Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Planetary tithes paid entirely in pigeons.

goatface posted:

I thought Terra was meant to have a completely dead biosphere outside of the Imperial palace. Too many arcologies, not enough trees. Shipping them in for dramatic effect seems sensible though.
Yeah, it really was way less of a polluted shithole than I'd expected it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Remove The Planet Entirely, There Was Never A Planet Here, Citizen
Any claims to the contrary are nothing but xenos propaganda. Have you been listening or otherwise exposed to xenos propaganda? :commissar:

That might even be a decent premise for a DH game: an inquisitorial squad hunting down the last copy of some crappy little "20 Worlds in Segmentum Solar You Need to Make a Pilgrimage to Before You Die"-style pamphlet because it erroneously mentions a planet that does not and never did exist. There's nothing heretical about the pamphlet; it just mentions an unplanet, which is doubleplusungood actually is more than enough heresy to be getting on with if you think about it!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
What I mostly find strange is that the Warrior role can't buy Weapon Training any more easily than most other roles, which for an archetype that's pretty much supposed to be about using ALL the weapons seems kind of strange. Even if, yes, in practice the added XP cost may or may not matter all that much.

Well, and then there's the whole Ace thing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Levels of get-hosed duly measured and concocted by chem-savants in the Ordo's laboratoriums while chanting the Hymn of Blessed Admeasurement precisely 2.17 times a minute. :colbert:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Do you think the Imperium actually thinks about the names given to new Space Hulks, or is there just a department of the Administratum that throws darts at a wall of spooky words until they get a combination that makes sense?

"Okay, that time we got Antipathy... of the... Abyss. Sure, that'll work."
The Departmentum Insanus Librem has been a mainstay of the Imperium for millennia, you'll find. All those Titans and Space Hulks and whatnot aren't going to name themselves!

Unless they're semi-sentient, eternally wrathful machine entities, I suppose. But still.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tibbeh posted:

Does anyone have a good name for a planet thats solely filled with orphans? I need one for Reasons
Just remember to include a carnival strongman NPC.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The conspicuously absent single * is part of a sub-plot, right? Please tell me it's part of a sub-plot, preferably involving inquisitorial shenanigans.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Having never played Deathwatch (or any of the first edition 40k RPGs), I'm considering a Salamanders apothecary for a one-shot campaign involving a Tyranid invasion. Is there anything I should keep in mind? I've already discovered that the rules don't support learning Charm right away in my case, so I guess my dude won't get to be as chummy as I'd like with any ordinary humans he'll encounter. :sigh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
In DH 2E, how viable is a character who more or less smashes everything into submission via Devastating Assault? I'm making a Ministorum Hierophant who is essentially meant to be a warrior-priest, wielding a big hammer and being pretty chummy/inspiring when he's not crushing heretics into a thin paste, but I have next to no experience with the system and don't know how much emphasis ought to be placed on defence.

The character has none of the aptitudes needed for Dodge/Parry (All-Out Attack won't let him use them anyway) and his 3k XP budget is more or less accounted for, so he'd need to either count on armour/Toughness to soak up damage, or perhaps drop Devastating Assault and go for a more measured approach, I suppose? Measured is boring, especially in a setting where ridiculously oversized weapons are par for the course, but I don't want to come up with a character who's a liability or ineffective either.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Trouble is that my base Agility is an average 32 and I've got none of the relevant aptitudes, so buying up anything related to it is expensive as hell (500 XP for +5 Ag, 300 XP for Dodge +0). Base Toughness and Weapon Skill are about the same, but at least in the case of Toughness/Parry I've got one aptitude for each, which helps keep the costs down.

At that point I probably should consider forgoing Devastating Assault and putting the XP in an Evasion skill, of course.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Werix posted:

If it is a one shot, then double down on the gimmick melee character, not like you need to worry about longevity.
It's a PbP game, so I probably shouldn't worry about longevity in any case. :v:

I'm really not going for a glass cannon per se; I just imagine the character to be someone who soaks up damage through sheer durability (armour/Toughness, high Wounds, etc.) while laying the smack down at close range with a big ol' warhammer. Which I suppose does make for a suboptimal build all things considered, but as the Imperial dictum goes: prayer cleanses the soul, pain cleanses the body.

