Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Hey SJ, this is another good podcast for the OP:

http://www.theprimegeneration.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

lilljonas posted:

I checked with my local shop, and it seems that Skorne Agonizers are simply all out of stock at PP and he guessed it could take up to half a year to get them in stock. So now I'm off to hunt for a proxy for a small tormented pachyderm. Any tips?

Privateer has been a bit of a victim of their own success recently. Your best bet is probably Ebay or Bartertown

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Raiche posted:

I just got paid back for a paycheck that work says they forgot last year. I have no idea what they're talking about, but I have money now that says "Buy Rangers and Hunters, Raiche. Do it!" and now I am scared to go to my game store to play tomorrow.

So what I'm saying is, what's a solid way to grow a Kraye list if you have a Battlebox, a Journeyman and Kraye?

Pretty much all theorymachine here, but I think if you turn that BBox heavy into a cyclone, use the charger and add a hunter or hammersmith and field junior with a unit of merc infantry (if you already have them) you'd be well on your way. Adding a squire would probably be a good idea too.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

jhunter46 posted:

I managed to pick up an issue of NQ #14, 15 and 16 and I'm going to be sending away for the alt Eiryss soon. I'd like to get eEiryss and put the sculpt on her base but it looks like it might be connected to the model. For anyone that has it, does it look like a simple dremel job to cut her off and sand the base down smooth?

That would be difficult because her cloak hangs way down the pedestal in the back. If you chop her off it you will end up with one half of the base covered in cloak. You can sort of see it if you look at the pic in the bits store, though it doesn't actually show the back.

Here's a pic of converted eEiyriss that shows it:

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Finished a WW Stalker for my wife's Circle force:

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Awesome. How did you do that finish on the sword?

The base is Gnarls Green and the tip is VMA Silver. Everything in between is a wet blend of the two. I use Liquitex slow-dri for the blending.

Fyrbrand posted:

This is pretty sweet dude.

crime fighting hog posted:

What up paints circle stuff for their wife buddy. Nice job!

Thx!

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

Anyone have any thoughts or criticisms on this list?

Captain Daimano
Nomad
Rocinate
Full unit of Horgenhold Forgehold
Full unit of Steelhead Halbardiers
Full unit of Steelhead Rifleman
Mininum unit of Steelhead Cavalry
Stannis Brocker
Ragman
Lady Aiyana and Master Holt
Rhupert Carvolo

I second dropping the Nomad. Damiano doesn't have the focus to run two 'jacks. He barely has enough to run one IMO. I think Brocker makes a good Sure Foot target because he can run around in the middle of all those steelheads and not get bogged down.

The forgeguard don't have any real synergy with Damiano, though they are really solid on their own. They might make a good Death March target, but then your whole army is going to be stuck behind their slow asses.

I've found Rorsh and Brine work well with Damiano because they don't need his focus and his feat helps mitigate Brine's pillowfistedness. If you're running them under the Highborn contract, they both basically get AD.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

stabbington posted:

Airbrush stuff

What'd you use to dilute the PP paints in order to run them on your airbrush?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

So I've managed to suck my wife into Warmahordes by showing her the Circle Orboros stuff (she likes wolves) and the nature/druid-y fluff. I've taught her how to play starting very small and working up. She likes battlebox scale games, but tends to lose the ability to keep it all organized in her head when the games get bigger than that. It doesn't help that Circle's playstyle is finesse and usually involves complex order of operations shenanigans. A great many of the units (shifting stones, druids, etc.) and several of the beasts (warpwolves and woldwardens) have a list of different things they can do on their cards, rather than just doing one thing well.

So my question is: Is there such thing as a Circle list at 25 or 35 points that is very straight-forward to play and not terrible?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

S.J. posted:

Does she like constructs?

Yes, though not as much as the warp wolves. We have a wold warden and sold guardian.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm really looking forward to painting and playing with Alexia's variations. Also a Freebooter with a group like the Devil Dogs or Rutger Shaw looks like a lot of fun. The Devil Dogs look especially fun to paint and I hoping to match my Buccaneer and Freebooter with them.

