Fiend
Ripped from a Chaos Titan's leg
Forged from as many different Xenos weapons as we could find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

wiegieman posted:

For tonight's assignment, find the one structure, hive, or city-plex in the Imperium that wasn't designed according to hidden heretical geometries.

Bloody Stupid Johnson, Tzeentch's favorite hive planner looked upon his latest work and despaired. Everything had gone just as planned, the temples to the Corpse-Emperor spaced in such a way that when the slaughter commenced all the blood would cascade down the fluted pillars as the cacophony of screams rose up (funneled throughout the city by an intricate arrangement of vox-casters) to split open the veil between realms. Everything was perfect, except for the difference between ' and ". As the very small Lord of Change surveyed its new realm, Johnson sobbed.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tias posted:

Yeah, if your navigator, explorator or astropath isn't knee-deep in daemon engine friends already, it's been a slow session.

The Explorator in the game I'm running is really into the Omnissiah stuff. No xenos tech.

On an unrelated note, I'm using Lucin's Breath in the campaign. Does anyone have neat suggestions for nepenthe, the promethium++ stuff? Right now I'm thinking it gives flame weapons an extra d10 keep the highest.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any official rules. I like extra fiery fire better, I think.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Doesn't the Culexus helmet-gun rig that helps focus their power into a beam weapon also serve to dampen their creepiness aura so they can infiltrate sites without every guard simultaneously getting chills down their spine, or whatever?

Oh no, quite the opposite. It amps it up so much that the broadcasted effect affects so many people with vague unease that you can't pinpoint the assassin. Entire hab-blocks getting creeped out for no discernible reason. Normal people don't know Culexus exist after all.

JcDent posted:

A Space Marine Tac sarge is a dude with already with hundreds of years of potential experience of going through the scout-assault-devastator gauntlet, and then added the experience needed to become a Tac sarge. He'd rise to the occasion.

The squishier mortals, well...

I don't know how much politics you have on a conquest of a corrupted planet, as every native is considered a heretic and anyone disagreeing to shoot them is automatically a double heretic.

Well, they're only heretics because nobody brought them the Emperor's Word. Are the blood thirsty but mostly non-Khornate warriors better or worse allies than the nomads whose "horses" can run up walls?

Most chaos worshippers outside the Empire are completely redeemable, the Imperium just doesn't bother. Even mutants and abhumans can be loyal Imperial citizens.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LGD posted:

I wonder if space marines will be able to choose embiggening as one of their Ascension options

The Primarus Marines are the size of regular Marines, it's just that previously the TT Marines were smaller than they are in canon. Right?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jesus. They must be pushing 15 feet. Normal marines are 10.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I guess that makes more sense. Still, those are some big boys.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The fourth race is going to be Tau. Necrond if we're lucky though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Idiot doesn't even have any digiweapons, not going to last long.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think that dude needs at least a servoskull or grapplehawk or to otherwise look like he's in 40k. I think the clean minimalist look is the exact opposite of what 40k is about as a setting. Everything is deeply lived in, there have been generations of humans before you and there will be generations after you, as long as you don't gently caress up. The RT corebook has a dude who looks like a rogue trader as the interior art.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 27, 2018

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cythereal posted:

Also, the Tau now have overheating weapons that can explode and fry them. :v:

? Did they forget how plasma worked between editions? Are they close combat dudes now or just worse in general?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I appreciate the answers. I'm not doing Tau (hopefully) but I've been running the Thyrrus as a hivemind that only acknowledges drama and that's been a blast. They have a Greek chorus and explicit roles that they assign and the utter incomprehension of individuals as opposed to roles has been good. One demonstrated their suicide belt as a way to attain Remembrance and it was fun.

"What happens if we defeat you?"
"This one has a suicide belt."
"Suicide be-?"
*Thoompth, there is alien squid parts everywhere*

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It means you're opting out of the Chaos reward/punishment system entirely and trying to bring about the Death of the Imperium for other (arguably purer) reasons. You'd want to amass resources and power anyway though, because the other crusaders are probably going to try to murder you simply out of disbelief.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Feel free to switch the entire system to d20, there's zero chance that'll have repercussions.

