Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Steve Yun posted:

If you don't do it in the next week, I will

I guess I should clean mine up then. Just make the thread tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

dino. posted:

Should someone who is not me make a "post your kitchen" thread so all of us are motivated to clean, and post our kitchens?

Alright I cleaned my kitchen and took pictures.

Balls in your court now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tendales posted:

They're goofy and dumb, but god I love scotch eggs.

Definitely the best meatball.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

therattle posted:

And when you cut it it explodes like an anti-personnel mine?

Sounds delicious.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pollyanna posted:

Completely and utterly hosed up sandefjordsmør. It's supposed to be a light, velvety butter sauce and it somehow turned into something that resembled melted cheese. :gonk: I don't understand, I followed the instructions and everything, even stirred the butter in slowly. I'm just gonna avoid butter sauces from now on.

I decided to saute some scallions instead and it turns out that sauteed scallions have a slimy texture. I've given up and am roasting some vegetables now.

How does a lemon juice, cream and butter sauce get thick like melted cheese? Did you add flour or something?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pollyanna posted:

Not so much thick as it was gloppy. It got that weird clear greasy sheen to it and the dairy took on a strange, almost "chunky" texture. I have no idea what I did to gently caress it up that badly.

Did you accidentally make paneer by bringing the cream to a simmer then adding the lemon juice? If that's the case you made cheese, congrats.

I always reduce the lemon juice first then add the cream and let it get warm and then mix in the butter until smooth. I don't let it boil again after the lemon juice reduces.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Josh Lyman posted:

A couple weeks ago, Amazon Treasure Truck had Porter & York 1/2 lb. Wagyu burgers, but while they were good, they weren't mind blowing.

This is next door to my regular weekend bar: https://buckheadrestaurants.com/restaurant/chops-lobster-bar-atl/

At $25/oz, is the 4 oz filet sufficient to get a full Wagyu experience or do I need to go for a larger piece?

Don't buy that poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SubG posted:

Also, ground cherries are a form of sandwich.

Ground cherries are cool and good until you grow them and have to peel enough to eat and then they are less cool and good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Loutre posted:

Every year I put up a couple of cherry tomato plants, and every year as soon as it ripens I make all these plans to make sauce or do something with it. Instead I just stand there like a fat retard and eat every god damned ripe fruit with a big fat smile on my face, then get sad when they're gone.

A good use of tomato.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Croatoan posted:

What in the hell would the breast temp be then? No wonder why so many people hate turkey.

Take it off at 150 for the breast, 160 for the thighs. They will rise during the rest.

Food safety is for the lowest common denominator. Salmonella lethality at 150 degrees is 91 seconds. You think your bird may be at 150 for more than 91 seconds? It's safe. 159 degrees is the instant kill zone. Which is why they say 165. Because you can't loving die from salmonella of you overcook the shi t out of it .

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Bread is the poo poo in a Dutch oven

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
You all should relocate to the South Bay. We don't burn down or mudslide around here. Except PV.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wroughtirony posted:

I poo poo you not your stunning etymological pedantry prowess came up over dinner tonight.

Why? Because dino is here for Christmas! It's amazing. Almost as amazing as his cooking is the fact that he laughs at all my dad's stupid jokes. I will understand if y'all have problems controlling your jealousy...

The only dino food i get is when I cook it from his cookbook.

So yes I am jealous

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Midniter posted:

Why isn't clotted cream more popular in the US? And by "more popular", really, I mean "a thing at all".

We made some on Saturday, chilled overnight, and had them with fresh baked cream biscuits for breakfast on Sunday. Holy poo poo, the amount of effort it took to make the clotted cream compared to how amazingly delicious it is absolutely blew me away. It's rich, sweet, buttery, silky, smooth...I just don't understand why it hasn't caught on here.

Because clotted cream takes effort to make and sour cream is good enough for us heathens.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wait what? Like egg beaters egg substitute?

Whenever my cast iron is being a bitch to clean I just burn the ever loving poo poo out of whatever's on there and brush off the carbonized stuff with a wire brush.

The correct technique

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jay Carney posted:

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

I am interested in this

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I hit the farmers market on Saturday and buy my eggs, mushrooms and seasonal veg. Then I hit the sale bins for meat and anything that's a tough cut gets portioned, seasoned and vacuum sealed for the tepid puddle and tossed in the freezer. My pantries are stocked with staples at all times for most styles of food. Having access to all the ethnic markets in LA is good for that.

After that it's either plan for sous vide or cook what feels good based on what's in the fridge. I keep roughly 80ish bottles of wine on hand so we shop for varietals monthly and choose what we drink that night from our stock or we drink cocktails or whiskey.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So I was working out a recipe with the tepid puddle machine and have decided that pork belly at 155F for 24 hours and then pressed (in sealed bag) for another 24 hours in the fridge then crisped under a low broiler (no bag this time) is the way to go for pork belly.

I have tried it many ways but this seems to be the most foolproof for me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I cook mostly with cast iron because it's the pan that's already on my stove top.