Sam and the Devil Dogs are sweet but I cannot in good conscience recommend Rutger Shaw.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Well, he has Taryn, which is the way to use him if you are going to. I haven't had anyone say he is really worthwhile, but the pair with an efficient jack is like a tiny battlegroup. Maybe give him a Talon or something? Vanguard?

But then you'd be stuck with a Talon in your list.

Vanguard is sweet though.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

The Aberrant posted:

I hope this means that we'll see pictures of the other 3 Casters soon.

What about Ret and Mercs?

Surely Magnus is about to go double epic given the fluff in Wrath.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Raiche posted:

First disclaimer: Mercs not so good to start out with. They lack the ability to adjust to most other armies, even outside tournaments. Once your friends figure out what you're doing, you lose to solid Factions a lot.

MacBain is really about Broadsides. You want to have some things that can shoot. A couple of them, if possible. All in his battlegroup... meaning marshalled to him. Rarely will you want to use only the free-jack points on a caster. There are some notable exceptions, but mostly you want to use up more than just the freebies.

The ATGM are a rare exception to wanting to jack-marshal versus putting them on your warcaster. That said, the Vanguard's gun is.. iffy. That combination is pretty good, because the Vanguard will be defending your Gun Mage Officer from ranged attacks... but he won't benefit a lot from the group. A Mule is a really common option there.

Steelheads are almost always a disappointment.

Forgeguard are awesome, yay Dorfs!

Aaaand... I know nothing about Dorfs outside of Forgeguard, or Trolls.

Don't listen to him. Mercs are :black101:

Also, you're thinking of Broadsides Bart. MacBain is a combined arms caster and his feat protects warrior models.

Steelheads are almost always awesome (for their points) and almost always die in droves.

Forgeguard are indeed dead hard and have decent synergy with MacBain.

Pilgrimski posted:

The first one is a Merc contract:

Faction: Highborn Covenant
Drake MacBain (*6pts)
* Nomad (6pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Vanguard (5pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Steelhead Riflemen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Thor Steinhammer (2pts)
* Grundback Gunner (3pts)

Vanguard on the ATGM is good, but yes the Mule is better, though MacBain would prefer to have the 'jacks in his battlegroup so they can benefit from Energizer and Jack Hammer. I recommend a marshalled Buccaneer in this case since it doesn't need more than one boost per turn, and with Snipe and Assault it can knock things down from a long ways away and shoot into melee to boot. Then I would use two Nomads or better yet a Nomad and a Manger on MacBain. Or if you want the Vanguard, put it on MacBain with the Nomad. Failsafe or Fortune on either a Nomad, Mangler or Vanguard is quite solid.

I think the Gun Mages + Steelhead Rifles is redundant. I would pick one and spend the points from the other on melee troops or 'jacks. Most people playing Highborn go for the Gun Mages, but the Steelhead Rifles are viable too (with Fortune), though really only at their best with Captain Damiano.

Kayazi are also super sweet with MacBain with Countermeasure on them, but can't be run in Highborn. Boomhowlers make a good Countermeasure target too.

The only thing I personally think your list is really missing is solos. MacBain loves to run a handful of useful merc solos and/or character units because he can keep them alive with his feat. Depending on what contract you're running him in, Eiyriss, Alexia, Orin Midwinter, Gorman di Wulfe, Lanyssa Ryssal and Ragman are all potentially good options. Thor with a gunbunny is not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's worth the points at 35.

Keeping the same contract, and as many of the models you have listed as possible, I would recommend this:

MacBain
*Nomad
*Vanguard

ATGM + UA
*Buccaneer
10 Horgenhold Forgeguard
6 Greygore Boomhowler and Co
eEiyriss Angel of the Retribution
Gorman di Wulfe

Alternately, you could drop the Buccaneer to bring the Boomhowlers up to a full 10 man unit. Boomhowlers will work for trolls as well, though I'm not sure they're better than some of the other trolls troops choices. They would allow you to use the models in both Mercs and Trollkin armies though. Nyss Hunters can do the same.

If you switch it to 4Star, you can run Kayazi Assassins which are sweet with MacBain and just all around good, but then you can't run Gun Mages.