I'm excited to see what the 4th edition WFRPG looks like, I've got all the 2e books because it came out at I time I had a regular physical group and was something other than D&D. 3rd edition was horrible because it lacked playable halflings and also the dice mechanics looked un-interesting. D100 is a perfectly okay system.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

moths posted:

For me the $100 buy-in, awful cover art, and gimmicky cards are all pretty huge red flags.

Is "success" a trademarked term? Why are they calling success "icons" and "exalted icons"? It's jargon for jargon's sake.

I've been trying to read the free RPG day module, and I just cannot dig it. Also we're still using grid maps in 2018, apparently.

Grid maps for a miniatures combat game? :monocle:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Klaus88 posted:

:rolldice: "You take a direct hit from a rail rifle."

:downs: "Crap, how much damage does it do?"

:rolldice: "You fail to understand the catastrophic implications of a rail rifle hitting a guardsman sized target. You're a cloud of misted blood and bone shrapnel unless you want to burn a fate point."

I feel like that GM might not understand a lot of things. Hope the game got better.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're going to do that then you probably shouldn't have a weapon designed to oneshot Space Marines being fired at an individual in a guard company. Also, rolling for damage matters in a game where you're explicitly supposed to be able to not necessarily get oneshotted. If you think it's better for the game if people die instantly that's cool.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They're not important because they're not supposed to be important, I see. This makes them a really attractive choice to do anything with or write anything about.

You could do a really interesting Tau-centric campaign if you let the PCs be the various client races investigating the Empire and slowly realizing how enormous the giant that the Tau have been poking actually is. A Rogue Trader / Extremely Radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitor showing the breadth of the Imperium to xenos would allow for a horrifying roadtrip kind of game.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Age of SIgmar setting is completely incomprehensible, I would have no idea where to even start running an RPG for it.

You live on the back of a giant worm and these rear end in a top hat rats are trying to murder you. Roll initiative.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Schadenboner posted:

How do I get Marines to be on the AdMech's side? I know the Iron Hands and their descendants are big Cogheads but none of them seem like the "Let's garrison a world"-type chapters.

And I need them to be on the AdMech side because a theme I'm going for is the humanity vs. (augmented-/post-/trans-/non-)humanity thing, and where the AdMech (and Marines) are on that spectrum, especially w/r/t something like the Genestealer Cultists?

The SM hosed up and now the AdMech owns them body and soul. Virtual slaves, same as some of the Knight Houses. An entire chapter getting owned constantly by the AdMech over the centuries could easily lead to this.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mef989 posted:

Trying to get some ideas on how to run a mixed system campaign. I want to run an escalation league 40k event simultaneously with a wrath and glory campaign where the 40k events effect the whole world and the actions of the PCs effect the 40k events. Not sure how to make it work though. Has anyone ever tried this, or just have some good ideas in general on how to make it work?

Micro to macro. Your PCs are part of the fight to protect/deny a prometheum plant to the other guys. They succeed, you can keep fielding tanks on the tabletop. They blew it up, nobody gets vehicles. They really failed? The other side gets twice as many vehicles. Saving a planetary governor from political in-fighting and assassination.

Macro to micro. Your army got attacked at night by the other guys. Now an expendable bunch of PCs have to figure out how the other guys scouted you. Betrayal, cultists, idiocy?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mef989 posted:

It's only going to be one W&G campaign with some players participating in both games and others only in one. I originally wanted more of the special forces feel, but I can't figure out how to implement that fairly if a player picks a 40k army like nids. The more I think about it the more I feel it needs to be mostly a one way street where they 40k narrative effects the overall world more than the PCs affect the 40k narrative since I could foresee situations where certain xenos players are unfairly negativity affected by imperial players.

Just make the w&g stuff investigative and genuinely dangerous. Math it out once or twice so you get a TPK if the players aren't at the top of their game. Xenos infiltrators (the four-handed hero of the people for Genestealer Cults) should kill a PC or two guaranteed.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FFG made the best possible version of a 40k RPG already.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's heavily detabtable.