Skellybones posted:

taking critical injuries just means getting cybernetics faster.
This too. :black101:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

goatface posted:

Shameful lack of basic astronomy by everyone involved.
They really should call it the Astronomican't.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yo what are the rules for moving while Prone?

Dh2 has nothing in the rulebook; i am thinking just applying High Gravity rules, i.e. reducing AB by 2 to a minimum of 1

Errata posted:

Question: What kind of movement (page 245) penalties or benefits should be applied to a character who wishes to stay on the ground but also carefully move forward, such as when advancing slowly under heavy fire?

Answer: Apply the Crawler trait and Prone condition to the character while he is moving in this manner.
I'd just go with this as an all-purpose rule for moving while prone, probably.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Let's hope it'll be less complicated than the Dark Eye system Ulisses also publish. I haven't looked at its latest edition admittedly, but I own the 4th edition core rules and that poo poo just makes me go cross-eyed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I don’t particularly dislike what I’ve read about Wrath & Glory so far, but man they could’ve hardly picked a more forgettable name for the system.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MonsterEnvy posted:

The guardsman appears to have an 8 for his skill with his gun.
Well, some points in whatever the base attribute for shooting things is in this edition (I doubt they'll retain the Ballistic Skill/Weapon Skill characteristics from the FFG system, but who knows), and some points in the actual shooting skill. Unless attacks work completely differently from skill checks.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
W&G is coming out in August, with a quickstart kit supposedly to be made available on Free RPG Day in June. Even so I don't know if it's going to allow for full-fledged Astartes to be played alongside lesser characters.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah, you're right. Source, if anybody else is curious.

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in practice, then. Seems like it'd be a balancing nightmare.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PantsOptional posted:

getting thrown out of the supermarket and owing big bucks to Harmon Kardon for a set of car speakers when they don't even have a car
Although it was Rockford Fosgate in this particular case.

On an unrelated note, I've been vaguely considering running a Deathwatch game. Is there anything I should particularly watch out for? I'm already aware that the Smite psychic power can be a problem, and that I should use what little errata there are.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Sounds pretty cool all around, although I don't think I agree with the notion that going mapless in 5E is a good idea. W&G might shake out differently in mechanical terms, of course.

I wonder what the fourth core race will be. Tau maybe? Off the top of my head I can't really think of any other races that are notable enough to warrant inclusion in the core book and are at least somewhat suited to existing in a party alongside humans and whatnot.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pharmaskittle posted:

I mean you might not consider space marines "human" if you're thinking races and not factions.
Arguably not, but as playable Astartes have been very explicitly confirmed I'm not sure why they wouldn't just be revealed as the fourth race if it's indeed them.

Scrunts would be hilarious though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PantsOptional posted:

Races: The 4th race was confirmed to be Space Marine, bringing us up to Ork, Eldar, Human, and Space Marine.
Well, boo to that. :mad:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
While I don't have a strong opinion on the new artwork either way, it does look rather clean and generic compared to most of the Dark Heresy art in particular. Leave it to the Internet to blow it all way out of proportion, of course. :shrug:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

susan posted:

We're talking Rogue Traders.
Not only, though. As far as I'm aware, (some) people have been Mad about the W&G art pretty much since the first picture was posted.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I want to say I read at some point that knowing/not knowing things pretty much comes down to which keywords the character possesses, but don't quote me on that.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

(Dark Tides is "an anthology containing five linked adventures".)