Here's a link to a good write up re: MacBain - http://losthemisphere.com/blog/?p=18819 (Yes even though it's from LH it is strategically accurate.)

Acceptableloss fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 16, 2012

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Chicken Slayer posted:

I can see the logic behind this, but at the end of the day Sea Dogs have two attacks apiece and more threat that Press Gangers, which function more as a tar pit since Rockbottom doesn't need to coin them up to give them tough. Since Privateers are basically on a death clock (the longer the game goes, the more they lose access to their buffs either through losing models or through Rockbottom running out of moneys), getting even more threat out of your units to guarrentee an Alpha Strike is pretty important. The fact that they also combo better with Rockbottom than Press Gangers (Payday gives them boosted attack rolls and Overtake, which is nice because they can then move up and use their guns after chopping someone up. Also, you can make the unit bigger so more models benefit from Payday) is a nice bonus.

Also, they have guns, high speed, advanced deployment and pathfinder when they need it. This might seem like much but can use these abilities to splash them into other factions, especially Cryx. Try splashing in the Crew with P Denny and see what happens.

Anyway, Sea Dogs aside, I'm going to pull a little bit of a turd polisher argument here, but there are few units in Warmahordes that are truly useless due to the way the synergy in the game works. Hell, Vengers are pretty amazing with Testament of Menoth, since it's like a rolling circus of cavalry models with incorporial charging through all of your poo poo, getting resurrected every turn by Testament as he collects their souls and being used to power up that Dragoon guy so that he can lay the smack down the next turn. I think that PP does a fairly good job in general of balancing out their models over time, since all it usually takes is a change or two to make a unit competitive and they're fairly good at avoiding hard Errata. After all, remember when Winter Guard were bad? Time will tell though, since currently they seem to be focusing on making giant robots instead of releasing UA's or support pieces.

Agreed. A full unit of sea dogs + Hawk and Mr Walls is a very solid unit capable doing quite a bit of damage and makes an excellent tarpit. They work well with a number of different casters -- basically any caster that doesn't really their troops, because they function just fine on their own.

There are few units in the game that aren't good in some situation, though there are plenty, like Trenchers, Reeves of Orboros and Arcuarii that are just never worth their points.

Ashcans posted:

This reminded me that I can actually just search the store for 'head' and get all my options! Currently I think the frontrunners are:

Grenadier (Light jack but it has a big head - it looks different but it's kind of neat)

I think you should use this one. A word of warning: the Centurion head is quite small, as small as the plastic heads that come with that kit.

Acceptableloss fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 23, 2012

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

So I just played against eGaspy for the first time tonight. I gave him to my friend who is a Cryx player for his birthday. We played a 35 pt game and he used Bane Thralls + Tartarus and Trollkin + Gerlak along with Withershadow and like two 'jacks.

I got to see some of the heinous stuff that eGaspy can do, but I think it could be worse. We didn't notice until after the game that Bile Thralls purge is a *attack so they could be brought back with his feat and then purge all over everything, so they seem like they should be a no brainer to include with eGaspy.

What is the "standard" eGaspy tourney list? I would think full Banes + full Mechthralls + min Bile Thralls + Tartarus. What else?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Got some more lights for my lightbox and got a better shot of my newly painted Kromac:

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Well, PV called it a while ago: The Ghetorix conversions are rolling out. Here's a couple from the PP boards that have promise:

I might have to steal that one based on the Pureblood, though I think I would use the pureblood's head and add on his headgear because Ghetorix's is clearly too small for the model.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Arlaharen posted:

This a million times. Charging with your Stormclad is a trap unless you're going for the assassination or taking out a major key piece. Full tilt, advance 3" or so, electroleap all over the place and then back up 7". Should be out of charge range of most infantry. Protect your precious beatstick. That poo poo's so cash.

I was thinking Ride-by Attack had to be in a straight line. Is that not the case?

Ashcans posted:

I was reading through Wrath and the Mercs book, and I just wanted to make sure I have something correct. Steelhead Rifleman can CRA (and get a neat little reroll if they miss, thanks to Combined Arms). So if you take a full squad and pair them up, that gives you 5 RAT7 POW13 shots, right? (they are normally RAT5, POW11).