I liked the early version of Inquisitor that was just you're an Inquisitorial warband fighting something have fun. W&G was less fun than RT or OW, to me. I don't think percentile systems are bad.

What would a better version of 40k look like?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's hard to make a response to this that doesn't just run down the things FFG's version doesn't do.

Let's just say a mathematically sound, scaling progression system for characters that can support different power levels intelligently would be a good start (it shouldn't be possible to roll a character that can kill any conceivable RAW creature out of the box).

How would you do this? I don't see a starting character killing one of the Necron centipede monsters in combat.

quote:

A system to control the acquisition of character resources (money/weapons/items) would also be nice. Any system at all there, really.

Rogue Trader has one that works really well? Black Crusade and Only War have them as well.

quote:

When splatbooks get released, they aren't just filled with character options that are obscenely more powerful than the core rulebook material, but expected to exist alongside it.

There are a lot of trap options for characters and that sucks, yeah. I just let the PCs change stuff if it's not fun.

quote:

FFG tries for this bizarre Bad D&D-style simulationism and what you end up with is several hundred pages of a game that is rules-lite, because it's impossible for a human to run it as written. There are many good ideas, but nothing cohesive or simple.

I really feel like d100 +/- XX is a reasonable system. I've been running RT for a couple of years and haven't had to hack together too much. I agree about the legibility stuff, you should be able to read the books you paid for.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Why shouldn't Yorelax the Yodeller (Noise Marine) have a nearly unlimited supply of boring relatively mundane stuff? You're not playing a game about spreadsheets. If it doesn't have a name and legend associated with it then sure they can have it, but do they really want it?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rogue AI cherubim swarm.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Turns out Eldar are really touchy about jewelry. Anyway, I have a new ship.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Defrosted Squat determined to bring back their people through non-grimdark means.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Time travel with a battle group of Deathwatch Marines all armed with Tyranid killer bolts. Ordos Chronos will have an issue but gently caress 'em they only exist half of the time anyway.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you've got an Inquisitorial rosette and guts you're an Inquisitor. Sure, theoretically there's a list somewhere but you not being on it proves nothing but that the faithless traitor who doubted you is trying to stop you from doing the Emperor's work.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, whether a Planetary Governor listens to you is entirely down to how convenient it is for her and her dynasty. She probably won't kill you in public if you're waving a Roseatte around and shouting about Genestealers in the Underhive but try checking her for an extra arm and you'll have a bad day.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone actually know much about why W&G did nothing and went nowhere after the release? Was it Ulysses’ fault, GW’s, poor sales?

New RPGs even ones with established IP fail more often than they succeed.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

moths posted:

As someone who didn't buy in, WanG's aesthetic was extremely Tumblr wholesome.

Which is great for showing friends getting along at the table, but like - this is a game where ancient psychotic Necrons emerge from a charnel pocket dimension, their metal bodies clad in tattered corpses.

and it's your job, as the ruler of a lost dynasty, to convince the humans you're not all like that and you'd be a better ruler than this "Emperor"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It is absolutely true that percentile systems are the best way to do any kind of Warhammer.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Lone Badger posted:

The 'emperor' is apparently pretty corpselike. I reckon that if I find the right corpse to drape around myself I could just impersonate him.

Everyone goes along with it because the new Emperor is significantly less murderous than the old one. The skin-tithe happens once every century now, gotta like those odds.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SardonicTyrant posted:

So, the Rite of Pure Thought involves replacing the right half of your brain with a cogitator. What's stopping you from putting that right half into a metal body?

Nothing, really. The AdMech will kill you and the Mechanicus will probably kill you for different reasons but that has nothing to do with removing your brain.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Unnatural Fellowship as well. Depending on system it's a +4 to or double of your charisma bonus. That and some talents can lead to having 80 people at your disposal straight out of character creation with no overt psychic powers being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rogue Trader was pretty good I thought.