Same.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I like the San Pedro Fish Markets Habanero sauce. It's a spicy slather it in sauce. Dave's Insanity is really hot and good to use as an ingredient.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BraveUlysses posted:

from the schad thread:

Hahahahahah

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

CommonShore posted:

Or nice herbal teas, or a decaf cappucino. I'm a straight up sucker for diet root beer.

But yeah. That's basically how some servers act. "sigh, so you're -not- going to get drunk and rack up a $120 bill? I guess I won't pay any attention to you, then. Enjoy your water that I'm not going to refill."

I've had servers keep pushing beer/coctails on me after I ask what the non-alcoholic options are. One even said "well you can have one, right?"

No, gently caress you, I can't, and I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

When we went to Costa Di Mare in Vegas we didn't want to drink an entire bottle of 600 dollar wine and just wanted a few cocktail with dinner. The waiter seemed super pissed we didn't want wine and didn't want to order all 6 courses . I won't ever go back, once was enough.

Edit: we still rang up a 400 dollar bill so... There is that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
gently caress that salt guy. I have a few expensive finishing sakts but im not using them to make a brine for a loving giant turkey.

Also his "the French are le bestest at everything salt" can go gently caress right off.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Manuel Calavera posted:

What a baffling design decision.

Regardless of bad design she is getting torn apart in the comments and it's pretty funny.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BrianBoitano posted:

In our group chat:

I'm pretty sure anyone who writes articles online is numbed to the content of comments sections

Haha they aren't trolls, they legitimately disagree with the article. Especially not disclaiming that the "selmelier" owns an expensive salt company and would have an inherent bias against a competitors product that owns the market.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

VERTiG0 posted:

If you drink unactivated charcoal water you loving die

I eat organic charcoal briquets with the finest organic ethanol based lighter fluid embedded in them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wow rude. :colbert:
Now I'm wondering if Happy Hat is still around.

I only see him on Facebook these days.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

iospace posted:

Just when you think Skyline can't get any worse, it does:
https://twitter.com/WCPO/status/974314297672257536
:barf::barf::barf:

gently caress it I would eat it. I don't even know what Sky Lines is but I would at least try that to see if it tastes as bad as it looks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

tl;dr Boss gave me a houseplant and I ate it. No regerts.

MODS!! Thread title change please!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Be careful what you wish for.

You do God's work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BrianBoitano posted:

I reported it for false claims, based on the presliced bread gif.

You fuckstick, how am I supposed to get my VeganBlade now!!?!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

al-azad posted:

This is so bad you'd think it was satire or something.

I'm of the opinion that nachos should be treated as a dip. If whatever scooping device I have is insufficient without breaking in half or gets all soggy under layers of juicy meat, beans, and melted cheese then it's worthless garbage.

Nachos should be made like Chachos makes them. Stupidly big and taking 10 people to finish with enough poo poo through every layer that each chip has at least beans on them.

If you ever have the privilege of being in South Texas eat this

6 flavors of nachos, chicken and beef. Different meat, beans and cheese in each sixth. God I miss this poo poo.
Also yes that's a bowl of queso in the middle if you need it.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 8, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

fizzymercy posted:

It's not nachos until you're eating a loose casserole of delicious flavor. If you don't need a spoon by the end of the plate, you've failed at nachos.

I call all of the pickled jalapenos. Also a margarita or three supplemented with the flask in my purse. gently caress drat I love Chachos. Everyone go to one immediately.

This man knows!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m making a Mississippi pot roast and I want to do tacos with them. I was thinking a red cabbage slaw on top.

There seem to be two schools of thought on slaw. White wine or apple cider vinegar. Any of you fine goons have a preference?

Apple cider vinegar

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bartolimu posted:

Agreed. Chopped up tomatoes and/or onions are fine, but when I make guacamole, it's just avocado, lime (including a bit of zest), salt, and roasted green chiles.

I'm not a fan of tomatoes in it. When I make my guac it's avocado, lime, salt, onion, jalapeno and cilantro.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Manuel Calavera posted:

And also buy dino.s cookbook.

His cookbook is the poo poo

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Casu Marzu posted:

It is poo poo! Not a single recipe with meat in it, what a rip off.

Just add bacon and or steak to everything.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

theres a will theres moe posted:

Why is it you can straight up boil stew beef for ten hours and it still comes out pinkish on the inside

Nitrates in root veg (and other veg) can cause the beef to maintain a pink color inside. Onions are high in nitrates.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Casu Marzu posted:

Both. Especially if I have some older, wilty looking stuff to use up. Rough chop and goes in the pot for flavor. Once it's mush I'll discard and add new veg and cook until just tender.

this. brown meat, remove
add wilty and root veg, herbs and stock, remove
brown new root veg, strain stock into, add chicken, cook until done
add peas and poo poo that just need warming up.
serve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been on my own for 8 months now, and I barely cook at all, unless I'm having someone over to cook for. I'm eating far too much garbage. The good news is armageddon is just around the corner so that should take me before my bad eating habits do.

When I moved to LA and was here for a month before my wife moved out I found that only the sous vizzle saved me.

I would prep on Sunday and freeze the bags. Then I woukd throw a bag in either before I left for work or when I got home every day, depending on what was in it. Then sauteed some fresh veg and called it dinner.

Edit: then I quit smoking and got loving fat.