Now, Damiano can give them Money Shot, which is +2 to all ranged attack and damage rolls. That stacks, right? So for that turn you could deliver 5 RAT9, POW15 CRAs? Or, if you are feeling ballsy, a single RAT17, POW23 shot?

Yep. Steelhead Rifles are money with Damiano. I've not bought them because I think Gun Mages are the better ranged option for most other Highborn/mercs lists, though some people really like them with pMags since they are more mobile than Long Gunners.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Arlaharen posted:

It's a normal advance which you can interrupt with your combat action. After you're done fighting you resume your movement and go wherever. Great way of punishing somebody who wants to trade beatsticks with a countercharge or ran to engage in order to tie you down.

So counter-charge doesn't trigger until the end of the movement after the combat action.... That's a clever way around counter-charge. I'll to remember that with my cav.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Willeh posted:

Nice model, but if it keeps going like this, Vlad4 will have no peripheral vision whatsoever.

Lol. Look at the 360 rotation on the PP site. From the side you cannot see his head at all.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Our store league movies up to 25pts this week, so these are a couple lists I am working with. They are based on what I have painted (because if I don't pick up the points for playing all-painted there is no way I'm every placing in this thing).

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Mule (8pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs (Sam and 9 Grunts) (7pts)
* Buccaneer (3pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

Or

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)

I'm leaning toward the first list, because I want the beating power of two heavies. The ATGM are great with Ashlynn's feat, but if I run into a list that is loaded with heavy stuff they just can't do anything. While I'm at the store I'll be picking up Damiano, and then get him painted for the next set of 25pt games. :toot:

I think both of those lists are decent, though I would personally lean towards the first one. (Gun Mages w/out the UA don't bring a huge amount to the table IMO.) You could even swap the Mule and Buccaneer since Pronto lets the Mule move and still get the aiming bonus, and he doesn't need to be in Ashlynn's battlegroup to get the benefit of Roulette. It would just be a question of whether or not you think you can keep Sam safe enough to risk marshaling an 8pt jack on her.

Stacking Quicken and +1 Def from the Piper on the Devil Dogs should be good too.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

I kept the Buccaneer on Sam because I tend to ram the Devil Dogs down my enemy's throat, which means that both them and their jack are not long for the world. Poor bastards.

Righteous.

Ashcans posted:

I don't think this is a problem with Ashlynn - she has solid defensive stats, and she is a pretty mean fighter, but I seem to overextend her when it gets down to the wire and fail to come up with a kill. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what I'm really doing wrong.

Her defensive stats are decent, though her armor and hit boxes leave a little to be desired. If she gets knocked down she's hosed though.

Towards the endgame, unless Ashlynn is so far from the enemy that assassination is not really a concern, I think she should always have either Admonition or Quicken on her at all times -- Admonition in most cases, or Quicken if your opponent clearly favors a ranged or magic vector that does not require they get into melee.

I think Rocinante is really good with her for the +2 Def so long as she's near him. Def 19 is really hard to hit, and every time your opponent misses in melee, Ashlynn gets a Riposte attack if she can reach them. I frequently forget Riposte, but it's a really solid defensive ability given how dead hard she is in melee.

LintMan posted:

Not having a large choice of good cominations I was left with 4pts. Trolls only have 1 beast worth 4pts and that is the Swamp Troll.

Grim however needs a certain type of high class troll in his posse. So not just any troll from the bogs and swamps will do.

He chose this dapper gentleman:

That is baller as hell.

Ashcans posted:

The problem might be that I am just a bad player.

Don't sweat it. This game has a decently steep learning curve, particularly with mercs.

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow nice looking stuff there. I particularly like the green stuff on the Egregore. It really looks like it's floating.

What are the bases made out of? Did you cut them yourself?