Oh yeah, pre-order bundles.

quote:

Player Bundle – $100
  • Core Rules(Hardcover/Deluxe/Limited)
  • Talents and Psychic Powers Card Pack
  • Gear Card Pack
  • 5 Dice (4 black, 1 red)
All-In Bundle – $275
  • Core Rulebook (Hardcover/Deluxe/Limited)
  • Dark Tides
  • GM Screen
  • Wrath Deck
  • Campaign Card Deck
  • Perils of the Warp Card Deck
  • Combat Complications Card Deck
  • Talents and Psychic Powers Card Pack
  • Gear Card Pack
  • Wrath & Glory Digital Soundtrack
  • 3 Double-Sided Battle Maps (1 large, 2 medium)
  • Beginner’s Rulebook and a new Starter Adventure (separate from Blessings Unheralded)
  • 6 Pre-Generated Characters on Deluxe Character Sheets
  • Acrylic Tokens for Characters, Enemies, and NPCs
  • 10 Dice (9 black, 1 red)
  • Exclusive Collectors Box

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 25, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Well, that certainly is…yeah. :geno:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Werix posted:

2. I've always played that you can take starting talents even if you don't meet the prerequisites, but taking a quick look at the rules this morning I can't find anything that specifically says that, so check with your GM on his or her ruling I guess.
Page 61. "Note that the character does not need to meet the normal prerequisites for talents granted during this stage of character creation."

Clanpot Shake posted:

Am I a grognard for just wanting Dark Heresy-style Inquisition shenanigans in W&G's system? I don't need ork/marine/space elf buddy cop silliness in my game I just want to investigate cult horrorshows until the abyss stares back.
I haven't played W&G or even looked at the rules yet, but yeah, that lack of focus is something I'm at best ambivalent towards.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 5, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tunicate posted:

Crossposting from the procedural generation thread, this is an attempt by the newest state-of-the-art AI to try to write a warhammer 40k wiki article.
Abominable Intelligence indeed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Indeed. Indeed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The OP of the Book Barn BL thread has a list of which HH books are worth/required reading and which ones can be skipped.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I dare you to read Battle for the Abyss and say that again.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I may be playing in a Black Crusade game soon. Is it viable to make a heretek who is decent at combat? I know that if any CSMs end up in the party they will almost invariably end up outshining me, but I'd like for her to be able to hold her own at least. Melee would be preferable because it's objectively more badass compared to just shooting things like some plebeian.

I don't know yet where the GM stands on issues like "any two Good Craftsmanship cybernetics" ignoring availability (personally I'd consider a Servo-Arm to be a bit too far in the realm of cheese), or letting me grab four Mechanicus Assimilations as one of my freebie acquisitions.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Thus proving yet again that righteous flame is the most blessed means of purging mankind’s innumerate foes. :black101:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

EverettLO posted:

they dropped the terrible spaceship rules
Which has the amusing ramification of the revised Rogue Trader archetype starting with an Imperial frigate as part of their wargear, but as for what it actually does? :iiam:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

goatface posted:

Kiss some absolutely terrified babies.
Babies who show no fear are immediately claimed by the Chapter for future initiation, as prescribed by the Codex Astartes.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Oh drat, determining whom the party works for and what they can bring to the table in terms of their influence and resources is a whole thing now. It looks pretty enticing, honestly, but I only do play-by-post and therefore am a stranger to campaigns that do not die in a matter of months at best. :sigh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dawgstar posted:

Could have used another pass or two on proofreading. Like in the Duty section, some of the pre-mades have advances and/or gear which their faction doesn't give them.
It's kinda bad, really. The character goals section refers to a non-existent table, recoil gloves are listed in the clothing/personal gear table but lack any kind of actual description… and then there are comparatively trivial but numerous things like fully two of the roles having their own names misspelt, more than once, in their respective descriptions. Or how about one sentence in the section outlining the character sheet reading, literally, "Having completely filled your Wounds will lead youb." ?

Also, at this point I am convinced that no 40k RPG is ever going to get the auger/augur thing right. :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
W&G was originally developed by Ulisses North America. They are a subsidiary of German publisher Ulisses Spiele, best known for the fairly crunchy fantasy tabletop RPG The Dark Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Elukka posted:

I wonder if they'll address the question of what exactly it is that Eldar corsairs steal if you're going to be playing as them
"We just always felt we were stealing something from the mon-keigh. Their privacy, their dignity…" – Bobiel Mor Thimerr on the Corsairs' favoured pastime, Theft and Void-shrubbery