Ashcans posted:

What do you guys think about Steelhead Heavy Cavalry without the other Steelheads? I understand that with Halberdiers they become really good (due to Flank) but they seem pretty solid on their own - Assault, Backswing, a decent statline. Having just bought Damiano I am planning to buy all the Steelheads eventually, but I was considering starting with the Cavalry - I already have Devil Dogs (who serve a similar tarpit/frontline roll to Halberdiers) and Gun Mages (who work as ranged support in place of Riflemen). Plus they can benefit from both of Damiano's coin abilities (and giving them Pow 14 guns to use on Assault seems pretty great)

I personally don't think they're worth it without the Halberdiers. Flank is what really makes them work. I like full Halberdiers plus min Cav as a nice 12pt module because you just have to get one halberdier into melee with an opponent's heavy to give the Cav the edge they need to wreck it. Without the bonus damage from Flank, they have trouble sealing the deal on a hard target.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Finally took some pictures of my Rocinante variant. I lost his stupid head and ended up putting a grenadiers head on him. Then I found his real head in my bag. Whatever, I like the grenadier!

And here he is with his boss:

Nice. I like that Grenadier head on him.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Goons, can I get a recommendation on this Mercs list?

--Warcaster--
pMagnus

--Warjacks--
2x Renegade
1x Talon
1x Mangler

--Infantry--
1x Max Steelhead Halberdiers
1x Min. Cutthroats

--Solo--
1x Kell Baloch

I'm not positive that's 35 points- I don't have my book on me, but I'm pretty sure :v:

I would personally drop the Talon and Kell Baloch. I think both have trouble earning their points. If you want four warjacks you could try to squeeze a Vanguard in there instead.

Another thing to think about is that pMags CMD is only 7, so he benefits from having another leader around like Alexia or Stannis Brocker (or even Rockbottom) to help keep his infantry from running away.

Raiche posted:

I don't play pMagnus, but I play against him pretty often. It depends on what you're trying to do with that list, who you're facing, that sort of thing, but...

Halberdiers are terrible alone. Paired with Steelhead Cavalry, much better.
Cutthroats are usually disappointing, unless you're running Scaverous. I would say 'outright awful' but that is perhaps too harsh. See if there's a ranged option from whatever contract you're running? Maybe ATGM.

ATGM only work for Highborn and Magnus doesn't work for Highborn. Nyss Hunters are probably the strongest ranged option in 4star and they can utilize either Snipe or Blur from Magnus pretty well.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

So I banged out these guys over the last couple days for my wife's Circle army. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out, though I'm afraid her army is going to look better than mine since it is more recently painted. Oh well.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

This weekend our league moves up to 35pts. I have been trying to work out what to bring to the fight. This is what I am working with at the moment:

30/35
Captain Damiano (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

So the question is what to use for the last 5pts. My options are basically a Vangurd, Min Devil Dogs, or Alexia & the Risen.

If I take the Vanguard, it would be to plonk it down in the middle of the Halberdiers with Surefoot on, making them Def15, Tough, and immune to Knockdown. I am pretty sure this will piss off pretty much everyone. If I take Alexia, I would basically do the same thing (although I'll be able to cover fewer people with Surefoot) and basically just soak up corpses to swamp the battle line and throw out Thralls to gently caress with my opponent.

So what's the way to go? The increased speedbump/staying power from the Vanguard, or the additional bodies and tricks from Alexia? I love the Vanguard, but I also love dropping a new Risen in behind my opponent's rank and file, transforming it into a Thrall, and charging a solo/caster/etc. Plus, Arcane Disjunction.

I would drop Reinholt and add steelhead cav. Or if you don't have them / want to buy them, run pAlexia + risen as a second wave.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

So I finally received my order of custom cut trays from Battlefoam, so I thought I'd post a little review for anyone that's interested. These three trays were cut to fit my existing Sabol Army Transport cases. (They'll cut custom trays to fit just about anyone's cases.)

The Good:

You can cram an amazing amount of minis into a well layed-out custom cut tray. The tray with my steelhead halberdiers will now hold 20x halberdiers, a light jack, and 3-4 other models. When these same models were in a pluck foam tray, I could only hold 10x halberdiers and two warjacks in the same sized tray.

Good fit. Relatively fragile models like the Tharn Wolf Riders and oddly shaped models like beast form Kromac are well protected and have a snug fit.

Price. $14 a tray, plus shipping. Not too bad for what you get I think.

The Bad:

You need to know ahead of time what models you want to fit into a tray in order to lay it out correctly. Once you receive the tray, they can't really be modified if you get a new model that you don't have a slot for. Also, if you botch up the shape of the slot, you sort of shoot yourself in the foot. Example: The slots for the halberdiers should have been a bit longer to have enough room for their weapons. I kind of have to put them in diagonally because I didn't make the slot quite long enough.

The foam is not as soft as it could be. It's basically the same stuff from the Sabol pluck trays.

Also, here's a shot of some of my new terrain from a game last night. Two hills with a removable bridge in between.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

I have actually posted a couple of the lists and brief summaries in the thread before, if you want to glance at my history. The Ashlynn list I was using at 25pts was this:

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Mule (8pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Buccaneer (3pts)

and at 35pts I have been using this Damiano list:

Captain Damiano (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen (Alexia and 9 Risen Grunts) (5pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

I tend to stick with a list for several games, because I feel like constantly switching stuff in and out just makes it more confusing and harder to work with. Obviously if somethins seems just terrible I will cut it, but I try to give it a couple games, especially with new stuff.

I think that I am ok on the rules at this point, but I am definitely struggling to stay on top of everything my opponents can do. A lot of the guys at the store have big collections and multiple factions, so I am regularly running into new stuff. Thinking about it, the only casters I have played against more than once are Nemo and Vlad.

I doubt that there is any counterbuilding going on - most of the guys are pretty cool and they know that I am a newer player and aren't looking to crush me. More than once people have actually switched to their lesser used faction or to a new list they want to try rather than play their top list against me. I can try and keep better notes/pictures the next time I play, though.

Edit: I have usually been playing at 25pts, occassionally at 35pts. The last three games were all 35pts, as part of our escalation league. We have a 50pt tournament coming up that I was planning to play in but have been rethinking.

It took me about a year of getting stomped before I started to win with any sort of consistency with my mercs. Mercs is an uphill battle for sure, though you can certainly win with them. You will just get punished harder for your mistakes in a game.

I will concur that your lists look like they lack hitting power. You've got the tar pit covered, but don't have an alpha unit and/or support pieces that will let you wreck a heavy in a single turn.

Steelhead Cav (w/ halberdiers) and Horgenhold Forgeguard are probably the hardest hitting merc units. The addition of Aiyana and Holt and/or Gorman and/or Ragman (who is a bit harder to use) will all help with your hitting power.

Also, Damiano and Ashlynn both have feats that need to be timed well. Both of their feats want to be used when you charge your opponent and then help you weather the counter attack. Pay close attention to how you are using their feats to make sure you're getting as much mileage as possible out of them.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

from the MoM twitter feed:

Galleon
Point Cost 18
Def 9 Arm 19

Main Gun: Harpoon Rng 10 Pow 14 w/ Drag
2x Secondary Guns: Rng 14, Pow 13, AoE 3 w/ Rapid Fire

2 Melee Weapons, Pow 22 and 18

Confirmed that mercs are just getting Ossrum, Galleon and eAlexia in the book, but there is apparently an Ashlynn resculpt.

Each other faction gets two casters and a colossal.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Gay Polymers posted:

1 caster, not 2

I stand corrected, and am no longer as jealous of the real factions.

So there's what...12 new releases + eAlexia in this book?

stabbington posted:

Looks like buying Ashlynn is no longer a terrible idea.

Nice looking model. I wish we could have had an epic version of her to go along with it.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

More spoilers courtesy of Hendybadger's blog and Lost Hemisphere
:

Skorne Mammoth

New Bog Trog warlock incoming, named Rask

Bonegrinder Farrow Warlock is named Midas

“Swamp Shamblers” – Bog Trog zombies

Lylyth3 will be an Epic Cavalry Battle Engine Warlock on a 120mm base – an Ulk-drawn bladed sleigh

The Hunters Grim – Warlock Unit, Grim Angus w/ 2 pygs

Makeda3 will be a warlock unit, Makeda with two Exalted Guardians

New Retribution unit will be infantry with ‘razorblades’; Eiryss3 will be their UA

Greylord Outriders – Khadoran light cavalry

Iron Fang Kovnik armed with an axe – precursor to an IF unit with axes?

Tempest Blazers – Gunmage light cavalry

Bane Riders – Bane Knight heavy cavalry

Intimated that there were light cavalry on the way for Protectorate and Mercenaries

Plastic Tharn kit – large bows made of stag horns, likely same kit will be used to make plastic Ravagers

Hordes: Gargantuans will be a “catching up” book, returning to multiple releases per book; expected Spring 2013 release

All Gargantuans and Colossals are planned to be released during 2012

Skorne Mammoth = ENORMOUS Titan

LEVEL 7
Tile exploration board game
5-6 minute short film coming out next week
Level 7 demos will be run during Lock & Load

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Holy poo poo that is cool. I guess he'll be making some whelps.

On a tangentially related note: What is the best possible 15pt Borka list? I'm trying to make one for a friends who's interested in starting a small trollbloods force.

I came up with this:

Borka
Mauler
Axer
Min Fennblades

I figure those are pretty all models that will get some mileage with other casters as well. I'm thinking the plastic Mauler kit could be magnetized to be a Bomber as well. Any better options out there? I don't know a lot about trolls.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Holy poo poo, Galleon!

The legs look a little dorky, but probably workable. Dude looks baller, gonna wreck all these faction colossals with my wicked trident!

That is the best looking colossal so far. The Menoth one is the only one I haven't actually seen, but I like this much better than either the Stormwall or Conquest.

Oh well, there goes that $100.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Wait, wait, we can play this game too!

Captain Bartolo Montador (*5)
* Galleon (18)
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile (2)

Sidenote: I think that Galleon is the only Colossal that can use all his weapons in a single round. You open up with your cannons, then fire the harpoon, drag, melee, and start buying additional attacks. You could do a pretty stupid amount of damage that way.

That had actually not occurred to me. It's almost as if our colossal has virtuoso if you assume you can hit with the harpoon ranged attack.

Would it be legal to drag something with the harpoon and then power attack throw it in one activation? That's a lot of moving an opponent's heavy.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Sounds like it's time for me to buy a Galleon and run it at every points level. No pillow fist now, bitches!

Yeah they really blew that POW 17 cap for mercs out of the water with the Galleon. I'll be really interested to see how the Galleon holds up in the tourney scene in the coming months. It seems pretty good to me, but so do a bunch of other things in this game.

Also, in response to your questions about Circle from like 3 pages ago, I picked up Legion as my Hordes faction partly because I was tired of the pillow-fistedness of mercs and wanted a faction that could alpha well without 6 points of support solos. My wife has a Circle army as well, and I think they are a lot of fun to play given all of their movement and control shenanigans, but they do suffer from the same pillow-fisty issue that mercs do. (With a few notable exceptions like eKaya + Feral or Ghetorix with anybody.) So yeah...if that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Ashcans posted:

How's this for a Mags list?

Magnus the Traitor (*6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)

The only other option I can think of is to swap the Mangler and Nomad for Rocinante and a Vanguard, but I feel like that's a more defensive setup and I need to come at this as aggressively as I can. Iron Aggression goes on the Mangler, Tempered Metal goes on the Nomad, cycle Snipe across the Renegades. Blur on Magnus for whatever that's worth.

Are tier lists legal for a mangled metal format? If so you can get those Renegades for 5pts instead of 6.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

My GenCon ninja shopper got on line at the PP booth 6 minutes after they opened the dealer hall and stood on line for 90 minutes, but the IKRPG was sold out before he could buy it.

I guess there's going to be plenty of demand for their product.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

stabbington posted:

Picking up a couple of plastic heavy kits and magnetizing them into (at least) Scytheans + Ravagores would massively open up your options in terms of lists. A Shepherd or two wouldn't be a bad idea, if I'm running a lot of beasts, I like to have at least two fury management pieces.

Seconding this part for sure. Having two magnetized heavy kits that you could swap between Ravagores and other heavies would be really useful the flexibility of list construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Manifest posted:

Someone posted a photo of the judicator they were building at Gencon.
Looks alright I guess. I'm not really into the menoth aesthetic though.

Wow. I think that might be my favorite one so far.

Still holding out hope for the Galleon though. The 3D images I've seen look sweet.

• Locked thread